Sign in to follow this  
TerryOBrien

Tiki Barber

I have the dreaded 4th pick , I have debatting this pick since I found out about it . PPR league (1 point after the third)

I was a Portis man, then he went down. Then I was a Steven Jackson man now Davis is getting signed. I did not want to draft Tiki because I am a Philly guy and I do not really think he will be going all out to end his carreer by pushing himself to the limit.

Now I am starting to think he is my only option at #4. Should I just bite the bullet and take him? Is Edgerinn James even an option here considering he is on the Arizon No O liners..... Just wondering what you guys think about this pick given the latest news.

Brandon Jacobs is going to get 7-8 TDs this season. Barber has already stated BJ is the goal line guy.

I'm in the same dilema as you. I'm either picking Edge or Ronnie Brown here. I'm not going with Tiki cause of his age and size, plus the fact that Brandon Jacobs looks AWESOME in preseason and will take away goal line carries. Clinton Portis, cause of his injury and the fact that Duckett will get the goal line carries so that Portis does not get injured again. SJax, he has tendinitis in his ACHILIES, plus the MAYBE addition of S. Davis, he will get the goal line carries aswell.

Ronnie & Edge will get the goal lines carries and will be effective in the passing game, so that is why those will be my picks. I must get a very good #2 RB to play it safe, I hope the FF gods are with me in my draft.

Might want to look at Sean Gentille's piece on the home page.

Link

I like Tiki, but he has a lot of warnings out on him this year -- age, workload, coming off a career year, Jacobs stealing goal line carries, etc. Maybe none of those caveats will prove to be true, but it's enough to give me pause. Take a look at Ronnie, Rudi, Edge. These guys are pretty good bets, particularly if you don't want Tiki in the first place.

Good insite guys . This damn pick has been buggin me. Ronnie Brown at 4 huh, that is a stretch from his ADP numbers usually like 8. I do think Tiki is overrated. CBS has Edge in the 5th spot on theyre list right now.

Think that they are assuming that we should ignore Arizona and Denny Greens tendancy to pass first ask questions later? Will the Oline play up to James being a ten time better runner? I would love to pick Edge at #4 I just hope he is not a bust waiting to happen. :doublethumbsup:

Good insite guys . This damn pick has been buggin me. Ronnie Brown at 4 huh, that is a stretch from his ADP numbers usually like 8. I do think Tiki is overrated. CBS has Edge in the 5th spot on theyre list right now.

Think that they are assuming that we should ignore Arizona and Denny Greens tendancy to pass first ask questions later? Will the Oline play up to James being a ten time better runner? I would love to pick Edge at #4 I just hope he is not a bust waiting to happen. :mad:

Bro, unfortunally WE have that pick {#4} and it is a risk from the beginning. I will go with gut feeling at the start of the draft, but those are my guys {Ronnie-Edge}. Good luck man.

I'm in the same dilema as you. I'm either picking Edge or Ronnie Brown here. I'm not going with Tiki cause of his age and size, plus the fact that Brandon Jacobs looks AWESOME in preseason and will take away goal line carries. Clinton Portis, cause of his injury and the fact that Duckett will get the goal line carries so that Portis does not get injured again. SJax, he has tendinitis in his ACHILIES, plus the MAYBE addition of S. Davis, he will get the goal line carries aswell.

Ronnie & Edge will get the goal lines carries and will be effective in the passing game, so that is why those will be my picks. I must get a very good #2 RB to play it safe, I hope the FF gods are with me in my draft.

I'm at the 5, and assuming Tiki goes for, I will be choosing between the same 2 guys. Hard decision.

Note on Edge...he did not produce top 4 numbers on the Colts last year....how will he manage that with a weaker QB, weaker O-line, and slightly lesser WRs?

Note on Edge...he did not produce top 4 numbers on the Colts last year....how will he manage that with a weaker QB, weaker O-line, and slightly lesser WRs?

Its not always about picking 4th and expecting to get the 4th best RB. Sometimes it is about upside or in Edge's case: consistency.

Edge has more career carries than Barber. That's more of a red flad than Barber's age (31). C-Mart and Watters both had great years at that age recently. The 30+ drop off seems to occur more due to mileage and major injury (ie, Faulk, E George). Tiki actually has fewer career carries going into his age 31 season than C-Mart and Watter. He actually has about 1000 less than C-Mart did at this point.

As for the goal line TD's, Tiki only had 2 TD's from inside the 5 last year and still did pretty well overall.

I wouldn't normally draft like this, but if you're at #4 this year I think you've got to go with the player with the most minimal downside. In '06, that seem to be Tiki (followed by Rudi). To me, there are more ??? with the younger backs this season.

Its not always about picking 4th and expecting to get the 4th best RB. Sometimes it is about upside or in Edge's case: consistency.

Especially in a PPR league Tiki is as consistent as they come. He might not get 10-12 TD's but the 60-70 receptions (compared to about 20 for Alexander) is an eqivalent of 6+ TD's. Add in the fact that he absolutely chews up yardage and you got yourself a pretty good back (even if he only runs in 6-8 TD's). In a performance/PPR type league I would have no problems drafting Tiki 4th (even before Portis went down). In a straight up TD heavy league I might be more inclined to look at guys like SJax, Rudi, etc.

btw: Jacobs was taking GL carries last year too. I know atleast 5 of Jacobs 7 TD's were inside the 5 last year.

Consistency does not tranfer to new teams

I think this just illustrates how many question marks there are with RBs this year. There's a bunch of guys who are older (Tiki), banged up (Portis), young and looking to make the jump (Brown, Caddy, Jackson) or in new, questionable situations (Edge). The only guy left is Rudi, and I guess he's a good pick, but 4 seems high.

Given all these question marks, I'd try to trade down to 12, and go WR-WR, then load uo on the undervalued RBs later (Foster, Dillon, Taylor). The two WRs you get will at least be consistant, whereas picking a RB 4th is a crapshoot. Later round RBs have just as good of a chance at having big years as all the guys with the high ADP, but none of the risk. Look at McGahee and Kevin Jones last year.

speaking of consistency, i think i read something about rudi getting 2/3 of his #'s in about 1/3 of his games. i'm too lazy to look it up but that, if true, isn't very consistent.

I understand the concerns about Tiki's age and wear&tear. IMO, those are legit concerns.

But the B Jacobs hype doesn't concern me as much.

- how do you know he'll stay healthy all year? didn't he miss some time last year?

- OK, so he's big and he can plunge in from the one. Can he still be as effective as Tiki from the 5? the 4?

- give Jacobs his 7-8 TDs... that should still leave 8-10 for Tiki to score.

What people fail to mention when discussing Tiki is the potency of the NYG's offense. The NYG's are poised to be a high scoring team (again). It's not a coincidence that as the NYGs offense has improved, so too have Tiki's numbers.

His one-time knock of being inconsistent, and an "every other year" player was more a result of his team ranking 20th (or lower) on offense than it was his abilities.

I am trying to talk myself out of taking Peyton with the #4 pick because I know he will be great BUT there are a lot of good QB's to be had later this year...

Too may options at RB that may not pan out though - take the guarantee or not?

I am trying to talk myself out of taking Peyton with the #4 pick because I know he will be great BUT there are a lot of good QB's to be had later this year...

Too may options at RB that may not pan out though - take the guarantee or not?

I took him 4th in 12man, it's a gut check with all the running backs after the top three.

So far I have

Tiki

Harrison

Gore

Horn

A.Bryant

I took him 4th in 12man, it's a gut check with all the running backs after the top three.

So far I have

Tiki

Harrison

Gore

Horn

A.Bryant

I've got no problem with your start, Tiki, Harrison.

I'm curious what else was on the board in teh 3rd and then 4th?

also 5th seems VERY early for A Bryant (and I really like him this year).

.02 :thumbsdown:

I like Tiki, but he has a lot of warnings out on him this year -- age, workload, coming off a career year, Jacobs stealing goal line carries, etc. Maybe none of those caveats will prove to be true, but it's enough to give me pause. Take a look at Ronnie, Rudi, Edge. These guys are pretty good bets, particularly if you don't want Tiki in the first place.

There is no good reason to put anyone other than the big 3 ahead of Tiki, before Portis went down he had a case, same with Jackson, with the others(rudi,ronnie,edge) its blind hope. There is no overriding evidence. Maybe Peyton.

There is no good reason to put anyone other than the big 3 ahead of Tiki, before Portis went down he had a case, same with Jackson, with the others(rudi,ronnie,edge) its blind hope. There is no overriding evidence. Maybe Peyton.

Peyton's where I'm going. This #4 position has been debated to death. Tiki's great because of this.....Tiki sucks because of this. Now after Barber, Jackson, and Portis all came up with a few issues, guys are talking themselves into Ronnie Brown being the #4? You can have him. I may be taking a chance on RB's later by taking Peyton, but the guys I get later don't seem to have much of a drop off from the 2nd tier backs. In the meantime there are absolutely no questions about Peyton. Never gets hurt, surrounded by great weapons, will throw for over 4,000 and has shown he can throw 40td's. His ceiling is much higher than any other QB.

You can take a chance on Ronnie in the 1st. I'll take a chance on KJ or Willie Parker in the 2nd after taking the best QB, hands down.

and I do not really think he will be going all out to end his carreer by pushing himself to the limit.

This could not be any more off. Tiki has concerns, mostly due to Jacobs, but this goes against everything the player is about. He is not planning on coasting into retirement. He plans to go out on top, and if anything, will push even harder.

This could not be any more off. Tiki has concerns, mostly due to Jacobs, but this goes against everything the player is about. He is not planning on costing into retirement. He plans to go out on top, and if anything, will push even harder.

if the NYG's win the SuperBowl, is Tiki a legit candidate for the HOF?

if the NYG's win the SuperBowl, is Tiki a legit candidate for the HOF?

I think the numbers would come a little shy. A SB would be a huge boost, but he needs another couple years of elete numbers.

People give too much credit to the first round. Every pick matters. I could win without having a first or second round pick (only a 10 team league and I'm a fantasy football geek, you know). In fact last year I took Julius Jones and Willis McGahee in the first two rounds. I cut them both by the time I was in the Championship game. Too bad Julius Jones went off and Steve Smith got ejected or I would have won the whole thing.

I think the numbers would come a little shy. A SB would be a huge boost, but he needs another couple years of elete numbers.

Heres how it's gone so far maybe this helps.

Round Selection Player

1 1 SD RB LaDainian Tomlinson

2 12 DAL WR Terrell Owens

3 12 BAL RB Jamal Lewis

4 1 DET WR Roy Williams

5 12 NYG TE Jeremy Shockey

6 1 IND RB Joseph Addai

1 2 KC RB Larry Johnson

2 11 DAL RB Julius Jones

3 11 MIA WR Chris Chambers

4 2 CIN QB Carson Palmer

5 11 CHI WR Muhsin Muhammad