Sign in to follow this  
supermike80

How hard do you ACTUALLY work?

Just took a new job about 4 months ago. Previous one was high paced and very stressful but I always felt I was earning my pay.

New job has 1/4 of the stress and at times, 1/4 of the work. I make about 20% more as well.

Do you ever feel you are overpaid for how hard you do/dont work?

Guest Black Label Society
Just took a new job about 4 months ago. Previous one was high paced and very stressful but I always felt I was earning my pay.

New job has 1/4 of the stress and at times, 1/4 of the work. I make about 20% more as well.

Do you ever feel you are overpaid for how hard you do/dont work?

no. Somedays I don't work very hard at all, I'll be honest.

Other days I run and run and run, and in the end, I KNOW I don't get paid enough, which is probably the reason I don't feel bad for dikkin around.

no. Somedays I don't work very hard at all, I'll be honest.

Other days I run and run and run, and in the end, I KNOW I don't get paid enough, which is probably the reason I don't feel bad for dikkin around.

I would work 18 hour days if asked and never complain one bit. I guess I feel a little guilty that I don't have to.

Define "work".

I do not have a lot of physical labor with my job but I do drive about 2200 miles/week.

I am away from home on average of 3 nights per week. I work my azz off to take care of my customers but most of that is negotiating with manufacturing and customer service to ensure a timely delivery.

I am usually stuck in the middle of getting ripped by customers and manufacturing because 1) the delivery time is too long for the customer and 2) manufacturing needs longer time than the customer wants.

Many days I don't get home or to my hotel until after 8:00 p.m. The money is o.k. but it could be a lot better. I am due for a big raise at the end of the year and if everything goes well next week I might be up for a promotion.

I wouldn't trade my job for most other jobs but I would like to see more money.

I have a 3 different "seasons" for work.

Jan-Jun I work a ton -- In fact I added it up that I worked 22 days on top of my normal M-F during those months this year.

July-Oct is extremely slack -- there's a few projects here and there, but I'm mostly just in the office in case something comes up.

Nov, Dec its starts to pick up again for when we hit head on in Jan. It's very steady with enough work to keep me occupied but never to the point of keeping me there on the weekend or anything.

Guest Black Label Society
I have a 3 different "seasons" for work.

Jan-Jun I work a ton -- In fact I added it up that I worked 22 days on top of my normal M-F during those months this year.

July-Oct is extremely slack -- there's a few projects here and there, but I'm mostly just in the office in case something comes up.

Nov, Dec its starts to pick up again for when we hit head on in Jan. It's very steady with enough work to keep me occupied but never to the point of keeping me there on the weekend or anything.

IRS? Or Tax Accountant?

:P

Actually my daddy was a foreman in a shoe factory in PA who died in '85 from colon cancer when I was a senior in HS, but otherwise that was an excellent guess. :thumbsup:

I worked very hard to be in the position where I don't have to work very hard. :P

Me too, but sometimes I feel guilty about that. B)

Well, I'm at work for 8 hours and I usually "work" for about a solid three hours.....halfass work for one and half.

The rest of the time is talking with the tool room guy about music, sports, women, hell about everything!!

As "hard" as I work however, when I'm not talking to the tool room guy I actually run my machine...he on the other hand has read books about Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon....currently reading about Sting and he does the retarded Soduko things all while being paid pretty well. I would say for a 40 hour week he prolly does tool room work about 4 hours...tops. That's why I know that he is smarter than me....why can't I land a job like that!!

Depends what day you ask me, but if there's a lot of work to be done I work my a55 off. If there's not, I post in threads about how hard I normally work. :banana:

not too hard so far, i started this new job about a month ago. i was all primed up to do a great job and ready to work etc. however, i have noticed that after getting in at 7:45 each morning, i was alone until 8:15 at the earliest. people get in between 8-8:45, and i have slacked to getting in about 8:20-8:30ish, and apparently no one cares, which is nice. i do stay late sometime, till 5:30-6:00 occasionally, so i suppose it works itself out. however, i have been left mostly to myself, and with no deadlines, just the occasional "try and finish X this week." in reality X takes me one day of work. so the rest of my time has been spent surfing, but there is a filter that keeps me out of a lot of stuff. FF sites, MFL etc. i can't get into, or any yahoo game type stuff, which is a shame. however, i took my ipod all last week and listened to an unabridged Tom Clancy book. that worked out well. it will pick up and different projects happen, and i will have to travel a fair amount in the future i think, but never on weekends.

being young, i am torn, i {at least not yet} am getting very little satisfaction from my job outside of a paycheck and an easy job. i have no illusions that i am making the world a better place directly. i don't love to come into work. but i am getting paid very well for this stage of the game. and its easy. is that the best i can hope for? or should i quit and become an NFL scout and get paid nothing and travel all the time just to hope one day move up the ranks there. i dunno.

some (most) days i dont even do any work....i hate this job...i am in the final running for a job with an NFL team!!! woot!

You would be shocked if you monitored how much "work" I actually do anymore. Probably not nearly as shocked as my boss though.

First of all. I pretty much work from home. Occasionally, I will visit a client site or go to a meeting with the rest of the team, or go into an office to talk with other biz partners in the area. The rest of the time, I'm on the phone with clients listening to their complaints, or on the phone with various other people attempting to resolve said somplaints. I no longer have any people reporting directly to me. I have responsibility for managing 50 some out sourced Service Provider companies and all their sub-contractors. I basically do that from afar, thus ensuring there is very little day-to-day involvement.

I figure I probably work an average of 10-15 hours per week when all is said and done. For that, the company pays me $80K per year plus annual bonuses and restricted stock grants.

Here's a rundown of what I've done today thus far.

Awoke at 8:30

Banged wife at 8:32

Wiped excess goo from peemus at 8:41

Got dressed, ate breakfast with wife, checked fantasy teams performance, read the news, made a 2 pm lunch date with wife, told her to have a nice day at the office and went upstairs to my home office.

By that time I guess it was about 9:30.

I sat down at the desk, started going through the Blackberry, decided I couldn't stomach it just yet, and put it down in favor of looking at more FF news.

By 11:00, I'd spoken to 3 different people for a total of about 20 minutes. I'd read a couple of emails, decided not to respond to them, or take action in any measurable way, then jumped in the shower.

After the shower, I checked the Blackberry again for any urgent messages or missed calls. Seeing that there were none, I decided to check in at FF Today. I read a few posts, then decided to respond to this one.

I'll probably leave here at about 12:30 or 1:00, fully intending to go conduct some sort of business before I meet the wife for lunch at 2:00. Of course, I already know in the back of my mind that I'll lollygag around here until I've run outta time for any site visits before the lunch date.

I'll have lunch with the wife, and then probably go into a local office and plug in the laptop. I'll respond only to messages that are urgent. Absent those, I'll shoot off an email or two to the boss in an attempt to make it look like I'm out and about, making things happen. Said emails will be observations of a philosophical or global business nature. Nothing too specific, and nothing that would require any real follow up on my part. Just enough to make him think that I'm THINKING.

By that time, it should be about 4 pm, and I'll do an expense report and then head home and mow the lawn.

This is how most of my days go. Sounds great right? WRONG. IT FOCKING SUCKS.

This is the third position I've had at this company in three and a half years. They've re-structured my division 3 times, and I've somehow ended up with a promotion all three times. As it stands now, I'm in a dead end job unless I want to move to Georgia, or move to the next level which would require constant travel. I'm not doing either one of those.

Besides that. The whole division is probably temporary anyway. They WILL restructure again, and I could be out of a job. Maybe tomorrow, maybe in a year. Either way, I'm not gonna bust my ass for something that's probably not gonna last.

I've taken advantage of the down time to completely remodel the interior of our home, build a new deck, put down a new driveway, and play a lot more golf in the last year. I'm also actively looking for properties and getting back into real estate investing/remodeling as a side gig. I'm aiming at that turning into a steady source of income. If that happens, maybe I can tell these corporate rats to fock off before they tell me.

You would be shocked if you monitored how much "work" I actually do anymore. Probably not nearly as shocked as my boss though.

First of all. I pretty much work from home. Occasionally, I will visit a client site or go to a meeting with the rest of the team, or go into an office to talk with other biz partners in the area. The rest of the time, I'm on the phone with clients listening to their complaints, or on the phone with various other people attempting to resolve said somplaints. I no longer have any people reporting directly to me. I have responsibility for managing 50 some out sourced Service Provider companies and all their sub-contractors. I basically do that from afar, thus ensuring there is very little day-to-day involvement.

I figure I probably work an average of 10-15 hours per week when all is said and done. For that, the company pays me $80K per year plus annual bonuses and restricted stock grants.

Here's a rundown of what I've done today thus far.

Awoke at 8:30

Got dressed, ate breakfast with wife, checked fantasy teams performance, read the news, made a 2 pm lunch date with wife, told her to have a nice day at the office and went upstairs to my home office.

By that time I guess it was about 9:30.

I sat down at the desk, started going through the Blackberry, decided I couldn't stomach it just yet, and put it down in favor of looking at more FF news.

By 11:00, I'd spoken to 3 different people for a total of about 20 minutes. I'd read a couple of emails, decided not to respond to them, or take action in any measurable way, then jumped in the shower.

After the shower, I checked the Blackberry again for any urgent messages or missed calls. Seeing that there were none, I decided to check in at FF Today. I read a few posts, then decided to respond to this one.

I'll probably leave here at about 12:30 or 1:00, fully intending to go conduct some sort of business before I meet the wife for lunch at 2:00. Of course, I already know in the back of my mind that I'll lollygag around here until I've run outta time for any site visits before the lunch date.

I'll have lunch with the wife, and then probably go into a local office and plug in the laptop. I'll respond only to messages that are urgent. Absent those, I'll shoot off an email or two to the boss in an attempt to make it look like I'm out and about, making things happen. Said emails will be observations of a philosophical or global business nature. Nothing too specific, and nothing that would require any real follow up on my part. Just enough to make him think that I'm THINKING.

By that time, it should be about 4 pm, and I'll do an expense report and then head home and mow the lawn.

This is how most of my days go. Sounds great right? WRONG. IT FOCKING SUCKS.

This is the third position I've had at this company in three and a half years. They've re-structured my division 3 times, and I've somehow ended up with a promotion all three times. As it stands now, I'm in a dead end job unless I want to move to Georgia, or move to the next level which would require constant travel. I'm not doing either one of those.

Besides that. The whole division is probably temporary anyway. They WILL restructure again, and I could be out of a job. Maybe tomorrow, maybe in a year. Either way, I'm not gonna bust my ass for something that's probably not gonna last.

I've taken advantage of the down time to completely remodel the interior of our home, build a new deck, put down a new driveway, and play a lot more golf in the last year. I'm also actively looking for properties and getting back into real estate investing/remodeling as a side gig. I'm aiming at that turning into a steady source of income. If that happens, maybe I can tell these corporate rats to fock off before they tell me.

I call BS on this. :doublethumbsup:

There is no way that you lasted 9 minutes in the sack with the Mrs.

So no shower? :wacko:

I call BS on this. :banana:

There is no way that you lasted 9 minutes in the sack with the Mrs.

You're probably right. It might've been more like 7-7.5 minutes. I always give her a minute or two to go drain and clean up before I go into the bathroom and wipe off. I'm sure I laid in bed for at least a minute and a half before I heard her flush.

So no shower? :wacko:

Lawyer - I do way too little for what I make. I'm on the internet 75% of my day and it looks like I'm writing briefs or doing research. If they can't see my screen, they don't know what I'm doing. Just look busy.

I work 70-80 hrs a week for 110K year

3o hrs of that is spent sleeping, 5-10 hrs surfing the net, 7-10 hrs cooking/eating, 10 hrs watching TV

10 hrs of work

gotta love the firehouse :dunno:

I work 70-80 hrs a week for 110K year

3o hrs of that is spent sleeping, 5-10 hrs surfing the net, 7-10 hrs cooking/eating, 10 hrs watching TV

10 hrs of work

gotta love the firehouse :banana:

We have a fireman on the bored, do we? :wub: