Sign in to follow this  
Cdub100

Ticket Master Must be Stopped

Just got my Tiger post season tickets in the mail today. I would like to thank TM for the $16 convenience charge (keep in mind the only way to get tickets was through them how convenient for them) and a $6 facility charge. Which I knew about while buying the tickets.

So there's 40 dollars before I even pay for my 4 tickets. Seems for every $10 on the price of the ticket TM charges a 1 dollar fee

That's not what ticks me off the most. I open my envelope and what's the first thing I see? A coupon to focking netflix.

How do they get away with charging people $40 and charging advertiser a fee to insert thier coupons with the tickets. All they do is stuff a piece of cardboard into an envelope and put a 30 cent stamp on it.

How much money are they making from this? I mean really can we get the government to look into this? Maybe we should file a class action lawsuit.

I would love to take my business else where but unfortunately they are the only business in town

ETA I found a Direct TV ad in one of them along with the netfilx :dunno:

The thing i hate most about this (and it doesn't apply to sporting events) is if you buy concert tickets, and then it gets cancelled (which happens alot) ticketmaster gets to keep their shipping and convenience charge

huge scam :dunno:

How much money are they making from this? I mean really can we get the government to look into this? Maybe we should file a class action lawsuit.

That is a very liberal attitude. :dunno:

The answer is: they are making as much money as they can. Because they presumably paid the Tigers for the right to be the exclusive provider of the tickets. For that they charge as much as the market will bear. Do you have a constitutional right to low entertainment ticket prices? :rolleyes:

I believe it is mafia controlled. I know nothing for a fact, but it seems like a mafia endeavor. But the dude is right, if you don't wanna pay the charge don't get the tickets. It sux.

:dunno:

That is a very liberal attitude. :first:

The answer is: they are making as much money as they can. Because they presumably paid the Tigers for the right to be the exclusive provider of the tickets. For that they charge as much as the market will bear. Do you have a constitutional right to low entertainment ticket prices? :dunno:

You are aware there is a law against monopolies which TM clearly is. If I could go else where I would, but I can't.

That's my point

You are aware there is a law against monopolies which TM clearly is. If I could go else where I would, but I can't.

That's my point

Not against mafia monopolies.

:first:

That's my point

didn't perl jam try and fight them once?

are you sure it wasn't lead zeplinn or linerd skinerd?

I think so but I guess the problem is (taken from another site):

Under Supreme Court precedent, damages for price fixing can be sought only by someone who directly bought something from a seller. Indirect purchasers do not have standing to sue.

A federal judge ruled concert venues are the direct purchasers of Ticketmaster's services. Ticket buyers are indirect purchasers and therefore they cannot sue, the appeals court concluded. A federal appeals court agreed.

I think so but I guess the problem is (taken from another site):

Under Supreme Court precedent, damages for price fixing can be sought only by someone who directly bought something from a seller. Indirect purchasers do not have standing to sue.

A federal judge ruled concert venues are the direct purchasers of Ticketmaster's services. Ticket buyers are indirect purchasers and therefore they cannot sue, the appeals court concluded. A federal appeals court agreed.

Sounds like the mafia paid some judges, or gave them an offer they can't refuse. Someone has a good scam going on.

:pointstosky:

That's my point

They are? Why don't you set up your own ticket distribution company and compete for the Tigers' business. Is there some policy in place which prevents this? Or are they just good at what they do? :thumbsdown:

They are? Why don't you set up your own ticket distribution company and compete for the Tigers' business. Is there some policy in place which prevents this? Or are they just good at what they do? :doublethumbsup:

If it was that easy don't you think someone would of done it by now? Seems to me you're missing that whole monopoly part

I stopped buying tickets of any kind, I will go if given them for free, but I will never pay TM in any way. If enough people get fed up and do the same, together perhaps we can effect change. :banana:

If it was that easy don't you think someone would of done it by now? Seems to me you're missing that whole monopoly part

Ticket Master is in collusion with the clients it serves. They get a huge wad of money and in return, Ticket Master screws the customer. It clearly is a monopoly and I'd love to see the Congress get involved. If steroids in baseball and focking flag burning are worth their time they might as well make themselves useful and go after TM.

I never said it was easy.

You may want to read up on monopolies in wikipedia

There are different forms. Not all are illegal. BTW, who besides Microsoft supplies Windows?

I never said it was easy.

You may want to read up on monopolies in wikipedia

There are different forms. Not all are illegal. BTW, who besides Microsoft supplies Windows?

And has the government looked into them? Yes, that's what I'm asking in my original post someone needs to look into it.

And has the government looked into them? Yes, that's what I'm asking in my original post someone needs to look into it.

Yes, they have.

It's important to remember that the government came to Pearl Jam, not the other way around. But the press covered the story as if the crusade was a personal vendetta by singer Eddie Vedder, especially after the Justice Department dropped its investigation three years later without taking any legal action. Ticketmaster is not a monopoly, it ruled.

This decision still baffles many industry observers, who point to Ticketmaster's exclusivity agreements. The government contended that alternative ticketing agencies are free to do business in competition with Ticketmaster. But how can they do that when Ticketmaster has a lock on nearly every major venue in the United States?

Basically my point, and yours. The answer: come up with a better mousetrap. Sorry. :dunno:

"The bottom line, then as now, is that unless the government acts to limit Ticketmaster's domination of the market and policies such as its online auctions--or until consumers voice their disapproval by withholding their concert dollars--Ticketmaster will continue to act as it always has, charging whatever it sees fit for its services."

:banana:

"The bottom line, then as now, is that unless the government acts to limit Ticketmaster's domination of the market and policies such as its online auctions--or until consumers voice their disapproval by withholding their concert dollars--Ticketmaster will continue to act as it always has, charging whatever it sees fit for its services."

Yep, that was all there, that was why I provided the link. My quote was still accurate though. Feel free to voice your disapproval. :cry:

Guest Davaco
I was always the shoe in Monopoly. :banana:

i was the thimble

I hate Ticketmaster right down to the very core of my soul.

In addition to the ridiculous fees and surcharges which you mention, they illegally sell many of their tickets to high demand events to brokers and the like before they even go on sale. There have been times I have gotten through via the phone or online to a concert like Springsteen or U2 less than a minute after they go on sale, and still ended up in the upper deck.

Before they even go on sale to the public, many of the online ticket brokers are advertising seat numbers and sections. There is no doubt that the ticketmaster employees purchase many of the tickets and give them to these agencies.

Spitzer did a big investigation into their practices here in New York, but it amounted to little.

Oh... and it is a tip that....

http://www.ihateticketmaster.com/forum.php

One of the shining moments of my life was sticking it to TM.

I had tix to a show that was scheduled to start @9PM in NYC. At the time I worked in NYC, but lived in NJ. I was going ot the show w/my roomate, who worked in NJ. The plan was for me to go home as normal, do the eat/shower thing and my roomate and I would head back in to NYC.

Well, when I got home around 6:30PM I had a voice mail from TM that was left around 5PM indicating that the show time had changed. Due to the venue double booking, the show would start at 7PM. Needless to say, by the time my roomate and I got to the show we were just in time to see the last song.

When I called to complain to TM they said tought sh|t. So, I disputed the charge w/AMEX. A week later TM got the sh|t end of the stick for a change. :rolleyes:

I was always the shoe in Monopoly. :thumbsdown:

Got to be the dog...so you can crap on everyone else's property.

Ticketmaster has always been a racket. I can see the 4th-tier bands using them, but I don't understand why guys like Eric Clapton and the Rolling Stones would use them. It seems that bands that big could figure out how to manage their own distribution.

I just paid $22 in "convenience fees" for my Eric Clapton-Robert Cray tickets. :pointstosky:

I don't understand why guys like Eric Clapton and the Rolling Stones would use them. It seems that bands that big could figure out how to manage their own distribution.

It's the venues. The venues have deals w/TM. If a band doesn't want to use TM they may find themselves shut out of many of the venues they want to play.

Which is why scumbags like Clear Channel deserve as much of our ire as TM.

I avoid Ticketbastard like the plague. When they're charging $8 in "convenience," I mean anal raping, fees on a $15 ticket, it just makes more sense for me to go to the venue and buy tickets for the show from the box office.

Thankfully, a lot of the bands I see go through independent companies and most venues I frequent either sell tickets themselves or use something like Indie Tickets.

Yep, that was all there, that was why I provided the link. My quote was still accurate though. Feel free to voice your disapproval. :thumbsup:

God Bless America! Maybe someday these crooks will be brought to justice

Jesus focking christ, when did jerryskids start working for Ticketmaster? :(

I've never heard any one stick up for this sh!t stain of a company like this guy. It's actually kind of funny and must be a joke. :thumbsdown:

I paid over $80 for 3 x $15 e-tickets. They didn't even have to print them, in fact they didn't even send them, I had to send an e-mail because they never came.

;)

I paid over $80 for 3 x $15 e-tickets. They didn't even have to print them, in fact they didn't even send them, I had to send an e-mail because they never came.

:mad:

I love when you invite a bunch of friends to go to a show and you have to say to them, "by the way, I know I said the show was going to be $35, but it turns out you each owe me $53." :wacko:

Jesus focking christ, when did jerryskids start working for Ticketmaster? :mad:

I've never heard any one stick up for this sh!t stain of a company like this guy. It's actually kind of funny and must be a joke. :lol:

I'm not "sticking up for them," I'm just saying that they are good at what they do, the gubment investigated them and found they were not doing anything illegal, and everyone here is being a whiny pussay.

Jeebus, if our country had half as much hatred for bin Laden as we apparently do for Ticketmaster, we'd have killed him 5 years ago. :wacko:

I'm not "sticking up for them," I'm just saying that they are good at what they do, the gubment investigated them and found they were not doing anything illegal, and everyone here is being a whiny pussay.

Jeebus, if our country had half as much hatred for bin Laden as we apparently do for Ticketmaster, we'd have killed him 5 years ago. :mad:

:wacko: Good one!!

Oh my god, the dumbest thing I've ever read in my life. ever. :lol:

Jeebus, if our country had half as much hatred for bin Laden as we apparently do for Ticketmaster, we'd have killed him 5 years ago. :banana:

Sincerely,

jerryskids, V.P. Ticketmaster Marketing

:mad: