Sign in to follow this  
hoffdaddy

Gannon visits Green Bay- likes what he saw in Aaron Rodgers

So he looks like he should be a good football player

Yes. :banana:

When did Rich Gannon become the next expert in player personel?

So he looks like he should be a good football player

Ryan Leaf looks like he should be the next hall of famer.

Excerpt from Packer Insider.

Backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers might look better than he did as a rookie, but he has been spotty at best in the 11 OTA practices held so far. Once again on Friday, he failed to move the offense in a two-minute drill. With Brett Favre absent, Rodgers ran the No. 1 offense and threw an interception on his fourth pass. The pass was picked off by cornerback Ahmad Carroll, who was in zone coverage and made a leaping catch inside the hash-marks. It was Carroll’s third interception in the OTAs. Rodgers was 1-of-4 in the two-minute drill, his lone completion a 3-yard pass to running back Noah Herron. Rookie quarterback Ingle Martin also was intercepted on his fourth pass at his turn in the two-minute drill. He threw an out to wide receiver Ruvell Martin that was intercepted by cornerback Jerron Wishom. It was Wishom’s second interception of the OTAs. Ingle Martin was 2-of-4 in the drill with two short completions to running back Samkon Gado and tight end Donald Lee.

Rodgers didn’t fare much better in the 7-on-7 period. He was 2-of-6, although rookie receiver Calvin Russell could have scooped a low pass for another reception. In the 7-on-7 red zone period, Rodgers was 2-of-4.

Just passing it along.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=437338

Gannon also said he liked what he'd seen of Rodgers, the second-year backup.

"You look at him physically, he's an athletic, good strong-looking guy," Gannon said. "The biggest thing for him is just the mental game."

wow. sounds exactly what people have been saying about harrington for the past four years.

the mental part is everything.

wow. sounds exactly what people have been saying about harrington for the past four years.

Dude, lets hold back on annointing him "Joey Hiesman" just yet, Joey's proven his inneptitude consistently for the past four years. Rodgers is backing up a hall of famer and hasn't so much as sniffed the field.

So Rodgers should lanquish as a career nobody on ten different teams before putting together a pro bowl season and getting assrammed into retirement?

any word locally hoffdaddy on ahman green's progress from rehab? still shooting for august camp as a return date...??????

tia

Right. So let's lay off Rodgers until he actually plays a game.

Especially, if we've consistently been Sampslobbing the knob of some hack who has been screwing up left and right on the actual field for the last half decade. ("Joey looking great this minicap"; "Joey ready to break out"; "Joey looking confident this year.") :rolleyes:

Objectivity :dunno:

Right. So let's lay off Rodgers until he actually plays a game.

Especially, if we've consistently been Sampslobbing the knob of some hack who has been screwing up left and right on the actual field for the last half decade. ("Joey looking great this minicap"; "Joey ready to break out"; "Joey looking confident this year.") :rolleyes:

Objectivity :dunno:

boy, that was easy. your mouth sore?

Please, Rich Gannons opinion hold no water to me, or the majority of NFL fans. His insight into a good quarterback is like getting John Rockers opinion on another pitcher! Just because he played the same position and had a couple of good years, doesn not qualify him to "rate" another quarterback. Just like you wouldn't take John Rockers opinion.

Please, Rich Gannons opinion hold no water to me, or the majority of NFL fans. His insight into a good quarterback is like getting John Rockers opinion on another pitcher! Just because he played the same position and had a couple of good years, doesn not qualify him to "rate" another quarterback. Just like you wouldn't take John Rockers opinion.

An NFL MVP, 4 Time ProBowler who led his team to a Super Bowl and his opinion holds no water?

Id say that qualifies him to know the position.

But he was there because A. McCarthy was his QB coach in KC

B. he is doing some Packer radio or TV for preseason games this year.

An NFL MVP, 4 Time ProBowler who led his team to a Super Bowl and his opinion holds no water?

Id say that qualifies him to know the position.

But he was there because A. McCarthy was his QB coach in KC

B. he is doing some Packer radio or TV for preseason games this year.

it has nothing to do with his credentials. it's about the situation and the pubic politics of response.

they tend to stick together in a fraternity sort of way. troy aikman always had great things to say about harrington, too--right up through this past season.

not saying gannon should be discredited about what he said. but on the other hand it doesn't mean much, either. if you really think about it, there is no way gannon--an invited guest to the packer practice and a fellow qb--would dream of criticizing rodgers. he wasn't in a position to do so. because of that, you do have to take what he says in this instance with a grain of salt.

gannon was in effect in the same position all husbands are in when their wife puts on a dress and asks "does this make me look fat?" there is only way to answer. there is nothing in his response that indicates him doing cartwheels over rodgers. rather, some reporter stuck a microphone in his face and asked him to comment on rodgers (and other things). gannon responded diplomatically, the only way he could respond. notice he didn't comment on rodgers practice performance, how he throws, how he plays. he essentially says nothing--nothing--except rodgers "is a big kid" and needs to get the mental game down.

how is that praise--at least praise that means a hill of beans?

it has nothing to do with his credentials. it's about the situation and the pubic politics of response.

When someone says his opinions hold little water...credentials have a hell of alot of things to do with it.

they tend to stick together in a fraternity sort of way. troy aikman always had great things to say about harrington, too--right up through this past season.

not saying gannon should be discredited about what he said. but on the other hand it doesn't mean much, either. if you really think about it, there is no way gannon--an invited guest to the packer practice and a fellow qb--would dream of criticizing rodgers. he wasn't in a position to do so. because of that, you do have to take what he says in this instance with a grain of salt.

gannon was in effect in the same position all husbands are in when their wife puts on a dress and asks "does this make me look fat?" there is only way to answer. there is nothing in his response that indicates him doing cartwheels over rodgers. rather, some reporter stuck a microphone in his face and asked him to comment on rodgers (and other things). gannon responded diplomatically, the only way he could respond. notice he didn't comment on rodgers practice performance, how he throws, how he plays. he essentially says nothing--nothing--except rodgers "is a big kid" and needs to get the mental game down.

how is that praise--at least praise that means a hill of beans?

And the bottom of my post...I explained why he was there.

No biggie. Im sure a vet like that can be valuable for rookies to hear. Nothing more.

Hey...you guys really need to try and cut down on the homerism in some situations, honestly. Gannon wasn't going to go in there and say "Rodgers looks like $hit", he is going to be the nice guy and say anything positive he can think of. I'm not saying Rodgers is going to suck, as a Packer fan I hope not. But let's not all get excited because if Gannon said these things about Harrington last year, we'd all be saying the same thing Swamp is saying today...but reversed, kind of.

I thought Gannon ahd signed on with some other team as a Qb adviser. Not the Pack. This was all about him giving props to a former influential coach. As mentioned above: Why would he rip one of his young players? This wasn't about Rodgers, this was about MCarthy.

troy aikman always had great things to say about harrington, too--right up through this past season.

So your referring to yourself as Troy Aikman now? :lol:

any word locally hoffdaddy on ahman green's progress from rehab? still shooting for august camp as a return date...??????

tia

He's still not practicing, but my understanding is the Packers are taking it slow with him so he doesn't suffer a setback.

We won't know where he's at until he starts practicing. I'm guessing that will be late in training camp.

As far as Rodgers goes it's far too early to know anything about him IMO. Lets see how he does in the preseason.

He's still not practicing, but my understanding is the Packers are taking it slow with him so he doesn't suffer a setback.

We won't know where he's at until he starts practicing. I'm guessing that will be late in training camp.

As far as Rodgers goes it's far too early to know anything about him IMO. Lets see how he does in the preseason.

kffl had a report the other day that green might not make the team. they cited a reporter writing for a milwaukee paper.

and there was a rumor on the lion board the other day (friend/cousin-who-knows-so-and-so sort of thing) that claimed ahman is going to announce his retirement this summer.

i know. take it with a grain of salt. just saying...

Swamp, you're dead right! I've never heard a quarterback dog another quarterbacks play. Only Theisman on Simms, but besides that, they tend to stick together. You've got to remember Rick Gannon is trying to break into the media/journalists type figure, and he's got to have adament opinions on topics, such as his position, quarterbacks. I might hear his side in a couple of years, after he's built up some credibility. Right now, I do not agree with him. What has he seen of Rodgers? He's only seen him practice. And how much can you take out of practice? It's like he's been in "real" situations that only Rich Gannon has observed. Everyone knows what Rodgers is capable of right now, not much

Everyone knows what Rodgers is capable of right now, not much

Correction. No knows what he is capable right now. He hasn't played yet.

As for Gannon's comments, just politically correct rhetoric.

So your referring to yourself as Troy Aikman now? :mellow:

funny: no sooner do i read this post and i'm reading in the detroit free press today where aikman is on harrington's schlong again, saying that joey is going to have a good career yet.

the timing was pretty funny.

of course hes gonna like what he sees. he looks like a QB. he looks athletic and strong. but like others have said, u dont know a good QB until he has mastered the mental part.

More interesting to me was the line about Gannon crediting McCarthy for rejuvinating his career. I never heard that before, and I can't tell if that's rhetoric on the writer's part, or if Gannon actually said that.

If Gannon did say that, combined with McCarthy's solid reputation for developing QBs, then I think that bodes well for Rogers and Ingle Martin.

The reason? A visit from Rich Gannon, a 17-year National Football League veteran who credits Packers coach Mike McCarthy with rejuvenating his career when the two worked together with the Kansas City Chiefs from 1995-'98.

More interesting to me was the line about Gannon crediting McCarthy for rejuvinating his career. I never heard that before, and I can't tell if that's rhetoric on the writer's part, or if Gannon actually said that.

If Gannon did say that, combined with McCarthy's solid reputation for developing QBs, then I think that bodes well for Rodgers and Ingle Martin.

The reason? A visit from Rich Gannon, a 17-year National Football League veteran who credits Packers coach Mike McCarthy with rejuvenating his career when the two worked together with the Kansas City Chiefs from 1995-'98.

i hope so for the packers sake--i really do. but favre has nothing but man-love for mooch, too. and even moronweg had a stellar rep among the qbs.

being hc is a whole new ballgame, though.

Just passing it along.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=437338

"You look at him physically, he's an athletic, good strong-looking guy," Gannon said. "The biggest thing for him is just the mental game."

Gannon says good things, which I will take and like, but some of the players are whispering about how poor his arm strength is.

One thing I will say for sure is the irregular craddle, where he carried the ball too high that some people knocked Rodgers for, is gone. Which is an indication Rodgers can be taught so we will see. I personally am still VERY happy #4 will be taking the snaps.

i hope so for the packers sake--i really do. but favre has nothing but man-love for mooch, too. and even moronweg had a stellar rep among the qbs.

being hc is a whole new ballgame, though.

This is a very good point.

One thing I will say for sure is the irregular craddle, where he carried the ball too high that some people knocked Rodgers for, is gone. Which is an indication Rodgers can be taught so we will see. I personally am still VERY happy #4 will be taking the snaps.

Physically that might be true - he could change. However, the word I've heard a couple times (attributed to 'GB insiders') is that Rogers isn't smart enough (or motivated enough) to learn the playbook. He was rumored to have been struggling with it, and also struggling bigtime to pick up defensive schemes.

Now Gannon says he looks good BUT needs to work on the "mental aspect" of the position. So while some here are hearing that as a good thing, I see giant red flags, as it seems to validate what the "GB insiders" were rumbling about previously: that Rogers isn't learning the offense/isn't strong mentally.

My take: another Tedford product who had some success against weak PAC10 defenses, and will go on to completely wash out in the pros. Green Bay isn't anywhere near strong enough on the OL or defense to protect the QB or keep them in games. They don't have a good enough running game to prevent defenses from blitzing all day, and they are in for a long year regardless of who it at QB. But Favre goes down and Rogers is the man, they are beyond screwed.

I am avoiding all things GB Packers this season, and for the forseeable future.

$.02

Physically that might be true - he could change. However, the word I've heard a couple times (attributed to 'GB insiders') is that Rogers isn't smart enough (or motivated enough) to learn the playbook. He was rumored to have been struggling with it, and also struggling bigtime to pick up defensive schemes.

Now Gannon says he looks good BUT needs to work on the "mental aspect" of the position. So while some here are hearing that as a good thing, I see giant red flags, as it seems to validate what the "GB insiders" were rumbling about previously: that Rogers isn't learning the offense/isn't strong mentally.

My take: another Tedford product who had some success against weak PAC10 defenses, and will go on to completely wash out in the pros. Green Bay isn't anywhere near strong enough on the OL or defense to protect the QB or keep them in games. They don't have a good enough running game to prevent defenses from blitzing all day, and they are in for a long year regardless of who it at QB. But Favre goes down and Rogers is the man, they are beyond screwed.

$.02

Interesting. In that case, keep an eye on Ingle Martin's progress. I've said several times that Martin can give Rogers a run for his money post Favre.

Backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers might look better than he did as a rookie, but he has been spotty at best in the 11 OTA practices held so far. Once again on Friday, he failed to move the offense in a two-minute drill. With Brett Favre absent, Rodgers ran the No. 1 offense and threw an interception on his fourth pass. The pass was picked off by cornerback Ahmad Carroll, who was in zone coverage and made a leaping catch inside the hash-marks. It was Carroll’s third interception in the OTAs. Rodgers was 1-of-4 in the two-minute drill, his lone completion a 3-yard pass to running back Noah Herron. Rookie quarterback Ingle Martin also was intercepted on his fourth pass at his turn in the two-minute drill. He threw an out to wide receiver Ruvell Martin that was intercepted by cornerback Jerron Wishom. It was Wishom’s second interception of the OTAs. Ingle Martin was 2-of-4 in the drill with two short completions to running back Samkon Gado and tight end Donald Lee.

Rodgers didn’t fare much better in the 7-on-7 period. He was 2-of-6, although rookie receiver Calvin Russell could have scooped a low pass for another reception. In the 7-on-7 red zone period, Rodgers was 2-of-4.

Maybe its not so much that the QBs aren't progressing but that the Defense has improved so much that they simply dominate everyone!

Wishom = NFL Defensive player of the year IMO.

$.02

Problem is that USC defense he tore apart in 2004 was not a weak one. And much better than the defense that Young tore apart and everyone was so in awe of that.

Not saying it means everything...but there was little weak about the USC defense.

Problem is that USC defense he tore apart in 2004 was not a weak one. And much better than the defense that Young tore apart and everyone was so in awe of that.

Not saying it means everything...but there was little weak about the USC defense.

one game.

and I seem to recall JJ Arrington was pretty studly that year too - took a lot of the pressure off of Rogers.

I am not sold on Rogers 2000, then 2500 yd seasons, nor am I particularly impressed by his 60% completion rate and 20 then 24 PaTDs.

In that division, his numbers should have been better in a "pro-style" Tedford offense.

His scouting report said he was listed as 6'2", but was closer to 6'. Strong arm, weak brain was the jist of it.

I think the Pack is in serious trouble after Favre retires, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them bring in a FA for QB in 2008.

Backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers.....threw an interception on his fourth pass. The pass was picked off by cornerback Ahmad Carroll...

I think this speaks volumes of Rodgers skill level right now if Caroll is picking him off... <_<

I think this speaks volumes of Rodgers skill level right now if Caroll is picking him off... :doublethumbsup:

They did not mention that Carroll held the receiver during the entire pattern, pulled him to the ground and then picked it off. :banana: