Sign in to follow this  
yanivsme

Ronnie Brown

JScott, the answer to your question is 7 hours, 31 minutes.

:huh:

So true.

Ronnie Brown was the second overall pick in the 2005 draft and instantly packed his bags for Miami just to find out Nick Saban was allowing all-pro Ricky Williams back on the team. Brown entered the season starter but it was obvious week 17 who the better back was. Brown, who ran a 4.49 at the combine in Indianapolis still rushed for 907 yards on the season, as well as 4 touchdowns. Ricky Williams put up 743 rushing yards and 6 touchdowns. What's the point I am trying to make you think? Well, Williams was suspended the first four games of the season for violating the league's substance abuse policy. Williams suspension gave Ronnie Brown a 4-game head start over his counterpart. Now do his numbers look like he really had a 4-game head start on Williams? Hell no! Brown was indecisive, not quick-footed, and only ran for 100 plus yards twice in the 15 games he started. Williams on the other hand slowly grew into his role as he re-acquainted himself with the football field. Williams ran for 80 plus yards 5 times in 2004, 4 of the games where he did so he split carries with Ronnie Brown. Ronnie Brown ran for 80 plus yards just 4 times in 2005. Two of those 80 plus games came with Ricky Williams on suspension.

Ronnie Brown's career may soon be where former Rookie of the Year Anthony Thomas' career is currently. A journeyman who suited up for 3 different teams in one season. Brown could not take advantage while he had the chance. He will have ample opportunity to redeem himself in 2006 but he must exceed expectations by a mile. Hopefully he will because if he doesn't, he will be an after thought like Lamar Smith.

Let the Brown hype begin!

Let's not get too excited about his prospects. This is still not a very good offensive team (who's starting at QB), and the D has been in decline. Granted, they are in a pretty easy division with Buffalo and the Jets sucking, but I don't think I'm ready to annoint this guy as a top 5 RB for the year. I think Caddy has a much more solid supporting cast and will have a better year overall, but I don't think either will be top 5.

Ronnie Brown was the second overall pick in the 2005 draft and instantly packed his bags for Miami just to find out Nick Saban was allowing all-pro Ricky Williams back on the team. Brown entered the season starter but it was obvious week 17 who the better back was. Brown, who ran a 4.49 at the combine in Indianapolis still rushed for 907 yards on the season, as well as 4 touchdowns. Ricky Williams put up 743 rushing yards and 6 touchdowns. What's the point I am trying to make you think? Well, Williams was suspended the first four games of the season for violating the league's substance abuse policy. Williams suspension gave Ronnie Brown a 4-game head start over his counterpart. Now do his numbers look like he really had a 4-game head start on Williams? Hell no! Brown was indecisive, not quick-footed, and only ran for 100 plus yards twice in the 15 games he started. Williams on the other hand slowly grew into his role as he re-acquainted himself with the football field. Williams ran for 80 plus yards 5 times in 2004, 4 of the games where he did so he split carries with Ronnie Brown. Ronnie Brown ran for 80 plus yards just 4 times in 2005. Two of those 80 plus games came with Ricky Williams on suspension.

Ronnie Brown's career may soon be where former Rookie of the Year Anthony Thomas' career is currently. A journeyman who suited up for 3 different teams in one season. Brown could not take advantage while he had the chance. He will have ample opportunity to redeem himself in 2006 but he must exceed expectations by a mile. Hopefully he will because if he doesn't, he will be an after thought like Lamar Smith.

This is pretty extreme and a fairly biased look at what happened in Miami last year. And, comparing him to Anthony Thomas after one season is ridiculous. Besides, Thomas wasn't even a high draft pick.

Again, this is really, really overdramatized. Brown got his career off to a good start last year...........

Countdown to "What does the Williams suspension do to Ronnie Brown's value" post

3... 2... 1...

JScott, the answer to your question is 7 hours, 31 minutes.

:banana: Like f'n clockwork :lol:

This is absolutely ridiculous. Ronnie Brown is a complete NFL back. This is obviously a regurgitated, biased article from someone who only watched his first 2 games.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Ronnie Brown is a complete NFL back. This is obviously a regurgitated, biased article from someone who only watched his first 2 games.

Agreed.

RBrown definitely cracks the top 10, no doubt. I'd rank them (in a PPR league):

LJ

LT

SA

Tiki

Portis

Jordan

SJax

Edge

RBrown

Westbrook

1,500 total yds. and 10 TD's look good for Brown.

The Dolphins look like geniuses now that Ricky is out for the year. With no RBBC in Miami, Ronnie will put up some sick numbers.

Top 7 IMO.

SA

LT

LJ

Tiki

Portis

Edge

RBrown

:clap: The guy splits time in a true RBBC, with Gus Frerrotte under center, actually does pretty well with over 900 yards on limited carries (207, with 4.4 ypc -- which is a higher average than LT2, Edge, Portis, Rudi, LaMont Jordan, Cadillac, and Steven Jackson), and he's evoking comparisons to Lamar Smith and A-Train. :o Many arguments could be made why Ronnie Brown is superior to A-Train, such as the fact that, splitting time, he was 21st in rushing yards in the NFL last year, and had roughly a hundred less yards total than Lamont Jordan or Steven Jackson. Add Ricky's yards to his, and the Miami RB had 1650 yards last year (only Alexander, Tiki, and LJ had more), but I'll leave pumping Brown up to someone else.

As important as his level of talent (which I think is, at worst, higher than A-Train's) is the fact that (1) Brown will be the only guy in Miami (gets Ricky's 168 carries from 2005); (2), he'll have Culpepper at QB, with McMichael/Chambers receiving to open up running lanes more than last year; and (3) a very good defense to give this offense lots of opportunities. I think this team should be very good. Whatever you think of A-Train, he had the misfortune of playing with such hall of shame players like Cade McNown, Kordell Stewart, Chris Chandler (the 50 year old version), David Terrell, Dez White, Marty Booker (who was good for a time, but if this is the best WR you play with over your career, you are in trouble). These were the stars of one of the worst offenses in the league. Say what you want about Brown, but put A-Train as the starting RB on this Culpepper-led Dolphins team, and he would probably be a top 20 pick right now, if not higher.

The combination of talent + situation should make Ronnie Brown a top 10 RB, and worthy of a late first round, early second round pick in redrafts.

:lol: The guy splits time in a true RBBC, with Gus Frerrotte under center, actually does pretty well with over 900 yards on limited carries (207, with 4.4 ypc -- which is a higher average than LT2, Edge, Portis, Rudi, LaMont Jordan, Cadillac, and Steven Jackson), and he's evoking comparisons to Lamar Smith and A-Train. :huh: Many arguments could be made why Ronnie Brown is superior to A-Train, such as the fact that, splitting time, he was 21st in rushing yards in the NFL last year, and had roughly a hundred less yards total than Lamont Jordan or Steven Jackson. Add Ricky's yards to his, and the Miami RB had 1650 yards last year (only Alexander, Tiki, and LJ had more), but I'll leave pumping Brown up to someone else.

As important as his level of talent (which I think is, at worst, higher than A-Train's) is the fact that (1) Brown will be the only guy in Miami (gets Ricky's 168 carries from 2005); (2), he'll have Culpepper at QB, with McMichael/Chambers receiving to open up running lanes more than last year; and (3) a very good defense to give this offense lots of opportunities. I think this team should be very good. Whatever you think of A-Train, he had the misfortune of playing with such hall of shame players like Cade McNown, Kordell Stewart, Chris Chandler (the 50 year old version), David Terrell, Dez White, Marty Booker (who was good for a time, but if this is the best WR you play with over your career, you are in trouble). These were the stars of one of the worst offenses in the league. Say what you want about Brown, but put A-Train as the starting RB on this Culpepper-led Dolphins team, and he would probably be a top 20 pick right now, if not higher.

The combination of talent + situation should make Ronnie Brown a top 10 RB, and worthy of a late first round, early second round pick in redrafts.

A Train was a stud in college and in rookie year... just an FYI .

I got the article off of virtuapigskin.com -- but the site doesn't seem to be active any longer :(

I didn't see much of Brown last year, but saw him ALOT at Auburn (big Auburn fan), and I thought he was the better of the two RBs in college, but I take Caddy over Brown this fantasy season.

A Train was a stud in college and in rookie year... just an FYI .

I got the article off of virtuapigskin.com -- but the site doesn't seem to be active any longer :thumbsdown:

I didn't see much of Brown last year, but saw him ALOT at Auburn (big Auburn fan), and I thought he was the better of the two RBs in college, but I take Caddy over Brown this fantasy season.

I value Caddy, Ronnie, and SJax about the same. Not sure who I'd pick first.

A-Train had 1100 yards (less than Antowaine Smith) and 7 TD's (same as Ron Dayne) his rookie year. Pretty good, but I'm not sure that's stud status. And lots of RB's were studs in college (J.J. Arrington, William Green, Curtis Enis), that's presumably a pre-requesite to being drafted. Just an FYI.

I value Caddy, Ronnie, and SJax about the same. Not sure who I'd pick first.

I'd take Caddy first out of this group. Not that close imo

:P

So true.

What are u the geek police????Isnt this a fantasy football forum that talks about football news. Go join a chess club if this bores you. Should we all ask your permission about what topics we can start? :banana:

Really? Both Cadillac and Steven Jackson had 1300 total yards, but Caddy had 6 TD's to Jackson's 10 (because Caddy was pulled at the goal line). In my main league they scored 240 and 233 fantasy points respectively. Jackson caught 43 passes (20 more than Caddy, which matters in ppr leagues), and Jackson had a higher rushing average, just fewer carries. If either situation has changed, Stevie's has gotten better. I like Cadillac, but other than gut feeling, I don't know how you can say they aren't close. My gut tells me Ronnie outscores both.

Really? Both Cadillac and Steven Jackson had 1300 total yards, but Caddy had 6 TD's to Jackson's 10 (because Caddy was pulled at the goal line). In my main league they scored 240 and 233 fantasy points respectively. Jackson caught 43 passes (20 more than Caddy, which matters in ppr leagues), and Jackson had a higher rushing average, just fewer carries. If either situation has changed, Stevie's has gotten better. I like Cadillac, but other than gut feeling, I don't know how you can say they aren't close. My gut tells me Ronnie outscores both.

I agree that Ronnie is the choice between Caddy, SJax, and Brown. Last year, when LaMont was signed by the Raiders, I predicted he'd be top five and was laughed at by each of the 15 other owners. LaMont finished #5 in our league among RB's. Why did I predict that before last year? Simply because of opportunity and talent. Very few RB's play or have the abilities to stay on the field all three downs plus goal line. I knew LaMont was big enough to stay in at the goal line and I knew he could catch the ball well to stay in on 3rd down. Fast forward to this year. Ronnie Brown is very similar. Great hands, so there is really no need to take him out on 3rd down. Big enough to be a goal line back also. Add to this the fact that Saban by nature is a defensive minded coach and we all know that head coaches with a defensive background tend to lean on the running game for offense. I'll say right now that Ronnie Brown is top five. I even told the owner of Ronnie Brown in our league that it wouldn't surprise me if he was #1 when all is said and done.

Ronnie is clearly a top 10 RB now, based on two things:

1) We've seen enough in one year to know he is not a bust a la JJ Arrington.

2) It's his show. As long as Culpepper is QB, there will be running lanes.

He becomes one of the few solid franchise, non-RBBC, players and that makes him a top 15 overall fantasy pick.

Now...

If, unlike last year, the Dolphins actually maximize his impressive receiving skills, Brown could creep into the top 5 RBs for total fantasy points.

He'd be my last choice. Alstott at the goalline and Pittman on third downs.

He'd be my last choice. Alstott at the goalline and Pittman on third downs.

plus i remember caddy sitting out for awhile and when he came back, nothing special. Ronnie on the other hand has a good offense, anybody at qb is better than the bucs. Simms gettin it done day in and day out...eh. I think daunte will be back plaing better than average but not spectacluar which should def help that offense. I think ronnie will have better #'s than edge as well, this thread has edge before him. Dont know much about the oline in miami but but i know its not great..maybe look in the draft

Without knowing the status of Culpepper's rehab, there is no way I would put Brown in the top 10 right now... especially over SJax and Caddy. He did nothing last year to impress me while watching him run. Admittedly I didn't see much of him but I did own him for a couple of weeks (something like 7-10) and wasn't impressed at that time. Caddy definitely ran with a lot more conviction. Jackson is up in the air as far as what he will do... while I like Linehan's track record for running the football, but there are early talks from Linehan of utilizing Marshall more.

When asked about needing a RB in the draft.

Saban declined to comment Wednesday on how the suspension alters the Dolphins’ draft priorities. But they don’t consider Brown a workhorse running back, and with Sammy Morris and Travis Minor behind him on the depth chart, the position needs an upgrade.

“That’s something we’ve always looked at as a two-starter position,” Saban said earlier this month. “That has been my history as a coach, to always have two guys at that position that can play and share the load. I don’t think that would change any if we had the opportunity to do something.”

