Sign in to follow this  
Riddlen

If your draft is before August 11, your league is not legitimate

Probably none - had to do with the "Man Law" thing, and getting a chip on MY shoulder. Thanks for the heads up. I just knocked the chip off, and my dog is eating it!

Holy $h!t! What's happened to this place?? I guess it's up to me for the "obligatory" Can Size question :blink: How big are your cans? :huh: :D

:wacko:

:wacko:

l

l

l

l

l

l

l

l

J :fish:

Sorry if I offended anyone, but if so, they probably earned it.

USDA Choice sig material right there.

Mine drafts Aug. 20th. :rolleyes:

All I have to do now is expand to 12 teams, add IDPs, and a PPR rule, and I can sit at the grownups table. :ninja:

No one argued that drafting is or isnt fun. A league can be "just for fun" and draft in Feb, whatever. That is the crux of the argument of legitimacy. Those of you participating in early draft are getting defensive. I am in a league with a slow moving email draft that starts beginning of July. It is a "fun" league. That is separate from my real, serious, LEGITIMATE, etc leagues where the drafts occur within the listed timeframe. Go ahead and draft whenever you want, just stop saying they are teh same or equivalent to REAL drafts that occur within a reasonable proximity to the start of the season.

Also, the early draft are for more prepared baaaarahhh argument is retarded. Of course drafting in June is harder, you have less information to work with. That doesn’t make it more skillful, jsut harder. Driving with my feet would be harder, that doesn’t make it better.

:rolleyes:

pro of 10 teams vs. 12 teams is two less annoying owners to deal with.

RULE 6 Only morons and rookies have to wait till the last second because they know nothing about football except what the mags tell them.

Can someone help me get the hook out of my mouth?

Mine drafts Aug. 20th. :wall:

All I have to do now is expand to 12 teams, add IDPs, and a PPR rule, and I can sit at the grownups table. :first:

Make sure your draft is an Auction, or back to the kids table for you!

Make sure your draft is an Auction, or back to the kids table for you!

:wall:

I actually pitched this idea to my league a couple years ago, but most of them didn't want it. :( I think it would be extremely fun. Provided the draft took place no earlier than mid August. ;)

Obviously the author is fishing, but I agree that later is better. I think a lot of people who draft early do so because they don't have the patience to wait. To me, drafting early is like opening your Christmas presents in November. Part of the fun is the anticipation.

That doesn’t make it more skillful, jsut harder. Driving with my feet would be harder, that doesn’t make it better.

:wall:

LOL. something that is hard to do is not more skillful . . . please stop . . . and you're trying to compare drafting earlier to driving with your feet . . . funny stuff . . .

No one argued that drafting is or isnt fun. A league can be "just for fun" and draft in Feb, whatever. That is the crux of the argument of legitimacy. Those of you participating in early draft are getting defensive. I am in a league with a slow moving email draft that starts beginning of July. It is a "fun" league. That is separate from my real, serious, LEGITIMATE, etc leagues where the drafts occur within the listed timeframe. Go ahead and draft whenever you want, just stop saying they are teh same or equivalent to REAL drafts that occur within a reasonable proximity to the start of the season.

Also, the early draft are for more prepared baaaarahhh argument is retarded. Of course drafting in June is harder, you have less information to work with. That doesn’t make it more skillful, jsut harder. Driving with my feet would be harder, that doesn’t make it better.

:(

What is "reasonable proximity" Why do you get to determine what reasonable proximity is to the season . . . A draft held in January would be more challenging and fun thatn a draft held in September . . . if you hold one in January, you don't have everything spelled out for you, and you actually have to put some thought into it . . .

I think the NFL should extend the combine for a couple of months. Run all the draft-elligible players through a full training camp, positional drills and workout, exhibition games, etc. That way, they can push the draft back closer to training camps, or even the beginning of the season, and the teams can have all the information they need to minimize the risk of drafting a player.

There's inherent risk no matter when you draft. Larry Johnson may have an undiagnosed heart condition (please don't let that be true). Shaun Alexander may not be able to read blocks like he did with Hutch in front of him last year. Under a new coordinator, the vaunted Washington offense may take 8 weeks to gel. Drafting early means the most prepared, dedicated, and creative owners will usually be rewarded.

The late drafts are always filled with people holding 3-month old magazines anyway.

HTH

I second that!

:ninja:

You asked for legitimate reason so I will offer one.

The IBL league consists of 60 owners from 5 boards and will include 5 12 team drafts. Trading is a huge part of the draft meaning the drafts need to be at differnent times(2 may go on at the same time but that is all) As you can guess, logistics is very difficult, trying to get draft times for that many people can be a nightmare. It is all online and there is a 24 hour pick clock, most drafts take 2 to 3 weeks. There is no way that this league can fuction and complete the drafts starting as late as 8/12.

As for the lagitimacy of the league, I think that speaks for itself, by far one of the best and most competitve leagues I have ever been involved with.

I agree, but unfortunately in one of our leagues this year a friend is leaving for a 1.5 month European vacation, so we have to draft on the last day of July. Obviously that stunts our information base since there's lot of RB question marks this year along with interesting injuries to watch (Palmer, Culpepper, Brees, McAllister, Walker), but we can't do anything about it. :unsure:

LOL. something that is hard to do is not more skillful . . . please stop . . . and you're trying to compare drafting earlier to driving with your feet . . . funny stuff . . .

its an analogy, and a purposely bad one, thats the idea... to belittle the point that its more “skillful” too draft early. Harder doesn’t necessarily mean “requires more skill”.

