Sign in to follow this  
JMaximus12

"Mercy" rule in High School Football in Connecticut

Okay, Not sure how many of you heard this, but in the off-season, the state legislature passed a rule regarding high school football- if coaches run up the score and win the game by more than 50 points, the coach draws a 1 game suspension. there is no flexibility in this law. A coach could play his entire JV squad in the 2nd half, and the rule still applies...the rule is in place to "Protect the psyche of High School kids"...

WHAT???

this is the worst rule in the history of competitive sports...so, 49-0 is NOT humiliating to a kid, but 50-0 is??? and how the heck does a coach tell his back ups to go out there, and play hard, but not TOO hard???

there have already been 3 coaches to face suspensions, though 2 have appealed and won. One coach this weekend will not appeal, after winning 60-0, though 20 points were scored by 2nd & 3rd team kids...

i know there arwe many of you who will agree, but i'd REALLY like to hear someone have an opinion contrary, and actually defend this assinine rule...(sorry, no link right now...i'll work on that).

Glad to see the State legislature is so busy, this couldn't be done at the municipal level? Fvcking losers. There has to be more important sh!t on the docket. How about straightening out I-84 for starters, the most unnecessarily curvy highway in the world, that causes traffic backups from Danbury to Moosup. Stupid state.

This should be called the MDC rule it's so ghey.

Sounds like the kids on the better teams are really going to put their health at risk. They have to play and yet they really cannot give a full effort. Endless lawsuit possibilities.

It's a good idea but done poorly. I remember from another thread on this topic then can have a 'clock run' rule where if you are up by over 35 in the 4th quarter the clock never stops running. This shortens the game and almost guarantees they don't win by 50+.

It's a good idea but done poorly. I remember from another thread on this topic then can have a 'clock run' rule where if you are up by over 35 in the 4th quarter the clock never stops running. This shortens the game and almost guarantees they don't win by 50+.
Or why not just end the game once a team is up 50 points on another team?

The rule is dumb in the first place. Coaches that run up the score (especially at the high school level) only make themselves look bad. Besides, do we really have to worry about the psyches of high school football players? They tended to think pretty highly of themselves at my HS, and our team sucked.

the rule should suspend the losing coach one game for not having his team prepared

there should not be a rule

1. if you run up the score, you are a jackass

2. if someone runs the score up on you, STFU

3. if i was losing 49-0, i would purposely take a safety on the last play of the game.

What do you expect..It's Connecticut :first:

2nd Gheyest state in the union :dunno:

itsatipthatTexor

:first:

I think that the rule was set up for the coach in this particular situation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2608373

Let's see... I am up by 40+ points, and I keep my star running back in the game so that he can run up 600+ yards in rushing.

I think that legislation is stupid, but I also think that the officials should turn a blind eye when one of the opposing players deliberately tries to injure said star running back with a cheap shot.

I think that the rule was set up for the coach in this particular situation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2608373

Let's see... I am up by 40+ points, and I keep my star running back in the game so that he can run up 600+ yards in rushing.

I think that legislation is stupid, but I also think that the officials should turn a blind eye when one of the opposing players deliberately tries to injure said star running back with a cheap shot.

Why didn't they just tackle him?

3. if i was losing 49-0, i would purposely take a safety on the last play of the game.

Cheerleaders could do a cheer for the coach...

Nananana Nanana Hey Hey...Goodbye!

its 1 thing to lose by A LOT to a team that just has it all.....

but its really an insult when that team is doing stupid things to KEEP from scoring...

oh, we'll run and just fall down every 10 yards...keep the clock moving...

umm..no thanks...

i would run the reverse...and after the last guy hands off...keep him running to the other sideline and let him punch the coach in front of his players...run to the bleachers and push his kids down the steps and attempt to mount his wife....while fans watch in horror....

I remember reading old articles about Kenneth Hall (the greatest HS RB in the history of ever). They mentioned how none of the opposing coaches would get mad when his team would be up 42-0 and Hall would still be in the game even after accumulating 300-400 yds and 6 TDs. The reason they wouldnt get mad was because it would only be halfway through the 2nd quarter and they knew his coach would be removing him from the game soon.

I remember reading old articles about Kenneth Hall (the greatest HS RB in the history of ever). They mentioned how none of the opposing coaches would get mad when his team would be up 42-0 and Hall would still be in the game even after accumulating 300-400 yds and 6 TDs. The reason they wouldnt get mad was because it would only be halfway through the 2nd quarter and they knew his coach would be removing him from the game soon.

That is the key. As a guy who has coached in some of those blowout situations (almost always on side with the better team), you have to have your kids playing their hardest at all times. You may want them to work on some different things, but they are playing the game too. However, once the game is out of hand, then you get your 2nd and 3rd stringers in there to get some action. If the 2nd and 3rd stringers still kick butt, then that is not running up the score. But, you don't keep your best players out there to keep running up the score.

Maryland rule is at 35 points during the 2nd half the clock runs and stops only for timeouts.

Another league runs the clock at 35 points and at 50 points the losing team has 1 chance to get it below 50 if they don't game over.

Sugar Land, Tx!!!!!

That is the key. As a guy who has coached in some of those blowout situations (almost always on side with the better team), you have to have your kids playing their hardest at all times. You may want them to work on some different things, but they are playing the game too. However, once the game is out of hand, then you get your 2nd and 3rd stringers in there to get some action. If the 2nd and 3rd stringers still kick butt, then that is not running up the score. But, you don't keep your best players out there to keep running up the score.

You NEVER tell the kids to not play. Like you said, you work on different things w/in the game. Work on passing. Work on the out pattern. Work on the draw. Play your #2 & #3. But don't "Not" play.