Sign in to follow this  
Whyamiabillsfan

Stud RB Theory will bust your team this year

Draft a RB in the 1st round, then watch all the star WRs fall to you in the 2nd and 3rd as suckers following the stud RB theory fight over Chester Taylor, Domanick Davis, and Julius Jones.

Then, grab a Jamal Lewis or Corey Dillon in the 4th or 5th and then just stock up on potential sleepers. No reason to waste your 2nd or 3rd pick on a mediocre running back.

I call this strategy Ninja Banana.

:ninja: :first:

well, once again, ill say that it all depends on the draft position. if u are near the top of the draft, i would go RB-WR, but i never know because who knows who will or wont be drafted on draft day. if i was near the bottom, i would go RB- RB

Draft a RB in the 1st round, then watch all the star WRs fall to you in the 2nd and 3rd as suckers following the stud RB theory fight over Chester Taylor, Domanick Davis, and Julius Jones.

Then, grab a Jamal Lewis or Corey Dillon in the 4th or 5th and then just stock up on potential sleepers. No reason to waste your 2nd or 3rd pick on a mediocre running back.

:lol: :first:

I don't much like the name, but I've never followed the Stud RB Theory and I do just fine. There are people that will take a RB in the first 2 rounds regardless of who else is available. That's great!!! They are also the ones begging for a WR like Steve Smith or Chris Chambers come playoff time.

That "Theory" is past its prime. Every since the 5 yard rule was enforced, the stud running back theory can be ignored.

Also want to add: If you are able to get to stud RB's in the first two rounds, maybe you need to step up a level in competition.

If you are drafting 11th or 12th, you have a great chance of getting 2 decent RB's. If you are the top of the draft and elect to go RB RB, you are probably doing your team more harm than good.

honestly i couldnt agree more. This is why i am desperately hoping to pick top 3 or find a sucker who will trade spots with me because he wants 2 RB early.

After LJ, SA, LT, Portis, Barber, Edge, Jackson, Jordan, Caddy, Ronnie and Rudi i dont trust many of the "2nd RB's".... so unless i have spot 10 or spot 9 and hope someone takes Manning or TO, i would much rather grab one of the Big Three and follow that up with a combo of Holt, Harrison, Chambers etc...

Ive done some mocking from the 3rd pick in a 10 teamer and i seem to be landing LT or SA and following him up with Holt and Harrison. Thats a pretty damn good 3 players and all im missing out on is Julius Jones... In one case, Kevin Jones who i am very high on this yr fell to me in the 4th.

LT, Holt, Harrison, KJ??? yes please

:ninja: :first:

:lol:

RB/RB doesn't work when you draft that #2 RB in the second round just for the sake of going RB/RB then leaving me a stud WR in the 2nd!!!!

Well, we start 3 RBs ea. game in a 12 team re-draft league -- We have an auction draft, with a $100 cap -- Also, we have the growingly pre-historic, more classic scoring, td oriented system.. but i do agree mainly with what you're saying.

After the top 5-6 RBs there is a considerable drop. I'll prob. still spend the most on my top 2 RBs, but i have focused on getting 3 and last year even 4 RBs, with WR and QB being my secondary focus and it has left me weak at QB and 2nd Wr/TE for sure -- This year, if all goes as normal I will prob. focus on 1 very good RB, a 2nd quality one, a somewhat more productive QB and at least one good WR/TE (we also start 3 of these). Course it'll all depend on values. I do have a tough time not trying to collect decent starting RBs like potato chips, heh..heh.. but yeah, i think that the "stud RB theory", esp. in a surpentine draft only starting 2 and 2 is a recipe for an unbalanced team. If you do go that route, you need to have a league that is receptive to trades. Last year, i was burned by my draft bigtime. Made some bad choices as it turns out.. McGahee, Ahman, Rudi (not a bad choice, but a slow start) and waste of $$ JJ Arrington and got luvky that Gates and Hines were my top two WRs. Got lucky again to bid for Chambers in our first FA round (yeah, he wasn't drafted with the MIA QB sitch.) and he was traded before he blew up -- i wound up with a Pennington/Bledsoe QB sitch.. not ideal.. but Drew was okay.. point being, i'd rather spend or pick more known quality RBs than to gobble up many and miss out on any chance at the better WRs and QBs.

I also had zippo cash left for the "flyers" and they included Housh, Fitz and a few other goodies.

I think league size, scoring, drafting order and roster requirements determine this.

In one of my leagues, with 14 teams and TD oriented, it's hard not to go RB-RB. I go into those drafts with the plan that I'll do something different if it warrants it, but I rarely find that it does.

In a smaller league I'm in thats PPR, I think it's easier to find a 2nd RB and find that the value of top WRs increases. Unless RB-RB falls into my lap, I probably will do something different like RB-WR or maybe even WR-WR. I doubt I would do WR-WR, though.

I think league size, scoring, drafting order and roster requirements determine this.

:blink: This most fundimental fact is vastly overlooked.

:blink: This most fundimental fact is vastly overlooked.

But people don't consider this, they just to RB/RB cause it's the thing to do regardless of league format.

Can't hold a candle to Monkey Steals the Peach.

:blink:

You're right on the money, I'm going WR, WR, QB, RB, RB... there are many RB's that you can't separate from 8 thru 28 :lol:

Nichee makes a key point though. In a PPR, esp. when you only need to start 2 RBs it's easy to forgo a major focus on RBs.

I need TDs -- with the exception of TO and Marvin, you can't automatically pencil in a score ea. week. Sure guys like Holt, DJax, Gates (if you can start a TE/WR), etc. are tremendous to have, but the fact is, if a team's line and defense are playing okay, the starting RB is the most likely to pound on in - it's also much easier getting a hot WR off the ww than it is a RB; that's why these expert characters foam over the "stud rb theory" - escuse the overstatment of the obvious. We need to start three and the worst team i ever fielded was light at RB.

You just need to have good preperation going into your draft -- you need to get good value where it's available when the draft/auction is happening and you need to be well versed in your scoring system.

Do you guys like to have a few 2nd/3rd tier WRs or due you really seek out the top 2-3 (say, TO, Marvin, CJ) so that you can just pencil one in have that dependibility week-in-week-out?

Do you expect to find those guys just below the top 5-6 RBs in your league, with maybe Peyton mixed in or do they go higher or lower? Just curious.

Let me know what you think of this. Our league is doing keeperfor the first time this year, keep one player drafted in the third round or lower. Well, it looks like one person hit the Jackpot and it is me, LJ with my sixth round pick. Looking at rosters there are some good rbs that are probably gone, for example Steven Jackson, Ronnie Brown, plus Steve Smith and a couple others, but it looks as if I am set.

Here is my question..would you risk going wr/qb to start off if I had Manning/TO in the fold. I know that is a high risk proposition, but LJ/TO/Manning could be tough to beat. What do you think?

Let me know what you think of this. Our league is doing keeperfor the first time this year, keep one player drafted in the third round or lower. Well, it looks like one person hit the Jackpot and it is me, LJ with my sixth round pick. Looking at rosters there are some good rbs that are probably gone, for example Steven Jackson, Ronnie Brown, plus Steve Smith and a couple others, but it looks as if I am set.

Here is my question..would you risk going wr/qb to start off if I had Manning/TO in the fold. I know that is a high risk proposition, but LJ/TO/Manning could be tough to beat. What do you think?

Well kudos to you for bagging a serious player in your keeper thingy -- well done..

As far as your question -- What kind've rosters do you have to start and what's your scoring system?

You draft for the moment. If you know who has what....when your pick rolls up and you have 9 more picks before your next pick and the guys in between you already have two backs and you have one....take a wr/qb...if there's not a steller rb available, knowing that they are going to go after qb, wr, te....you pick for the moment. Please no Aerosmith references now.

I understand the RB depth is confusing everybody but the WRs arent the studs of the past. If we had the i might bite but we dont. The WRs are gross this year.

Smith- 1a Yeh id take him real early.

Owens- Id never spend an early pick on this chump

Holt- new offense

Moss- yuck

Harrison - getting older but i like him #1b

Fitz- 1c and up but still depends on Warner and shares with Boldin

Yuck!

Stud WR theory is broken if you ask me. You can take those risks, ill take risks on RBs.

But people don't consider this, they just to RB/RB cause it's the thing to do regardless of league format.

its the thing to do because it requires the least ammount of preparation.

;) :shocking:

I think you're a dumb a$$!!! :D But I mean that with the best intentions!! :P

if you hold out on your RB2, you better be ready to handcuff whomever you get. in 12 team leagues, almost starting in the 3rd round of RBs, you are looking at handcuffing your RB2, this year more than ever.

jamal lewis will be handcuffed w/ m. anderson and dillon w/ maroney. handcuffing leads to bye week problems and wiver wire decisions early if you have to drop to add.

get the stud RBs and the clear starters and worry about WRs. i agree with you, the studs and the clear starters may be limited to about 16.

