Sign in to follow this  
t.j

Best offense/defense in college football?

Best offense and defense in college football?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which school has the best offense in college football?

• Boise
    • Cal
    • Louisville
    • Michigan
    • Notre Dame
    • Ohio State
    • Southern California
    • Texas
    • West Virginia
    • other (specify)
  2. 2. Which school has the best defense in college football?

• Auburn
    • Florida
    • LSU
    • Michigan
    • Ohio State
    • Pitt
    • Rutgers
    • Virginia Tech
    • Wisconsin
    • other (specify)

Hawaii gains 8.4 yards per play vs teams that allow 6.2 yards per play.

Ohio St gains 6.2 yards per play vs teams that allow 5.3 yards per play.

Right hawaii plays teams that allow 6.2 yards per play against other crapass teams. You cant compare the Hawaii team with the OSU team. It makes no sense. Do you honestly think Hawaii would average 8.2 yards per play against REAL teams. Against OSU's schedule? Yeah right. You are living in fantasy land. :mad:

Hawaii wouldn't have a top 40 offense if they were in the Big 10.

Right hawaii plays teams that allow 6.2 yards per play against other crapass teams. You cant compare the Hawaii team with the OSU team. It makes no sense. Do you honestly think Hawaii would average 8.2 yards per play against REAL teams. Against OSU's schedule? Yeah right. You are living in fantasy land. :cry:

Hawaii wouldn't have a top 40 offense if they were in the Big 10.

By that logic if a HS team could average 8.0 yds/pg against teams that allow 5.5 yds/pg they would be the best offense in college football.

I don't know how this thread devolved into an Ohio St offense vs Hawaii offense pissing contest. The fact is Ohio St is ranked #13 in scoring offense, #21 in total offense. Hawaii is #1 in both categories. Simply put, Ohio St is not even a top 10 offense.

Those statistics factor in strength of schedule. And even though Ohio St has played slightly tougher defenses, Hawaii has been very much more efficient with their offense by comparison. I simply can't provide any more blatant proof than that. If you want to ignore facts, so be it.

as I asked before...how's Timmy Chang doing? bagging groceries? He sure was awesome as the great qb for high-scoring hawaii.

Either the NFL is prejudice against them or they look at teams like this and their crap competition and roll their eyes. Hmmmm I'm

gonna have to go with the crap competition theory. Tell you what, after the Michigan game, have Hawaii come and play in the Horseshoe.

It'll be ohhhh about 30 degrees, possible snow flurries, muddy torn up field. I'll be sure to get a ticket so that I can watch them put

up 50 points on us. :cry: :doh: :mad: :lol:

as I asked before...how's Timmy Chang doing? bagging groceries? He sure was awesome as the great qb for high-scoring hawaii.

Either the NFL is prejudice against them or they look at teams like this and their crap competition and roll their eyes. Hmmmm I'm

gonna have to go with the crap competition theory. Tell you what, after the Michigan game, have Hawaii come and play in the Horseshoe.

It'll be ohhhh about 30 degrees, possible snow flurries, muddy torn up field. I'll be sure to get a ticket so that I can watch them put

up 50 points on us. :wall: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OSU is replacing the field again for the Michigan game. They just got a new field a few games ago but it is already crap.

Michigan probably has the best D-Line in college football but like you said they have some issues in the secondary. I think that is why they are not the clear cut #1 defense. They are up there but I am not so sure that they are the best. If they can shut down OSU's WRs I would say that they have the best D.

Well, Leon Hall is an all american CB, other than that, they have solid DBs, but, not top knotch DBs. The only reason people can get some passing yards on them is because all they do is pass because they can't run. I think the DBs are not as mediocre as people think, it's just if teams are doing nothing but passing, they are bound to complete a few passes.

But, they have possibly 4 first rounders on defense in Leon Hall, Prescott Burgess, LaMarr Woodley, and Alan Branch, in fact, they could all be top 15 picks, they are all among the top prospects at their positions. Their speed it just nuts on defense.

One last thought, and I'll try to leave this thread alone, as my arguing isn't going to convince anyone.

This includes passing and rushing. Which team is more efficient? Obviously, I think Hawaii is more impressive.

Using this argument as a standalone is flawed, for several reasons:

1. Ohio State's opponents generally face better competition, which drives up the yards per play that Ohio State's opponents allow.

2. Hawaii throws the ball 68% of the time, Ohio State throws the ball 40% of the time. Passing pretty much always yields more yards per play, even if it doesn't make for an overall more effective offense.

3. Ohio State turns the ball over 1.1 times per game, Hawaii turns the ball over 1.89 times per game. And obviously the Buckeyes are taking care of the ball against tougher competition.

Look, I am sure Hawaii could rack up yardage against anyone, as well as anyone. But if you need to win a game against a quality opponent, Ohio State's offense is the better one to have.

Interesting that Michigan didn't get any votes for best offense. Michigan is best in the country with 0.9 giveaways per game. Michigan also is #13 in rushing yards per game, at 193 ypg. The only top-10 team with more rushing yards per game is Louisville, #10 at 203 ypg. (Louisville averages 1.88 giveaways per game)

Interesting that Michigan didn't get any votes for best offense. Michigan is best in the country with 0.9 giveaways per game. Michigan also is #13 in rushing yards per game, at 193 ypg. The only top-10 team with more rushing yards per game is Louisville, #10 at 203 ypg. (Louisville averages 1.88 giveaways per game)

If Manningham hadn't gotten injured and made them one dimensional for the most part, they would be among the top offenses in the country. With Mario in there, they are 10x more explosive and makes them the most balanced team in the country on offense. Though, he was in there last week, i am guessing he wasn't in there all the time and they just wanted to have him run his routes and not get hit too often.

The skinny on Colt Brennen:

Colt Brennen stats and video

(video of CB near top of stat poster - choppy at first - allow to buffer)

:D Pretty cool video. Reminds me of watching Arena Football, he makes it look so easy.

Hawaii the best offense in football? :banana: :D :P YEAH RIGHT! HAHAHAHAHA. If Hawaii actually played real opponents they wouldnt be anywhere near the top 25 in offense. Give OSU or Michigan (or any of the other top ten teams) the Hawaii schedule and they would score 50 every week.

Well, the last I looked, Hawaii is playing Hawaii's schedule...and averaging 47+ points a game. What is your point? So, any top ten teams could average 3 more points a game and still not be considered an offensive machine by playing Hawaii's schedule? If that is the case, they shouldn't be a top ten team anyways, not with that kind of SOS, look at Boise State for instance. :doh: :D

lol crassic. scoring 61 points against an always tough 3-7 louisiana tech lol. and La Tech was coming

off their biggest win of the season over 3-7 North Texor. I am just shocked that La Tech would give up

that many points because they've only given up 40+ in more than half their games. :banana:

lol crassic. scoring 61 points against an always tough 3-7 louisiana tech lol. and La Tech was coming

off their biggest win of the season over 3-7 North Texor. I am just shocked that La Tech would give up

that many points because they've only given up 40+ in more than half their games. :wall:

Ohio St wins 54-10 over an awful 3-8 Northwestern, converting 4 turnovers and a blocked punt into 5 TDs. Obviously, the defense is making it easy for the offense. Misleading point total.

Hawaii piles up 618 total yards and 61 points, with the backup players in for the whole 4th quarter.

Hawaii is still the #1 offense in football, steadily pulling away from everyone else.

The skinny on Colt Brennen:

Colt Brennen stats and video

(video of CB near top of stat poster - choppy at first - allow to buffer)

I guess since he and they are soooo great :cry: that you goofs wouldn't mind making a bored bet that he

will get drafted ahead of Brady and Troy next year. :wall:

I guess since he and they are soooo great :cry: that you goofs wouldn't mind making a bored bet that he

will get drafted ahead of Brady and Troy next year. :wall:

Colt Brennan has 43 touchdown passes for the season and needs just 11 TD passes to tie the NCAA record of 54 set by Houston's David Klingler in 1990. He has four games left in the season, including the Hawaii Bowl.

That is impressive, no matter how you spin it.

Also, he is a junior. There is a good chance he returns next year so he can win the Heisman. Unfortunately, he was too far off the radar at the beginning of this year to win it. But he is probably going to get invited for the presentation as a finalist.

Colt Brennan has 43 touchdown passes for the season and needs just 11 TD passes to tie the NCAA record of 54 set by Houston's David Klingler in 1990. He has four games left in the season, including the Hawaii Bowl.

That is impressive, no matter how you spin it.

Also, he is a junior. There is a good chance he returns next year so he can win the Heisman. Unfortunately, he was too far off the radar at the beginning of this year to win it. But he is probably going to get invited for the presentation as a finalist.

:cry: HTH :wall:

you peeps crack me up...but you're right,

HE COULD BE THE NEXT KLINGLER!!!! hahahahahhaha

:lol: HTH :doh:

you peeps crack me up...but you're right,

HE COULD BE THE NEXT KLINGLER!!!! hahahahahhaha

Why are you so dense in understanding the point of this thread: The best offense in college football THIS YEAR?

You continue to refer to a Hawaii QB from a couple of years ago. That is completely irrelevant. That was a whole different group of players. Success at the college level does not equate to success at the NFL level, and again is irrelevant to this discussion. This whole debate is based on right now, not about future NFL success. Hawaii is putting up 60+ points a game in 4 of the last 5, played without their starting RB this week, and rested their starters after 3 quarters.

Hawaii is 8-2 and should be ranked this week, but I don't know if the voters are still clueless about this team. Hawaii has upcoming games with San Jose St, Purdue and Oregon St. San Jose and Oregon St are bowl eligible, and most likely will play in the postseason. Purdue is one of those "tough" Big Ten teams. Let's see how Hawaii does in those 3 games, and in Hawaii's bowl game.

I would like to see how they produce vs. Purdue and OSU, two halfway decent teams. However, you are not a fan of college football if yo ucan't appreciate what Colt and the Hawaii offense is doing. 3 strait games over 60 points?!?!?! That is the most rediculously insane thing i have ever heard, i don't care who they were facing.

Simply put...I watch every game possible with the ESPN College game package and splitscreens. It allows me to see most games people cant (highlights of plays on Sportscenter dont count)

I would advise watching a Hawaii game before rushing to judgement that its entirely their competition that allows them to score so many points. You will see the playmakers they have on this offense are as good as many of the Big 10 players and the system June Jones established is a well oiled machine for athletic players, which Hawaii has many of.

For all of us to put a rest to this, we would have to see Hawaii play on OSU, UM, or LSU...but dont think for a second they couldnt possibly hang a 28+ spot on those teams. Watch them play!

Well, Leon Hall is an all american CB, other than that, they have solid DBs, but, not top knotch DBs. The only reason people can get some passing yards on them is because all they do is pass because they can't run. I think the DBs are not as mediocre as people think, it's just if teams are doing nothing but passing, they are bound to complete a few passes.

But, they have possibly 4 first rounders on defense in Leon Hall, Prescott Burgess, LaMarr Woodley, and Alan Branch, in fact, they could all be top 15 picks, they are all among the top prospects at their positions. Their speed it just nuts on defense.

I am a Michigan season ticket holder and let me tell you that you forgot Senior Davis Harris. 6-2 242 MLB leads the team in tackles. Over the last 4 weeks he has arguably been our best defender. He brings serious wood. He is blowing up fullbacks, just wrecking them and causing them to fall over and onto the halfback. Also, he is a really dirty player and will take cheap shots on anybody. He will take a 15 yarder early, if he gets a open shot on a QB's head. Nasty man.

I feel Michigan's D is better then Ohio States in 05-6. Iowa QB Drew Tate said it was the best defense he has ever faced. He said their speed and strength was unbearable. MSU QB Drew Stanton said it was the best he had every played against. Hands down.

Welllll weellllll weelllllllllllll.....the discussion is over.

opposing team: ranked #2

opposing defense: 2nd best in country

yards: 520

Troy Heisman Smith: 318yds 4tds 1int

rushing yards: 202 2tds

best defense: see the final score.

witnessed by: everybody.

:ninja: :banana: :lol:

Discuss.

P.S. No offense intended to anyone on the poll choices. I went basically off points scored/allowed and turnovers lost/forced.

Obviously Florida owns both the best offense and defense. They scored 62 against Western Carolina A&T Tech and shut them out, too.

Let's check out some of the teams Ohio St played this year: Northern Illinois, Cincinnati, Bowling Green, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota. Are any of these teams going to a bowl this year? Hawaii will have played as many as 5 bowl teams by the time the year ends, pending San Jose St and Oregon St. Boise St is a BCS team this year, as they are going to go undefeated, and Hawaii put up 500 yards and 34 points on them.

And Ohio St hasn't scored more than 44 in any game this year. Hawaii is AVERAGING more than 47 per game. There is no way Ohio St can be considered the equal of Hawaii offensively, especially with Ohio St weak ass schedule.

Alabama is ranked #15 in total defense. Boise St is ranked #33 in total defense.

Look, if you guys want to ignore stats, then fine. Make it subjective. But the math says Hawaii is the number #1 offense, and they have played some decent teams. The last couple of weeks, they have been scary. Against Idaho, they scored a TD on every single possesion, except for the last possession of the game, when they ran out the clock. This offense is clicking unbelievably right now. Efficiently scary.

I understand you're probably just arguing for the heck of it, but even Big 10 cellar teams could probably hang with Hawaii's offense.

Welllll weellllll weelllllllllllll.....the discussion is over.

opposing team: ranked #2

opposing defense: 2nd best in country

yards: 520

Troy Heisman Smith: 318yds 4tds 1int

rushing yards: 202 2tds

best defense: see the final score.

witnessed by: everybody.

:unsure: :unsure: :ninja:

True...but Ohio State ran a very similar offense to what Hawaii runs... and the O-line gave Troy Smith (who I hope gets Heismann) enough time to distribute the ball to the open man, Hawaii's staple style. Hawaii scored over 50 AGAIN tonight!! before you say that it was San Jose State, let me say that the SJSU D (while obvioulsy not Big 10 caliber) held a solid Boise State offense to 23 points last week. Gives you an idea of the talent of the Hawaii offense.

Dont bother responding until you guys watch a Hawaii game....im not some die hard Hawaii fan but you really dont know until you see their talent.. bottom line. I get to see Ohio State every week as well. Watch Hawaii, then come back with an HONEST evaluation..

For what its worth...The Ohio State/Michigan game was jsut a flat out shootout and the D's obviously did not determine anything from the get go. So defensive stats for either team for this game should be disregarded...

No way hawaii puts up 42 against mich D... This is like i said earlier... "statistically" hawaii is the best offense in the country. If you set up some crazy whack job experiment where you had both hawaii and ohio st's offense and pit them against the same D's i would wager osu would score more points

Ho Hum. Hawaii put up 568 total offense, 54 points.

San Jose St just held top 15 offense Boise St to 23 points last week. Before you rip this fact, check the stupid poll at the start of this thread. Yep, Boise St is there. 23 points vs San Jose St. And Hawaii just gashed this team for 54.

Colt Brennan has 48 TD passes and has 3 games to break the all time NCAA record for TD passes in a season

Those that continue to take shots at Hawaii's offense have a near child like understanding of the game of college football, much like a 5 year old sitting in on a lecture about calculus and then trying to explain what he just heard. Kill yourselves before you become a danger to society.

We might be witnessing the greatest offense in college football history before this season is over, and you mouthbreathing water heads continue to rip them. Truly sad, when you think about it.

Ho Hum. Hawaii put up 568 total offense, 54 points.

no doubt they'd do better against michigan

:lol: :( I crack me up! :( :lol:

The 24 votes for Michigan and Ohio State's defenses aren't looking as good after yesterday.

Hawaii puts up 42 points and 645 net yards and beat one of those "tough" Big Ten teams that are headed to a bowl game, Purdue. That is the second most points Purdue has given up all year, as they gave up 47 to Iowa. Now, can we all agree about the greatness that is the Hawaii offense? How much more evidence do we need? Yeah, Hawaii couldn't compete in the Big Ten. Dumbasses.

On a side note, Hawaii is now ranked, and moving up. Colt Brennan is three shy of the NCAA TD passes in one season record, with two games to go: Oregon St and the Hawaii Bowl. If he isn't in the top 5 for Heisman, it will be a disgrace.

Hawaii puts up 42 points and 645 net yards and beat one of those "tough" Big Ten teams that are headed to a bowl game, Purdue. That is the second most points Purdue has given up all year, as they gave up 47 to Iowa. Now, can we all agree about the greatness that is the Hawaii offense? How much more evidence do we need? Yeah, Hawaii couldn't compete in the Big Ten. Dumbasses.

On a side note, Hawaii is now ranked, and moving up. Colt Brennan is three shy of the NCAA TD passes in one season record, with two games to go: Oregon St and the Hawaii Bowl. If he isn't in the top 5 for Heisman, it will be a disgrace.

you are talking shiot after beating purdue...............LOL :mad: :lol: :D

you are talking shiot after beating purdue...............LOL :mad: :lol: :D

Because during the course of this thread, there were several statements made of Hawaii's team, and offense, not being able to compete against much superior teams from much superior conferences, like the Big 10. Not only can they compete, they just beat a Big Ten team that is headed for a bowl game. And scored 42 points.

So, it's a clear cut sign that Hawaii is not a joke, like some posters said in this thread.

Hawaii is the best offensive team in college football that I have seen in my lifetime. As observers of this team will attest: It's not a matter if Hawaii will score on every single drive, but how quickly.

Because during the course of this thread, there were several statements made of Hawaii's team, and offense, not being able to compete against much superior teams from much superior conferences, like the Big 10. Not only can they compete, they just beat a Big Ten team that is headed for a bowl game. And scored 42 points.

So, it's a clear cut sign that Hawaii is not a joke, like some posters said in this thread.

Hawaii is the best offensive team in college football that I have seen in my lifetime. As observers of this team will attest: It's not a matter if Hawaii will score on every single drive, but how quickly.

I think they would have had no problem competing this year in the big ten. Now over the long haul, that remains to be seen. As far as being best offensive team, I would prob disagree. I think OSU has earned the right to that.

I think they would have had no problem competing this year in the big ten. Now over the long haul, that remains to be seen. As far as being best offensive team, I would prob disagree. I think OSU has earned the right to that.

Your rational logic probably does not belong in this thread of non stop pissing contests by all participants.

So, beat it.

fock you t.j....you know Tennessee should be in both categories :banana:

Hawaii's defense > Tennessee's defense

I'm not saying that Hawaii doesn't have a great offense. But I'm obligated to note here that Hawaii failed to score on 5 drives against Purdue (which does not count running out the clock at the end of the game). So I'm gonna have to call BS on this one.

I'm not saying that Hawaii doesn't have a great offense. But I'm obligated to note here that Hawaii failed to score on 5 drives against Purdue (which does not count running out the clock at the end of the game). So I'm gonna have to call BS on this one.

That was meant in a figurative sense, rather than literal, where every time Hawaii touches the ball, a viewer assumes they will score, where the only mystery is how long it will take. I didn't expect them to do that vs Purdue.

However, Hawaii has done that this year, scored a TD on every single possesion except for the final one of the game, where they ran out the clock.

Against Purdue, on their second possession, Hawaii went for it on 4th and goal from the 3 and didn't make it. And turned it over a couple of times, so they surely didn't score every possession. But 645 yards and 42 points isn't too shabby.

If it was true in a literal sense, that would mean something. Figuratively, Hawaii isn't the only offense where the viewer pretty much assumes they are going to score whenever they get the ball.