Sign in to follow this  
jrmbadger

Green Bay to use "Cut-Block"

According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, The pack plans to use the cut block......

Story

I'm not sure how I feel about this, on one hand I'm a fan and anything that gives GB the edge is good, but I don't really like the cut block, it's quite possibly a cheap move.

My favorite quote:

"The Packers have worked on the technique during various drills this off-season. But because the risk of injury is so great, they won't cut their own players during training camp."

What do other Packer fans feel about this, and what do others feel about cut blocking in general?

3....2......1............---------->Swamppooch arrives

I've never been a fan of the cut-block - it is too dangerous. Personally I think it is totally dirty.

I played DE in University and had my knee blown out because of a cut block. I missed an entire season and had to learn to walk again.

The league does everything possible to "protect" QBs, so much so that you can barely hit them now without getting a penalty. Why not outlaw the cut block which is equally - if not more - dangerous and serves no real purpose other than to injure.

Nope - cut blocks are perfectly legal in the NFL.

A defensive player can barely breathe on a quarterback without getting a 15-yard penalty ... a wide receiver can't be hit when he goes across the middle (until he has the ball) ... a defensive back can't bump a receiver after five yards....but it's still ok to take out DL and LBs at the knees.

isn't this called as a penalty every time it's used? i didn't think it was a legal play.

Falcons do it, Broncos do it.

As long as you aren't engaged with a defender, you can cut a guy.

Nope - cut blocks are perfectly legal in the NFL.

A defensive player can barely breathe on a quarterback without getting a 15-yard penalty ... a wide receiver can't be hit when he goes across the middle (until he has the ball) ... a defensive back can't bump a receiver after five yards....but it's still ok to take out DL and LBs at the knees.

I know Denver is criticized a lot for using it heavily. It seems that the Packs new O'line coach utilizes that system. It's kinda interesting that they deem it too dangerous to use on their own players in camp, yet they have no problem unleashing it on others....

As long as you aren't engaged with a defender, you can cut a guy.

close...you can't have one team member engage with the defender, and another team member cut the legs while the defender is engaged.

close...you can't have one team member engage with the defender, and another team member cut the legs while the defender is engaged.

That would be a "chop-block" right? Which is a penalty and perhaps what Swamp was thinking of.

It's kinda interesting that they deem it too dangerous to use on their own players in camp, yet they have no problem unleashing it on others....

nor do they allow defenders to hit their QB's or blindside WR's over the middle in training camp, but have no problem if its done against an opponent during the season ...

Speaking from persona experience, there are a few reasons why offensive linemen will use the cut block technique:

They're undersized

They're not strong enough to block man up at the point of attack

They're much more athletic

For the short passing game, a three step drop, and for crossing routes (or a combo of all three)

Denver's always used it and been successful because they prefer smaller more athletic linemen.

The cut block technique usually goes hand in hand with zone blocking, and with quick hitting running plays between the tackles.

Hope this helps.

Speaking from persona experience, there are a few reasons why offensive linemen will use the cut block technique:

They're undersized

They're much more athletic

For the short passing game, a three step drop, and for crossing routes (or a combo of all three)

Denver's always used it and been successful because they prefer smaller more athletic linemen.

The cut block technique usually goes hand in hand with zone blocking, and with quick hitting running plays between the tackles.

Hope this helps.

Agreed...I just do not like the technique...I think it has proven to be pretty dangerous for the defensive players. Too many bad injuries caused by this.

yea its a legal, cheap move that could end many players' careers. ill believe it when i see the pack going unclassy and trying to ruin some player's life. doesnt seem like their style.

Agreed...I just do not like the technique...I think it has proven to be pretty dangerous for the defensive players. Too many bad injuries caused by this.

agreed, but if you really look at the reasons Ghost uses, it actually prolongs the life of a lineman. Far more injuries are associated with lineman bulking up to 370lbs. Back, knees, feet.

They're undersized

Yup, even at the high school level, one of the first thing offensive linemen are taught is if the guy across from you can overpower you, cut his legs out from under him.

Totally legal move between the tackles.

It's worked very well for the Broncos for years now, so I cant say that I'm against it. Hopefully it doesnt cause anyone to get hurt though.

agreed, but if you really look at the reasons Ghost uses, it actually prolongs the life of a lineman. Far more injuries are associated with lineman bulking up to 370lbs. Back, knees, feet.

The life of the offensive lineman. Definately not the career of the defensive lineman.

The life of the offensive lineman. Definately not the career of the defensive lineman.

Don't you think it works both ways? In some stunts, one d-linemen cuts an o-linemen, while his buddy runs past and kicks the shiot out of the QB or RB.

That would be a "chop-block" right? Which is a penalty and perhaps what Swamp was thinking of.

yeah, i think i was getting the two terms (cut and chop) mixed up. still, this is a move that needs to go the way of the horse collar tackle.

Although I think it should be illegal, it's something every NFL team does. It's really a question of how much they use it. I am not defending Shanny but he has offered to send film to NFL offices showing the above.

And for the record, it's not just going after the knee. It is specifically going after the knee from the side. I.E. if the run is designed to go to the O's L, the right OT will go after the L DE's knees to put him on the ground preventing the DE from filling a cut back lane.

It is an integral part of "zone blocking" so any team that uses this scheme is incorperating the cut block.

The blocking scheme when performed within league rules isn't where the majority of the criticism is generated. It's when players get into some of the grey areas that the risks go up. The biggest challenge seems to be defining and identifying when two players are "engaged". When it's augmented by a chip block or when a lineman passes his man down after initial contact seem to be when we'll hear defenses complaining. Unless, of course, it's just flat out a penalty. Defensive linemen do need to be aware and keep their head on a swivel, especially with change of direction or quick drops. I think the Packers need to do something to help their offense since I think it looks like two rookies at the guards?

According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, The pack plans to use the cut block......

Story

I'm not sure how I feel about this, on one hand I'm a fan and anything that gives GB the edge is good, but I don't really like the cut block, it's quite possibly a cheap move.

My favorite quote:

"The Packers have worked on the technique during various drills this off-season. But because the risk of injury is so great, they won't cut their own players during training camp."

What do other Packer fans feel about this, and what do others feel about cut blocking in general?

Like you I am game for most anything that makes the packers a better football team, but I find it some what distateful that the Green Bay Packers, purhaps the most storied franchise in pro football history, does not find themselves above such.

Well will see. The Houston Texans are adding it as well.

yeah, i think i was getting the two terms (cut and chop) mixed up. still, this is a move that needs to go the way of the horse collar tackle.

See, I think that's a dumb rule. How the hell else are you suppossed to take a guy down from behind? Too much was blown up about that one. People get hurt in all kinds of tackles. Hell, Javon Walker blew out his knee with no tackle - should we outlaw 46 yard receptions too?

:o

But I do agree that the cut block is an inherantly dangerous technique. Any time you're diving for a player's knee and hitting it from the side there's a chance for a career ending injury. Better so than almost any other type of hit.

See, I think that's a dumb rule. How the hell else are you suppossed to take a guy down from behind? Too much was blown up about that one. People get hurt in all kinds of tackles. Hell, Javon Walker blew out his knee with no tackle - should we outlaw 46 yard receptions too?

:rolleyes:

But I do agree that the cut block is an inherantly dangerous technique. Any time you're diving for a player's knee and hitting it from the side there's a chance for a career ending injury. Better so than almost any other type of hit.

um, you take a guy down from behind by wrapping your arms around him and bringing him down. dive, wrap, tackle if you have to. the horse collar is a lazy play--nevermind how dangerous it is.

Has the NFL rules committee discussed baning it? If so, what reasons did they give for not doing so. I do agree it appears to be pretty hypocritical when you're basically penalizing defenders for even whispering a QB's name these days.

It's such a dangerous technique to use in the NFL for the simple fact that NFL players are much bigger, and knees and the like do not have the flexibility needed to take on the side impact that comes from a cut block.

In the NFL, the tackle box is always clogged up with linemen. Unlike high school (and to a point, college), the line would feather out wider a bit. Guys are on top of each other in the NFL, and that's where the injuries from wicked angles occur.

I'm a little biased being an ex-collegiate DE. Anytime someone forces you to get your hands down, or when someone is targeting your knee, it's none to pleasant.

The proper technique to counter the cut block is to force the blocker down to the ground, give him a hard knee to the helmet, and kick the bastard in his fat gut. And, if you get the chance, step on his fingers and hands at all possible times.

I do agree with you completely. Look at the lengths of former Denver Bronco offensive linemen?

It's the ebb and flow of the game. Defenses will again look for quicker, stronger, faster, and more athletic defensive linemen. Eventually, most of the fat guys will go away, and it will again force offenses to draft big space eating linemen.

I've always thought there should be a weight limit in the NFL (not total weight, but some kind of body weight to height ratio).

I think it's very bad to promote heft as a positive to younger players in high school and college. Healthwise, those fatties who leave the NFL normally die at a much younger age. Who the heck wants to see that?

If true football fans want to watch real good football, check out the weight restricted teams the Ivy League Universities carry in their collegiate programs. Those guys really get after each other.

To get rid of cut blocking would make a huge difference in the game... you simply have to allow it to continue as dangerous as it is. Otherwise you are going to have 200 lb running back trying to block 350 lb linemen who has a head of steam... or ALWAYS have to keep that extra guy in protection. Big D-Lineman are just too atheletic these days to not do that.