Sign in to follow this  
cgod

You mess with the bull you get the horns

BURBANK, Calif. (AP) — Paul Gleason, who played the go-to bad guy in Trading Places and the angry high school principal in The Breakfast Club, has died. He was 67.

Gleason died at a local hospital Saturday of mesothelioma, a rare form of lung cancer linked to asbestos, said his wife, Susan Gleason.

"Whenever you were with Paul, there was never a dull moment," his wife said. "He was awesome."

A native of Miami, Gleason was an avid athlete. Before becoming an actor, he played Triple-A minor league baseball for a handful of clubs in the late 1950s.

Gleason honed his acting skills with his mentor Lee Strasberg, whom he studied with at the Actors Studio beginning in the mid-1960s, family members said.

Through his career, Gleason appeared in over 60 movies that included Die Hard, Johnny Be Good, and National Lampoon's Van Wilder. Most recently, Gleason made a handful of television appearances in hit shows such as Friends and Seinfeld.

Gleason's passions went beyond acting. He had recently published a book of poetry.

"He was an athlete, an actor and a poet," said his daughter, Shannon Gleason-Grossman. "He gave me and my sister a love that is beyond description that will be with us and keep us strong for the rest of our lives."

Actor Jimmy Hawkins, a friend of Gleason's since the 1960s, said he remembered Gleason for a sharp sense of humor.

"He just always had great stories to tell," Hawkins said.

Gleason was survived by his wife, two daughters and a granddaughter. Funeral plans were pending.

Link

Observe all copyright laws when posting copyrighted material. If the material does not belong to you, do not post (cut & paste) the full article/text on the FF Today Board or FF Today Forums without permission. Post only the introductory paragraph then credit the source/author and link to the article. Posting articles from other sources in their entirety is a violation of our Posting Guidelines. If you do so, your thread and account will be deleted.

Apparently I am the only one to flout the rules here? :rolleyes:

Maybe I should heed the advice in the title of this post eh?

What do you get if you mess with the cow?

I've got 100 people down here and they're covered with glass!

Dwayne, from Die Hard.

You'll be missed, Paul.

Ah, Trading Places. Gleason may very well have been the first actor in a gorilla suit to be humped on screen by another man in a gorilla suit. Truly an inspiring moment in film history.

Ah, Trading Places. Gleason may very well have been the first actor in a gorilla suit to be humped on screen by another man in a gorilla suit. Truly an inspiring moment in film history.

Trading Places will be shown at the day care center near you any day now.

Along with Dabney Coleman; Gleason played one of movie's most recognizable pr!cks during the '80's. Besides his roles from Die Hard, The Breakfast Club and Trading Places; he's also part of one of the funniest scenes from the movie Arthur:

Executive: He gets all that money. Pays his family back by... by... by bein' a stinkin' drunk. It's enough ta make ya sick.

Hobson: I really wouldn't know, sir. I'm just a servant.

Executive: Yeah...

Hobson: On the other hand; go screw yourself.

A few more interesting items about Gleason:

* Another angle of the horns shot.

* He attended Florida State University on a football scholarship and graduated in 1966. Gleason may not have gotten off the bench too often or beyond the practice squad; the FSU website doesn't specify he ever won a letter for Varsity Football.

* The Cleveland Indians signed him to a minor league baseball contract and he also spent some time in the Boston Red Sox organization; Gleason played in the minors for 3 1/2 seasons. Details of his professional career are sketchy, some sources indicate he played AAA ball in the late '50's; but he was only a teenager.

* Gleason landed his first significant role on the Soap Opera All My Children, playing the character Dr. David Thornton from 1975-1978.