Sign in to follow this  
Mark Buffington

Thanking Jesus in Court Lands Hawaiian Man in Jail

:thumbsdown:

Monday , July 17, 2006

HONOLULU — Junior Stowers raised his hands and exclaimed, "Thank you, Jesus!" in court last month when he was acquitted by a jury of abusing his son.

But his joy was short-lived when Circuit Judge Patrick Border held him in contempt of court for the "outburst" and threw him in jail.

Stowers, 47, sat in the courtroom and a cellblock for about six hours until the judge granted him a hearing on the contempt charge and released him.

The judge at a July 7 hearing dropped the contempt charge, a petty misdemeanor that carries up to 30 days in jail.

Stowers couldn't be reached for comment. But his attorney in the contempt case, Deputy Public Defender Susan Arnett, said he wasn't treated fairly.

"I don't think there's anything about saying 'Thank you, Jesus' that rises to the level of contemptuous behavior in this case," she told The Honolulu Advertiser.

Stowers is a devoutly religious man active in his church who spontaneously expressed his thanks to the higher power in which he believed, she said.

Family members and Stowers' pastor at Assembly of God Church, Iakopo Sale, who watched from the gallery were "very upset that those words could land somebody in jail," Arnett said.

Border declined to comment but indicated the court minutes reflected his actions. The minutes showed he found Stowers' "nonverbal gestures and outbursts to be disruptive and improper regardless of content."

Court minutes said Border later dropped the charge because he realized Stowers' trial lawyer, Deputy Public Defender Carmel Kwock, did not have time to tell Stowers the judge had ordered both sides not to show emotion when the verdict was announced.

Stowers, of Honolulu, was charged with hitting his 15-year-old son with a broomstick in January. The misdemeanor charge of abusing a household member carries a sentence of up to a year in jail. Stowers was free on a $1,000 bond.

During the trial last month, the boy recanted his earlier statements that his father hit him, according to court records.

The boy instead testified his brother had hit him with a car door, a story verified by the brother in court.

Just before the verdict was announced on June 29, Border called city Deputy Prosecutor Sean Sanada and Kwock to the bench and told them he didn't want a show of emotion by either side, according to a defense request to dismiss the contempt charge.

When Stowers made his remarks after the verdict was announced, the judge told him, "There will [be] no more of that," the papers said.

Stowers asked to approach the bench and apologize, but the judge told him he could not and ordered him to remain in the courtroom, the defense request said.

Very good job of titling the thread out of context. I commend you on altering the reason why the man was thrown in jail. Excellent work :thumbsdown:

:thumbsdown:

Monday , July 17, 2006

HONOLULU — Junior Stowers raised his hands and exclaimed, "Thank you, Jesus!" in court last month when he was acquitted by a jury of abusing his son.

But his joy was short-lived when Circuit Judge Patrick Border held him in contempt of court for the "outburst" and threw him in jail.

Stowers, 47, sat in the courtroom and a cellblock for about six hours until the judge granted him a hearing on the contempt charge and released him.

The judge at a July 7 hearing dropped the contempt charge, a petty misdemeanor that carries up to 30 days in jail.

Stowers couldn't be reached for comment. But his attorney in the contempt case, Deputy Public Defender Susan Arnett, said he wasn't treated fairly.

"I don't think there's anything about saying 'Thank you, Jesus' that rises to the level of contemptuous behavior in this case," she told The Honolulu Advertiser.

Stowers is a devoutly religious man active in his church who spontaneously expressed his thanks to the higher power in which he believed, she said.

Family members and Stowers' pastor at Assembly of God Church, Iakopo Sale, who watched from the gallery were "very upset that those words could land somebody in jail," Arnett said.

Border declined to comment but indicated the court minutes reflected his actions. The minutes showed he found Stowers' "nonverbal gestures and outbursts to be disruptive and improper regardless of content."

Court minutes said Border later dropped the charge because he realized Stowers' trial lawyer, Deputy Public Defender Carmel Kwock, did not have time to tell Stowers the judge had ordered both sides not to show emotion when the verdict was announced.

Stowers, of Honolulu, was charged with hitting his 15-year-old son with a broomstick in January. The misdemeanor charge of abusing a household member carries a sentence of up to a year in jail. Stowers was free on a $1,000 bond.

During the trial last month, the boy recanted his earlier statements that his father hit him, according to court records.

The boy instead testified his brother had hit him with a car door, a story verified by the brother in court.

Just before the verdict was announced on June 29, Border called city Deputy Prosecutor Sean Sanada and Kwock to the bench and told them he didn't want a show of emotion by either side, according to a defense request to dismiss the contempt charge.

When Stowers made his remarks after the verdict was announced, the judge told him, "There will [be] no more of that," the papers said.

Stowers asked to approach the bench and apologize, but the judge told him he could not and ordered him to remain in the courtroom, the defense request said.

:cry:

Had nothing to do with religion, its just propaganda for fanatics!

Very good job of titling the thread out of context. I commend you on altering the reason why the man was thrown in jail. Excellent work :thumbsup:

WTF? Did you read the article? He was acquitted because he other son admitted hitting the victim with a car door. The father did nothing wrong in this instnace.

WTF? Did you read the article? He was acquitted because he other son admitted hitting the victim with a car door. The father did nothing wrong in this instnace.

Did YOU read the article?

In other words, the actual words that this guy shouted out had nothing to do whatsoever with the contempt charge. He could have said "My underpants smell fresh and clean!" and still been found in contempt.

Did YOU read the article?

In other words, the actual words that this guy shouted out had nothing to do whatsoever with the contempt charge. He could have said "My underpants smell fresh and clean!" and still been found in contempt.

Jackass,

If the judge wants to no outburst from either side he should announce it to the court room, not just to the attorneys. Then it would be contemptuous.

This is why I can't take Buffington's nonstop liberal media conspiracy stuff seriously - he sees bias in everything, even when his own links don't support his point.

Jackass,

If the judge wants to no outburst from either side he should announce it to the court room, not just to the attorneys. Then it would be contemptuous.

In other words it was the outburst that landed the man in jail, not the fact that he thanked Jesus.

You're welcome.

Jackass,

First of all, judges frequently communicate instructions to the plaintiff and defendant through their attorneys, Judge Wapner. :thumbsup:

Second, again...did YOU read the focking article that you posted?

So, when the judge realized that the defendant had not been made aware of his instructions, the judge dropped the contempt charge.

To conclude, the man's words...the fact that he praised Jesus...had nothing to do with the contempt charge, as your misleading and erroneous thread title states.

He could have said "My underpants smell fresh and clean!" and still been found in contempt.

No, I'm pretty sure that would have been perjury.

This is just another sad instance of liberal activist judges expecting their orders in a courtroom to be followed. They act like they're in charge of the damb place! :huh:

Clearly I'm no Chirstian but I think a man ought to be able to express his joy after being aquited. Even if, two minutes later he was still bouncing on the floor babbling in toungues, I'd have ordered him removed from the court and only if he resisted charged him with content.

I think the judge overreacted.

Clearly I'm no Chirstian but I think a man ought to be able to express his joy after being aquited. Even if, two minutes later he was still bouncing on the floor babbling in toungues, I'd have ordered him removed from the court and only if he resisted charged him with content.

I think the judge overreacted.

Based upon this:

I get the feeling that the defendant had been doing this sort of thing throughout the trial and the judge had enough, but it's not really clear from the article if that's what happened or not.

Bottom line? If you are a defendant in a criminal case it's probably a good idea to follow the judge's instructions.

Based upon this:I get the feeling that the defendant had been doing this sort of thing throughout the trial and the judge had enough, but it's not really clear from the article if that's what happened or not.

Bottom line? If you are a defendant in a criminal case it's probably a good idea to follow the judge's instructions.

Certain sects of Christians behave this way. Especally under stress and a courtroom where you're defending yourself from criminal charges certainly is stressful. He should just have been physically removed.

Certain sects of Christians behave this way. Especally under stress and a courtroom where you're defending yourself from criminal charges certainly is stressful. He should just have been physically removed.

So, because he is religious he should be afforded greater leniency?

I could easily see any number of members of the Geek Board being brought before this judge in a similar case and blurting things out of a slightly less religious bent, but spontaneous declarations of relief and vindication nonetheless.

If he shouted out "FOCK YEAH!" or :Homer:"WOO-HOO!":Homer: when he was acquitted, as opposed to "Thank you, Jesus!" would that have merited the contempt charge?

Sounds like the judge wanted a calm courtroom......I too think he overreacted, but I don't see this as some kind of statement against religion.

Sounds like the judge wanted a calm courtroom......I too think he overreacted, but I don't see this as some kind of statement against religion.

:(

I too think he overreacted, but I don't see this as some kind of statement against religion.
Its not. The title of the thread is the title of the article. Not something I came up with to mislead the forum. Bottom line, the judge over reacted. Whether the guys said "Praise Jesus", "Thank God" or "Yes, justification!" it doesn't matter.

He held someone in content, based on instructions the defendant never recieved because and he was exicted to be acquited. Voltaire is the only one who got it. Everyone else jumped to the "Buffington is so blind, he's an idiot" position. fock off. s

Its not. The title of the thread is the title of the article. Not something I came up with to mislead the forum. Bottom line, the judge over reacted. Whether the guys said "Praise Jesus", "Thank God" or "Yes, justification!" it doesn't matter.

He held someone in content, based on instructions the defendant never recieved because and he was exicted to be acquited. Voltaire is the only one who got it. Everyone else jumped to the "Buffington is so blind, he's an idiot" position. fock off. s

No. We got it. But the judge DIDN'T KNOW the defendant had never been informed. Therefore, he reacted accordingly. When he found out that the defendant was unaware of his instructions he dropped the charges. Big freakin' deal.

Maybe it's because of your history of crying about bias and the fact that this stupid non-story wasn't worth posting?