Sign in to follow this  
Riddlen

If your draft is before August 11, your league is not legitimate

Its as simple as that. Its just retarded to draft before that. The later tha better.

The reason for this dubious statememt would be nice . . .

Its as simple as that. Its just retarded to draft before that. The later tha better.

and you somehow picked August 11th?

why not August 23rd? 24th? 12th? 13th?

I could go on . . .

I could go on . . .

It does sound like a stupid date. I assumed when he first said the 11th that you would have at least a week of preseason games to go by. Instead there have only been 3 preseason games played by that date. So if you aren't looking to get information from preaseason games why is the 11th so important.

But I do agree having early drafts does not make sense either. Any draft before august is just for fun and can't be considered real serious. There are always injuries and roster changes in preseason. And knowing which player is going to show up to camp out of shape or which one will break a collar bone doesn't make the owner more knowledgable it makes them more lucky.

Rule 2 -----> If you draft in a league of less than 12 it is not legitimate.

I could go on . . .

I wouldn't say a specific date, but our league always does it the last weekend of August. That way a lot of questions are answered, injuries have happened and it boils down to having a good draft based on experience, knowledge and value drafting. Less gambling on who might be the starter/who won't get injured/etc. IMO

Say you draft Thursday afternoon before the first game of the season. On the first play of the game your star RB Ronnie Brown goes down with a torn ACL and is out for the year. Did the late draft time make a difference? What is your point?

Rule 3 - If you think someone else's league isn't legitimate, you're not as cool as you think.

It does sound like a stupid date. I assumed when he first said the 11th that you would have at least a week of preseason games to go by. Instead there have only been 3 preseason games played by that date. So if you aren't looking to get information from preaseason games why is the 11th so important.

But I do agree having early drafts does not make sense either. Any draft before august is just for fun and can't be considered real serious. There are always injuries and roster changes in preseason. And knowing which player is going to show up to camp out of shape or which one will break a collar bone doesn't make the owner more knowledgable it makes them more lucky.

That date was selected based on being Friday of the second weekend of August. Saying hte 18th made more sense footballwise (more preseason), but making Aug 12 the earliest draft date possible for a legitimate league allows for 4 drafting weekends for live drafts and fundamentally a month for other drafting. Less than that would be tight.

Rule 3 - If you think someone else's league isn't legitimate, you're not as cool as you think.

I am super fly beatch :cheers:

Say you draft Thursday afternoon before the first game of the season. On the first play of the game your star RB Ronnie Brown goes down with a torn ACL and is out for the year. Did the late draft time make a difference? What is your point?

Laaaaame argument. Everyone makes that one. Drafting should contain the maximum possible information. There is no need to draft in July. The time metrics I have laid out above leave plenty of time for any drafting. Drafting before that is simply a lack of patience and a testament to our NOW, MINE, NOW society. On the flipside, name one arguement FOR drafting early.

Ive been taking part in a league that we formed here on site about a month and a half ago. Its a 12 team slow draft, we're in the 18th round, and its free, so nothing but pride is at stake, but Im telling you taking part in this thing has just opened my eyes as to how valuable certain players are deemed and its gonna go a long way to helping me out in the other drafts Im in later in the summer. Its nice to look over other people's early drafts, but actually being in the middle of an early one is pretty cool. Not having every last bit of information available quite yet definitely should be a seperating factor when drafting this early.

Injuries are going to happen. But those injuries are going to happen throughout the preseason and season. Having one of those players is unlucky. Wouldn't you rather wait to get as many injuries out of the way before you draft and hence take some of the luck out of the game?

I don't want to knock the early drafts because if you can get together and do them it is a fun time. It is just that the early drafts involve a lot more luck. They are for fun but a serious league will try to eliminate that luck.

Ive been taking part in a league that we formed here on site about a month and a half ago. Its a 12 team slow draft, we're in the 18th round, and its free, so nothing but pride is at stake, but Im telling you taking part in this thing has just opened my eyes as to how valuable certain players are deemed and its gonna go a long way to helping me out in the other drafts Im in later in the summer. Its nice to look over other people's early drafts, but actually being in the middle of an early one is pretty cool. Not having every last bit of information available quite yet definitely should be a seperating factor when drafting this early.

Exactly my point. The early draft is fun and is used to gather information for your serious leagues. It is also interesting to note that a lot of early draft leagues that we see on this board are free and the pay leagues come later.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Thank you; my point exactly . . .

Rule 4 - you look like a douche for starting a thread about it

On the flipside, name one arguement FOR drafting early.

1 ) Drafters how to ask themselves how high of a pick they are willing to invest on players coming back from injury (Palmer, Brees, Walker, etc.)

2) Smart drafters that can properly assess starting positions battles (Minnesota backfield, Tennessee backfield, Denver backfield, etc.) will get properly rewarded . . .

its too easy to wait until September; drafting in July is much more challenging . . .

Laaaaame argument. Everyone makes that one. Drafting should contain the maximum possible information. There is no need to draft in July. The time metrics I have laid out above leave plenty of time for any drafting. Drafting before that is simply a lack of patience and a testament to our NOW, MINE, NOW society. On the flipside, name one arguement FOR drafting early.

Only leagues that draft after week three of the regular season are legitimate. Why? So that you'll know who's won all the position battles! Can you imagine how much more accurate your positional rankings would be if you drafted after week 3? Like you siad, "Drafting should contain the maximum possible information."

