Sign in to follow this  
Red White and Blue

Ten active RBs who are better than Emmitt in his prime

I think you are wrong. :pointstosky:

in his defense, it is lunchtime and he's drinking beer alone. :banana:

Okay, I'm no Emmitt fan - in fact for my top 3 RBs of all time he's not even on the list (Walter Payton - Jim Brown - Barry Sanders, followed by Gayle Sayers and then Emmitt, though even then Bo Jackson & Earl Campbell are right there), but there's no way you can say that all those players are better than Emmitt in his prime, even if you took away his offensive line. Give the guy some props - he was still a great RB. I'd argue that only LT2 could make that claim, and maybe S. Alexander, but even then, it's doubtful. All the others have a hell of a lot to prove, especially your 2 2nd year RBs who haven't proved that they can be more than 1 hit wonders, let alone a Hall of Famer like Emmitt.

:banana:

LT2

Alexander

Tiki

Portis

Edge

Rudi

Cadillac

McGahee

L.Johnson

WBrook

LOL....that's funny! I'm far from being a Dallas homer....I can't stand them! But you are trying to defy greatness for whatever reason and it can't be done. Here is why Emmitt is better:

McGahee....this one is a joke, heart alone catapults Emmitt waaaaay past Willis.

Westbrook...gets hurt too much, has yet to finish a full season, he's never broken 1000 yds...c'mon!

Caddy...and he's better because???? I don't get this one at all?

Rudi....consistant and very good. Not an every down back. Rudi has to score more than 12 rushing TD's to even come close to being considered as good as Emmitt.

Edge had even better talent around him and still don't have the rings like Emmitt got "in his prime".

Alexander He is one of only four guys to score 20+ TD's in consecutive seasons....of course Emmitt is one of the other four. When it's all said and done if Alexander is in the top 3 rushers of all time, we can argue him.

Johnson I don't think 9 games by LJ can make hima consideration as being better than the leading rusher of all time?!

Portis and Tiki I love Portis, I think he has the chance to be the best back in the NFL this year and Tiki is one of the best all around backs in the game. Neither one has lead their teams anywhere though.

The only guy on your list that holds water to claiming to be better than Emmitt is:

Tomlinson Now this kid is incredible. Even though the Bolts don't go anywhere it's hard to knock anything about his game. He is constantly trying to help rebuild the Bolts...is always keyed on. Until McCardell and Gates emergence.....it was alllllll LT, and they still couldn't stop him.

LT to me is gonna have the same deal as Barry Sanders.....instead of remembering how great they were, people will always try and make them better by saying....IF...IF they would have had a line....better qb....whatever. Well, you know what they say....if my grandma had balls, she'd be my grandpa...well that isn't the case you play with the hand your dealt.

LT2

Alexander

Tiki

Portis

Edge

Rudi

Cadillac

McGahee

L.Johnson

WBrook

You are very stupid my friend.... :thumbsup:

LT2

Alexander

Tiki

Portis

Edge

Rudi

Cadillac

McGahee

L.Johnson

WBrook

Put any of these guys behind the Cowboys OL of Emmitt's days and they'd easily break his records - easy. Emmitt had no moves or power, he just ran right through holes you could drive a truck through. If you don't believe me look at how bad his numbers were in Arizona.

Put any of these guys behind the Cowboys OL of Emmitt's days and they'd easily break his records - easy. Emmitt had no moves or power, he just ran right through holes you could drive a truck through. If you don't believe me look at how bad his numbers were in Arizona.

Compare T. Jones numbers in Arizona to Emmitt's numbers in Arizona. I don't know what they are, but I would be surprized if Emmitt's weren't much better and that is a 34 yr old Emmitt compared to a 23 year old T. Jones.

One thing you're missing....you can't measure Emmitt's heart....say all you want about his line and whatever else you want....but his heart was huge.

Furthermore why can't you deal with facts? The facts are they don't have the line that Emmitt had so there is no debate. Emmitt blows them away.

Put any of these guys behind the Cowboys OL of Emmitt's days and they'd easily break his records - easy.

Link?

Didn't think so.

Link?

Didn't think so.

Went right over his head....lol!!

At age 34 and behind one of the worst lines in the NFL. Wow, you sure convinced me that a guy who has run for over 18,000 yards (20,000+ with Rec) and 164 TDs (175 w/ Rec) was a bum all based on his 2003-2004 totals with the Cards.

I hated Smith, I will always hate Dallas (and the Ginats and Washington), but most of all I hate idiots who say things like this.

What happened, did you draft him with the #1 pick in '97 or something? LOL!

Two words for you my friend.... First Ballot.

GO EAGLES!

Until someone passes him Smith is laughing all the way to the HOF as the number one rusher in the history of the NFL... Not too bad... Anything else is all just opinions...

LT2

Alexander

Tiki

Portis

Edge

Rudi

Cadillac

McGahee

L.Johnson

WBrook

WHAT? And they call me CRAZY for asking if Jamal Lewis is worth Mark and Michael Clayton.

OK, so Emmitt isn't Jim Brown and not Barry Sanders. But he is the ALL TIME LEADING RUSHER.

Maybe Alexander, maybe LT21, but that's if they can go another 5-6 years. The rest of your list is as laughable as my Draft Strategy (Value Based)

:D

Emmitt's first 4 years:

5,699 yards rushing

Portis' first 4 years:

5,930 yards rushing

Portis >>>>Emmitt

:D

Emmitt's first 4 years:

5,699 yards rushing

Portis' first 4 years:

5,930 yards rushing

Portis >>>>Emmitt

:cheers:

TD's...Emmitt 50, Portis 45.....now all Portis has to do is continue to have 8 more consecutive years of at least 1000 yards and win three Super Bowls and score 114 more TD's and he'll pass Emmitt...no problem.

Portis is gonna have a phenomenal year this year.....I'm predicting he is the #1 back by the end of the year. I'm usually wrong in these type predictions though!

Emmitt's first 4 years:

5,699 yards rushing

Portis' first 4 years:

5,930 yards rushing

Portis >>>>Emmitt

:cheers:

Nice Logic. Easy to see why you're a Redskin fan.Looks like you've had the fake pig nose and girdle a little too tight...... cutting off circulation a bit.

Portis only needs 12,000 more yards and three SuperBowl rings, a 25 TD season under his belt, for you to have an arguement.

Nice Logic. Easy to see why you're a Redskin fan.Looks like you've had the fake pig nose and girdle a little too tight...... cutting off circulation a bit.

Portis only needs 12,000 more yards and three SuperBowl rings, a 25 TD season under his belt, for you to have an arguement.

did you forget that football is a team sport? emmitt didn't win shiat without troy and the crackhead.

btw, how many titles did emmitt win in college?

portis and the canes :mellow:

did you forget that football is a team sport? emmitt didn't win shiat without troy and the crackhead.

btw, how many titles did emmitt win in college?

portis and the canes :thumbsdown:

Nice Logic again. Smurfskin.

Not worth the trouble here. Emmit broke the FL state schoolboy record for yards from scimmage w/ 8000+ just to educate you, as if past associations pre-NFL were relevant--- and play along with your specious point that Emmit's teammates count in diminishing his records, but Portis University of Miami thugs did not....And its O.K to be a UM National Champion with Portis while MI also of UM is dismissed. Nice logic .

Sounds like something Norman Einstein would say (Famous Joe Theesmann quote for those of you in Rio Linda).

:thumbsdown: this list is bullsh!t without Kevin Barlow on it.

Do I have to whip out some Shanahan quotes? huh? Do I?

I would argue that the offensive line, probably the best ever assembled, had even more to do with those titles than Troy and "the crackhead". They talk about the 3 headed monster, but that line has as much or more to do with it. Oh, and those defenses didn't suck either.

While I don't think 10 active RBs are better than Emmitt, I do think there are probably dozens of RBs (past and present) that could have rode that supporting cast to the Hall of Fame.

I do think there are probably dozens of RBs (past and present) that could have rode that supporting cast to the Hall of Fame.

Tony Dorsett > Emmitt Smith :thumbsup: :wub:

jeez what a fucktard. You know, there where many qb's better than Joe Montana when he went to KC to finish his career, does that mean that there are 10 qb's playing right now better than Joe Montana?

Success breeds criticism, and Emmitt is one of the most put-down rb's ever. He apparently was a complete no talent loser who would have kept falling over his own two feet if Aikman didnt push him through 30 yard holes opened by an offensive line not only twice as large as every other player on the field, but also twice as strong and twice as fast! Hell, I heard his grandma played in his pads once and ran for 250 and 5 scores behind that line. Turns out Emmitt's sense of direction was so bad he ended up in the wrong stadium and his grandma had to fill in for him. If you watch carfully you can see her walker.

Look I am a die-hard Eagles fan, and thereby it is built into me to hate the cowboys. But Emmit was the heart and soul of that team. The man should be a first ballot HOF inductee.

If there is a player who you can make a case that the team made him a HOF, not his talent it would be Troy Aikman. I think these current day QBs could have led that Dallas team to their 3 SB wins:

Tom Brady

Payton Manning

Ben Roethlisberger

Carson Palmer

Donovan McNabb

Drew Bledsoe

Brett Farve

Drew Brees

Kurt Warner

Jake Delhomme

Now I am not saying all of these guys are better than Aikman (although many are) but that they have the skills that would have been needed to allow Emmit to lead that team to the promiseland.

While I don't think 10 active RBs are better than Emmitt, I do think there are probably dozens of RBs (past and present) that could have rode that supporting cast to the Hall of Fame.

I would totally agree, but the fact is....Emmitt was there and no one else!

Is LJ really that good, or is the system? It's the system.

Was Marino just that much better than all the great qb's of the past or did he play in a system that let him throw the ball more than anyone else.

Majority of the great players in the past have had great teams or players/coaches that really helped get the maximum out of their abilities. There are few players that had absolutely nothing around them and they were still great. Even Sanders had two great wr's (for that time) to take pressure off of him.

Here is my list of 10 active backs that are better than Emmitt:

R. Moats (Phi) :ninja:

B. Jacobs (NYG)

R. Dayne (Den)

F. Gore (SF)

L. Gates (Buf)

K. Faulk (NE)

C. Perry (Cin)

C. Buckhalter (Phi)

J. Fargas (Oak)

A. Pienner (Det)

DEAL W/ IT! :blink:

I would totally agree, but the fact is....Emmitt was there and no one else!

Is LJ really that good, or is the system? It's the system.

Was Marino just that much better than all the great qb's of the past or did he play in a system that let him throw the ball more than anyone else.

Majority of the great players in the past have had great teams or players/coaches that really helped get the maximum out of their abilities. There are few players that had absolutely nothing around them and they were still great. Even Sanders had two great wr's (for that time) to take pressure off of him.

That's true. I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the hall of fame or anything. Just making the point that circumstances (and a little bit of luck) have a lot to do with how great a person's career can be. A lot has been said in the days leading up to the hall of fame ceremonies about individual recognition in a team sport. If Emmitt gets drafted by the Cardinals or Bengals, he's probably not going into the hall of fame. He's great, but also very fortunate to land where he did.

I guess I'm saying I agree with you. :huh:

I firmly believe that Emmit is one of the most over-rated athletes of all time, most likely THE most over-rated of all time...but this list is a bit much. I mean honestly...McGahee?