Sign in to follow this  
HawkLatino

Very Impressed with FWP Tonight

I guess when I see Barry Bonds beg out of an at bat "for the good of the team" with the winning run on third base because a tough lefty closer is on the mound I will buy into what you are saying. Willie Parker at 80% needs to believe he is better than Veron Haynes at 100%. If not then let him know that Tim Horton's is hiring.

I hope this isn't a trend. Should I be afraid that Larry Johnson will lose goal line carries because he is tired? How pathetic is that? He would cross the goal line with an I.V. in one arm and the ball in the other.

Fact of the matter is that it was probably a coaching decision to yank Willie for whatever reason. Willie did not put up a fight and came out because he is a team player. But you will never convince me that Willie asked to come out. If he did ask come out then he is nowhere near an elite back in the NFL. You don't have to be an arrogant canker to want the ball when the game is on the line.

I guess when I see Barry Bonds beg out of an at bat "for the good of the team" with the winning run on third base because a tough lefty closer is on the mound I will buy into what you are saying. Willie Parker at 80% needs to believe he is better than Veron Haynes at 100%. If not then let him know that Tim Horton's is hiring.

I hope this isn't a trend. Should I be afraid that Larry Johnson will lose goal line carries because he is tired? How pathetic is that? He would cross the goal line with an I.V. in one arm and the ball in the other.

Fact of the matter is that it was probably a coaching decision to yank Willie for whatever reason. Willie did not put up a fight and came out because he is a team player. But you will never convince me that Willie asked to come out. If he did ask come out then he is nowhere near an elite back in the NFL. You don't have to be an arrogant canker to want the ball when the game is on the line.

Right. Great analogy. Because sleeping through a baseball game is akin to running the ball 24 previous times and getting pounded on by 300 pound men. :doublethumbsup:

Blue Martini said it best...... There is no evidence that FWP will be the man at the goal line. He never has been and up until 2:30 PM EST today he still isn't. You FWP owners can hope and wish all you want. Common sense tells me that until he gets at least 1 carry at the goal he is not the man.

Blue Martini said it best...... There is no evidence that FWP will be the man at the goal line. He never has been and up until 2:30 PM EST today he still isn't. You FWP owners can hope and wish all you want. Common sense tells me that until he gets at least 1 carry at the goal he is not the man.

Um. Bunk. There's evidence. You choose to ignore it. There was exactly one - by your defintion - goal line play. Based on that one play - in a vacuum, no less - you've determined that there is "no evidence" for him being the goal line back. You ignore:

1) the 4th and 1 - similar situation, similar backs used in those situations. This is fact, and you know it.

2) the 2nd and 4 from the 7 - You don't like it, cause it doesn't fit your argument, but the fact of the matter is, he was down there.

3) the coaching staff indicated that he would used at the goal line, and there has been nothing to suggest that that will NOT be the trend

4) He carried 29 times, so it's obvious that the coaching staff believes he is able to take something of a pounding.

So, yeah, there's no evidence. Whatever. :doh:

Right. Great analogy. Because sleeping through a baseball game is akin to running the ball 24 previous times and getting pounded on by 300 pound men. :lol:

Funny response to be sure more in regard to baseball, I was laughing out loud, but hardball is right....you have to WANT the ball with the game on the line at this level...you play, to win, the game (Herm?)....not play to get close and hope somebody picks you up when you are tired. FWP has to think I AM THE MAN and V Haynes is NOT taking this TD. And by last night's game a gassed FWP would seem to be more effective than a floundering VHaynes. You can call it selfish, or whatever you want, but at the NFL level mindset is critical - look at Joey Harrignton and Charles Rogers (Detroit Homer here unfortunately) top 3 draft picks with 2 cent heads - different heads, but soft and weak heads nonetheless.

Um. Bunk. There's evidence. You choose to ignore it. There was exactly one - by your defintion - goal line play. Based on that one play - in a vacuum, no less - you've determined that there is "no evidence" for him being the goal line back. You ignore:

1) the 4th and 1 - similar situation, similar backs used in those situations. This is fact, and you know it.

2) the 2nd and 4 from the 7 - You don't like it, cause it doesn't fit your argument, but the fact of the matter is, he was down there.

3) the coaching staff indicated that he would used at the goal line, and there has been nothing to suggest that that will NOT be the trend

4) He carried 29 times, so it's obvious that the coaching staff believes he is able to take something of a pounding.

So, yeah, there's no evidence. Whatever. :doh:

The 4th and 1 was promising, but it was a misdirection pitch-out play which is going to be a very difficult/risky and doubtful to be used play at the goalline which is a very compressed portion of the field...50 yard line is a different animal....apples and oranges relating to that play.

The 7 yard line is not at the goal line, he had some of those last year only to have the Bus from "about" that distance on in to the goalline (I cannot use a number or I'll get lambasted). The 7 is only 2/3 of the way through the red zone...the easiest 2/3...

#3 is true, but we have not seen it, thus, it is not evidence, simply an indication

#4 yep a bunch of carries - none from the 3 yard line in - again irrelevant about goal line carries

Face it, nobody here knows if he will, I hope he gets those carries, but ver disconcerning that Verron Haynes was lined up at the 1....I'm just saying.....

When I was 3 years old I put my hand in a pot of boiling water to see if it would burn despite all evidence that it probably would. But I had no proof so I stuck it in anyway. The air above felt hot. The water LOOKED hot. My mom TOLD me it would burn. The pasta in the water looked like it was melting, but I really didn't know now did I? Such is the level of your debate.

I am no longer 3 years old.

Evidence?

Exhibit A: 29 carries for Parker. None of which qualify as goal line carries no matter how much we want to compare them to goal line carries.

Exhibit B: There was 1 goal line situation in the game. Where was Parker? Oh, that is rigth, Parker was :bench:

The prosecution rests.

Your witness, if he is not too tired to testify.

I love all these haters. The guy gets 29 carries and they say he's not "the man" b/c he was pulled for one play at the 1 yard line when he was WINDED. Give me a freaking break.

Lets see how many other backs get 29 carries this week.

Here is the bottom line on FWP....

Week 15: CAR

Week 16: BAL

Sorry to burst everyone's bubbles, but that just sucks, no matter how good you are, you wont get the best outta him when it counts....

:banana:

Maybe Pittsburgh should have more carries inside the 5 yard line so they can rest Willie more often. That should keep him fresh. :banana:

I find it odd that he had so many carries on so many parts of the field that the one time they decided to rest him was coincidently at the 1 yard line with the exception of when Haynes came in on 3rd down. He had other spots in the game where he had carried more of a load and did not come out. Was this or was it not the only 1st down play that he was not lined up on? I don't know but that gives me reason to believe he is the guy at the goal. My 5 year old also believes in the tooth fairy because someone told him to. My 8 year old is not buying into the tooth fairy thing. She needs to see it first. So I guess my 5 year old would be on your side that Willie is the man because the coaches said he was while my 8 year old would have to say, "show me". So congratulations, your reasoning falls somewhere between a 5 year old and an 8 year old.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubbles, but that just sucks, no matter how good you are, you wont get the best outta him when it counts....

:(

Stupid post.. :D ..because the FF cheatsheets said so.

Post this in week 15, when we know who the big Ds are, not preseason. :banana:

Maybe Pittsburgh should have more carries inside the 5 yard line so they can rest Willie more often. That should keep him fresh. :banana:

I find it odd that he had so many carries on so many parts of the field that the one time they decided to rest him was coincidently at the 1 yard line with the exception of when Haynes came in on 3rd down. He had other spots in the game where he had carried more of a load and did not come out. Was this or was it not the only 1st down play that he was not lined up on? I don't know but that gives me reason to believe he is the guy at the goal. My 5 year old also believes in the tooth fairy because someone told him to. My 8 year old is not buying into the tooth fairy thing. She needs to see it first. So I guess my 5 year old would be on your side that Willie is the man because the coaches said he was while my 8 year old would have to say, "show me". So congratulations, your reasoning falls somewhere between a 5 year old and an 8 year old.

Just curious why you care about this so much? You've only made 30 posts, most of them in this thread bashing Willie. Did he do something to you personally? Who fcking cares man, it's fantasy football. I'll take 125 yards of offense every week from him. And it will be a bonus when he scores (which he will plenty).

Nothing personal. I actually own him in my league. I hope he gets the carries at the goal line. I am just not letting my hopes cloud the reality of the situation. I guess it got a little personal when people disregard what has actually happened on the field and say that I have no common sense because anyone could clearly see that FWP scored a multitude of goal line carries last night even though they were no where near the goal line. The reality of it is that 130 yards and no TD is not very productive in my TD heavy league. I hope he scores 20 TDs but I think that the bulk of them will come from outside the 5 yrd line.

:dunno:

This may be the best point yet.

In other news, Dominic Rhodes scored 4 TDs in 2005, from 6yds, 1yd, 4yds, & 4yds. From this we can deduce that:

A. Dominic Rhodes must be a goal line back, or...

B. Edgerrin James is a focking poosay who doesn't have enough desire

:dunno:

I love all these haters. The guy gets 29 carries and they say he's not "the man" b/c he was pulled for one play at the 1 yard line when he was WINDED. Give me a freaking break.

Lets see how many other backs get 29 carries this week.

But you get six points for THAT one yard...that is the yard you want more than any other! That, my friend, is the difference. 29 carries gets one point in my league....big deal.

When I was 3 years old I put my hand in a pot of boiling water to see if it would burn despite all evidence that it probably would. But I had no proof so I stuck it in anyway. The air above felt hot. The water LOOKED hot. My mom TOLD me it would burn. The pasta in the water looked like it was melting, but I really didn't know now did I? Such is the level of your debate.

I am no longer 3 years old.

#1 - Always trust your mom - cannot trust footballspeak coaches.

#2 - The pasta actually is the proof, as is the tremendously hot steam from the boiling water.

This is insane....

FWP had 29 carries, he had a 4th down pitchout at the 50, so clearly he is the MAN at the goalline, despite never having actually had a carry inside the 3 yard line. Perfect.

If James had NEVER had a goal line carry as is the case with FWP I would support your statement no matter how sarcastic it was.

I guess if Rhodes had taken the ONLY 4 goal line carries in the last year the I would have to say he is the man. When The Bus and whoever else besides FWP has had EVERY goal line carry in the last year I guess I can now clearly see that FWP is the goal line back in Pittsburgh. I don't know why I ever doubted him. I guess the fact that he has never had a goal line carry must have clouded my vision. I am so sorry for not seeing it sooner. (sarcasm at its finest)

Nothing personal. I actually own him in my league. I hope he gets the carries at the goal line. I am just not letting my hopes cloud the reality of the situation. I guess it got a little personal when people disregard what has actually happened on the field and say that I have no common sense because anyone could clearly see that FWP scored a multitude of goal line carries last night even though they were no where near the goal line. The reality of it is that 130 yards and no TD is not very productive in my TD heavy league. I hope he scores 20 TDs but I think that the bulk of them will come from outside the 5 yrd line.

Same here...he got me 6 points, whoopee. Ronnie Brown had 1/4 the yards a 2.5 times the points...and so did the Steeler Defense who I faced. I know, the scoring system is a bit whacked toward TD's, so Parker not getting them suxors.

there is a quote about not arguing with idiots that I wish I had remembered two pages ago.

insightful :pointstosky:

Luckily, I sat Willie in favor of LJ and Frank Gore. I normally would start Willie but Gore vs Arizona looked too inviting.

I don't mean to be a sarcastic ass on here but is just too much fun. I was just trying be realistic at first.

There was only 1 goal line opportunity last night, which occurred after 2 tough rushes by WP. It's amazing how anyone can predict whether or not he's going to be a goaline back based off of one opportunity, but the WP haters seem to be going a little overboard here. I'm gonna go ahead and guess Blue Martini and Hardball are a bunch of liberal arts majors and have no appreciation of statistics if they're gonna base all their judgement off of one incident.

BTW, Duce is in the dog house, Haynes is the third down back and has never proven to be a reliable goaline back, but according the WP haters, he's the second coming of Bettis. Also, goaline opportunities last year don't really count against WP, considering Bettis was there.

The truth always lies somewhere in between. WP is not gonna get all the goaline carries, depending on the circumstances, but he's definitely gonna get a lot more oppportunities this year than last year. That alone will probably make him a top 10 back this year.

I guess someone on this forum will try to say that signing Davenport actually helps Parker and shows that the coaches have all the confidence in the world in him.

Najeh Davenport-RB- Steelers Sep. 8 - 4:00 pm et

Steelers signed RB Najeh Davenport.

The team cut Patrick Cobbs to make room. Davenport's presence immediatley makes Duce Staley expendable or useless. If Dookie can stay healthy, he could cut into Willie Parker's touches near the goal line. He's worth a roster spot in most fantasy leagues.

Davenport isn't exactly a goal line back either. :first:

He is there now for depth, and depth alone. Should Willie go down, they have no one else. No one else that the coaches like anyways.

This just in from cracksmoker.com

The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed RB Najeh Davenport. In a press conference today the Steeler coaching staff made it clear that Davenport was only signed to be the lead blocker for Willie Parker in all goal line situations. In addition he will be add depth in the event that Willie Parker is injured. In which case Davenport will carry Willie Parker across the goal line with the ball making Willie Parker the undisputed goal line back in the Pittsburgh offense.

In other news Pittsburgh brass have discussed trading Willie Parker mid game to the other team so he can get the opponents goal line carries too. This truly looks to be Willie Parker's year. Bump him up on your draft sheets. :first:

I guess it got a little personal when people disregard what has actually happened on the field

you're the one completely diregarding the fact that he did get up from the tackle, pat his helmet, raise his hand (to go out), then run off the field. He absolutely did this, no doubt. Maybe you didn't see it, but I did and thought to myself, he not patting himself out after those runs is he, and sure enough, he was.

Because he did that, and there were no goalline carries for anyone last night, there is no proof one way or another.

This getting comical. Willie Parker has NEVER taken goal line carries. Why should anyone have to argue that he isn't a goal line back. When he gets a goal line carry then maybe you can argue your point. Until then he has never been nor is he now the goal line back in Pittsburgh. What am I disregarding here? There have been dozens of goal line opportunities in FWPs career including one last night and he has yet to take one of them. :bench:

This just in from cracksmoker.com

The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed RB Najeh Davenport. In a press conference today the Steeler coaching staff made it clear that Davenport was only signed to be the lead blocker for Willie Parker in all goal line situations. In addition he will be add depth in the event that Willie Parker is injured. In which case Davenport will carry Willie Parker across the goal line with the ball making Willie Parker the undisputed goal line back in the Pittsburgh offense.

In other news Pittsburgh brass have discussed trading Willie Parker mid game to the other team so he can get the opponents goal line carries too. This truly looks to be Willie Parker's year. Bump him up on your draft sheets. ;)

this was funny.

How do you like that? Someone agrees with me and the thread dies. They must not have like the article from cracksmoker.com

How do you like that? Someone agrees with me and the thread dies. They must not have like the article from cracksmoker.com

The Davenport deal was kind of the nail in the coffin for our argument i would think. We won't "know" what his use will be, but whether Parker was taken out or came out it was not good....this definitely does not make it look better at all. Najeh weighs 247 and Cowher loves te big bruiser backs at the stripe and has for years.

The Davenport deal was kind of the nail in the coffin for our argument i would think. We won't "know" what his use will be, but whether Parker was taken out or came out it was not good....this definitely does not make it look better at all. Najeh weighs 247 and Cowher loves te big bruiser backs at the stripe and has for years.

You guys are idiots. Davenport is a piece of garbage. He was only added because the team has ZERO depth. The same way the Rams picked up SDavis, the same way the 'Skins picked up TJ Duckett, the same way Miami picked up Lee Suggs. Are any of these guys going to take over goal line carries, or take over any sort of chunk of carries from the #1 guy?? NOOOOOOO!!! If anyone, Duckett has proven himself and he may. But guys like Davenport are a piece of crap and he is only there so that FWP does not have to carry the ball 29 times every week! Goal liine back... Whatever! And no, I don't have FWP in my lineup. I'm just having a bad day and some of these posts irritate me! :pointstosky:

This getting comical. Willie Parker has NEVER taken goal line carries. Why should anyone have to argue that he isn't a goal line back. When he gets a goal line carry then maybe you can argue your point. Until then he has never been nor is he now the goal line back in Pittsburgh. What am I disregarding here? There have been dozens of goal line opportunities in FWPs career including one last night and he has yet to take one of them. :banana:

Goal line carries

Last year: Hear of a guy named Jerome Bettis?

This year: One play at the goal line is not a trend.

Davenport: Out of shape, injury prone, cut by one of the worst teams in the NFC.

Let's wait til next week and see where the chips fall.

One play at the goal line is not a trend. I agree completely. But I ask you where is the trend that Parker is the goal line back? There is none which tells me that the one goal line play is a continuation of last year when Parker was not the goal line back.

According to Rotoworld:

Steelers head coach Bill Cowher is now hoping one of his running backs will fill the short-yardage role vacated by retired Jerome Bettis.

"Somebody will hopefully come in and fill that role," Cowher said. It sounds like he's not satisfied with Willie Parker taking the goal-line touches. Najeh Davenport, who reportedly could be active for Monday night's affair, is a candidate to take Bettis' old duties.

But Blue Martini and I are idiots. I wish I was in a leauge with half of these so called "geeks" who can only depend on what magazines and web sites tell you. You wouldn't know a goal line back if he ran you over. Face it Willie Parker is not a goal line back. And anyone who compares the 3rd and 1 sweep play at the 50 yard line to a goal line carry if a fool. I hope some of you win some money in your leagues because you need to buy a clue. I hear they are expensive.

One play at the goal line is not a trend. I agree completely. But I ask you where is the trend that Parker is the goal line back? There is none which tells me that the one goal line play is a continuation of last year when Parker was not the goal line back.

According to Rotoworld:

Steelers head coach Bill Cowher is now hoping one of his running backs will fill the short-yardage role vacated by retired Jerome Bettis.

"Somebody will hopefully come in and fill that role," Cowher said. It sounds like he's not satisfied with Willie Parker taking the goal-line touches. Najeh Davenport, who reportedly could be active for Monday night's affair, is a candidate to take Bettis' old duties.

But Blue Martini and I are idiots. I wish I was in a leauge with half of these so called "geeks" who can only depend on what magazines and web sites tell you. You wouldn't know a goal line back if he ran you over. Face it Willie Parker is not a goal line back. And anyone who compares the 3rd and 1 sweep play at the 50 yard line to a goal line carry if a fool. I hope some of you win some money in your leagues because you need to buy a clue. I hear they are expensive.

Wow. Already tooting your horn? I said let's wait until next week and see where the chips fall.

If you get a huge hardon from quoting rotoworld to me as if it's gospel, it is you who needs that very expensive clue.

We'll see if

1. Davenport gets the goal line role

2. He is successful

3. He can stay healthy

4. He doesn't crap his pants with excitement to just to be on an NFL roster.

Peace out.

Only read the 2nd page of this thread but, I have not seen a single plausible argument to suggest that FWP will get goal line carries. A 3rd and 1 or even a 4th and 1 at the 50 is nothing like a goal line carry. If you don't understand that, you don't know football at all. If anyone needs to know why, I would be happy to help. Hint, it's yards to the end zone and how much field you have to defend.

I'm on vacation, so you're likely to only get this one point, and then you can bash away.

You make it sound as though Parker supporters are ludicrous for suggesting that he could actually take goal line carries. Um. It's no more ludicrous than suggesting he has no reasonable credibility for that role.

Davenport? We'll wait and see. As a Steeler fan, I really wouldn't mind him spelling Parker as a different style of back. But I was never remotely concerned about Verron Haynes taking over that role.

Now read carefully, and try to pay attention to something other than your own self-adulation and witticisms - very cute, by the way. Willie Parker took goal line carries in training camp. I know, I know, it's training camp. But the coaches are serious about seeing. Would have loved to see it in pre-season, too, but that wasn't going to happen on 5-6 carries per game. You? You've made up your mind. Based on what? Let's see . . .

Verron Haynes: Didn't take goal line carries in 2005.

Duce Staley: Didn't take goal line carries in 2005 (in fact, was rarely on the roster)

Najeh Davenport: This one will be interesting. We'll wait and see. If he's in shape, I'm looking forward to see if he can run with any power.

The first two got zero commendation from the coaching staff - who incidentally is praying that Verron remembers how to hang on to the ball - and the third is still a wait-and-see. I cannot believe that you honestly promoting as your latest argument against Parker a back who is clearly depth only, and likely 4th on the depth chart. When he actually dresses, then we'll see.

Frankly, ravenmad has played this as sanely as anyone in the thread. Maybe, given only one incident off of which to make any assertion, waiting until week 2 shows us something would be best. Certainly against the Jaguars defense we should get a better idea of what is in store for a back who is at least a little underrated right now. :first:

Thanks for your points, hardall, Blue Martini. Sorry you had to resort to sarcasm, hardball. You're much more engaging when you stick to points, even if you don't acknowledge the other. But BM did, so I guess I'll let that pass.

We're best to agree to disagree until further review. If Willie is zeroed out at the goal line, I'll be the first to admit it. But not on one opportunity. Sorry.

Considering Davenport has seven TD's in the past four years, it's obvious he's going to step right in and be the goalline back.

Dan, I see your point and I do agree to disagree. I am not debating that Pittsburgh has tinkered with the idea of using Willie on the goal line. I believe this has mainly been by default due to no better options being available. In my opinion the coaching staff is not comfortable with Willie handling the goal line carries. This would explain the Davenport move. Much of my argument has been as devil's advocate due to all of the folks making it a foregone conclusion that FWP will be getting all goal line work before he had even seen one carry. Not only did he not see a goal line carry but he watched one from the sidelines (let's not rehash whether he wanted out or not). You have to ask yourself, which is more naive, me not believing Parker is the man or those who are sold on the fact that he is?

BUMP!! BUMP!! Blue Martini and Hardball, I started this thread and I'm not going to bash either of you, but can you please admit you that you guys were wrong with FWP and the goal line situation? FWP has gotten all of the goal line work today!!

I'll be the first to admit if I am wrong, but in this case I was correct and I think you guys need to fess up!!