:banana: :lol: :banana:

Only leagues that draft after week three of the regular season are legitimate. Why? So that you'll know who's won all the position battles! Can you imagine how much more accurate your positional rankings would be if you drafted after week 3? Like you siad, "Drafting should contain the maximum possible information."

:banana: :lol: :banana:

Classic . . .

Last time I checked FF was supposed to be fun....draft whenever you and your league want too....

Why should guys who love FF be penalized by the morons who only start looking for things in the middle of August?

If someone thinks that Benson or Gore is going to win the job but its not finalized until Late August why should the guys who are sleeping be able to get the fair crack at them....

My point being that no matter when you draft you are using the maximum possible information up to that point in time. Drafting earlier or later isn't "more" information. It is just different. I love a deep dynasty draft in February-March to get through the offseason. If only I wasn't already in so many dynasty leagues...

After two games, if you can't spot the sucker in your league, you are the sucker.

Now you tell me. :(

:D :D :banana:

Yeah, that requires too much insight.....

The easier the better, right?

The whole premise to this posts screams insecurity and cowardice. Do NFL teams know how to predict injury to their players? Do they know who will come out on top in preseason competitions? A draft is simply preparation with the best info at that point in time. The timing of the draft is relative, since all of the teams are drafting at the same time with the same info. Nice Try!!! :cheers:

Yeah, that requires too much insight.....

The easier the better, right?

I think the NFL should extend the combine for a couple of months. Run all the draft-elligible players through a full training camp, positional drills and workout, exhibition games, etc. That way, they can push the draft back closer to training camps, or even the beginning of the season, and the teams can have all the information they need to minimize the risk of drafting a player.

There's inherent risk no matter when you draft. Larry Johnson may have an undiagnosed heart condition (please don't let that be true). Shaun Alexander may not be able to read blocks like he did with Hutch in front of him last year. Under a new coordinator, the vaunted Washington offense may take 8 weeks to gel. Drafting early means the most prepared, dedicated, and creative owners will usually be rewarded.

The late drafts are always filled with people holding 3-month old magazines anyway.

HTH

Drafting early means the most prepared, dedicated, and creative owners will usually be rewarded.

HTH

easily , the best post of the thread . . .

I can't really say if drafting early is better or later is better. But I know it is two totally different ball games.

Earlier (July or early August) means you will have to take more chances on injuries(Brees, Culpepper, Palmer), rookies (before you see them in game situations), and before some injuries (knock on wood) from preseason.

Because owners will be taking more chances, everyones predraft sheets will be different, which makes the draft more interesting.

If you draft later, many of the injuries, rookies, and other issues will be resolved and you will have a much clearer predraft list.

But the only thing is that everyone's lists will be practically the same. If you draft the week before Week 1, you can probably predict 90 percent of the exact draft results in the first 6 rounds.

Rule 2 -----> If you draft in a league of less than 12 it is not legitimate.

Is this one of those new "Man Law" things? Damn, I'm impressed! Between that and the "any team drafting before August 12 isn't legitimate," you've cornered all the fake wisdom in the world!

I'm female. I'm retired (early, I might add). I have LOTS of time since I work at home running an annual continuing education meeting for my last boss pre-retirement. And I NEED a football fix. Last year was my first playing FF. I played 16 teams last season, and I played them ALL the whole season. Didn't quit on any, won the whole thing in two, made the final in 5, and the playoffs in 8 of the 16, and sucked big-time in at least 2. I spend maybe 10 - 15 hours a week during the season on my teams, maybe more, because I CAN and I WANT TO.

Have already drafted for 4 leagues. Needed that fix. Expect I'll be watching, trading, and enjoying the whole experience for at least 6 extra weeks, just because of those early drafts. Some of us play for fun, some for money, some for both, and you know what? Someone with an arrogant attitude saying how and when we choose to do it isn't "legitimate" is just crap, and doesn't make it so. You know what they say about opinions, right?

Sorry if I offended anyone, but if so, they probably earned it.

This is a fishing expedition, but I like the earlier drafts in money leagues which charge for adds/trades. Anything to build a pot is good for a league. Most of the guys who are fighting for starting jobs in camp, aren't usually to high on my draft board.

I played 16 teams last season, and I played them ALL the whole season. Didn't quit on any, won the whole thing in two, made the final in 5, and the playoffs in 8 of the 16, and sucked big-time in at least 2. I spend maybe 10 - 15 hours a week during the season on my teams, maybe more, because I CAN and I WANT TO.

How many yahoo accounts do you have?!

But I do agree with you on the fix thing, I sign up for early drafts just to get my drafting fix out of the way. Mock drafts don't count.

why does it matter. We have to draft early to make sure we can reschedule if we need to because of evacuating 4 hurricanes. So f@ck you

How many yahoo accounts do you have?!

Two, but that was by accident. I'm playing in more than one place - makes for an interesting break from work!

But I do agree with you on the fix thing, I sign up for early drafts just to get my drafting fix out of the way. Mock drafts don't count.

Tried mock drafting, and they don't help with the fix, either. My first draft was ~2 weeks ago, and my last is Sept. 3. Unless I sign up for some that go after the season starts . . .

Yeah, I agree. I usually have the draft AFTER Week 2 in the Preseason, this gives you time to "scope" out the "talent" and watch for the dreaded injuries - ala Mike Vick!!!

relevance? :thumbsup:

Probably none - had to do with the "Man Law" thing, and getting a chip on MY shoulder. Thanks for the heads up. I just knocked the chip off, and my dog is eating it!

im quitting my league of 10 teams that drafts on august 5th.

thanks for helping me to see the light. :wacko: