Sign in to follow this  
t.j

Best offense/defense in college football?

Best offense and defense in college football?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which school has the best offense in college football?

• Boise
    • Cal
    • Louisville
    • Michigan
    • Notre Dame
    • Ohio State
    • Southern California
    • Texas
    • West Virginia
    • other (specify)
  2. 2. Which school has the best defense in college football?

• Auburn
    • Florida
    • LSU
    • Michigan
    • Ohio State
    • Pitt
    • Rutgers
    • Virginia Tech
    • Wisconsin
    • other (specify)

Discuss.

P.S. No offense intended to anyone on the poll choices. I went basically off points scored/allowed and turnovers lost/forced.

Hawaii is by far the best offense in college football, maybe one of the best in the history of college Div 1-A, and it's not even debatable.

Colt Brennan is a real threat to break the single season TD passing record. Hawaii scores a TD on almost every possession. They have scored 67+ points in 3 of their last 4 games.

Just look up their season numbers.

Hawaii is by far the best offense in college football, maybe one of the best in the history of college Div 1-A, and it's not even debatable.

Colt Brennan is a real threat to break the single season TD passing record. Hawaii scores a TD on almost every possession. They have scored 67+ points in 3 of their last 4 games.

Just look up their season numbers.

:dunno:

#1 in scoring (47.3, next best is 40.3)

#1 in yards (541.9 per game)

I left them off though because of their weak competition, because they turn it over almost twice per game, and because they are 98th in rushing. Granted, they bother to run and average pretty good yards per rush, and I guess you can afford a couple of turnovers per game when you pretty much never punt. You can make a case for them, I just thought I would go mostly with the schools facing tougher competition. Their one big-name defense opponent was Alabama. They scored 17 against 'Bama, and 'Bama gives up 16.6 per game. So, I disagree with you that it's not even debatable.

:thumbsdown:

#1 in scoring (47.3, next best is 40.3)

#1 in yards (541.9 per game)

I left them off though because of their weak competition, because they turn it over almost twice per game, and because they are 98th in rushing. Granted, they bother to run and average pretty good yards per rush, and I guess you can afford a couple of turnovers per game when you pretty much never punt. You can make a case for them, I just thought I would go mostly with the schools facing tougher competition. Their one big-name defense opponent was Alabama. They scored 17 against 'Bama, and 'Bama gives up 16.6 per game. So, I disagree with you that it's not even debatable.

That was their first game of the year, and still gained, I believe, about 400 yards in that Alabama game. They faced a very good Boise St defense, and put up good numbers in that one too. Nevada is a solid team, will go bowling, and Hawaii torched them, before Nevada got some garbage points in the 4th quarter.

I've been following this Hawaii team very closely all year, winning tons of money betting on them, and it's the best offense I have ever seen in college football. At least, in my lifetime.

My $.02.

And Colt Brennan has to be considered in the Heisman race.

lol only 1 of 7 votes has Ohio State the best defense??

They've only given up 76 points in 10 games! Scored 42 tds and given up 8!

:D :D

I will second Hawaii and their week competition... I'd be willing to bet Ohio St. or almost any top 10 team could put up those numbers against their schedule... the two teams they played they didn't look too spectacular, (boise st and alabama.)

Being that my hawkeyes officially suck now, i'd still be willing to bet if they got chosen to go to the hawaii bowl they'd take hawaii to the woodshed (if the secondary is healthy)

That was their first game of the year, and still gained, I believe, about 400 yards in that Alabama game. They faced a very good Boise St defense, and put up good numbers in that one too.

Sure they put up yards against 'Bama, they also turned it over 3 times in that game, and notably only 22 of those yards were rushing yards. To call Boise St. a very good defense is a slap in the face to the truly very good defenses in the country, and that's another game where they turned the ball over 3 times.

I've been following this Hawaii team very closely all year, winning tons of money betting on them

Congrats.

I will second Hawaii and their week competition... I'd be willing to bet Ohio St. or almost any top 10 team could put up those numbers against their schedule... the two teams they played they didn't look too spectacular, (boise st and alabama.)

Let's check out some of the teams Ohio St played this year: Northern Illinois, Cincinnati, Bowling Green, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota. Are any of these teams going to a bowl this year? Hawaii will have played as many as 5 bowl teams by the time the year ends, pending San Jose St and Oregon St. Boise St is a BCS team this year, as they are going to go undefeated, and Hawaii put up 500 yards and 34 points on them.

And Ohio St hasn't scored more than 44 in any game this year. Hawaii is AVERAGING more than 47 per game. There is no way Ohio St can be considered the equal of Hawaii offensively, especially with Ohio St weak ass schedule.

Sure they put up yards against 'Bama, they also turned it over 3 times in that game, and notably only 22 of those yards were rushing yards. To call Boise St. a very good defense is a slap in the face to the truly very good defenses in the country, and that's another game where they turned the ball over 3 times.

Alabama is ranked #15 in total defense. Boise St is ranked #33 in total defense.

Look, if you guys want to ignore stats, then fine. Make it subjective. But the math says Hawaii is the number #1 offense, and they have played some decent teams. The last couple of weeks, they have been scary. Against Idaho, they scored a TD on every single possesion, except for the last possession of the game, when they ran out the clock. This offense is clicking unbelievably right now. Efficiently scary.

And Ohio St hasn't scored more than 44 in any game this year. Hawaii is AVERAGING more than 47 per game. There is no way Ohio St can be considered the equal of Hawaii offensively, especially with Ohio St weak ass schedule.

This is shocking news, better contact Mel Kiper quick with this info so that he can put all of these Hawaii players in the 1st round of his mock

drafts and drop Smith, Ginn, Gonzo and any o-lineman out.

by the way how are timmy Chang and ashley lelie doing? :thumbsdown: :rolleyes:

This is shocking news, better contact Mel Kiper quick with this info so that he can put all of these Hawaii players in the 1st round of his mock

drafts and drop Smith, Ginn, Gonzo and any o-lineman out.

by the way how are timmy Chang and ashley lelie doing? :thumbsdown: :rolleyes:

Timmy Chang's records will be long lost memories after Colt Brennan re-writes the record books. Ashley Lelie was a decent WR, but doesn't have anyone that can get the ball downfield to him. And more importantly, neither is on this current Hawaii team. Maybe part of the success is the June Jones system. But the system doesn't diminish what the players are doing on the field.

Last year, Hawaii started a million freshman, and this year, those players matured into this offensive juggernault. Since it is such a young team, they won't have that many players drafted this year. But I keep reading how more and more scouts are following this team around the country, as they are loaded with talent. They will head to the pros in the next couple of years.

I am not a Hawaii apologist. It's just that not many people are aware of this team. A really far out there West Coast bias. Next year, I think they make a run at a BCS berth, like Boise St will do this year.

Let's check out some of the teams Ohio St played this year: Northern Illinois, Cincinnati, Bowling Green, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota. Are any of these teams going to a bowl this year? Hawaii will have played as many as 5 bowl teams by the time the year ends, pending San Jose St and Oregon St. Boise St is a BCS team this year, as they are going to go undefeated, and Hawaii put up 500 yards and 34 points on them.

Alabama is ranked #15 in total defense. Boise St is ranked #33 in total defense.

Look, if you guys want to ignore stats, then fine. Make it subjective. But the math says Hawaii is the number #1 offense, and they have played some decent teams. The last couple of weeks, they have been scary. Against Idaho, they scored a TD on every single possesion, except for the last possession of the game, when they ran out the clock. This offense is clicking unbelievably right now. Efficiently scary.

weak ass schedule? :pointstosky: If OSU goes to the Fiesta Bowl, they will play 3 number 2 ranked teams this year. Has that ever happened before? Not to mention Iowa and Penn State were both ranked when OSU played them.

If you watched OSU games you would know tha Tressell like to run the clock at the end of the game. T Smith has been coming out after the 3rd quarter in a lot of their games. Just because they haven't scored 47 points doesn't mean that they weren't able to.

weak ass schedule? :headbanger: If OSU goes to the Fiesta Bowl, they will play 3 number 2 ranked teams this year. Has that ever happened before? Not to mention Iowa and Penn State were both ranked when OSU played them.

If you watched OSU games you would know tha Tressell like to run the clock at the end of the game. T Smith has been coming out after the 3rd quarter in a lot of their games. Just because they haven't scored 47 points doesn't mean that they weren't able to.

Iowa? Penn St? Pfft. You are helping my argument for weak ass schedule.

If YOU watched OSU games, you would know that Tressell tries to run up the score every chance he gets to cover spreads and impress voters. Ohio St is scoring lots and lots and lots of garbage time points.

There is no way Ohio St can be considered the equal of Hawaii offensively, especially with Ohio St weak ass schedule.

your vision is clouded my friend... the Big Ten is one of the best conferences in all of college football. Hawaii would be lucky to put up 20 points per game against the defenses in the big ten... and the only reason a lot of these teams aren't ranked (penn st., Iowa, Minnesota) is because they beat up on each other. The WAC can't even compare with the defensive talent in the big ten.

And for OSU having a weak schedule??? you are crazy. Texas, Penn st., Iowa, and soon to be michigan... all of those teams will go bowling. Not to mention an underated cincy team. I would love to see hawaii play any of the four teams mentioned earlier besides cincy... i am willing to bet they score maybe 30...

If penn st. or iowa play hawaii in the hawaii bowl then we will truly be able to see if hawaii's offense can compete against REAL defense... until then keep dreamin

But the math says Hawaii is the number #1 offense, and they have played some decent teams.

they have played some decent teams <> they have proven themselves against good defenses

If YOU watched OSU games, you would know that Tressell tries to run up the score every chance he gets to cover spreads and impress voters. Ohio St is scoring lots and lots and lots of garbage time points.

This just is not true. He takes out his starting QB and lets backups play.

Last year, Hawaii started a million freshman, and this year, those players matured into this offensive juggernault. Since it is such a young team, they won't have that many players drafted this year. But I keep reading how more and more scouts are following this team around the country, as they are loaded with talent. They will head to the pros in the next couple of years.

Call me delusional, but I just don't believe Hawaii and their merry band of sophomores would be looking as good offensively as Ohio State if they played in the Big Ten.

your vision is clouded my friend... the Big Ten is one of the best conferences in all of college football. Hawaii would be lucky to put up 20 points per game against the defenses in the big ten... and the only reason a lot of these teams aren't ranked (penn st., Iowa, Minnesota) is because they beat up on each other. The WAC can't even compare with the defensive talent in the big ten.

And for OSU having a weak schedule??? you are crazy. Texas, Penn st., Iowa, and soon to be michigan... all of those teams will go bowling. Not to mention an underated cincy team. I would love to see hawaii play any of the four teams mentioned earlier besides cincy... i am willing to bet they score maybe 30...

If penn st. or iowa play hawaii in the hawaii bowl then we will truly be able to see if hawaii's offense can compete against REAL defense... until then keep dreamin

The Big Ten has 3 good teams this year: Ohio St, Michigan, and Wisconsin. The rest of the teams are either mediocre or bad. While they beat each other up, most of these teams aren't good, whether it's due to injuries or lack of talent or rebuilding.

While the Big Ten features better defenses, the WAC features better offenses. Heck, Nevada beat Northwestern by double digits earlier this year.

But I am curious to see how Hawaii will perform in their bowl game. I know they beat Northwestern and Michigan St two years ago, but lost to Wisconsin by 14 or so points last year. They can certainly compete with the Big Ten, looking at those results, along with their vast improvement this year.

This just is not true. He takes out his starting QB and lets backups play.

Then why is Tressel throwing the ball at the end of games, calling timeouts to kick FGs with seconds on the clock rather than running out the clock? Tressel has been catching a lot of heat the last couple of years for intentionally running up scores at the end of games.

Not saying he shouldn't. But he is very notorious for running up scores.

I respect phillybear's opinion on college football and read what he has to say on the mange board just about every week.

But I'd equate Hawaii's defense with the offenses of Texas Tech over the past decade or so. TT has been very good at cleaning up against mediocre defenses (including Nebraska pretty bad a couple years ago :cry: ) but when they run into teams with legitimate defenses (ie. Texas and OU), they generally get shut down pretty hard.

One last thought, and I'll try to leave this thread alone, as my arguing isn't going to convince anyone.

Hawaii gains 8.4 yards per play vs teams that allow 6.2 yards per play.

Ohio St gains 6.2 yards per play vs teams that allow 5.3 yards per play.

This includes passing and rushing. Which team is more efficient? Obviously, I think Hawaii is more impressive.

The Big Ten has 3 good teams this year: Ohio St, Michigan, and Wisconsin. The rest of the teams are either mediocre or bad. While they beat each other up, most of these teams aren't good, whether it's due to injuries or lack of talent or rebuilding.

While the Big Ten features better defenses, the WAC features better offenses. Heck, Nevada beat Northwestern by double digits earlier this year.

But I am curious to see how Hawaii will perform in their bowl game. I know they beat Northwestern and Michigan St two years ago, but lost to Wisconsin by 14 or so points last year. They can certainly compete with the Big Ten, looking at those results, along with their vast improvement this year.

Then why is Tressel throwing the ball at the end of games, calling timeouts to kick FGs with seconds on the clock rather than running out the clock? Tressel has been catching a lot of heat the last couple of years for intentionally running up scores at the end of games.

Not saying he shouldn't. But he is very notorious for running up scores.

he is throwing the ball to give his backup QB and WRs some experience. They still run more than pass late in the games. I don't remember what you are talking about as far as the field goal goes. They have a new kicker this year, maybe it was early in the year and he wanted to let him have some practice. Tressell has always been more of a shut it down coach once they have the lead.

Its settled then, the winner of the OSU/michigan game will play Hawaii in the fiesta bowl.

magnum pi will flip the coin.

by the way phillybear, its 1:39pm.  you should sober up at some point today.

he is throwing the ball to give his backup QB and WRs some experience. They still run more than pass late in the games. I don't remember what you are talking about as far as the field goal goes. They have a new kicker this year, maybe it was early in the year and he wanted to let him have some practice. Tressell has always been more of a shut it down coach once they have the lead.

Two games in particular really, really struck me as I was following the play by play. One was a couple of weeks ago against Cincinnati. Ohio St struggled for most of the game, but pulled away late. They were one or two points to the spread of covering. Tressel called a timeout with seconds to go in the game rather than let the clock run out. And they were up by about 27. They brought in the kicker. And kicked a FG to go up by about 30, to cover the spread.

Last year, I bet on San Diego St plus 24 or 27 points, or some such number. and SDSt threw a bomb for a TD early to go up 7-0. Ohio St chipped away, and finally went up 27-7. With about 3 minutes to go in the game, and backed up deep in their own zone, Ohio St threw the ball 13 straight plays. 13 IN A ROW, desperately trying to score a TD to cover the spread. They finally ran out of time deep in SD St territory.

These are just two examples of Ohio St weirdness at the end of games. Even if the backups are in the game, that doesn't mean Tressel isn't running up the score. And he is not the only one, as Boise St and Louisville, among others, do this as well. The Syracuse coach went bananas a few weeks ago as Louisville was trying to run up the score on the Cuse. The Syracuse coach ordered his team to let Louisville score because he was so disgusting; he slammed his clipboard to the ground and went nuts on the sidelines.

I don't often bet on Ohio St games anymore because of Tressel, unless I bet with them. And they were scoring until the very end vs Minnesota, with my full support.

Keep an eye on the point spread and the play calling in future games. You might be surprised.

Philly, your going to give me a heart attack. Calm down!

Boise State has the best offense in the country. They would be ranked higher if they didn't have to shut it down in the second quarter of every game because they are winning by 40.

Two games in particular really, really struck me as I was following the play by play. One was a couple of weeks ago against Cincinnati. Ohio St struggled for most of the game, but pulled away late. They were one or two points to the spread of covering. Tressel called a timeout with seconds to go in the game rather than let the clock run out. And they were up by about 27. They brought in the kicker. And kicked a FG to go up by about 30, to cover the spread.

Last year, I bet on San Diego St plus 24 or 27 points, or some such number. and SDSt threw a bomb for a TD early to go up 7-0. Ohio St chipped away, and finally went up 27-7. With about 3 minutes to go in the game, and backed up deep in their own zone, Ohio St threw the ball 13 straight plays. 13 IN A ROW, desperately trying to score a TD to cover the spread. They finally ran out of time deep in SD St territory.

These are just two examples of Ohio St weirdness at the end of games. Even if the backups are in the game, that doesn't mean Tressel isn't running up the score. And he is not the only one, as Boise St and Louisville, among others, do this as well. The Syracuse coach went bananas a few weeks ago as Louisville was trying to run up the score on the Cuse. The Syracuse coach ordered his team to let Louisville score because he was so disgusting; he slammed his clipboard to the ground and went nuts on the sidelines.

I don't often bet on Ohio St games anymore because of Tressel, unless I bet with them. And they were scoring until the very end vs Minnesota, with my full support.

Keep an eye on the point spread and the play calling in future games. You might be surprised.

I just looked up this play on ESPN. Tressell was giving his backup kicker a chance to kick a 52 yarder. There first string kicker did not kick it. Time didn't run out either. They kicked off to Cinci and they got the ball with 40 seconds left. There was also no timeout called by Ohio State.

Also if you notice Todd Boeckman as QB. He is their 3rd string QB

Ohio State at 5:30 UC OSU

1st and 10 at UC 44 Todd Boeckman rush for 4 yards to the Cincy 40. 7 34

2nd and 6 at UC 40 Chris Wells rush for 8 yards to the Cincy 32 for a 1ST down.

1st and 10 at UC 32 Todd Boeckman pass complete to Ray Small for 7 yards to the Cincy 25.

2nd and 3 at UC 25 Todd Boeckman rush for 4 yards to the Cincy 21 for a 1ST down.

1st and 10 at UC 21 Maurice Wells rush for 1 yard to the Cincy 20.

2nd and 9 at UC 20 Rob Schoenhoft pass complete to Roy Hall for 4 yards to the Cincy 16.

3rd and 5 at UC 16 Rob Schoenhoft sacked by Curtis Young, fumbled at the Cincy 35, recovered by OSU at the Cincy 35, tackled by Curtis Young.

4th and 24 at UC 35 Ryan Pretorius 52 yard field goal GOOD. 7 37

Ryan Pretorius kickoff for 65 yards for a touchback.

I just looked up this play on ESPN. Tressell was giving his backup kicker a chance to kick a 52 yarder. There first string kicker did not kick it. Time didn't run out either. They kicked off to Cinci and they got the ball with 40 seconds left. There was also no timeout called by Ohio State.

Also if you notice Todd Boeckman as QB. He is their 3rd string QB

Ohio State at 5:30 UC OSU

1st and 10 at UC 44 Todd Boeckman rush for 4 yards to the Cincy 40. 7 34

2nd and 6 at UC 40 Chris Wells rush for 8 yards to the Cincy 32 for a 1ST down.

1st and 10 at UC 32 Todd Boeckman pass complete to Ray Small for 7 yards to the Cincy 25.

2nd and 3 at UC 25 Todd Boeckman rush for 4 yards to the Cincy 21 for a 1ST down.

1st and 10 at UC 21 Maurice Wells rush for 1 yard to the Cincy 20.

2nd and 9 at UC 20 Rob Schoenhoft pass complete to Roy Hall for 4 yards to the Cincy 16.

3rd and 5 at UC 16 Rob Schoenhoft sacked by Curtis Young, fumbled at the Cincy 35, recovered by OSU at the Cincy 35, tackled by Curtis Young.

4th and 24 at UC 35 Ryan Pretorius 52 yard field goal GOOD. 7 37

Ryan Pretorius kickoff for 65 yards for a touchback.

I just checked too. They kicked the FG with 1:07 left. I guess my memory wasn't spot on, but not far off. There was no need to kick that ball except to run up the score and cover the spread. Up 27 points with a minute to go. Almost every coach in America will run the ball up the middle or punt. Part of the problem is this BCS system they have in place. And part of the problem is pleasing the alumni who bet on Ohio St and their pressure.

That example was off the top of my head. I am positive I could dig up more, but it would be redundant.

Penn St has a top 25 defense and IOWA's D is not far off.

No votes for LSU's defense though? 3rd in the nation right now and they had road games at Florida, TN, and Auburn.

Its settled then, the winner of the OSU/michigan game will play Hawaii in the fiesta bowl.

magnum pi will flip the coin.

by the way phillybear, its 1:39pm.  you should sober up at some point today.

Hawaii is not the best team in the country. Just the best offense. Two completely different things.

Penn St has a top 25 defense and IOWA's D is not far off.

I am seeing Penn St at #32 and Iowa at #58 in total defense, but it's in the same ballpark.

Both teams are really struggling offensively. Part of it was Drew Tate's injury. Part of it is that Penn St's offense completely sucks this year. I thought both teams would be pretty good this year, but when you can only muster 3 points against Wisconsin like Penn St just did, and when you lose at home to Northwestern like Iowas just did, there are big problems with your teams. Neither are very good, both are disappointing.

I just checked too. They kicked the FG with 1:07 left. I guess my memory wasn't spot on, but not far off. There was no need to kick that ball except to run up the score and cover the spread. Up 27 points with a minute to go. Almost every coach in America will run the ball up the middle or punt. Part of the problem is this BCS system they have in place. And part of the problem is pleasing the alumni who bet on Ohio St and their pressure.

That example was off the top of my head. I am positive I could dig up more, but it would be redundant.

Like I said, they let their backup kicker kick the field goal and their 3rd string QB was the QB on that drive. That hardly sounds like a team trying to run the score up. It sounds like a team trying to get players some game experience who might not get it otherwise.

Like I said, they let their backup kicker kick the field goal and their 3rd string QB was the QB on that drive. That hardly sounds like a team trying to run the score up. It sounds like a team trying to get players some game experience who might not get it otherwise.

Nope. That sounds like running up the score. :banana:

Teams try to show sportsmanship by running the ball up the middle to kill clock so the game will end and no one gets hurt at the end of the game. It would be a shame is someone ended their career because Tressell needed to cover the spread.

Hawaii is not the best team in the country. Just the best offense. Two completely different things.

I am seeing Penn St at #32 and Iowa at #58 in total defense, but it's in the same ballpark.

Both teams are really struggling offensively. Part of it was Drew Tate's injury. Part of it is that Penn St's offense completely sucks this year. I thought both teams would be pretty good this year, but when you can only muster 3 points against Wisconsin like Penn St just did, and when you lose at home to Northwestern like Iowas just did, there are big problems with your teams. Neither are very good, both are disappointing.

here is where you and i will agree to disagree...

STATISTICALLY hawaii has the best offense in the country... i will obviously concede this because numbers don't lie

TALENT WISE... i give it to OSU easily over hawaii

saying this however... then every year in all of college basketball grinell has the best offense...

Nope. That sounds like running up the score. :banana:

Teams try to show sportsmanship by running the ball up the middle to kill clock so the game will end and no one gets hurt at the end of the game. It would be a shame is someone ended their career because Tressell needed to cover the spread.

I don't agree. There is no substitute for game experience. When a key player goes down it is nice to know that their backup will not be coming in to play their first play when the game is on the line.

Offense- Hawaii

Defense- Michigan

OSU has a lot of firepower on offense, but, i think Hawaii, WVU, and Louisville are more capable of putting up points. Hawaii has faced a suckass schedule, but, you can't argue with those incredible stats.

If you ever seen Michigan's defense play(with the exception of the BSU game, which had second stringers in) there would be no question who has the best defense. 30 rushing yards a game?? Are you kidding me, how can you argue against that??? I would say the next few are Florida, Auburn, LSU, VT, OSU, and maybe even Rutgers :thumbsdown: .

Tressel running up the score??? This is too funny. He is known around the country for SITTING on leads like no other coach, and it's been that way for years. Why don't you look and see how many times Ohio State has thrown the ball in the second half this year, and how many of those passes were the 2nd stringers playing? Unbelievable how some people distort the truth just so they can make themselves look right.

but when you can only muster 3 points against Wisconsin like Penn St just did there are big problems with your teams.

Badgers crushed Hawaii 41-24 in Hawaii. Hawaii scored a scrubtime TD with 11 second left to make it that close.

Badger defense is better this year than last.

Penn state has an excellent defense; and i think that's what we're talking about.

If Hawaii had to play Wisconsin, Osu, michigan, penn state, iowa, etc. there stats would be much, much different.

Sat, Sep 2 Hawaii at Alabama L 17-25

Sat, Sep 23 at (25) Boise State L 34-41

Alabama is 9th in the SEC at 2-4.

Sat, Sep 9 at (2) Texas W 24-7

Sat, Sep 23 (24) Penn State W 28-6

Sat, Sep 30 at (13) Iowa W 38-17

wow against legit opponents Hawaii managed to put 34 on Boise State...of course each of the last 3 weeks Boise gave up at

least 3 tds each to New Mexico state, Idaho and Fresno. :P :banana:

I will admit, OSU has probably the most talented offense in the league, but, they don't have the best defense, yes, i have watched them play. Michigan has kinda weak DBs(Though, Leon Hall is the best CB in the nation), but, they have the best LBs and d-line in the country. OSU probably has a top 5 defense, but, Michigan has the top defense, i thought that was obvious, but, i guess not?

Ohio state's offense is almost unstoppable.

Michigan's defense is just sick.

That is going to be a helluva game when they meet.

I think Texas has a strong offense as well. With a freshman QB they will get even better next year but this season, they would be no match for Ohio State (obviously since they all ready tried that) or Michigan. Those two are the best in college football and the #3 team is miles away in my opinion.

Hawaii the best offense in football? :argue: :pointstosky: :headbanger: YEAH RIGHT! HAHAHAHAHA. If Hawaii actually played real opponents they wouldnt be anywhere near the top 25 in offense. Give OSU or Michigan (or any of the other top ten teams) the Hawaii schedule and they would score 50 every week.

I don't know how this thread devolved into an Ohio St offense vs Hawaii offense pissing contest. The fact is Ohio St is ranked #13 in scoring offense, #21 in total offense. Hawaii is #1 in both categories. Simply put, Ohio St is not even a top 10 offense.

Hawaii gains 8.4 yards per play vs teams that allow 6.2 yards per play.

Ohio St gains 6.2 yards per play vs teams that allow 5.3 yards per play.

Those statistics factor in strength of schedule. And even though Ohio St has played slightly tougher defenses, Hawaii has been very much more efficient with their offense by comparison. I simply can't provide any more blatant proof than that. If you want to ignore facts, so be it.

I follow every single college team in every single conference. When you bet over 35 college football games a week, you have to do your homework. I have to chalk up this thread simply to lack of knowledge of teams outside of the nationally hyped teams and conferences. Or simply prejudice against facts. Sure, Ohio St scored 28 points against a good Penn St defense. The problem is Ohio St only scored 14 offensive points in that game; not exactly a good offensive effort. Facts. Sure, Alabama is 2-4, but still have the #15 defense in the country, and should have beaten Florida and Arkansas if not for collapses in those games. But I digress.

Look, this is the same mindset at the time of March Madness. There is outrage that a 25-3 team from a mid major gets an at large bid over a mediocre team from the Big Ten or ACC. How can that be? It's a disgrace. They played a lousy schedule. Then you see teams like George Mason last year, and in years past, Kent St and Gonzage making runs into the Elite Eight. Why? It's parity, stupid. Low profile teams are getting TV exposure and recruiting better. The top schools are losing their best players early to the NFL and NBA. And mid major conferences like the MAC, and WAC, and Mountain West, and Conference USA continue to compete with and even beat teams from the Big Ten, Big East, Big Twelve, SEC, ACC, Big East, every single year. Yes, these teams can compete. Has everyone already forgotten how Ball St hung with Michigan? And this is why the BCS conferences locked in so many bids into so many bowl games. They saw that the mid majors were catching up quickly, so they locked in deals where the 4th place team in their conference will go to that bowl, and their 6th place team is locked in over there. Meanwhile, you get 8 wins teams out of BCS conferences locked out, even if they are better. And people scoff at these outside teams. Despite an excellent Utah team blowing out Big East champ Pitt a couple of years ago. And Boise St playing Louisville down to the last play of the game. Fresno St nearly beat USC last year. Hawaii would be a bowl team if the played in the Big Ten. Again, the Big Ten is having a down year this year. Most of the teams in that conference are strugglingly mightily, outside of Ohio St, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

I follow college football very closely, every year. Hawaii is the best offensive team I have seen in my lifetime. And it's a disgrace that they weren't even a choice in this poll for best offense. I am not talking about best team. I am simply focusing on one single thing. Offense. Nothing more, nothing less.

Don't be so close minded people. There are teams that exist beyond the BCS conferences. And some of them are very good teams. And have unstoppable offenses.

I will admit, OSU has probably the most talented offense in the league, but, they don't have the best defense, yes, i have watched them play. Michigan has kinda weak DBs(Though, Leon Hall is the best CB in the nation), but, they have the best LBs and d-line in the country. OSU probably has a top 5 defense, but, Michigan has the top defense, i thought that was obvious, but, i guess not?

Michigan probably has the best D-Line in college football but like you said they have some issues in the secondary. I think that is why they are not the clear cut #1 defense. They are up there but I am not so sure that they are the best. If they can shut down OSU's WRs I would say that they have the best D.