What is "reasonable proximity" Why do you get to determine what reasonable proximity is to the season . . . A draft held in January would be more challenging and fun thatn a draft held in September . . . if you hold one in January, you don't have everything spelled out for you, and you actually have to put some thought into it . . .

By that reasoning, how about holding your draft now for the 2008 season? Think of how challenging that would be. You'd draft players still in college in anticipation that they might be productive for a pro team in 2 years. Would Harrison and Owens still be good at age 35? You'd have even less spelled out for you.

I don't think actually knowing who's going to be on the field on opening day lessens the challenge all that much, and I don't think it would be fun at all if half the players I drafted ended up hurt, cut or traded to crappy teams before the season even begins.

I don't think it would be fun at all if half the players I drafted ended up hurt, cut

If that happened, that means you had a very bad draft . . . plan better next time . . .

Such a vital discussion.

Here's the prize for most irrelevant subject matter in a non-question form :sleep:

:takesabow:

I'd like to thank my mom, Jesus, noobs, bait, FFtoday Mike, that dude pretending to be a chick in this thread...

If that happened, that means you had a very bad draft . . . plan better next time . . .

How can I plan for injuries? A million different things can happen between January and September. Was I stupid because I couldn't predict that Ben Roethlisburger would nearly get himself killed in a motorcycle accident? Granted, he's probably going to be available now, but it could have turned out much differently. Or Winslow Jr. who was lost for the whole season. Or some idiot hitting his wife and getting jailed and/or suspended. I'd rather know about that stuff before I drafted as much as possible.

How can I plan for injuries? A million different things can happen between January and September. Was I stupid because I couldn't predict that Ben Roethlisburger would nearly get himself killed in a motorcycle accident? Granted, he's probably going to be available now, but it could have turned out much differently. Or Winslow Jr. who was lost for the whole season. Or some idiot hitting his wife and getting jailed and/or suspended. I'd rather know about that stuff before I drafted as much as possible.

you're making my case for me . . .

everyone knew that Ben rode without a helmet

people knew that Santonio had caharacter issues

everyone knows that Fred Taylor always gets hurt . . .

you draft those guys, you take that risk . . .

everyone knew Brain Griese had a dog... :wall:

Nobody knew Ricky Williams was going to retire before training camp. :first:

But I still think the thread starter is an idiot, a very good fisherman, but an idiot.

I agree, but unfortunately in one of our leagues this year a friend is leaving for a 1.5 month European vacation, so we have to draft on the last day of July. Obviously that stunts our information base since there's lot of RB question marks this year along with interesting injuries to watch (Palmer, Culpepper, Brees, McAllister, Walker), but we can't do anything about it. :rolleyes:

That's his own fault for leaving for 6 weeks. He should find someone else to draft the team for him to keep your league legit.

I would never draft before Aug 13th myself, but that's splitting hairs.

Wow...this thread is really messed up. I'm in a $3,500 payout league and I drafted yesturday. My league and owners are legit. Don't make crazy judgements. Nothing wrong with that. Take a chill pill Riddlen.

:takesabow:

I'd like to thank my mom, Jesus, noobs, bait, FFtoday Mike, that dude pretending to be a chick in this thread...

Sorry "Riddlen." but if I'm the 'chick' you're talking about, it's gonna come as a complete surprise to my hubster, who unfortunately doesn't get as excited about sports as I do. Just wondering what I said that would make you think I'm a 'dude' . . . Actually, I'm too old to be a chick, but I definitely don't have the equipment to pass for a male of ANY age.

I said I was a rookie last year, and this is by far the best place with the best information I've found on the 'boards,' (ESPN has more testosterone than I care to deal with), but I'm just beyond rookie, and don't know all the terminology. Someone asked how big my 'can' is - at least I think they were asking me. I have NO idea what the question means. So, I can't answer, and if I knew what it meant, I might choose NOT to answer.

But alas, I'm not a dude.

I don't know what this thread is all about, but I do know that I can't wait for the Titans to kick arse this year. Our draft was last month and I was able to steal Steve McNair in the sixth round.

I don't know what this thread is all about, but I do know that I can't wait for the Titans to kick arse this year. Our draft was last month and I was able to steal Steve McNair in the sixth round.

So why can't I have YOUR luck!? Anyway, I do know what this thread's all about, and I really want to know who elected Riddlen to define "legitimate."

STEAL??

LMAO

he's going (on average) in the 12th round . . . I think you are the one that got fleeced . . .

Sorry "Riddlen." but if I'm the 'chick' you're talking about, it's gonna come as a complete surprise to my hubster, who unfortunately doesn't get as excited about sports as I do. Just wondering what I said that would make you think I'm a 'dude' . . . Actually, I'm too old to be a chick, but I definitely don't have the equipment to pass for a male of ANY age.

I said I was a rookie last year, and this is by far the best place with the best information I've found on the 'boards,' (ESPN has more testosterone than I care to deal with), but I'm just beyond rookie, and don't know all the terminology. Someone asked how big my 'can' is - at least I think they were asking me. I have NO idea what the question means. So, I can't answer, and if I knew what it meant, I might choose NOT to answer.

But alas, I'm not a dude.

meh, sound liek a good cover story to me. Per board rules, there is only one way to prove your femaleness...LINK

meh, sound liek a good cover story to me. Per board rules, there is only one way to prove your femaleness...LINK

after all, that's how Riddlen proved she was a chick. :clap: