Sign in to follow this  
devius

Why Barry Sanders is the Greatest RB of ALL Time...

Barry didn't have the supporting cast that Emmitt had, but those Lions teams weren't nearly as bad as people act like they were. Now Emmitt had great lineman, but Barry had guys that could get it done sometimes, it isn't like he was hit in the backfield on every single play.

Barry's style also led to those guys looking like they were out of place or blocking the wrong way because he just took it to another hole. What made him so exciting also made his team look bad at times and it also led to a lot of negative yards....but it was also where some of the greatest runs in NFL history took place.

As to who was better, you really have to look at what you want as an ideal RB. Payton was steady and powerful with a good mix of hands and could pound all day long. Emmitt was just about as reliable as there was, though he could break a long one if a crease presented itself and he was just shifty enough to make some people miss. Barry wasnt' reliable at all, but he could take 1 or 2 every game to the house. He could get you 16 yds on a play that should have gotten you -3. He struck fear into the heart of defenses and forced them to play to stop him and let everyone else around him be better.

To say that one was better than the other is always going to be subjective because we all value different things. Some think that rings make a players career, some will argue yards, others will argue for the sake of argument. To me, Barry is a a top 3 greatest RB considering everything, but if you ask me who the most exciting RB of all time is, it is Sanders with Sayers in a close 2nd.

Barry is the BEST runner ever. Period.

Anyone who can blow someone else's knee out without touching them is uncanny.

I miss him.

If Barry played for the Cowboys..and Emmitt for the Lions. Barry would have had 20,000+ and we would be saying Emmitt Who??

:lol:

Let's not turn this into another Barry vs Emmit thread.

Did you guys see that run where barry turn the NE defensive back around 2 times and dragged him into the end zone!!!! :lol:

Wow!

I'll tell you what...

Take a poll of defensive players and/or coaches from the 90's and ask them who they feared most.

I will gaurantee the consensus will be Barry Sanders.

No other player caused defenses to change their schemes to stop, not a team, but a single man. If a defense didn't alter their plan to defend Barry, they were shredded.

I am a Southeast Michigan Lifer!!!

Too bad Barry's talents were wasted on the Lions.

I agree with those who say..."Put Barry in Dallas and history would have been different for Emmett"

They would have been bronzing Barry's shoes.

All of that said... I still say Barry is a quitter and leaves a bad taste for leaving when he did.

For himself and for the fans... this was the wrong thing to do.

Don't think he deserved to be in HOF either. (Let the flames begin!!)

:mad:

All of that said... I still say Barry is a quitter and leaves a bad taste for leaving when he did.

:doublethumbsup:

Also a metro-detroiter, and a lot of people have the same thoughts you do for the wrong reasons. You are just still mad at Barry for leaving, just like we will probably be mad at Big Ben for leaving after the pure shock lets down. Really, he was on the Lions, he wanted to win and nothing else, he was on the LIONS!!! If you were him and just wanted to win, wouldn't you do the same thing???

Greatest thing about Barry. He retired outta respect for the game, he didnt care about personal records, unlike Emmitt the Arizona Cardinal Smith

:dunno:

I am a Southeast Michigan Lifer!!!

Too bad Barry's talents were wasted on the Lions.

I agree with those who say..."Put Barry in Dallas and history would have been different for Emmett"

They would have been bronzing Barry's shoes.

:argue:

WOW......dont sit here and be an idiot.....

How can you call someone a quitter who played 10 years did all he could on a bad team......he was frusterated with coaches and the office.....why would anyone play anymore if they don't want to or if its not fun anymore....???

Its HIS career not the fan's.....

I got it, pro bowl > superbowl

season mvp > superbowl mvp + superbowl titles + postseason rushing records + superbowl rushing records

When evaluating individual players, yes a pro bowl > superbowl. Are you going to suggest that Trent Dilfer was a better QB than Marino or P Manning next?

Thanks for playing.

I

:lol:

WTF??? He said when he came in the league he was playing 10 years and out. I am also from Metro detroit and so many people around here seem to have short memories. WHEN he left the game is not the problem..........it's HOW he left the game and the way he handled it. (not very professionally)

Barry didn't have the supporting cast that Emmitt had, but those Lions teams weren't nearly as bad as people act like they were.

Exactly - they weren't 70's/early 80's Bears bad...

Payton >>>>>>> All of them.

it's HOW he left the game

Another reason Walter is the greatest - he could have stuck around for 2 more seasons as a washed up has been on another team, like Emmitt did. But of course he wasn't the glory hound that Emmitt was...

everybody talks about "if barry had played as long as emmitt...." let me tell you - had jim brown played 16 game seasons and played as long as emmitt, barry and everybody else wouldn't have been able to sniff his records.

barry was a fantastic runner, maybe the best ever - but jimmy brown was the best running back ever.

eta: and yes, barry had some supporting help. herman moore was fantastic and made several pro bowl appearances.

Barry Sanders was the best RB ever to watch.....

He was a professional about it.....besides the way he left....but the people that made him leave were jokes...

things like blocking catching and what not can never be really compared to a team with Troy the best Line ever and Irvin....

You really cant compare eras because Jim Brown was playing against 230lb Linemen and 200 lb LBs.....and he was the fastest player on teh field.....

Barry was the most Fun to watch.....and my favorite because of teh way he played the game, and didnt need the record that was easily in reach.

Jim Brown was the most dominate by far.....for his era....

Peyton was the best all around....He played against skilled players, got the stats and the SB.

SMith had heart....watching him play with that dislocted shoulder was crazy.....If Smith would have left after he hobbled his way past Walter I would have respected him more...although the record holder he did have teh least talent out of the bunch, but showed up everyday......having the record doesnt make him the best especially with the talent around him.....but he his up their....

Best RBs

Walter

Barry

Brown

Smith

but the all were class acts, and are the best in their own way as runners....

will never understand how it is the supposed "greatest rb of all time" got pulled on the goal line.....

Such as this is a fantasy football board...here's my Barry story...

Barry's rookie season (1989), he sat out all of preseason and it looked as if he would sit out part of the regular season as well. Well for 12 rounds no one would touch Barry Sanders. Last pick of that 12th round was mine..."Barry Sanders". The week before the first game Barry signed. 1470 yards and 14 TDs later I was hoisting this ;) .

The big board that our commissioner used to write down all the picks for that draft is still around somewhere. I'll have to have him dig it up.

My ankles crack everytime I watch Barry run...it was always a thrill to see him.

But as for the best ever...Sweetness gets my vote.

Have to go:

1. Brown

2. Sanders

3. Payton

4. Smith

5. Campbell

6. Sayers

7. OJ

After that it falls off a cliff.

Great quote about Earl by the wonderful Bum Phillips: When told that Earl didn't make time for the mile run set for running backs Bum said "Hell if its third and a mile we won't give it to him."

ah the old best RB argument

Rice: Most receptions, most yards, most TDs, MVPs, Superbowls

Emmitt: Most carries, most yards, most TDs, MVPs, Superbowls

:thumbsup: scoreboard :pointstosky:

Can Walter say that? nope.

Barry? nope.

Jim Brown? not even close(that focken era had all the talent on offense while rejects were put on D. Owners wanted more points on the board and

refused to spend money on D because people didn't come to watch the D.)

Brown simply stood apart because most teams were RBBC and the Browns weren't.

Hell look at 1964 where Brown had about 1800total yards and 9tds at 5.2YPC

Lenny Moore: 1100 total yards 19tds

Colts other 4rbs: 5ypc 1700total yards 14tds

jim Taylor: 1500 total yards 5ypc 15tds

bill brown 1600 total yards 3.8 ypc 16tds

Chiefs top two RBs: 2000total yards 5.2ypc 13tds

Jim Brown 1200yds 5.8ypc 9tds WOW 5.9ypc he must be the best ever

John Crow 1071yds 5.9ypc 6tds 463rec 18.3yards per catch

Nick Pietrosante: 872yds 5.4ypc 8tds

Paul Lowe: 855yds 6.3ypc 8tds

anyways

Even the wideouts of that era had inflated yards per catch.

After reading this post I was so compelled to take a dump on it that I could barely control myself. Posts like this are the reason my job started blocking fantasy sites. I knew after reading this that something had to be done, so I printed out a copy of it and took it to the restroom and shat on it. Now, I feel bad for janitor bob who will have to clean up the floor but the UNIVERSE DEMANDED JUSTICE for this post and so I meted it out. Unfortunately for janitor Bob, the universe had chosen him to pay, but Bob wasn't the only one paying. I ate buffalo wings for lunch yesterday so I paid too. Paid dearly. So dearly that I am now responding to this assininery(totally a word) while sitting on a hemorrhoid pillow. But justice is done and maybe Bob will understand if he decides to read the poop covered paper sitting in the center of the restroom.

Emmitt Smith ran behind arguably the best O-Line in the history of the NFL. Barry ran behind a bunch of scrubs. Despite this, Emmitt only managed to average 4.2ypc, I say only because my focking grandma on rollerskates could have farted her way 4.2 ypc behind that line, while Barry got 5.0 ypc. Now as a testament to that line in dallas, you can look at the statistics of the 2nd string backs running there. In 1990 Agee on 53 carries had a better ypc than Smith. IN 92 Corvin Richards was close. In 95 and 96 Sherman focking Williams put up close numbers on his carries and in 1998-2001 chris focking warrend put up similar numbers on his carries. Then in 2002 and beyond troy stinking hambrick did the same including the 2001 season when hambrick got 5.1ypc on 113 carries to Smith's 3.9 on 261. I like Smith because he was a class act and the NFL needs more players like that, but to compare him to Sanders is a focking joke. IN all the years Barry was in Detroit, there were maybe two times that someone with more thatn 25 carries was close to his ypc. You know why? cause his team stunk. Smith is a superstar of circumstance. You freaking dallas homers should never open your stinkin pie holes again unless it's to give credit where credit is due. To your focking o-line.

PS Troy Aikman stinks

PPS I agree Jim Brown is overrated

Payton. THAT is what a running back looks like, boys and girls.

My all-time favorite will always be Earl Campbell, but he just didn't last long enough. For about three years, though, he was better than anyone ever.

After reading this post I was so compelled to take a dump on it that I could barely control myself. Posts like this are the reason my job started blocking fantasy sites. I knew after reading this that something had to be done, so I printed out a copy of it and took it to the restroom and shat on it. Now, I feel bad for janitor bob who will have to clean up the floor but the UNIVERSE DEMANDED JUSTICE for this post and so I meted it out. Unfortunately for janitor Bob, the universe had chosen him to pay, but Bob wasn't the only one paying. I ate buffalo wings for lunch yesterday so I paid too. Paid dearly. So dearly that I am now responding to this assininery(totally a word) while sitting on a hemorrhoid pillow. But justice is done and maybe Bob will understand if he decides to read the poop covered paper sitting in the center of the restroom.

Emmitt Smith ran behind arguably the best O-Line in the history of the NFL. Barry ran behind a bunch of scrubs. Despite this, Emmitt only managed to average 4.2ypc, I say only because my focking grandma on rollerskates could have farted her way 4.2 ypc behind that line, while Barry got 5.0 ypc. Now as a testament to that line in dallas, you can look at the statistics of the 2nd string backs running there. In 1990 Agee on 53 carries had a better ypc than Smith. IN 92 Corvin Richards was close. In 95 and 96 Sherman focking Williams put up close numbers on his carries and in 1998-2001 chris focking warrend put up similar numbers on his carries. Then in 2002 and beyond troy stinking hambrick did the same including the 2001 season when hambrick got 5.1ypc on 113 carries to Smith's 3.9 on 261. I like Smith because he was a class act and the NFL needs more players like that, but to compare him to Sanders is a focking joke. IN all the years Barry was in Detroit, there were maybe two times that someone with more thatn 25 carries was close to his ypc. You know why? cause his team stunk. Smith is a superstar of circumstance. You freaking dallas homers should never open your stinkin pie holes again unless it's to give credit where credit is due. To your focking o-line.

PS Troy Aikman stinks

PPS I agree Jim Brown is overrated

:dunno: :wall: For that post...

People who say Emmitt is a better pure RB than Sanders are either a.) Cowboys fans b.) blinded by fantasy football. You can make a point for Brown, Payton, or Sanders as you are talking different eras... No one else belongs in this conversation.

Not the greatest quality, but this is why it's Walter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ni7YXUpFyM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq-cGhC8hp8

The 3:00 part of the 2nd video is just classic Walter.

Awesome, Awesome videos! :headbanger:

Walter was the best ever. Period. You can't appreciate how he finished a run until you saw it in person. Barry, was a phenomenal talent but he probably cost the Lions too many games every year. Stop, stutter tackle for 5 yard loss really puts a team in a huge hole. I would put him behind Walter, Jim Brown, and Emmitt. Plus, I think Walter played on more weaker teams than Barry, but he elevated his team rather than weakened them. Now, how about a minute of silence for Walter who passed away at far too young of an age.

:(

.it's HOW he left the game and the way he handled it. (not very professionally)

Professionally? We're talking about the freaking Lions, the Ford owned Lions who hired Millen, Mariucci, Morningweigh, and Ross. The same Lions who drafted Stocker McDougal, Harrington, Rogers, and Mike Williams in the first round and let go of Lomas Brown and Glover. The Lions who haven't had a decent QB since Bobby Layne.

The Lions who totally lucked out on getting Barry, just think if the Packers drafted Barry instead of Mandrich.

That's one professional team - and yes I'm from Detroit

I got it, pro bowl > superbowl

season mvp > superbowl mvp + superbowl titles + postseason rushing records + superbowl rushing records

Pro Bowl is personal achievement. It's also being selected by your peers.

Besides, Payton played on possibly the 2nd best single season teams of all-time, the 1985 Bears.

screw barry.

one lions fan who hasn't forgotten,

jdon

oh yeah and emmits yards per carry was poop, especially for that line... he isn't even a top five runner...

Nope. Not the greatest running back of all time, sorry. A great runner, electric, but a great running back

-can read blocks

-will battle for the tough yards

-will go to the hole a play was designed

-doesn't lose yards continiously

Sanders was a tecmo bowl player, brilliant, amazing, tremendous runner, but his style while deadly was also incapable of allowing teams to consistently be good.

Walter Payton never played behind a pro bowl lineman until his career was at the end in 1985...NEVER...Sanders played behind TWO PRO BOWL linemen, Kevin Glover and Lomas Brown. The idea his line was terrible is myth. Sanders made it look terrible because he'd pass up a 3 yard gain to lose 7 yards. Then you had the passing game. Id say Herman Moore and Brett Perriman were excellent receivers which did at least keep defenses honest. Who were the receivers Walter Payton had taking the pressure off him? Brian Bashnagel????

Being a great running back isn't just carrying a 60 yard TD in a 35-21 game, but picking up a tough 3rd and 1 play or pushing in a much needed TD from a yard out, or throwing a key block that allows your QB to complete the game winning pass, or making a great one handed catch in the flat...Sanders was maybe the greatest RUNNER, but has NOTHING when it comes to greatest running back...

Anyone genuinely seeking the truth with the requisite knowledge will mention one of two men....ONE OF TWO....

Jim Brown and Walter Payton are the two greatest running backs that ever lived, EVER and there is no one even close. There are varying opinions on which of the two are the best, but these are your two best, live it and learn it.