Sign in to follow this  
Sweetness_34

Matt Millen

AP reports Detroit Lions president Matt Millen said the team had LB Ernie Sims, the team's first-round pick taken No. 9 overall, rated as the fourth- or fifth-best prospect in the whole draft. Millen added the team had him rated higher than DB Michael Huff, who was taken by the Oakland Raiders No. 7 overall.

===================

4th or 5th best prospect in the draft?????

So Millen thinks Ernie-I-am-small-and-concussed was only worse than - Mario, Reggie, DBrick, Young????

So Ernie was better prospect that Hawk, Vernon Davis, Huff, Leinart.....

4th or 5th best prospect? Classic Millen evaluation, in line with the Harrington, Charles Rogers, BMW, Roy W etc etc :banana:

He has a history of going best available - but blew it by passing on Leinart.

Simms is a LB - he wont change the game like a QB will...

:banana:

they had him rated ahead of huff. that was reported on friday.

yeah, and if they would have drafted limp-armed leinhart, you guys would have blasted millen for taking another player on offense for the sixth year in a row :banana:

but this pick was marinelli's. skewer him if you'd like.

He has a history of going best available - but blew it by passing on Leinart.

Simms is a LB - he wont change the game like a QB will...

:banana:

I'm not defending Millen whatsoever, but I think taking a QB would have been really dumb. The Lions have Kitna starting with McCown itching like crazy to pass Kitna in Camp. Then you have Shaun King and Dan Orlovsky as the 3rd option.

If the Lions took a QB then they'd have to cut either Kitna or McCown and take a salary cap hit on one of those two because they were both signed this year. The cut would likely be Kitna because McCown got a bigger contract with more bonus money.

Meanwhile the defense continues to get older and more unproductive with only one marqee player in Shaun Rogers. This Sims guy is not one I am totally behind, but I know he's a hard hitter and can play from sideline to sideline. He's a defenite upgrade from Alex Lewis or James Davis.

Josh McCown could turn into a frachise QB with Martz teaching him the tricks of the trade.

QB would have been a very dumb move on Detroit's part this year at 1.09.

I did a hell of an impression of Millen a few years ago when I was pimping Terence Newman. Thank god they went with Palmer.

Everytime I see his name in print or see his face on television, it reminds me how idiotic a hiring he was. Ford Sr., while loyal, is perhaps the worst forward-thinker in the league.

Hiring a broadcaster to run your organization with no prior experience? Makes all the sense in the world to me. :banana: The worst five-year record in team history? Let's reward him with a five-year extension. Pitiful, pitiful, pitiful.

they had him rated ahead of huff. that was reported on friday.

yeah, and if they would have drafted limp-armed leinhart, you guys would have blasted millen for taking another player on offense for the sixth year in a row :ninja:

but this pick was marinelli's. skewer him if you'd like.

Oh, so we should skewer Marinelli and not Millen for this pick. Yet you blast Jerry A, and not Lovie, when Lovie's inputs are what led to us drafting defense this year. Typical ignorance and BS from you.....

I have you rated as the 4th or 5th best poster here :banana:

PS: Bears drafted all offense with their top 4 picks last year. (Benson, Bradley, Orton, Currie)...3 of which did not play last year mich due to injuries....something to think about

Oh, so we should skewer Marinelli and not Millen for this pick. Yet you blast Jerry A, and not Lovie, when Lovie's inputs are what led to us drafting defense this year. Typical ignorance and BS from you.....

I have you rated as the 4th or 5th best poster here :banana:

PS: Bears drafted all offense with their top 4 picks last year. (Benson, Bradley, Orton, Currie)...3 of which did not play last year mich due to injuries....something to think about

okay, then lovie deserves to be blasted for the bears focked up draft, too. thanks for clarifying.

the bears focked up royally this weekend. end of discussion.

I'm not defending Millen whatsoever, but I think taking a QB would have been really dumb. The Lions have Kitna starting with McCown itching like crazy to pass Kitna in Camp. Then you have Shaun King and Dan Orlovsky as the 3rd option.

If the Lions took a QB then they'd have to cut either Kitna or McCown and take a salary cap hit on one of those two because they were both signed this year. The cut would likely be Kitna because McCown got a bigger contract with more bonus money.

Meanwhile the defense continues to get older and more unproductive with only one marqee player in Shaun Rogers. This Sims guy is not one I am totally behind, but I know he's a hard hitter and can play from sideline to sideline. He's a defenite upgrade from Alex Lewis or James Davis.

Josh McCown could turn into a frachise QB with Martz teaching him the tricks of the trade.

Very valid points thedanzone :dunno:

okay, then lovie deserves to be blasted for the bears focked up draft, too. thanks for clarifying.

You act as if judging a draft before a single player drafted sets foot on a field is intelligent. :dunno:

terry foster of the detroit news this morning said on detroit radio that the great majority of lion players did NOT want to draft a QB in the 1st round, "especially a Hollywood primadonna like Leinart." he said it would have been a joey situation all over again. only worse.

foster loved the sims pick--and this from a guy who has always held millen's toes to the fire.

It would have been nice had we only acquired one QB so that we could have drafted Leinart or Cutler, but Millen screwed that up too.

You act as if judging a draft before a single player drafted sets foot on a field is intelligent. :dunno:

nothing to do with that. the players the bears drafted could end up contributing. but they ignored offense in the draft and reinforced an area that already was a strength.

It is hilarious seeing you obsess about the Bears and Packers more than your own team. :dunno:

It is hilarious seeing you obsess about the Bears and Packers more than your own team. :dunno:

really? hey, newsflash: look what thread you're posting in here. you just posted about me obsessing about the bears...in a thread about matt millen that YOU, the resident bear homers of all homers, started.

priceless.

owned.

nothing to do with that. the players the bears drafted could end up contributing. but they ignored offense in the draft and reinforced an area that already was a strength.

And you continue to ignore facts that the Bears have continuously been upgraded their offense the last 2 years in FA and draft, many of who did not get to play last year due to health issues. Rex Grossman/Griese, Bradley, Currie, Benson will all play this year.

In FA:

Signed/re-signed John Tait, Fred Miller, Reuben Brown, Thomas Jones, Muhsin Muhammad, St Clair, Metcalf, Griese

Drafted Cedric Benson, Currie, Bradley, Orton

But you keep believing whatever you want. You are in the same class as Millen when it comes to football acumen. :lol:

really? hey, newsflash: look what thread you're posting in here. you just posted about me obsessing about the bears...in a thread about matt millen that YOU, the resident bear homers of all homers, started.

priceless.

owned.

What is priceless is Millen's buffoonry. Do not blame me when your buttbuddy Millen continues to prove to be a moron when it comes to football acumen.

Ernie as 4th best prospect in draft? :dunno:

And you continue to ignore facts that the Bears have continuously been upgraded their offense the last 2 years in FA and draft, many of who did not get to play last year due to health issues. Rex Grossman/Griese, Bradley, Currie, Benson will all play this year.

In FA:

Signed/re-signed John Tait, Fred Miller, Reuben Brown, Thomas Jones, Muhsin Muhammad, St Clair, Metcalf, Griese

Drafted Cedric Benson, Currie, Bradley, Orton

But you keep believing whatever you want. You are in the same class as Millen when it comes to football acumen. :lol:

What is priceless is Millen's buffoonry. Do not blame me when your buttbuddy Millen continues to prove to be a moron when it comes to football acumen.

Ernie as 4th best prospect in draft? :blink:

so they drafted all offense last year and still blew on offense? sounds like they needed more offense this year.

and yes, you're still obsessing about the lions :blink:

Swamp puppy, your love of the Lions is admirable, but I must say, as a reformed Lions fan myself, it sounds like the past missteps of this organization hasn't swayed your enthusiasm for this team. I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember the days of Russ Thomas calling the shots and all the questionable moves they made then, and quite frankly, continue to make today.

This team hasn't won IN 50 YEARS!!! FIFTY YEARS!!! It comes a time when fans (like myself) simply have to throw in the towel and say to hell with this organization. So if waving your honolulu blue and silver pom-poms in the air makes you feel better go right ahead; just be prepared for the inevitable backlash from cats like sweetness and DrJ and others.

:popcorninhand:

I dont obsess about either of your teams and I think that the Lions made a mistake not taking Leinert as well...His Leadership abilites dwarf anything that Harrington brought to the table the past few years, with Martz and those potential Wide Receivers then this could have worked....everything starts and ends with the QB in the NFL and its been plainly obvious in two previous stops for Kitna that he wasnt a franchise QB and McCown looked good during times but looked lost at other times.

Leinert is about as NFL ready as any QB since PManning....Bottom Line is they made a mistake

and I dont think the Bears did an exceptional job either..but thats another story

so they drafted all offense last year and still blew on offense? sounds like they needed more offense this year.

and yes, you're still obsessing about the lions :blink:

Oh so, then all NFL teams should give up on players after 1 year if they were injured?

I guess then the Lydowns should have drafted another WR this yea given how all 3 of their WRs are lazy/drugged/slow/injured.....right?

I guess they shoul dhave drafted a QB given how miuch their QBs blow....and you cannot count Kitna/Mccown since you do not want to count Griese for the Bears

Keep digging....you keep proving you are the same level as Millen.

I dont obsess about either of your teams and I think that the Lions made a mistake not taking Leinert as well...His Leadership abilites dwarf anything that Harrington brought to the table the past few years, with Martz and those potential Wide Receivers then this could have worked....everything starts and ends with the QB in the NFL and its been plainly obvious in two previous stops for Kitna that he wasnt a franchise QB and McCown looked good during times but looked lost at other times.

Leinert is about as NFL ready as any QB since PManning....Bottom Line is they made a mistake

and I dont think the Bears did an exceptional job either..but thats another story

well, that's your opinion about leinhart. but it's a completely unveriable and unsubstantiated one.

well, that's your opinion about leinhart. but it's a completely unveriable and unsubstantiated one.

Denial is the first stage....Get off your homer kick....your the worst on the board when it comes to homerism

Just like everything you say.... :blink: :blink:

Swamp puppy, your love of the Lions is admirable, but I must say, as a reformed Lions fan myself, it sounds like the past missteps of this organization hasn't swayed your enthusiasm for this team. I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember the days of Russ Thomas calling the shots and all the questionable moves they made then, and quite frankly, they continue to make the same bonehead decisions today.

This team hasn't won IN 50 YEARS!!! FIFTY YEARS!!! It comes a time when fans (like myself) simply have to throw in the towel and say to hell with this organization. So if waving your honolulu blue and silver pom-poms in the air makes you feel better go right ahead; just be prepared for the inevitable backlash for cats like sweetness and DrJ and others.

:popcorninhand:

This is one of the lamest things I've ever read. Do you think Boston Red Sox fans would agree with you after finally winning the world series? How about loyal White Sox fans who just won? What about Cub fans that stick with their team no matter what?

You can mock Swamp Dog for a lot of things but being loyal to his team is not one of them.

Are you a Pittsburgh Steeler fan right now waiting to see who your team will be next year?

Oh so, then all NFL teams should give up on players after 1 year if they were injured?

I guess then the Lydowns should have drafted another WR this yea given how all 3 of their WRs are lazy/drugged/slow/injured.....right?

I guess they shoul dhave drafted a QB given how miuch their QBs blow....and you cannot count Kitna/Mccown since you do not want to count Griese for the Bears

Keep digging....you keep proving you are the same level as Millen.

the lions, unlike the super-bowl bound bears ( :blink: ) had holes on both sides of the ball. they couldn't fix all of them in one draft. they went with defense in the early going--and did get calhoun in the 3rd for the offense.

the bears had the #2 ranked defense and a putrid offense. there is no excuse for what they did this weekend. none.

This is one of the lamest things I've ever read. Do you think Boston Red Sox fans would agree with you after finally winning the world series? How about loyal White Sox fans who just won? What about Cub fans that stick with their team no matter what?

You can mock Swamp Dog for a lot of things but being loyal to his team is not one of them.

Are you a Pittsburgh Steeler fan right now waiting to see who your team will be next year?

strangely, mack claims to be a lion fan :lol:

Just like everything you say.... :blink: :blink:

and anyone. so the question becomes why you're so obsessed that you have to start lion threads?

It's one thing to lose consistently for five decades; it's another to be completely inept at what you do. The Lions have shown nothing but incompetence since Ford Sr. took sole ownership. I applaud those fans who tolerate cheering for losing teams; I, for one, wouln't -- and haven't -- put up with it.

It's one thing to lose consistently for five decades; it's another to be completely inept at what you do. The Lions have shown nothing but incompetence since Ford Sr. took sole ownership. I applaud those fans who tolerate cheering for losing teams; I, for one, wouln't -- and haven't -- put up with it.

for one who claims he doesn't follow the lions out of protest...you sure seem to know everything they do the mintue they do it :wall:

for one who claims he doesn't follow the lions out of protest...you sure seem to know everything they do the mintue they do it :rolleyes:

I told you about a month ago that I will attempt to table all spats with you about your beloved team until November. By then it should be evident that this team is still not where they should be; not because of coaching, because I'm impressed with what they brought it, but because of an obvious lack of talent on both sides of the ball.

We'll see.

So now, not only do Bears, Packers and Viking fans think welchdog has an IQ worse than Vince Young, but so do Lion fans

Must be time for welchdog to run away from the bored.

Priceless :rolleyes:

So now, not only do Bears, Packers and Viking fans think welchdog has an IQ worse than Vince Young, but so do Lion fans

Must be time for welchdog to run away from the bored.

Priceless :doh:

you seriously need a remedial reading comprehension course. yikes...

The Lions have Kitna starting with McCown itching like crazy to pass Kitna in Camp. Then you have Shaun King and Dan Orlovsky as the 3rd option.

and this makes you feel good why?

and this makes you feel good why?

because it's not the soap opera that would be hollywood leinart.

Swampdogs Football IQ is indeed the lowest on the board

this from a guy who has a conan-the-barbarian quote in his sig. yeah, you've got ethos, pal.

because it's not the soap opera that would be hollywood leinart.

this from a guy who has a conan-the-barbarian quote in his sig. yeah, you've got ethos, pal.

Again with the Hollywood thing....Wouldnt any guy who could bang chicks like him do so?...Give me one player who doesnt want to cameo in movies....not to mention you havent verified any of it....

Your Homerism and apparent Football IQ is without question one of the lowest on this board....Ive been reading your stuff for nearly two years and you have never once said something informative and for the most part its propaganda fluff with the blatant Lions are moving in the right direction spin OR the Bears, Packers and Vikings stink...

You my insignificant FFToday colleague are the most tired redundant act on the board.

HTH

I tend to agree with you danzone that mccown can be really good under martz, but you can't be happy knwoing that john kitna is your starter, the man who holds, or held hte single season record for fumbles

Again with the Hollywood thing....Wouldnt any guy who could bang chicks like him do so?...Give me one player who doesnt want to cameo in movies....not to mention you havent verified any of it....

Your Homerism and apparent Football IQ is without question one of the lowest on this board....Ive been reading your stuff for nearly two years and you have never once said something informative and for the most part its propaganda fluff with the blatant Lions are moving in the right direction spin OR the Bears, Packers and Vikings stink...

You my insignificant FFToday colleague are the most tired redundant act on the board.

HTH

you should go read gfaifp

I tend to agree with you danzone that mccown can be really good under martz, but you can't be happy knwoing that john kitna is your starter, the man who holds, or held hte single season record for fumbles

you should go read gfaifp

I try not to....I think SD is the GFIAFP of the Main Board

I try not to....I think SD is the GFIAFP of the Main Board

i thought gfiafp was the gfiafp of fftoday?