Sign in to follow this  
Franknbeans

Lelie will not show

-- Lelie Not Expected to Show --

Thu Jul 6, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

The Denver Post reports agent Peter Schaffer picked up his phone Wednesday afternoon, and was soon on the receiving end of a question about one of his clients, Broncos WR Ashley Lelie. Asked if Lelie might be at the Broncos' mandatory mini-camp that starts today, Schaffer said, "No updates. We have nothing to say." And there you have it. Drawing from inference and recent history, it appears Lelie will not take part in the opening session of the three-day mini-camp at Dove Valley. Unhappy over what he feels is a noncompetitive situation at the Broncos' No. 1 receiver position this season, partly because of the team's offseason acquisition of WR Javon Walker from the Green Bay Packers, Lelie is threatening to sit out the season unless he is traded. Lelie, 26, missed the Broncos' first 14 offseason optional workouts. If he does not show up today, he could be fined by the Broncos. The Broncos entertained trade offers for Lelie during the April draft but could not find a suitable partner. Other than Lelie, the Broncos indicated Wednesday they are expecting the full roster to attend today, with no players having asked for excused absences. Walker, in the late stages of rehabilitating a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, is hoping to be ready for full-contact practices by the team's July 28 start of training camp. Walker's co-agent, Lamont Smith, said Wednesday he was unsure of Lelie's condition.

yeah, because whining about not be the #1 WR is always a sure-fire way to win the job... idiot.

what a moron, the guy cant prove to be a go-to guy on an offense and then he wants to be the main man.... :blink:

In all honesty, though, I would trade Pinkston and a late round draft pick for Lelie.

Pinky won't be healthy enough to stretch the field this season. I'll take Lelie as the deep threat, and let Reggie Brown, Jabar Gaffney, and Lewis battle it out for the possession and/or slot receiving roles.

Lelie's value is strictly as a deep threat.

I'm confused by what Leile wants here. Does he want Shanny to tell him he loves him? If he wants to be a bigger piece of the offense his best bet is to suit up and show he's more than a one-dimensional player. It's a pretty simple equation. If he doesn't do that than wherever else he goes he's eventually going to run into the same problem.

In all honesty, though, I would trade Pinkston and a late round draft pick for Lelie.

Pinky won't be healthy enough to stretch the field this season. I'll take Lelie as the deep threat, and let Reggie Brown, Jabar Gaffney, and Lewis battle it out for the possession and/or slot receiving roles.

I agree that Lelie's value goes way up depending on where he's traded but it doesn't sound like Denver is going to budge. :banana:

ok, so let me get this straight: lelie is threatening to sit out the entire season because the broncos picked up a better player to take his position. :first:

is lelie a focking idiot? i think denver would prefer to just have him sit out, and not pay him a dime for doing so, since they already found a replacement for him. he doesnt have a leg to stand on, yet is making demands. too funny

ok, so let me get this straight: lelie is threatening to sit out the entire season because the broncos picked up a better player to take his position. :first:

is lelie a focking idiot? i think denver would prefer to just have him sit out, and not pay him a dime for doing so, since they already found a replacement for him. he doesnt have a leg to stand on, yet is making demands. too funny

He knows all too well that he can become a disruptive force on the team because the team no longer can do a Keyshaun/TO to him.

He's trying to bluff the pot with a 2/7 in the hole. :cheers:

He knows all too well that he can become a disruptive force on the team because the team no longer can do a Keyshaun/TO to him.

:huh:

Kinda like the way he disrupts promising bronco drives with his hands of stone?

I thought this said "strictly as a deep throat". Would've been worse if you simply called him Ashley.

good, i don't have to pick him and sit through his 1 catch for 14 yards special.

It really is amazing. The Denver media is roasting him here. BTW he will not be a disruptive force they will simply cut him before it ever reaches that stage. However they will wait until the last possible moment before rosters need to be down to 53, so he has a tough time latching on to another team, and so that he does not get the WR1 cash he is trying to extort. Overall it is really a bonehead move. He loses money this year, and then only gets paid if he happens to perform wherever he latches on.

yeah, because whining about not be the #1 WR is always a sure-fire way to win the job... idiot.

Lelie may not even be the third best wide receiver on that team. What a goofball.

Wow. Talk about disillusioned.

Has anyone in Lelie's camp bothered to tell him that he's a huge disappointment?

It really is amazing. The Denver media is roasting him here. BTW he will not be a disruptive force they will simply cut him before it ever reaches that stage. However they will wait until the last possible moment before rosters need to be down to 53, so he has a tough time latching on to another team, and so that he does not get the WR1 cash he is trying to extort. Overall it is really a bonehead move. He loses money this year, and then only gets paid if he happens to perform wherever he latches on.

lol, it is getting pretty bad...the denver post has already labeled him AWOL Ashley. I doubt they cut him though, that would mean he got what he wants. Teams like New England and Philly would snatch him up in a heartbeat. Shanahan will make an example of him...what will happen to players that hold out for more money/starting spot.

the broncos are imploding ;)

the broncos are imploding :thumbsup:

Not sure how replacing an underachieving crybaby 1st round pick with a pro-bowl WR is imploding, but ok. I guess we'll see.

In the endless black tunnel of Chief fandom, any crack of light will do, right?

raiders suck ass

chargers have an unproven signal-caller

broncos implosion in full circle

the division trophy is coming back to KC baby :thumbsdown:

lol, and how many times is he actually on the field?

At least he hasn't threatened to kill anyone. ;)

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...2&hl=Turley

72 last year.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/PNT/2005/regular

Punting is more important that some actually think. I know cause ours has been the suck lately, but now Colquitt has been doing a pretty good job. :thumbsup:

72 last year.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/PNT/2005/regular

Punting is more important that some actually think. I know cause ours has been the suck lately, but now Colquitt has been doing a pretty good job. :rolleyes:

I'm just messin' with ya man. I agree, it is important...It's only 4 games though...if he's gone for the season we could have problems.

I'm just messin' with ya man. I agree, it is important...It's only 4 games though...if he's gone for the season we could have problems.

isnt this the guy's 2nd offense? I thought it was more than 4 games for a 2nd...

Wow. Talk about disillusioned.

Has anyone in Lelie's camp bothered to tell him that he's a huge disappointment?

Sure....i got this from NFL.com http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=3...mp;storyID=5731

Shanahan later added: "It would be different if people were beating down the walls to get him, but they're not. Why not come in here and try to do what you can do and make a name for yourself at a place that drafted you No. 1?

"I just think he's making a bad decision. He got some bad advice."

Fellow wideout Rod Smith reached out to advise Lelie, but didn't get a response.

"The advice I'm going to give is that I'm going to kick his a-- because he hasn't called me back," Smith said. "That's the advice I'm going to give; so when I see him, I'm going to smack him. He's in town; I called him and we were supposed to have lunch, and it wasn't about football. I just wanted to see how he was doing, and for some reason, we didn't connect.

"I really wanted to just talk to him and see how he's doing, not from a football standpoint, but (because) I care about him as a person."

Shanahan was decidedly unconcerned about the impact of Lelie's absence on the depth of his receiving corps.

"It's just like a guy coming in here and spraining an ankle," Shanahan said. "We have a lot of depth in a lot of different positions."

Basicly he is saying they dont need him.... :headbanger:

:headbanger: That's the best article I have ever read. Coach spells out the reality for Ms. Lelie and yet he won't listen. Man, agents are just slime.

Of all the hold-outs the past few seasons, this has to be the most comical... I really just don't get it; Is the guy really this dumb? Does he think there is some random chance in hell that Shannahan will call him up and say," We can't live without you, please come back & I promise no competition in training camp. You'll be annointed #1 WR while Rod Smith & Javon Walker fight for #2". I mean, this IS what he's asking for, right? Am I missing something? He can't seriously be this oblivious... can he? :D

Of all the hold-outs the past few seasons, this has to be the most comical... I really just don't get it; Is the guy really this dumb? Does he think there is some random chance in hell that Shannahan will call him up and say," We can't live without you, please come back & I promise no competition in training camp. You'll be annointed #1 WR while Rod Smith & Javon Walker fight for #2". I mean, this IS what he's asking for, right? Am I missing something? He can't seriously be this oblivious... can he? :D

He must want out of town and thinks this is a better way of going about it than saying what he actually wants. :mad:

isnt this the guy's 2nd offense? I thought it was more than 4 games for a 2nd...

The paper said 4 games. Did he ever get punished for the whatever went on in Carolina? I guess I don't know enough about it to comment.

Great Column On Lelie

Selected quotes below:

...Lelie does not have the guts to take the hard route. He is a prima donna in shoulder pads. AWOL Ashley dances and spins for the pretty touchdown catch, but prefers not to get dirt under his nails when the going gets tough.

Smith would run barefoot over hot coals to grab a dagger with his teeth, if it meant moving the chains for the Broncos on third down in the fourth quarter with the game tied.

Smith, who lives to compete, wakes every morning in fear the team has removed his nameplate from the Denver locker room.

AWOL Ashley, who refuses to come out and play with the Broncos because his poor little feelings are hurt, seems convinced the game owes him something, which, in this Not For Long league, is a good way to go broke faster than Lelie can sprint a 40-yard dash.

OK. Let me offer sincere apologies for suggesting Lelie is gutless, childish and stupid.

That was mean, especially because we all know how easily Lelie's tender ego bruises.

In 2005, Lelie caught one - count 'em - one touchdown pass for the Broncos, or exactly one less than Dwayne Carswell, who dents the scales at almost 300 pounds and wears No. 77. After four seasons in the NFL, Lelie's reputation for getting behind the secondary is far outstripped by his image for being softer than a crying towel. Heck, the halitosis of a strong safety can knock over AWOL Ashley. Lelie demanding a trade? Shanahan must have to choke back his laughter.

"It would be different if people were beating down the walls to get him," Shanahan said. "But they're not."

This is a game of chicken, NFL style.

We all know who's going to crack.

Sooner or later, AWOL Ashley will come crawling back.

ETA: Can you say "Eddie Kennison?"

I dont understand Some of these football players today.....how dose bitching about were u play...not showing up....and bitching more EVER going to get u a #1 spot......guys like this have no right to even be on the practice squad.....i think alot of these NFL players are a joke...there sapose to be role modles??? HA ....what would happen to a high school or collage kid if he did this??? i know exactly what would happen :cheers:

All i know is if i was a coach i would not even bother to try and get him a trade....id just bench his ass and fine him for evrey day he dose not show up untill his contract expires....then cut him

[AshleyLelie] I cant possibly compete with an old man(Smith) or a young guy coming off an injury(Walker)!! I need the position just GIVEN to me, why should i have to earn anything??[/AshleyLelie]

[AshleyLelie] I cant possibly compete with an old man(Smith) or a young guy coming off an injury(Walker)!! I need the position just GIVEN to me, why should i have to earn anything??[/AshleyLelie]

:first: :first: :first:

I dont understand Some of these football players today.....how dose bitching about were u play...not showing up....and bitching more EVER going to get u a #1 spot......guys like this have no right to even be on the practice squad.....i think alot of these NFL players are a joke...there sapose to be role modles??? HA ....what would happen to a high school or collage kid if he did this??? i know exactly what would happen :thumbsup:

All i know is if i was a coach i would not even bother to try and get him a trade....id just bench his ass and fine him for evrey day he dose not show up untill his contract expires....then cut him

Because guys who have always depended on their natural talent sometimes don't understand the reality of the NFL.

It's always the case. The guy who's always been bigger and faster is always deluded and always thinks he's gonna be better than everyone else just by showing up.

A heavy dose of reality would be him getting cut, going somewhere else, then getting cut again.

Worst part about this scenario is that guy's like this are surrounded by yes men, who are always gonna pump him up and make him feel more imporant than he really is.

A heavy dose of reality would be him getting cut, going somewhere else, then getting cut again.

Worst part about this scenario is that guy's like this are surrounded by yes men, who are always gonna pump him up and make him feel more imporant than he really is.

You may have just decribed the TO/Rosenhaus team. :wacko:

Lesse if Dallas cuts his punkarse next.... <_<

:clap: Definity has alot to do with the Agent......Btw....anyone by any chance know who his agent is???