Sign in to follow this  
murf74

Jets get their running back

Is the deal done or what? The failiing physical post true? What about Houston? Did pretty decent last year.

You might want to reread the whole "breaking news" segment. :doublethumbsup:

This is fantastic news. I liked Gore already. Now, I really like him, especially in a PPR league. He looked really good against the Bears, running for 49 yards and a TD, not to mention another 32 yards on 5 receptions. And that was the Bears defense on the other side of the ball.

I just hope, hope, hope he doesn't go off in any of the remaining games so he can stay under the radar.

dont count on it. he plays the raiders tonight :doublethumbsup:

My draft was earlier today and I took a 10th round flier on Gore with the hope of him beating out Barlow outright. Much to my surprise I turn on the tube and they announce the trade; needless to say I'm dancing a mofo jig right now......not a bad investment for a #5 fantasy RB. :doublethumbsup:

Interested to see what the pick is since the Jets really aren't in a position to be trading future picks. Barlow has some talent but I'll never forget watching him give up against the Pats a couple years ago. It wasn't pretty and it left me with a very bad taste about him. Mangini's won't take any BS here so it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Does anyone know what type of money the Jets will be on the hook for here?

Great trade. I wish I had Gore in more than one league. Luckily I had Barlow in that league as well, and he's now a potential starter as well.

I think the Jets are a mess, and I'm not sure this clears up anything there. Barlow doesn't just waltz in and take the job...it might still be RBBC in Jetsland.

Barlow is a better back than people think, but I'm not sure he'll show it on the Jets. GOod upside late pick though.

And Gore is the man - as a Niners fan I am just glad we nailed down 1 guy. I HATE RBBC!!! Then again, Hicks will now get significant playing time - another last round grab. Gore's got 2 bad wings and 2 bad wheels...Hicks might be the man before the last 8 games.

• Year..........Salary...........Base Salary..........Signing Bonus..........Other Bonus

2006........$4,420,000.....$2,500,000...........$320,000.................$1,600,000
    2007........$5,171,000.....$3,250,000...........$1,920,000..............$0
    2008........$5,920,000.....$4,000,000...........$1,920,000..............$0

That is what's remaining on Barlow's current contract.

As far as I know, the Jets are responsible for Barlow's base salary, but the 49ers are the one's on the hook for his signing bonus since they gave him the contract. I think this means the 49ers take a $4,116,000 hit against the cap this year (It may get spread over two seasons though). I'm not sure how the $1.6 mil bonus factors in, but they may have already paid it as a roster bonus in the offseason.

The Jets will have to pay his base salary, but nothing else as far I know. So for this season, it adds $2.5 mil against the Jets cap. I think they can cut him whenever they want however, without taking a hit against the cap. If that's the case, they aren't locked into him for a long period of time.

In my opinion, Barlow's another body in the Jets backfield. He'll get work, but I don't see him getting 20 carries a game all the sudden. At least not at the start of the season. My guess would be the draft pick is no higher than a 4th and most likely a 5th or 6th. There's a chance it will be determined by how many carries and/or yards Barlow receives with the Jets this season.

• Year..........Salary...........Base Salary..........Signing Bonus..........Other Bonus

2006........$4,420,000.....$2,500,000...........$320,000.................$1,600,000

As far as I know, the Jets are responsible for Barlow's base salary, but the 49ers are the one's on the hook for his signing bonus since they gave him the contract. I think this means the 49ers take a $4,116,000 hit against the cap this year (It may get spread over two seasons though). I'm not sure how the $1.6 mil bonus factors in, but they may have already paid it as a roster bonus in the offseason.

The Jets will have to pay his base salary, but nothing else as far I know. So for this season, it adds $2.5 mil against the Jets cap. I think they can cut him whenever they want however, without taking a hit against the cap. If that's the case, they aren't locked into him for a long period of time.

In my opinion, Barlow's another body in the Jets backfield. He'll get work, but I don't see him getting 20 carries a game all the sudden. At least not at the start of the season. My guess would be the draft pick is no higher than a 4th and most likely a 5th or 6th. There's a chance it will be determined by how many carries and/or yards Barlow receives with the Jets this season.

This may sum it up a bit better.

If Barlow were traded then the 49ers would be responsible for $1.92 million in pro-rated bonus owed to him this season. We would also be responsible for any salary earned by Barlow. If we presume that the player earns a check every game week then Barlow earns 2.5 million over 20 games (Including pre-season). So each game he earns $125,000.

If he were traded before the Raider game this weekend the 49ers would have to take a 1.92 million hit, but they would save $2,375,000 or 2.375 million dollars in base salary. (That's Barlow's full year salary minus the $125,000 game check). So the 49ers would actually save $455,000 if he were traded.

Then, next year the team would absorb the rest of the bonus, which would be 3.84 million in that dreaded dead money. Of course, though, the team would save the $3.25 million in salary owed to Barlow in 2007 so it would be a net cap hit of $590,000 in 2007.

Link

FWIW, the Jets fans over at ESPN's boards don't like it, while 49ers fans are thrilled that someone took Barlow off their hands

http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?foru...PostID=27021962

This trade does help the fantasy value of both Gore and Barlow, though with Gore you still have to question his durability which is why I wouldn't want him higher than 5th round, and Barlow moves up ahead of most handcuff RB's but is among the least intriguing starting RB's.

im here watching jets camp journal and ray lucas and adam schein are killing the barlow trade, they hate him. at the draft the jets gm and coach were saying that they were all about charcater players and then they go deal for this bad apple.

lucas is loving the rbbc approach here in nj.

Thanks. I would think the draft pick scenario is right in the ballpark. It wouldn't make sense for a team in a rebuilding mode to be giving up anything more on someone who's not a definite.

I guess the Jets can still use their #1 pick next season on Adrian Peterson from OU.

I have been praying daily since April that this does not happen. Please Lord, anywhere but the Jets.

This is a great trade for the Jets. While Barlow won't be on anybody's fist time HOF ballot, he is definitely better than what they already have minus Curtis Martin. He has enough time to become the undisputed starter by week 1.

I'm amazed the 49ers are betting so much on Gore staying healthy. We've already seen what Maurice Hicks can do, and it ain't much. Maybe it's that they really believe in Michael Robinson.

All players named move up the draft boards whether they deserve it or not. Cedric Houston and Derrick Blaylock can safely be forgotten for now.

Traded M. Barber for Gore last week. :dunno:

i'd say barbers more durable than gore....

gore might be nice for the first half of the season but somethin tells me he wont hold up....

BREAKING NEWS:

NewYork (FF): Recently acquired RB Barlow has failed the physical with the New York Jets. When questioned about the second failed physical in the last week, Jets team physician Dr. Frank Stein remarked that neither had the knee structured that they were looking for. When pressured for a better answer, Dr. Stein cracked and blurted out "We aren't looking for a RB, we are looking for someone with a similar knee to a healthy Curtis Martin. We believe that by transplanting someone's good knee to Martin, that we can increase the length of his career by 2-3 months." Upon hearing this, a jailed Maurice Clarett offered his knees to the Jets for an undisclosed sum. "at least part of me will play in the NFL this way" remarked Clarett.

Classic. ;)

49er faithful (worst add campaign ever). I've watched Barlow a lot.

9ers angle. Will still pay him for 2 years. Nolan found a team to take a good player at 1/2 price so he can get more control of the team and extend his own time is SF. If Gore goes down the season in serious trouble and he can claim they got a pick for Barlow, while still in reality they are paying him, and Nolan can blame Barlow's contract on previous coaches and management.

J-E-T-S angle. The guy has great talent. I've seen it. He's also got a poor work ethic. If he was going to NE I'd say they've got the guy that can carry the load there for years to come. Another bad team? And I mean bad like the 9ers. Remember they got him for 1/2 price.

As a Jet fan, I really need to see what kind of pick we gave up before I can judge. As stated earlier, if it's a 3rd or higher i'm thoroughly disappointed. Barlow has proven nothing except maybe that he gives up if things don't go his way. He's had 5 years to prove that he can live up to his potential and never has. Obviously the Jet brass were not solid on Houston/Blaylock, so from a fantasy perspective Barlow will get a shot to start sooner rather than later IMO. What he does with it is a different story.

He's had 5 years to prove that he can live up to his potential and never has.

That's a bit of an exaggeration.

He has had success inside that time-frame, rushing for over 1000 yards with 7 TDs in part time play.

Then he had a rat's ass O-Line, a bad QB, no WRs who could block or be consistent, and the best receiving threat at the time Eric Johnson got hurt. The defense was a mess too, causing the Niners to have to abandon the run and play from behind. He averaged less than 9 carries a game in his 1st 2 seasons as a "feature back".

Perhaps you could explain how he's had an opportunity to live up to his potential playing on terrible teams the last 2 years (not 5). I'm definately interested in hearing substance for a change.

Not saying Barlow's great, but at least try to be accurate. He could well earn the starting gig in NY, but I don't see that team as contending any time soon, so I'd expect more of the same from Barlow.

If Gore goes down the season in serious trouble and he can claim they got a pick for Barlow, while still in reality they are paying him, and Nolan can blame Barlow's contract on previous coaches and management.

Your suggestion that this is some kind of plot to protect Nolan's job, and to give him a direction to point when the season fails is pretty much idiotic.

Niners are rebuilding. Nolan's job is safe. Turner's job is safe. No one in the organization expects them to compete this year.

This is not even in the ballpark of the "niner's angle" on this. What a ridiculous notion. :pointstosky:

Interested to see what the pick is since the Jets really aren't in a position to be trading future picks. Barlow has some talent but I'll never forget watching him give up against the Pats a couple years ago. It wasn't pretty and it left me with a very bad taste about him. Mangini's won't take any BS here so it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

I think it's a short time before he isn't even the starter in NY

Sweetness, just got Mo Hicks in the 13th round of my draft.

So I should have really gone with the Gore 6th Barlow 8th strat....dangit!

Heard on the radio this morning that the deal is a 4th rounder, but could be higher if incentives are met.

If Barlow wins the starting gig, it becomes a 3rd round pick, and if he rushes for 1000 yds, it will be a 2nd round pick.

Man do I hope Barlow becomes the starter and rushes for 1001 yards. A second rounder next year would be sweeeet for the Niners. :wub:

Heard on the radio this morning that the deal is a 4th rounder, but could be higher if incentives are met.

If Barlow wins the starting gig, it becomes a 3rd round pick, and if he rushes for 1000 yds, it will be a 2nd round pick.

Man do I hope Barlow becomes the starter and rushes for 1001 yards. A second rounder next year would be sweeeet for the Niners. :wacko:

That would make me sick if they paid that much for this quitter. :thumbsup: Thankfully I haven't heard anything to substantiate that story, so i'll keep praying you got bad info. :mad:

You want substance as to why he hasn't lived up to potential? Last year he averaged 3.3 yards per carry. The o-line? The poor blocking WRs and fullback? Well then how do you explain Frank Gore rushing for 4.8 ypc and more yards in 50 less attempts? Let's go to 2004. Barlow rushed for a blistering 3.4 YPC. Again, the o-line? Maybe, but backup and unknown Maurice Hicks rushed for 3.8 behind the same line and with the same surrounding cast.

How about the fact that he quit on his team and cried that the fullback wasn't blocking for him because he was best friends with his competing RB. Winners don't quit and winners don't make excuses when they don't perform. I know you've been a big supporter of his over the years. I used to think he was going to be pretty good in this league, but some guys just don't have the makeup for it, and I get the feeling Barlow is one of those guys. He certainly has natural ability, but the point is that he hasn't harnessed it. It's tough to debate that. Some flashes over 3 years ago aren't enough to overshadow the overall dissapointment IMO. I hope i'm wrong. I'm a Jet fan and unless he too fails the physical i'm stuck with him.

Well then how do you explain Frank Gore rushing for 4.8 ypc and more yards in 50 less attempts?

Easily: stats don't paint a whole picture.

As I often have to point out to people on this site, I will remind you that the game's not played on paper.

I happened to watch those games, and Gore racked up a lot of those yards late in games, against 2nd team defensive players in blowouts.

Barlow actually had several breakaway plays negated by penalties, including a terrific 40+ yd TD run where someone committed holding on the other side of the field.

It had nothing to do with Barlow being a "quitter" - he ran plenty hard last year and had several punishing runs where he ran over defenders or dragged several bodies for extra yards. He actually looked better than he had in years.

If the Jets O-Line holds up, and Pennington can stay on the field, Barlow could be sneaky good this year. But I think the Jets are going to be a bad team and Pennington is living on borrowed time. I'm not touching any NYJets this year.

Easily: stats don't paint a whole picture.

As I often have to point out to people on this site, I will remind you that the game's not played on paper.

I happened to watch those games, and Gore racked up a lot of those yards late in games, against 2nd team defensive players in blowouts.

Barlow actually had several breakaway plays negated by penalties, including a terrific 40+ yd TD run where someone committed holding on the other side of the field.

It had nothing to do with Barlow being a "quitter" - he ran plenty hard last year and had several punishing runs where he ran over defenders or dragged several bodies for extra yards. He actually looked better than he had in years.

If the Jets O-Line holds up, and Pennington can stay on the field, Barlow could be sneaky good this year. But I think the Jets are going to be a bad team and Pennington is living on borrowed time. I'm not touching any NYJets this year.

I agree.

and Pennington will put more fear into opposing defenses than Alex Smith did last season. As such, the box wont be stacked as often against him when he runs the ball.

Hes on a better team (cant get much worse than SF was last season) so I'd expect a decent year. 1000 yards isnt an unreasonable number. And if the O-Line has a good year, he may surprise all of us with something better.

I picked him offa waivers last nite to be my #4 RB. for my purposes, he'll be just fine.

:cheers:

They are having a celebration on the niners forum...they hate barlow there.

I imagine so...for the 3 years that most of them have been fans, I can't say as I blame them.

:thumbsup:

If the Jets O-Line holds up

They did draft 2 very promising OL in the draft (D'Brick and Mangold). So I would expect at least 1000 yds from Barlow. It really does depend on whether the Jets are playing from behind most of the year. That will determine whether Barlow is average or better than average.

Man do I hope Barlow becomes the starter and rushes for 1001 yards. A second rounder next year would be sweeeet for the Niners. :wub:

If true, that's a great deal for the 49ers IMO. Even if they only get a 4th.

It's also worth noting....

if the info you have on this chart is correct, the Jets are paying Barlow one hell of a lot of money, even if they arent paying the bonuses.

I am thinking that the injury to Curtis Martin would have to be rather serious for them to make this deal. He's making way too much money to sit on the bench. I'd say the Jets must be pretty sure Barlow will start Most (if not all) of their games this season.

I know the other Jets RB's looked Terrible so far in preseason, so I think as soon as barlow can memorize enough of the plays in the playbook he will be the #1.

as for Martin, my guess is that he may be contemplating retirement or he may be gone for the season.

I dont think they'd fork out this much cash otherwise.

"Your suggestion that this is some kind of plot to protect Nolan's job, and to give him a direction to point when the season fails is pretty much idiotic.

Niners are rebuilding. Nolan's job is safe. Turner's job is safe. No one in the organization expects them to compete this year.

This is not even in the ballpark of the "niner's angle" on this. What a ridiculous notion."

Bro, no need to break out the shotgun.

I think York wants results. I think Nolan has been given control and he is taking it. Barlow was the 2nd best RB on that team. Hicks and Rookie Robison are backups. The 9ers are eating the signing bonus they gave him. I never said this was a plot to protect Nolan's job. I'm just saying Nolan is making moves to further put his name on that team and could get a coach fired. Yes they can't win now. Everyone knows that. But as of today, if Gore goes down it will be another year of Smith getting ruined. Smith is worth what to the 9ers cap? For how many more years? Let's see, now 9er fans can ask themselves, if the Smith situation turns into the Barlow situation will the ownership now ship him off and pay half his signing bonus too?. Harder to do when the coach is still there to face it.

I'm a 49er Faithful. Yea it does sound lame.

But what if the franchise is sold?

Yes they are building for the future and freeing up money by trading Barlow. Yes the O-line looks great. Yes I'm happy with the two new first rounders. Yes I do think Gore is better then Barlow. Yes I do think Gore is injury prone. Yes I think just being a RB in the NFL means that you are injury prone. No I don't think trading Barlow and paying him is good for the franchise. No I don't think taking away one of the few decent skill position players from the offense in any way is good for Smith. According to payroll Smith is the best player we got. This offence is scary. York loves this team.

well, there are a fair number of backs on the market.

maybe they acquire one to back up gore.

there is a logjam of RB's in tennessee, cleveland, and Atlanta and Chicago may be looking at trading one of their RB's.

I guess whether they acquire someone to be a starter or to backup gore depends on how much faith they have in Gore.

it seems reasonable that they would pick up another Running back just because of Gore's history of injury. If I was a betting man I'd say its almost guaranteed to happen.

Yes they are building for the future and freeing up money by trading Barlow. Yes the O-line looks great. Yes I'm happy with the two new first rounders. Yes I do think Gore is better then Barlow. Yes I do think Gore is injury prone. Yes I think just being a RB in the NFL means that you are injury prone. No I don't think trading Barlow and paying him is good for the franchise. No I don't think taking away one of the few decent skill position players from the offense in any way is good for Smith. According to payroll Smith is the best player we got. This offence is scary. York loves this team.

this part I totally agree with. I would have liked them to pick one and use the other as a declared change of pace. No RBBC, just either Barlow starts and Gore spells, or Gore starts and Barlow spells.

I agree that he is one of the skill position players there, and there must be something else going on...beat out by Gore and disgruntled maybe? Who knows.

anyway, let's hope for the best. If Nolan wants to put his stamp on that team, I am all for it - between he & Turner, it's a coaching staff that knows a thing or two about winning. York was embarassed by his ineptitude with the Erickson fiasco - the two full page ad that he took out eating crow was a sign, and sure enough, things improved.

New talk of a stadium complex has me thinking a sale is unlikely, but if it gets sold it will likely be to Steve Young, Brent Jones & Co - they have an investment group poised. I wouldn't mind that a bit. Maybe Steve could be the QBs coach for a while too. :pointstosky:

well, there are a fair number of backs on the market.

maybe they acquire one to back up gore.

there is a logjam of RB's in tennessee, cleveland, and Atlanta and Chicago may be looking at trading one of their RB's.

I guess whether they acquire someone to be a starter or to backup gore depends on how much faith they have in Gore.

it seems reasonable that they would pick up another Running back just because of Gore's history of injury. If I was a betting man I'd say its almost guaranteed to happen.

I'd agree - that's why I was surprised they dealt Barlow. But Robinson's been turning heads in camp as a RB - Nolan's been comparing him to Marcus Allen...maybe they think they're ok at RB and can really make a push in 2007 with an extra 2nd rounder. Maybe they think they'll take a RB in 1st round of the 2007 draft, and between Hicks, Gore and Robinson they can get by.

Works for me.

John Clayton has an article on ESPN insider where he states it's a pure 4th rounder. That I can live with.

John Clayton has an article on ESPN insider where he states it's a pure 4th rounder. That I can live with.

It is - plus incentives.

Clayton doesn't know sh!t, and nothing he reports is accurate. He comes off like a knowitall and there have been many instances of him saying something definitive, then getting ripped to shreds on this forum for being wrong.

Time will tell, but I'm not going to buy it until it's official. IMO KNBR has more cred than Clayton.