Running-back prospects Miami might consider in round one are LenDale White of Southern California, DeAngelo Williams of Memphis and Laurence Maroney of Minnesota.

Saban’s first draft as a head coach last year produced three rookie starters and three other players still on the roster. He’d be happy to fare that well again this weekend, but it’s won’t be easy.

RBBC coach! He had the same thing at LSU. He is defensive minded, but don't think he doesn't have a say. R. Brown has yet to carry the load for his team always splitting carries. Not saying he won't be great, but I not going to say I think he will be.

plus i remember caddy sitting out for awhile and when he came back, nothing special. Ronnie on the other hand has a good offense, anybody at qb is better than the bucs. Simms gettin it done day in and day out...eh. I think daunte will be back plaing better than average but not spectacluar which should def help that offense. I think ronnie will have better #'s than edge as well, this thread has edge before him. Dont know much about the oline in miami but but i know its not great..maybe look in the draft

he had good weeks in 14 and 16 which are critical dates in most ff leagues. He just looks alot more explosive than the other two guys to me. He missed a couple of games and still rushed for almost 1200yds. I'm still not sure what kind of backs S.Jackson or R.Brown are yet. They just seem a little slow to me.

When asked about needing a RB in the draft.

Saban declined to comment Wednesday on how the suspension alters the Dolphins’ draft priorities. But they don’t consider Brown a workhorse running back, and with Sammy Morris and Travis Minor behind him on the depth chart, the position needs an upgrade.

“That’s something we’ve always looked at as a two-starter position,” Saban said earlier this month. “That has been my history as a coach, to always have two guys at that position that can play and share the load. I don’t think that would change any if we had the opportunity to do something.”

Running-back prospects Miami might consider in round one are LenDale White of Southern California, DeAngelo Williams of Memphis and Laurence Maroney of Minnesota.

Saban’s first draft as a head coach last year produced three rookie starters and three other players still on the roster. He’d be happy to fare that well again this weekend, but it’s won’t be easy.

What a joke. You seriously think that Miami or any team would draft and then pay back-2-back first round RBs (Brown was #2 overall, for the love of Mike)? How about a link for this "news" article, which quotes Saban talking about having a 2-headed RB situation before Ricky's suspension, then says he now has no comment after it, and of course thus concludes that "they don't consider [brown] a workhorse running back," and will clearly draft another blue chip RB. :huh: Sure, lots of teams draft 6' 225 change of pace running backs with the second overall pick to play part time. :lol: Brown received the richest NFL rookie contract ever for a non-quarterback, $34 million, with 19.9 guaranteed money. Chances of the dolphins drating another top running back? Zero.

What a joke. You seriously think that Miami or any team would draft and then pay back-2-back first round RBs (Brown was #2 overall, for the love of Mike)? How about a link for this "news" article, which quotes Saban talking about having a 2-headed RB situation before Ricky's suspension, then says he now has no comment after it, and of course thus concludes that "they don't consider [brown] a workhorse running back," and will clearly draft another blue chip RB. :huh: Sure, lots of teams draft a 6' 225 change of pace running backs with the second overall pick to play part time. :lol: Brown received the richest NFL rookie contract ever for a non-quarterback, $34 million, with 19.9 guaranteed money. Chances of hte dolphins drating another top running back? Zero.

I never said that they were going to draft a RB in the first round. What I meant by this is that Saban has the mind set of a coach that favors the RBBC approach. I think that Miami will go defense in the first round. However if they had a 2nd round, yes I think Saban would grab Addai if available, without any hestiation.

I asked the guy I got this from for a link, but he works in a news room and there is no site.

I asked the guy I got this from for a link, but he works in a news room and there is no site.

Not surprising. Ronnie Brown is their guy, your friend from the news room' siteless story notwithstanding.

Ronnie Brown is going to be a stud. If Ricky didn't get looks Ronnie would have had a monster year. I think he'll have 1400 some yards and 9 tds.

My Running Bank rankings:

1. Shaun Alexander

2. L. Tomlinson

3. Larry Johnson

4. Edgerrin James

5. Tiki Barber

6. Clinton Portis

7. Ronnie Brown

Although I think there is a drop off from Portis to Ronnie Brown. R. Brown in the second round should be a good pick depending on what receivers are still available.

Not sure if I would rather Draft Antonio Gates or Ronnie Brown if I had to choose at this point.

P. Manning, Steve Smith, T. Owens, R. Moss, M. Harrison, and Chad Johnson should be considered strongly ahead of Ronnie Brown.

I think Ronnie Brown is a good pick, but don't know if I'd take him in the first round of a 10 or 12 team fantasy draft.

Side note: I think Julius Jones is a sleeper pick as well especially late 2nd round or in the 3rd round.

I never said that they were going to draft a RB in the first round. What I meant by this is that Saban has the mind set of a coach that favors the RBBC approach. I think that Miami will go defense in the first round. However if they had a 2nd round, yes I think Saban would grab Addai if available, without any hestiation.

Didn't really look like a RBBC coach to me last year. When he had two stud backs he played them but when Ricky was suspended, Ronnie got the full load and when Ronnie got hurt at the end of the season, Ricky got 25 carries a game.

Ronnie will be a stud, especially if C Pepper doesn't steal his one yarders!

If Deangelo Williams is there at 16 and Saban has him graded highest, he'll take him. Just as he'd take a QB there (as he's stated) if he thought there was value in the pick.

Personally, I think there's a good possibility that Saban trades down and grabs Addai from LSU and an extra pick.

Didn't really look like a RBBC coach to me last year. When he had two stud backs he played them but when Ricky was suspended, Ronnie got the full load and when Ronnie got hurt at the end of the season, Ricky got 25 carries a game.

Yeah, when a Rb is hurt the other one will get a majority of the carries. Look beyond this year and look at Saban at LSU. Toefield and D. Davis. J. Vincent, A. Broussard, S. Carey, J. Addai. All of them split carries throughout the season. R. Brown has not proven he can carry the load of the carries. His injury at the end of the season should only be more of a concern. Again I maybe wrong, but I would take my luck with Caddy and SJax first. Saban has stood tall defending R. Williams, and what's going to happen when he comes around in 07? His trade value will be nothing.

If Deangelo Williams is there at 16 and Saban has him graded highest, he'll take him. Just as he'd take a QB there (as he's stated) if he thought there was value in the pick.

Personally, I think there's a good possibility that Saban trades down and grabs Addai from LSU and an extra pick.

Miami needs too much for Saban to grab a RB in the 1st 2 rounds. The fins are on the cusp and a high round drafted RB would probably be the stupidest move he could make and he knows it. They are no longer rebuilding, they are playing for this year and next and the next. They might draft a RB or sign a free agent but no way they draft a RB in the top 2 rounds.

The Dolphins need a Wide Receiver. I expect them to draft either Chris Jackson or Santonio Holmes. Ronnie Brown was the 2nd overall pick last year. It would be a huge mistake to draft another running back in the first round and it's NOT gonna happen.

The Dolphins need a Wide Receiver. I expect them to draft either Chris Jackson or Santonio Holmes. Ronnie Brown was the 2nd overall pick last year. It would be a huge mistake to draft another running back in the first round and it's NOT gonna happen.

Saban's said his strategy is to draft BPA in the 1st round and fill holes in the following rounds. He'll take the best player on the board at #16.

Yeah, when a Rb is hurt the other one will get a majority of the carries. Look beyond this year and look at Saban at LSU. Toefield and D. Davis. J. Vincent, A. Broussard, S. Carey, J. Addai. All of them split carries throughout the season. R. Brown has not proven he can carry the load of the carries. His injury at the end of the season should only be more of a concern. Again I maybe wrong, but I would take my luck with Caddy and SJax first. Saban has stood tall defending R. Williams, and what's going to happen when he comes around in 07? His trade value will be nothing.

I'd look more at Mularkey than Saban. Saban is a defensive minded coach. Mularkey will run the offense. I can't fathom a team taking a back at #2 overall and then putting him in a RBBC. If they didn't feel he could shoulder the load they wouldn;t have drafted him that high. They might have another guy spell him, but I'd be shocked if he didn't get 75% of the carries.

What are u the geek police????Isnt this a fantasy football forum that talks about football news. Go join a chess club if this bores you. Should we all ask your permission about what topics we can start? :thumbsup:

1.) You might want to grow some thicker skin.

2.) Your one of about 1000 "what does this do to (fill in the blank)'s value?" posters. As soon as a player gets hurt, suspended, traded, etc. it's a 100% lock that someone follows up with this type of post. What, did you think RB's value would go down? :banana:

HTH