Sign in to follow this  
Joe Carcuss

Has Poker on TV jumped the shark?

Back when ESPN would show the World Series once a year, it was always a decent show to watch but now there are 5+ poker shows every night, most of which are complete garbage! I mean who the hell really wants to see B level "celebrities" play cards with chips/money given to them by the show?

Poker use to be great game. When I went to AC or a high stakes house game it was real men only now it's a bunch of 20 something punks and their twit girlfriends going "all in" every other hand! God damn ESPN and the media are killing what use to be a great thing!

Just like anything, they have made a mockery out of it.

It has jumped the shark and I can't stand watching it anymore.

:rolleyes:

The other result of this mockery is now EVERYONE is a poker "expert". You get goofballs who play online all day and watch poker shows all night and all of a sudden it's like they invented the game. Back when I first started playing in the 80's, there was very little table/trash talk. People ran the risk of getting themselves seriously injuried by talking nonsense at the table. Now a days some punk wins a $200 pot by getting a lucky straight on 5th street and he gets up and does a dance at the table!

I will still watch WSOP shows....like the commentary ones they have of the past two winners of the 10K Grand Event. Also will watch the WPT on occasion but usually a repeat now since it's against LOST much of the time. Def. a lot of bad poker shows now though.

I would still place it right above watching fisting.

B) and you love that :rolleyes:

:clap:

The other result of this mockery is now EVERYONE is a poker "expert". You get goofballs who play online all day and watch poker shows all night and all of a sudden it's like they invented the game. Back when I first started playing in the 80's, there was very little table/trash talk. People ran the risk of getting themselves seriously injuried by talking nonsense at the table. Now a days some punk wins a $200 pot by getting a lucky straight on 5th street and he gets up and does a dance at the table!

I have been playing serious trash talk poker since the '80s. If can't trash or take it, you can't play in my eyes. Now I agree with you that the b.s. luck dance is uncalled for when an eye contact head nod is what is called for.

TV: I like the WPT shows. They don't show 'real' poker which is for the most part boring as all hell, but it's entertaining nonetheless. The announcers guys are decent at keeping the interest level high.

The guys that do the WSOP commentary are hysterical. The events are good, they make it that much better.

Live games: All that the popularity of TV/online poker has done is draw a lot of guppies into to ocean. You don't have to be a shark to eat well. People are handing their money away on the 1-2 NL ring games at Foxwoods. I'd say 10% of the people at the tables during the weekends have absolutely no business being at a poker table. Most of the other are 'OK-ish' players. Generally I find that I'm one of the 2 or three most 'solid' players on any given 1-2 table, so I'm totally fine with how TV coverage has grown the pasttime.

And I have never run into any real asstrousers at the live tables. Everyone is pretty laid back, except for some that will grumble about bad beats & suck outs for a while, or get in someone's face with stuff like "You called my preflop raise with 86 off?!?!?!" and "How do you make that call!!!" after getting sucked out/bad beaten for a big pot.

I like any show that shows the actual poker going on, not just the "all in" hands like WSOP mostly shows.

The Heartland Poker tour and the like are freakin terrible.

it is way way overshown i agree, and i echo i would love to see more tourney's cash games as a whole. i mean i would love to see when everyone gets crap constantly, how they play those hands, and the middle hands, not just the all in coin flips and the like.

I like the celebrity poker shows in a "car wreck" kinda way. My late night insomnia last night found me watching Chandler from Friends, Michael ? from Alias and some Jewish female (probably 34B) as the final three. Elliot from Law & Order - SVU and a couple others had already been eliminated.

They were such bunglers it was entertaining, and the announcer was having a great time with it. I play approximately once / month with a group of friends and I'm admittedly not great, but I coulda crushed these jokers! I'd call it a situational comedy...

Back when ESPN would show the World Series once a year, it was always a decent show to watch but now there are 5+ poker shows every night, most of which are complete garbage! I mean who the hell really wants to see B level "celebrities" play cards with chips/money given to them by the show?

Poker use to be great game. When I went to AC or a high stakes house game it was real men only now it's a bunch of 20 something punks and their twit girlfriends going "all in" every other hand! God damn ESPN and the media are killing what use to be a great thing!

let me guess, you're one of those guys who was playing texas hold'em "before it was cool" :huh:

but your right, poker jumped the shark about a year ago (watching that is). i'll still play from time to time, but i wont watch it anymore

Never watched it. To me, it would be like watching fishing or Nascar. Or grass growing.

let me guess, you're one of those guys who was playing texas hold'em "before it was cool" :wacko:

but your right, poker jumped the shark about a year ago (watching that is). i'll still play from time to time, but i wont watch it anymore

I can speak for myself and say that I never played texas hold 'em before it was cool, because it's the worst game in the world to play for a dealers choice game. There are so many better games to play in a dealers choice money game. I've been playing cards since the 80's too and hold 'em sucked then and it sucks now, UNLESS you're playing no limit.

That's ALL I play.... :wacko:

In a dealers choice game hold 'em is the worst game there is.

There are too many hold 'em experts now and not enough CARD players. What happend to playing dealers choice instead of the same game for 8 hours?

In a dealers choice game hold 'em is the worst game there is.

There are too many hold 'em experts now and not enough CARD players. What happend to playing dealers choice instead of the same game for 8 hours?

It depends on your point in playing. I play to make money in addition to having fun. I want to "master" one game before moving on to the next. I'm pretty good at Hold 'Em but not perfect. I want to become good at Omaha and it's next on my list. However, at this point I'm not willing to go through the learning curve. I'm sure you're an expert at all of the games though :wacko:

Once there's a "celebrity" version of anything it has officially jumped the shark.

These people are actors, who the fock cares if they can play poker, lose weight, cook, etc.

For the love of god ENOUGH!!!

Once there's a "celebrity" version of anything it has officially jumped the shark.

These people are actors, who the fock cares if they can play poker, lose weight, cook, etc.

yeah but celebrity jeopardy can be fun sometimes.

I don't watch poker anymore but if it was a choice between that and some late night rerun of a 70's b-movie chick flick that seems to dominate most channels, I'll take the poker.

:blink: "reality" TV is the WORST and the fact that they are dragging poker down into that sess pool of mindless garbage is the main point of the thread!

Does a major network broadcast (notice, I said BROADCAST) poker? I'd watch Poker on NBC before I'd watch Survivor or American Idol. Wouldnt you?

Deal ........ or No Deal?

Does a major network broadcast (notice, I said BROADCAST) poker? I'd watch Poker on NBC before I'd watch the Sopranos on HBO. Of course my TV gets NBC. No cabe.

Deal ........ or No Deal?

I think it is NBC that has the heads up tourney on Sat. afternoons.

I think it is NBC that has the heads up tourney on Sat. afternoons.

That's a good call. Expect more.

But dumbfocks like Deal or No Deal. " I new she shoulda opened #23!"

How about Heads .... or Tails? That could be a game show.