Sign in to follow this  
DamageIncVacc

top points but not making playoffs

Just curious if anyone has a good strategy there league uses to prevent a team that scores a ton of points but has bad luck matchup wise from not making the playoffs.

Happenes every year in our league. To me this year. I am not complaining as it is just a fact of the game.

Last year the team with the most points finnised 4th in there divison (2 Div, 10 Teams). He played the weekly winner 5 times . Just bad kuck. But himself and the top scoring team ( 1st place) were so far ahead of the rest of the teams it was such a shame he did not make the playoffs. Few years ago the top scoring team did not make the playoffs ( We has 4 playoff teams then )

Now this year I am 3-5 and on the cusp (tied for third) . Played the weekly winner 3 times in 8 weeks . WOuld have beaten any other team. Scoring tons of points but losing .Just hoping this is not a patern. LOL.

Anyone have a league that takes this into account?? I was thinking of bringing it up to the commish , my thought was 1st and 2nd place (4 teams) and the highest score gets the 2 wild cards. Does not matter if your team is in last. Just a thought I had.

Anyones league ever try anything in reference to that issue?

Use a victory points system. Example: 12 team league you get 2 points for a win no matter how many points you score. In addition the 4 top scoring teams get 2 points, the next 4 teams in scoring get 1 point and the 4 lowest scoring teams get 0 points. So you could lose to the top scoring team but still get points for scoring high points.

If you use CBS you can use the Power Ranking to determine playoff seedings....everyone in my league loves it. Your ranking is based on 3 criteria: head to head, total points, and breakdown which is your record if you would play every team every week. This method leaves the fun of head-to-head intact, but creates a balance. There's always luck involved in FF but this mitigates it a bit. The site does it for you.

If you use CBS you can use the Power Ranking to determine playoff seedings....everyone in my league loves it. Your ranking is based on 3 criteria: head to head, total points, and breakdown which is your record if you would play every team every week. This method leaves the fun of head-to-head intact, but creates a balance. There's always luck involved in FF but this mitigates it a bit. The site does it for you.

I like this approach but would like more detail.

As Commish we have 2 Div's with top 2 in and best record is WC. It's ok and gives a big break to top 3 as 4th seeded plays WC with others getting a bye. I am thinking of proposing we add a team and have the 1-2 seeds get a bye and the 5 seed stay the same and the 6 seed qualify on breakdown. Have 3 + 4 play 5 -6 in week 14. Gives everyone something to play for longer.

One of my teams is at .500 but is the highest scoring in the league. Dissapointing to say the least at the #5 ranking in the league and the top 4 make the playoffs so there's still a shot left.

One league I play in gives the same payout to the season points leader and super bowl winner. There are also smaller prizes for division winners & weekly points scored winner.

If you ever manage to have the highest scoring team AND win the playoffs, you pull in a very pretty prize. If the league points leader is snake bitten by matchups, then at least he wins as much as the SB champ.

The power ranking option is a very interesting option. A play all record will balance the scales, but you might as well change to an overall points scored system and eliminate head to head matchups all together. I prefer H to H since that is how I've played FF back to the Montana era.

Just curious if anyone has a good strategy there league uses to prevent a team that scores a ton of points but has bad luck matchup wise from not making the playoffs.

Happenes every year in our league. To me this year. I am not complaining as it is just a fact of the game.

Last year the team with the most points finnised 4th in there divison (2 Div, 10 Teams). He played the weekly winner 5 times . Just bad kuck. But himself and the top scoring team ( 1st place) were so far ahead of the rest of the teams it was such a shame he did not make the playoffs. Few years ago the top scoring team did not make the playoffs ( We has 4 playoff teams then )

Now this year I am 3-5 and on the cusp (tied for third) . Played the weekly winner 3 times in 8 weeks . WOuld have beaten any other team. Scoring tons of points but losing .Just hoping this is not a patern. LOL.

Anyone have a league that takes this into account?? I was thinking of bringing it up to the commish , my thought was 1st and 2nd place (4 teams) and the highest score gets the 2 wild cards. Does not matter if your team is in last. Just a thought I had.

Anyones league ever try anything in reference to that issue?

Last year I had high points scored and the highest points scored against. I lost the first 6 weeks and would have won if I would have played anyone else but my opponent. Bad luck

We have 2 divisions in my league with 5 teams each. The top 3 in each division go to the playoffs. The top team in each division gets a first round bye.

This year my division is the strongest. One of us will not make the playoffs but will have a record well above .500

The other divisions leader wouldnt even make 3rd place in ours. ###### happens

If you ever manage to have the highest scoring team AND win the playoffs, you pull in a very pretty prize.

Last season I won 5 weeks ($125) won the division (11-2 $500) and won the championship ($1000) .

I went to Disney (florida). literally. Paid for half my family trip.

In my keeper league we have ten teams in two divisions. The 2 division winners get playoff spots and then the two teams with the highest points for get the two wild cards. This keeps the head to head fun when trying to win the division and also makes sure that the best teams are in the playoffs. This only seems fair being that my fantasy team has no impact what so ever on how many points are scored against me. Last year was the first year for this and it worked well, it also kept the playoff race a lot tighter, right up to the final week we seven teams that had a real shot at making it in and an 8th team that needed a miracle but had a very slim shot at it... Guys don't get down and out as fast with this system and keep managing their teams too...

This is easy:

We simply let the team in for FREE the following season if they score the most points and dont make the playoffs. Everyone likes it and fully supports it. Plus, it facilitates that team returning since in many cases that owner will be a little ticked off. They forget about it when I alert them that they are in for free!

So: Most points / No Playoffs = League dues for the following season WAIVED

:dunno: :first:

We got the following idea here on a thread 2 years ago and our league loves it.

12 team league,no divisions,we play head-to-head for a cash prize,however,the playoff teams(6 of 12)are determined by a weekly points system.

Let's say team 1 beats team 2 and team 2 had 2nd highest score of the week,team 2 still takes a loss in the head-to-head but is awarded 10 points because in reality they scored better than 10 of the other teams.

We also play all 17 weeks of the season and then award end of season prizes for high points,high one week position players,best head-to-head to record,regular season points champion etc.Then on the Friday before the NFL play-offs start we have a redraft of the bottom 6 teams play-off players and start a post-season points tournament with no head-to-head that goes through to the actual Super Bowl(as long as you have play-off players you play them)and the team with the most post-season points at the end of the Super Bowl wins the fantasy Super Bowl.

It's a little bit of extra work for the commish but we're in our 2nd year and the league has never been more fun and challenging.

I'm in this position as well. 3-5 with the most points by a comfortable margin. I like the head-to-head system. I'm not happy about missing the playoffs this year, but them's the breaks. I would advocate against factoring in points scored. IMHO, it shouldn't matter how many points you scored on a given day. It should matter that you scored more than the guy you played that week. Just think of it as having a team with a high octane offense and a paper thin defense. :banana:

I prefer total pts as the #1 determining factor for FF and H2H as the fun part and as less important as total pts. H2H is pure luck of the draw and unlike the NFL, we can't influence what happens during the games. So, my favorite league distrubution at the end of the year is the one that gives the prizes as follows:

1. Total Pts

2. SB Champ

3. 2nd in pts

4. SB runner-up

1 league I am in.

12 teams

2 divisions

Division winners by record get home seeds for playoffs

3rd seed best record of remaining

4th seed highest points of remaining teams.

Other 8 teams have a playoff to win back their league fee.

Nothing should be done. Having the highest point total in the league could be the result of a team having a handful of monster points weeks while being average or even below average the rest of the weeks. You can have the highest point total without having been consistently good. Would you deserve some special treatment then? What if the person with the most wins has the best record because he luckily faced opponents every week whose best players were on a bye? Do we penalize him? What do we do about the guy whose team seems to always face the team with the highest points for the week resulting in his terrible record? Do we want to take all luck and randomness out of fantasy football? That would take a lot of the fun out of it. We all benefit or suffer from randomness and luck in our leagues. Your situation is just more easily noticeable than others.

we have a 16 team league....

2 divisions

playoff teams...

top 2 teams in each division

the next team with the best record (either division)

the next team with the highest average on the year (either division)

The remedy is to win your head-to-head games.

I don't like to use total points as anything but a tie-breaker. Otherwise, why bother with weekly matchups or playoffs? Just have a single-division league with a running point total. At the end of the year the team with the most points wins.

Some leagues are set up where each team plays against 2 teams every week, for this very reason. I've heard CBSsportsline has a feature that allows leagues to do that. I think it's a great idea.

In my league, we go by head to head matchups as a tie breaker and then points. (IMO- that just makes the problem worse!) The reason we did it that way was "to be more like real football". Maybe it is more like real football, but it just isn't right for an owner who's leading in total points and tied in record, but misses the playoffs because he lost some stupid game back in week 1.

Our isn't necessarily better but seems to be less complicated than most of these options. We have 3 divisions and the division winners proceed (using overall record, fantasy points, head to head record, etc.). The other 3 included in the playoffs are the ones from the remaining teams that have scored the most fantasy points -- regardless of record. It seems to even out the luck factor somewhat.

My league is a 14 team, 1 division, head-to-head, 13 week league. Everyone plays everyone once. 6 teams make the Super Bowl, where the top payout is. The bottom 8 are in the Consolation bracket where the winner wins back his entry fee. We take the top 5 records (many times tie-breakers are needed: head-to-head; points scored). The sixth team is the highest scoring team that is left among the 9 not in the top 5. This insures the highest scorer will be in the Super Bowl Playoffs. It makes losing a little easier if you score a bunch of points.

12 teams, 4 divisions.

6 playoff teams, 1-4 are division winners (w/ tiebreakers for 1-4 slots).

5th seed is best overall record of remaining.

6th seed is most overall points remaining.

Pretty happy with the setup. Do start playoffs earlier (to avoid week 17 and to fit in 3 playoff weeks).