Sign in to follow this  
ggroovy17

Randy Moss #1 per NFL.com magazine

The magazine had Randy Moss as the #1 WR for this year. I can think of 5 other WR off the top of my head i'd rather have:

Steve Smith

Terrell Owens

Torry Holt

Marvin Harrison - who they have at #12

Larry Fitzgerald

randy moss is certainly capable of being the #1 receiver in the NFL, so i understand him being there, but his health is just a concern. if he is healthy, he can destroy the opposing fantasy football team on his own.

where moss is being drafted right now, he can be a steal for sure. mid-late 2nd and early 3rd for moss seems ridiculous, but owners are afraid of injuries. i personally agree with you that i would rather have holt or steve smith over moss, and marv harrison being number 12 receiver sounds ludacris to me. but, its their projections, and they can believe what they want.

i dont like Moss as a the number 1 WR at all....people say Tiki Barber is a stud now because of his last 2 years....then why shouldnt Randy be automatic 5-7 WR because of his 2 past years?

Moss as the number 1 is just stupid that means you take him in the early 2nd and that is way too risky for me....that could ruin your whole team...

i dont like Moss as a the number 1 WR at all....people say Tiki Barber is a stud now because of his last 2 years....then why shouldnt Randy be automatic 5-7 WR because of his 2 past years?

Moss as the number 1 is just stupid that means you take him in the early 2nd and that is way too risky for me....that could ruin your whole team...

Tiki is a stud based off his last 2 years. Moss is a dud based on his last 2 years. I got burnt with Moss last year and it won't happen again.

If healthy, Moss should easily be the #1 WR this year w/ ABrooks' arm throwing him the deep ball, and his scrambling ability giving Randy time to get even farther down field.

Injury concerns are what drop Moss' draft position for the most part.

If I could be guaranteed, with 100% certainty, that RMoss would be completely healthy the entire year I would have no problem drafting him #8 overall. However, since that is an impossible guarantee, I would probably skip over him for a #2 RB, or another one of the top WRs in the 2nd. If he fell to me in the 3rd, I would take him no question.

I got stuck at Walmart getting a oil change. I picked up the mag, it was actually presented very nicely. I caught myself agreeing with Gil Brandt's re-draft fantasy strategy. He actually made some good points as far as drafting value.

Moss as the #1 WR? Not too crazy considering the last 2 years

Muhsin Muhammed in 2004

Steve Smith in 2005

I'll give Moss this. He plays in the AFC West where the only team with a good secondary is Denver.

The Raiders play the NFC West where there are NO good secondaries. Moss should run all over their schedule except when they play Pittsburgh and Denver. Again, my main concern is his health and that is why I would put draft 5 other WR over him.

I don't think it is crazy to draft him as the #1 WR.

I don't think it's crazy, I just think it's riskier than others (Smith, T.O, Holt, Harrison, Fitz). That's just my opinion though.

He has a better qb this year that won't hesitate to throw it deep once Moss throws his hands up. He has averaged 13 tds a season for his career. He is very capable of being the #1 wr. His health is his main concern. He has been hurt the past two seasons.

I remember last preseason everyone saying Kerry Collins threw the best deep ball in the NFL. I guess they were wrong, Aaron Brooks throws the best deep ball in the league? :thumbsup:

marv harrison being number 12 receiver sounds ludacris to me.

ludacris? <_< wow.

Anyway, this guy will put up top 5 numbers but brooks sucks so he cant be ahead of ss, TO, Fitz, #85, or Holt.

There is some crazy stuff being said in this thread. Could Moss end up being the top fantasy WR in 2006? Yes. But his injury history and sketchy QB play makes him a 3rd round fantasy draft pick this season.

There is some crazy stuff being said in this thread. Could Moss end up being the top fantasy WR in 2006? Yes. But his injury history and sketchy QB play makes him a 3rd round fantasy draft pick this season.

Sketchy QB play? Who threw the ball to Joe Horn all those years? Brooks is no Marino but he gets his receivers really solid numbers. Joe Horn had about 7000 yards with Brooks back there on some really crappy teams. Even Stallworth almost put up 1000 last year on the worst team in the NFL.

Randy Moss is still the #1 fantasy WR when healthy...he's basically unstoppable no matter what coverages get thrown at him. There are a few other guys who I have very close to Randy's value, but in the end Moss should be right up at the top(assuming he stays healthy all year)

Randy Moss will NEVER be the top WR again......people need to look forward not back. He'll put up top 10 #s, but he's past dominating the competition like he once did. Moss' period of just showing up and being better than everybody else is gone. At this stage in his career, desire, hard work and mind set are equally as important as pure talent....there is no doubt he's lacking in atleast 3 of those categories.

That's interesting that the NFL is endorsing Moss as the number one guy this year. I hope Brooks is successful in Oakland. He does have an arm, and Moss will do his hand wave signal. They could hook up many times. The real top wr's have to be, in order: TO, S.SMITH, M.HARRSON, T.HOLT, C.JOHNSON, BOTH ZONA WR'S

Just for arguments sake, why is everyone soooo sold on Steve Smith? One insane career year and one good year where he started 11 games. Yes he dominated last year and had 12 TD's, but I'm not so sure he can match that amount again. Look at someone like Fitz and his progression is obvious, plus he's a huge red zone target, and in Denny's pass whacky offense.

I think it's easier for someone like Moss to get to the 10 TD mark then it is for the Steve Smith's of the world. Randy had 1000/8 with Collins. I think Brooks though a crappy NFL QB and fantasy starter killer, is good for his WR's.

Yardage wise Smith will win, but I could easily see Moss score more TD's.

For my league 1 per 25, yards are nice, but TD's are more important.

Not sold on Moss 100%, need to wait till preseason and see how all this crap shakes out anyway.

randy moss is certainly capable of being the #1 receiver in the NFL, so i understand him being there, but his health is just a concern. if he is healthy, he can destroy the opposing fantasy football team on his own.

where moss is being drafted right now, he can be a steal for sure. mid-late 2nd and early 3rd for moss seems ridiculous, but owners are afraid of injuries. i personally agree with you that i would rather have holt or steve smith over moss, and marv harrison being number 12 receiver sounds ludacris to me. but, its their projections, and they can believe what they want.

Moss' health is a concern, but Steve Smith is not?

Moss had minor (but very nagging) injuries in '05.

Smith came off a broken leg last year. HE did very well. Moss has been a consistent

producer over the past 8 years and very few of these other guys have more than one season of top 5 production. Smith, LF, CJ had never been there before. Muhammid the year before was a one year wonder.

I prefer consistency. Moss will be improved with Brooks/Health. And he was very dominant when healthy last year.

i can see any of the top 8 (moss, holt, chad, smith, TO, harrison, boldin, fitz) so it's not shocking. i'd love to have any of those guys.

I have Randy as my #4 wr - behind owens, smith, harrison :lol: . Could Randy Moss put up #1 numbers - of course he could. Will he put up 97 catches 1400 yards and 15 td's?? Tough Question to answer but if not Moss who is going to put up that stat this year to be <_< .

I have Randy as my #4 wr - behind owens, smith, harrison :lol: . Could Randy Moss put up #1 numbers - of course he could. Will he put up 97 catches 1400 yards and 15 td's?? Tough Question to answer but if not Moss who is going to put up that stat this year to be <_< .

Joc-

are you telling me you have TO slotted at the 1?? Aie yie yie! I like him now that he's on my team, but not that much. But I suppose he may turn out to be a pretty nice value there late in the 2nd like that. No Larry Fitz in the top 4? Its funny, in our draft I was fully anticipating taking a WR in the 2nd round , and expected it probably be Fitz falling to me, but when TO did, with Moss and CJ on the board, I had a real hard time with it. But after seeing what TO did in Philly his 1st year there, I couldnt help but snag him. Hope youre right about your forecast.

Hey, and on the JP draft, obviously were taking a break to let Sweetness get settled in, but Im expecting to hear something from him NOT Monday, but hopefully Tuesday.

"all things being equal" is a term we often dont use in fantasy projection becauseof 1 fact---they usually arent. all thing equal, moss is the number 1 wr by a mile, period. no talk necessary; but, in fantasy we have health, team, situation, etc to consider.

again, as a moss proponent (perhaps the biggest), i just get amused by the skyrocketing ratings of last season's 'chic' wrs:

ssmith has 2 campaigns to his credit---an 1100-7 (average for a top wr, off-yr by elite standards), and a mystifying(?) 1500-12. i still see people thinking keyshawn will only catch 40balls and smith will continue with 100.

smoss broke out with 1100-10 3 yrs ago; people forget the rug burn by his following 800-3 performance?? now, another questionable 1400-9 effort. [reminds me of mccardell his last season in tampa---3 miracle 75yd tds padded his stats to 1100-8; andre johnson drew raves for his 1100-6 season 2 yrs ago, where he padded a nearly 200-2 effort vs the vikes into his totals] santana basically stole 160-2 on monday night, and another 160-3 week 15(?) vs the giants. his herculean season is not so much without them.

with edge gone in indy, people are rating wayne high again. his 1200-12 breakout when manning threw 49 was nice---how about the 1000-5 egg he layed last yr?? guy was getting drafted as high as late 3rd and mid 4th rd.

now, some people annoint holt and cj top3/elite. holt is a nice 90+/1300+ consistent threat, but his wavering tds keep him from being ultimate elite; cjohnson has plateaued at the 90+/1200-1400/9 level---with the diversity in the cincy pass game, he just wont snag 1600/15.

if you want an ultimate elite wr, look at the big 3: harrison (i dont like him, but respect him) is working on 6 STRAIGHT 10+td seasons; TO has tallied 13+tds 5 times; as for moss, he has racked up 10+tds 6 of 8 seasons, and 15+tds 3 times!!! if that is not enough, he has had 6 seasons with 6+ 40 yd receptions (the next highest is freaking 2 by all the other top wrs mentioned here!!)

you looking for a guy with the highest likelihood to post ultimate stats? a magazine says moss is 1? who am i to complain <_< :mad:

It's definitely possible that a healthy Randy could be the top WR this year. Because of the health risk though, I'd probably lean toward T.O. or Smitty. Did I just say T.O.? :rolleyes: Preferably, I'd wait until the first 2-3 top guys were off the board and then if Randy was still there I'd take him with no reservation. If healthy, I'd say 1400 and 12 TD's. I love the fact that Brooks can buy a little extra time and throw it deep. Plus, Randy doesn't get penalized for Brooks' laterals. :D

However, this is the same magazine that has Donald Driver as the #40 WR behind the likes of Ashley Lelie #23, Mike Williams #24, Troy Williamson #26, Samie Parker #30 and Bernard Berrian #36. :rolleyes: He's only 31, and with Favre he's still good for a minimum of 1100 and 5-7 TD's. If Rodgers was the QB, ok I'd drop him like a rock.

Also, as much as I like Ronnie Brown, they've got him #4. :lol:

"all things being equal" is a term we often dont use in fantasy projection becauseof 1 fact---they usually arent. all thing equal, moss is the number 1 wr by a mile, period. no talk necessary; but, in fantasy we have health, team, situation, etc to consider.

again, as a moss proponent (perhaps the biggest), i just get amused by the skyrocketing ratings of last season's 'chic' wrs:

ssmith has 2 campaigns to his credit---an 1100-7 (average for a top wr, off-yr by elite standards), and a mystifying(?) 1500-12. i still see people thinking keyshawn will only catch 40balls and smith will continue with 100.

smoss broke out with 1100-10 3 yrs ago; people forget the rug burn by his following 800-3 performance?? now, another questionable 1400-9 effort. [reminds me of mccardell his last season in tampa---3 miracle 75yd tds padded his stats to 1100-8; andre johnson drew raves for his 1100-6 season 2 yrs ago, where he padded a nearly 200-2 effort vs the vikes into his totals] santana basically stole 160-2 on monday night, and another 160-3 week 15(?) vs the giants. his herculean season is not so much without them.

with edge gone in indy, people are rating wayne high again. his 1200-12 breakout when manning threw 49 was nice---how about the 1000-5 egg he layed last yr?? guy was getting drafted as high as late 3rd and mid 4th rd.

now, some people annoint holt and cj top3/elite. holt is a nice 90+/1300+ consistent threat, but his wavering tds keep him from being ultimate elite; cjohnson has plateaued at the 90+/1200-1400/9 level---with the diversity in the cincy pass game, he just wont snag 1600/15.

if you want an ultimate elite wr, look at the big 3: harrison (i dont like him, but respect him) is working on 6 STRAIGHT 10+td seasons; TO has tallied 13+tds 5 times; as for moss, he has racked up 10+tds 6 of 8 seasons, and 15+tds 3 times!!! if that is not enough, he has had 6 seasons with 6+ 40 yd receptions (the next highest is freaking 2 by all the other top wrs mentioned here!!)

you looking for a guy with the highest likelihood to post ultimate stats? a magazine says moss is 1? who am i to complain :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wish I would have said that. Good takes all around me boy!!!!

I think the entire argument comes down to this question. Is it worth taking him as the #1 WR off the board? Therefore, I draw these facts to support..NO.

1. Moss hasnt had a stellar season since 03'

2. Is he on the decline of his career? Stats may indicate.

3. The nagging injuries have been driving us fantasy owners insane the last 2 seqasons.

4. Is Randy still Randy without Minnesota? Plays a lot more games per season on the grass and outdoors.

5. Is he happy in Oakloand? Does he FEEL like playing today?

6. Terrell Owens: Has been big EVERY year since 2000

Steve Smith: Career on incline? Stats indicate so.

Torry Holt: One of the most consistent fantasy WR in the past 6 seasons. Stats & Health.

These are just a few. In closing, I do feel that Randy can end up as the best WR of 06' but to take him off the board as the first WR chosen is too risky IMO.

I would rather take Chad Johnson at number 8 overall over Moss. CJ is the MAN!

although CJ is quite good, and quite consistent. He has only topped 1400 yds once, and only gotten 10 tds once... So i see 1400/10 as his top-end, and he'll probably get close to that every year for a few years. Holt should also be in the 13-1400/10 mark.

Both of those are great if you want a consistent WR, but if you want someone that has a good chance of getting at least those numbers and a VERY strong possibility of getting you more TDs you have to look to Moss & Owens - with Moss having the edge...

I got stuck at Walmart getting a oil change. I picked up the mag, it was actually presented very nicely. I caught myself agreeing with Gil Brandt's re-draft fantasy strategy. He actually made some good points as far as drafting value.

Moss as the #1 WR? Not too crazy considering the last 2 years

Muhsin Muhammed in 2004

Steve Smith in 2005

very good point, and I would add Moss has a stronger armed QB and more offensive weapons around him than those two did when they re-surged or surged.

I personally would not rank Moss #1 but at this point he is as good a guess as the smurfs that come to mind that might be #1.

I would rather take Chad Johnson at number 8 overall over Moss. CJ is the MAN!

maybe unless Anthony Wright becomes his QB, then who knows

However, this is the same magazine that has Donald Driver as the #40 WR behind the likes of Ashley Lelie #23, Mike Williams #24, Troy Williamson #26, Samie Parker #30 and Bernard Berrian #36. :lol: He's only 31, and with Favre he's still good for a minimum of 1100 and 5-7 TD's. If Rodgers was the QB, ok I'd drop him like a rock.

Also, as much as I like Ronnie Brown, they've got him #4. :cry:

ok thats focked up