LJ, Shaun, LT2, Edge, Jordan, Rudi, Tiki (Jacobs 6 TDs), SteveJax, Portis, Caddie, Ronnie, McGahee, Westrook, fragile J.Jones, D.Davis, maybe Droughns, Kev. Jones.

Every other team is talking about RBBC, splitting carries, 3rd down backs, haven't named a stareter yet, and crap like that.

Going RB/RB blindly is just stupid unless the 2nd RB is there. it gets slim already int he 3rd round. just pray that they take lots of QBs early.

well, once again, ill say that it all depends on the draft position. if u are near the top of the draft, i would go RB-WR, but i never know because who knows who will or wont be drafted on draft day. if i was near the bottom, i would go RB- RB

I second that theory ellison!

You're right on the money, I'm going WR, WR, QB, RB, RB... there are many RB's that you can't separate from 8 thru 28 :doublethumbsup:

But you suggesting going RB/RB regardless of who is on the board is no strategy either.

I would love drafting with you stud RB theory guys.

How did the Kevin Jones / McGahee backfield treat ya? Maybe better than the Julius Jones / Jamal Lewis backfield???

Truth is, most of these RB/RB teams look hilarious by the end of the season.

I couldn't agree more..... as in my 12 team keeper (6 off/4) def if you don't draft according to your roster needs you don't have much of a chance to really improve your team.

I kept two rbs Alexander & Thomas Jones..... I still need two good rbs to keep 2 playing and a flex.

We started our draft today and the first two to go were Reggie Bush and Laurence Maroney. I finished in 4th place last year so I pick 8th.

My hope is Joseph Addai is still available...

After LJ, SA, LT, Portis, Barber, Edge, Jackson, Jordan, Caddy, Ronnie and Rudi i dont trust many of the "2nd RB's".... so unless i have spot 10 or spot 9 and hope someone takes Manning or TO, i would much rather grab one of the Big Three and follow that up with a combo of Holt, Harrison, Chambers etc...

LT, Holt, Harrison, KJ??? yes please

I drafted 12th in a 12-team league, and still managed to get Jackson and Jordan with 1.12 and 2.1; by the time it got back to me, a lot had happened . . . WR I wound up with are Boldin, Driver, and Reggie Brown (other RB's are C. Taylor and B. Westbrook). Then between my 3.12 and 4.1, QB panic set in, and the top QB left was Brooks <_< HATE that 12th spot!

:banana: <_<

I like the strategy, but it failed me last season.

I selected Egerrin James in the 1st, used my 2nd on Torry Holt, and then my 3rd on Javon Walker. I then stocked up on guys like Ronnie Brown, DeShaun Foster and Marcell Shipp and cuffed him with J.J. Arrington hoping one would emerge and that the combo of Edge, Holt and Walker would carry me throughout the season until someone stood out as my #2 back.

I thought it was a great approach, but then Walker went down for the year in the first game and none of those backs emerged as a solid number two. Foster helped late in the year, Brown did well for a small stretch of games, and J.J. Arrington wasted a bench spot before I finally cut him. I also manged to grab Gado off the WW which helped.

After week 2 or 3 I traded Torry Holt and Marcell Shipp for Plaxico Burress and Fred Taylor. I was then able to fix the hole at WR by trading Ronnie Brown for Derrick Mason heading into are playoffs.

I snuck into the playoffs, but lost after the 2nd round.

Again, I like the strategy because if Walker had stayed healthy I think it would have worked how I hoped it would. Once Walker went down though, I couldn't afford getting little production from the #2RB spot and had to find someone else. Fred Taylor worked while he was healthy and I grabbed Greg Jones once it was clear he was the replacement. Plummer and Eli Manning rotated in and out of my starting QB spot based on matchups.

It's a god strategy if you hit on those lesser valued backs, but if none of them are a reliable #2 and one of your stud WRs is hurt, it becomes a little more difficult to pull off.

I can't really say I planned it that way before the draft, but I used a VBD system and gut feeling to make my picks. Holt was clearly more valuable to me than the RBs that were left late in the 2nd, and I felt the same about Walker in the early 3rd. I thought for sure either Ronnie Brown or DeShaun Foster would come through later in the year as a reliable #2RB every week, but it didn't pan out as hoped.

Basically, if the WRs available at your pick in the 2nd and 3rd rounds are clearly more valuable than the RBs left, you should probably grab them over that RB you might reach for. You have to know how to apply your scoring sytem well enough to the players and positions they play though to really know if it's worth grabbing the WRs over another RB.

You should also target which RBs you would be happy to get in the 4th when making that 2nd WR selection. If you don't feel any of them will come back to you, than you might want to select a RB in the 3rd and target a WR you value more than others in the 4th instead of vice versa.

I like the strategy, but it failed me last season.

I selected Egerrin James in the 1st, used my 2nd on Torry Holt, and then my 3rd on Javon Walker. I then stocked up on guys like Ronnie Brown, DeShaun Foster and Marcell Shipp and cuffed him with J.J. Arrington hoping one would emerge and that the combo of Edge, Holt and Walker would carry me throughout the season until someone stood out as my #2 back.

I thought it was a great approach, but then Walker went down for the year in the first game and none of those backs emerged as a solid number two. Foster helped late in the year, Brown did well for a small stretch of games, and J.J. Arrington wasted a bench spot before I finally cut him. I also manged to grab Gado off the WW which helped.

After week 2 or 3 I traded Torry Holt and Marcell Shipp for Plaxico Burress and Fred Taylor. I was then able to fix the hole at WR by trading Ronnie Brown for Derrick Mason heading into are playoffs.

I snuck into the playoffs, but lost after the 2nd round.

Again, I like the strategy because if Walker had stayed healthy I think it would have worked how I hoped it would. Once Walker went down though, I couldn't afford getting little production from the #2RB spot and had to find someone else. Fred Taylor worked while he was healthy and I grabbed Greg Jones once it was clear he was the replacement. Plummer and Eli Manning rotated in and out of my starting QB spot based on matchups.

It's a god strategy if you hit on those lesser valued backs, but if none of them are a reliable #2 and one of your stud WRs is hurt, it becomes a little more difficult to pull off.

I can't really say I planned it that way before the draft, but I used a VBD system and gut feeling to make my picks. Holt was clearly more valuable to me than the RBs that were left late in the 2nd, and I felt the same about Walker in the early 3rd. I thought for sure either Ronnie Brown or DeShaun Foster would come through later in the year as a reliable #2RB every week, but it didn't pan out as hoped.

Basically, if the WRs available at your pick in the 2nd and 3rd rounds are clearly more valuable than the RBs left, you should probably grab them over that RB you might reach for. You have to know how to apply your scoring sytem well enough to the players and positions they play though to really know if it's worth grabbing the WRs over another RB.

You should also target which RBs you would be happy to get in the 4th when making that 2nd WR selection. If you don't feel any of them will come back to you, than you might want to select a RB in the 3rd and target a WR you value more than others in the 4th instead of vice versa.

Yeah, and of course, you would have had a similar result had you gone rb in the 3rd and he gotten hurt. Only difference might have been a better #2 wr, but maybe even a worse rb situation.

Yeah, and of course, you would have had a similar result had you gone rb in the 3rd and he gotten hurt. Only difference might have been a better #2 wr, but maybe even a worse rb situation.

True. Can't say I really looked at it from that angle.

You're right on the money, I'm going WR, WR, QB, RB, RB... there are many RB's that you can't separate from 8 thru 28 :mad:

This is gold :o

So since you can't differentiate 8 from 28, you're going to skip RBs altogether and draft the 30th and 40th best. Makes sense :first:

:cry: :(

I call your strategy the Smashed banana.

:wall: :cry:

I understand the RB depth is confusing everybody but the WRs arent the studs of the past. If we had the i might bite but we dont. The WRs are gross this year.

Smith- 1a Yeh id take him real early.

Owens- Id never spend an early pick on this chump

Holt- new offense

Moss- yuck

Harrison - getting older but i like him #1b

Fitz- 1c and up but still depends on Warner and shares with Boldin

Yuck!

Stud WR theory is broken if you ask me. You can take those risks, ill take risks on RBs.

Smith- with the no hand rule will put up top receiver numbers again

Owens- Has to be a good boy this year to get paid will produce

Holt- New offense isnt a bad thing its linehan look at chanbers last year

Moss- I feel ya there

Fitz- STAR and this is his third year he has no question marks hell produce with leinart or Warner

Harrison- I wont doubt him till he slows down hes a top 5 receiever in the history of the NFL