Sign in to follow this  
identikit

Irvin disses Romo...

If you are so "gifted as an athlete", what the hell are you doing on this board? Just sayin...

Just the man trying to keep a brother down.

Tony Romo is Italian...and everyone knows Italians are black/African American from the waist down :thumbsup: ....hence Romo's scrambling ability...

Irvin is an idiot...and yes there is a double standard....the differnce is white people for the most part don't give a sh!t when stuff like this happens...but "some" blacks use it as a political tool when they are the so called victims....

If you are so "gifted as an athlete", what the hell are you doing on this board? Just sayin...

i can't be an athlete and be on this board........sorry i didn't know......

Same ol crap. If you're white, you get lambasted, if you're black, you can make all the race jokes you want.

It's a joke.

i can't be an athlete and be on this board........sorry i didn't know......

Captain Gonzalez? :thumbsup:

You are an idiot.

The point is... by current standards... it is ABSOLUTELY not acceptable for white people to say it.

Go ask Al Campanis, Jimmy Snyder and (to a lesser extent) Rush Limbaugh how it worked out for them.

"Look at that monkey run!!!" - Howard Cosell

an idiot? what was so idiotic about what i said? MY POINT IS there is a big difference between what each said. i did at no point bring in Al Campanis, Jimmy Snyder, nor Rush Limbaugh. They are different cases. i would make an argument for what Limbaugh said as a much less offensive than what Richards said. I was not talking about what was acceptable and what was not, merely the the degree of 'racism' in their remeards.

YOU MY FRIEND APPEAR TO BE AN IDIOT.

No one in their right mind should compare Richards' racial tirade to Irvin's comments. The only problem I have is that back in the day, Jimmy "The Greek' Snyder made a similar comment about blacks being superior athletes because of their breeding, and his career was ruined. So either nothing should have happened to both (which did not happen for Jimmy, but should have), or both should have been fired. I think too many people (especially the media) are just way too P.C. and sensitive in all aspects of life.

Captain Gonzalez? :thumbsup:

who told you?

No one in their right mind should compare Richards' racial tirade to Irvin's comments. The only problem I have is that back in the day, Jimmy "The Greek' Snyder made a similar comment about blacks being superior athletes because of their breeding, and his career was ruined. So either nothing should have happened to both (which did not happen for Jimmy, but should have), or both should have been fired. I think too many people (especially the media) are just way too P.C. and sensitive in all aspects of life.

perfectly stated.....i also believe that what Snyder said should not have cost him his job.....Anaheim take notes

an idiot? what was so idiotic about what i said? MY POINT IS there is a big difference between what each said. i did at no point bring in Al Campanis, Jimmy Snyder, nor Rush Limbaugh. They are different cases. i would make an argument for what Limbaugh said as a much less offensive than what Richards said. I was not talking about what was acceptable and what was not, merely the the degree of 'racism' in their remeards.

YOU MY FRIEND APPEAR TO BE AN IDIOT.

I agree that there is a big differene between what they said... that is also completely not the point.

You said:

"i have went my entire life hearing constant reminders from white people that the reason i am gifted as an athlete is due to having african heritage. so it is ok for white people do say it ALL THE TIME but not for a black man?"

The use of the caps on "ALL THE TIME" is particularly effective.

The problem is... it is OBVIOUSLY not okay for white people to say things like that "ALL THE TIME". In fact... it is pretty much exactly the opposite.

What you're basically saying is that there is a double standard that white people can say whatever they want, but when a black man says something similar, all the white pople freak out.

You couldn't possibly be more wrong.

Not that it should make a difference, but Irvin's comments were made on the Dan Patrick show on ESPN radio. I believe that Rush and Jimmy the Greek and Cosell's comments were made on nation wide TV broadcasts.

Comparison- if Janet Jackson's boobie popped out during her concert as opposed to the Super Bowl halftime show, we get different reactions.

How many people would have even known about Irvin's ignorant comments had they not been posted on the board?

In defense of Howard Cosell, he called more than 1 player a monkey while he was in the booth... and the other guy was white.

I agree that there is a big differene between what they said... that is also completely not the point.

You said:

"i have went my entire life hearing constant reminders from white people that the reason i am gifted as an athlete is due to having african heritage. so it is ok for white people do say it ALL THE TIME but not for a black man?"

The use of the caps on "ALL THE TIME" is particularly effective.

The problem is... it is OBVIOUSLY not okay for white people to say things like that "ALL THE TIME". In fact... it is pretty much exactly the opposite.

What you're basically saying is that there is a double standard that white people can say whatever they want, but when a black man says something similar, all the white pople freak out.

You couldn't possibly be more wrong.

unfortunately you appear to have jumped to an incorrect conclusion, hence why calling me an idiot makes you look like you lack sense. i am saying that in today's society, this stuff happens ALL THE TIME, with and the only time it is an issue is when it is from the media....white/black/purple/pink.

it shouldn't be okay for people to say stuff like that ever but, again back to my point, there is a difference in saying someone is fast cause they have black heritage and calling someone a 'monkey' or making references to hanging from trees.

what you are interpreting i am saying is ridiculous as there is far more public outrage when a white person says something of this nature.

get your business straight.

Not that it should make a difference, but Irvin's comments were made on the Dan Patrick show on ESPN radio. I believe that Rush and Jimmy the Greek and Cosell's comments were made on nation wide TV broadcasts.

Comparison- if Janet Jackson's boobie popped out during her concert as opposed to the Super Bowl halftime show, we get different reactions.

How many people would have even known about Irvin's ignorant comments had they not been posted on the board?

In defense of Howard Cosell, he called more than 1 player a monkey while he was in the booth... and the other guy was white.

Snyder's comments were made when he was interrupted at dinner by a reporter... after he had reportedly had a few glasses of wine.

That's hardly "national TV".

And... correct me if I'm wrong, but Cosell's 'comment' barely raised a reaction, and did not cost him his job.

what you are interpreting i am saying is ridiculous as there is far more public outrage when a white person says something of this nature.

get your business straight.

I'm not 'interpreting' anything.

You said it. Black and white... right there.

"so it is ok for white people do say it ALL THE TIME but not for a black man?"

You're either wrong, or can't express yourself clearly... either way doesn't look good for you.

how was i to know that he said this? i havent listened to anything ESPN has had to say in years....

worst tv crew ever...ill turn back to espn when chris berman has the big heart attack...

face it, this is our america.

say what you want about other races but say something about the black race and all hell breaks loose. Facts are facts and this is what it is anymore.

As long as there are "<insert race here> only" clubs, stations, shows, groups, etc etc there will always be this type of crap happening.

"so it is ok for white people do say it ALL THE TIME but not for a black man?"

You're either wrong, or can't express yourself clearly... either way doesn't look good for you.

i am saying it is wrong all together but the EXAMPLE i used in my own life was why i chose that statement. To be honest with you, i found what you said after another board member asked about why i was on this board and you said "Just the man trying to keep a brother down" extremely offensive....... much more than what irvin or limbaugh had to say...........

And... correct me if I'm wrong, but Cosell's 'comment' barely raised a reaction, and did not cost him his job.

I'm not 'interpreting' anything.

This is from Wikipedia

Cosell drew criticism during one Monday Night Football telecast in September 1983, for calling a wide receiver for the Washington Redskins, Alvin Garrett, a "little monkey." While some saw the term as having a racial connotation, many who knew Cosell were quick to point out that he used this term routinely in an approving way to describe quicker, smaller players of all ethnicities. Among the evidence to support this claim is video footage of a 1972 preseason game, between the New York Giants and the Kansas City Chiefs, that features Cosell referring to Mike Adamle, a 5-foot-9-inch, 197-pound Caucasian, as a "little monkey."

Perhaps due to the strain of this controversy, Cosell left Monday Night Football shortly before the start of the 1984 NFL season, claiming that the NFL had "become a stagnant bore."

SO I corrected you being wrong.

You were correct about Snyder, though...

"This is ridiculous..........comparing irvin's comments to micheal richards rant??? VERY VERY DIFFERENT MY FRIENDS!!!"

Of course they are different. Two different people in two different circumstances. But the underlying issue, (circumstances aside) is that both of these men show an insensitvity to another race. The point being made in this thred (i think) is not to compare and contrast these two specific occurances but to compare and contrast the RESULT of them.

Case one: A white man (richards) makes a racially insensitive remark to/about a black man and comes under immediate media scrutiny and is forced to make a bullshit apology on national TV (i think it was letteman) and basically is now 'untouchable.

Case two: A black man (Irvin) makes a racially insensitive remark to/about a white man and I didn't hear a thing about it except for in this thread. I am watching ESPN right now and there is no mention of it. I haven't seen these remarks on any media outlets, no video of it on youTUBE, etc.

That is the point. reverse the circumstances, make it Dave Chapelle cursing out a white guy, calling him cracker or whatever, and its part of his act. No biggie. Make it chris berman on sportcenter commenting that some white guy must have 'some black' in them because of their ability to dunk. what do you think would happen

i am saying it is wrong all together but the EXAMPLE i used in my own life was why i chose that statement. To be honest with you, i found what you said after another board member asked about why i was on this board and you said "Just the man trying to keep a brother down" extremely offensive....... much more than what irvin or limbaugh had to say...........

Well... you didin't say "Why is it okay for my buddies/coaches/teammates/etc to say that to me?"

You said, "it is ok for white people do say it ALL THE TIME".

Those are pretty different things. I can only work with what you're giving me here... I'm not a mind reader... say what you mean, and mean what you say.

Also... I'm very sorry if my comment offended you. That was wrong of me and I apologize. It was uncalled for and cruel. :pointstosky:

Ha ha ha...

Man... I couldn't give a flying f-ck if that offended you. In fact... it's funnier that it did.

Well... you didin't say "Why is it okay for my buddies/coaches/teammates/etc to say that to me?"

You said, "it is ok for white people do say it ALL THE TIME".

Those are pretty different things. I can only work with what you're giving me here... I'm not a mind reader... say what you mean, and mean what you say.

Also... I'm very sorry if my comment offended you. That was wrong of me and I apologize. It was uncalled for and cruel. :pointstosky:

Ha ha ha...

Man... I couldn't give a flying f-ck if that offended you. In fact... it's funnier that it did.

stuff like this, is the issue right before our eyes. this is the stuff i see (especially in the usa) that creates the issues we have before us. unfortunately a large percentage of our western society has some controversial racial beliefs, and this guy is amongst the worst. from here on out you can play the role of the racist advocate on this board. congratulations. enjoy your miserable, average life......karma is a nasty thing.

Furioushead... I stand corrected.

I didn't know/remember that Cosell left the booth right after that. Not sure that it's correlated, but it certainly looks it.

Also... for reference... Al Campanis did make his comments about the buoancy of blacks on National TV. 20/20 or Nightline I think... one of those dinosaur news shows.

stuff like this, is the issue right before our eyes. this is the stuff i see (especially in the usa) that creates the issues we have before us. unfortunately a large percentage of our western society has some controversial racial beliefs, and this guy is amongst the worst. from here on out you can play the role of the racist advocate on this board. congratulations. enjoy your miserable, average life......karma is a nasty thing.

Do you get your panties in a wad everytime Dave Chapelle says '######'? How 'bout when Carlos Mencia says 'wetback'? What about when Jeff Foxworthy says 'redneck'? Hell... how 'bout when Chris Rock says 'cracker'?

If you allow other people's words to have an effect on your happiness... I feel sorry for you.

100% agree. Limbaugh's statement was much much more about the mainstream media's liberal biases than race. And Tom Jackson and the rest said nary a word at the time they were said. A week later, after all the tumult in the media, they branded his comments as racist when he wasn't there.

Id

:thumbsup:

That was the last time I watched ESPN's Pregame show.

I still don't know what Michael Richards did wrong anyway....... :thumbsup:

Furioushead... I stand corrected.

I didn't know/remember that Cosell left the booth right after that. Not sure that it's correlated, but it certainly looks it.

Also... for reference... Al Campanis did make his comments about the buoancy of blacks on National TV. 20/20 or Nightline I think... one of those dinosaur news shows.

Do you get your panties in a wad everytime Dave Chapelle says '######'? How 'bout when Carlos Mencia says 'wetback'? What about when Jeff Foxworthy says 'redneck'? Hell... how 'bout when Chris Rock says 'cracker'?

If you allow other people's words to have an effect on your happiness... I feel sorry for you.

i also find it offensive when chris rock says cracker........the others no. remember, i am just as 'white' as i am 'black'. what you said to me was taking a shot a my black heritage. Trying to keep a brother down.........like i am going to use that as an excuse for ACTUALLY being a world class athlete. You most likely don't believe you are a racist, but make no joke about it, you most certainly are.

I still don't know what Michael Richards did wrong anyway....... :mad:

Google "Michael Richards rant" and read some of the links. I read a USAToday article. Then, hop on over to YouTube and search for Michael Richards. But, dood, it's a jaw-dropper. Not a thanksgiving moment...

i also find it offensive when chris rock says cracker........the others no. remember, i am just as 'white' as i am 'black'. what you said to me was taking a shot a my black heritage. Trying to keep a brother down.........like i am going to use that as an excuse for ACTUALLY being a world class athlete. You most likely don't believe you are a racist, but make no joke about it, you most certainly are.

Technically... I didn't say it to you.

You can call me whatever you want... I couldn't care less.

However... the fact that you think it's okay for a black man to say 'n i g g e r', but it's not okay for him to say, 'cracker'... well... that makes YOU the racist. It's a double standard... and you're making the determination by the color of the speaker's skin.

THAT is racism.

This is ridiculous..........comparing irvin's comments to micheal richards rant??? VERY VERY DIFFERENT MY FRIENDS!!!

i am of mixed race (black and white) i am equally offended when people make remarks towards blacks or whites. don't get me wrong.....irvin shouldn't have said what he did, HOWEVER, i have went my entire life hearing constant reminders from white people that the reason i am gifted as an athlete is due to having african heritage. so it is ok for white people do say it ALL THE TIME but not for a black man? i do think irvin should have kept his mouth shut but what he said is being blown out of proportion.

micheal richards rant consisted of repeated use of the n-word.....bad enough on it's own, as well as a reference to 'hanging upside down from a tree'...........WAAYY MORE OFFENSIVE THAN IRVIN!

Apparently it IS NOT ok for white people to say it because they get fired for it. Blacks don't and that's a fact! :mad:

OBTW did everyone hear about good ol' Al Sharpton? He reufses to accept Kramer's apology because it was done on a white show, in a white studio, for a white audience!! Now had a white guy said the same thing about a black guy's apology.....you get the rest :P

Apparently it IS NOT ok for white people to say it because they get fired for it. Blacks don't and that's a fact! :unsure:

OBTW did everyone hear about good ol' Al Sharpton? He reufses to accept Kramer's apology because it was done on a white show, in a white studio, for a white audience!! Now had a white guy said the same thing about a black guy's apology.....you get the rest :cry:

Honestly...do we really need AL Sharpton's aceptance...that dude is overblown wanna be who is racist himself...I really could care less what that piece of sh!t thinks....

i here ya

There are no better words than what Tiki said about Irvin & Tom Jackson a few weeks ago..

"THOSE IDIOTS FROM ESPN...IDIOTS"

:thumbsdown:

White Guy ----> :argue: <----- Black Guy

Everyone else ----> :Mr-T:

OBTW did everyone hear about good ol' Al Sharpton? He reufses to accept Kramer's apology because it was done on a white show, in a white studio, for a white audience!! Now had a white guy said the same thing about a black guy's apology.....you get the rest :headbanger:

Funniest thing I have ever heard. And Sharpton calls Kramer a racist. How much more racist could Sharpton's response be? And no one called him on that? Tell me once again that there is no double standard. If you say there isn't enough, maybe someone will believe it.

folks talking up the double-std or screaming reverse-racism...

PATHETIC. oooh, you can't scream nig&&& to a black man's face. you're so repressed. cry on. irvin was joking. stop being the KKK PC police and get a grip. and the pc wave is already pretty dead guys. sorry to blow your self-eval as a trendsetter, but we've been living in the age of shock value for awhile. limbaugh wasn't joking about mcnabb and his comments came off as especially racially charged because he's known as an ultra-conservative political figure. and what the hell was he doing as an espn columnist to begin w/? irvin played football and won rings. limbaugh was a fat radio talkshow host and espn was already getting heat for hiring him. as for michael richards did you see the clip? he screamed nig&&& in anger at a guy over and over. he wasn't funny or joking in anyway. people trying to draw any parallel btw the 2 are STRETCHING reality to the point of absurdity.

Nothing will happen because, well, who the fock listens to Irvin? :headbanger:

also, one of his ancestors focked a retard

also, some folks (regardless of race) can say things that others can't.

i make slews of insensitive jokes about race/religion/whatever and i get away w/it. my cousin (who is also white) would get his a$$ kicked if he said the same things because he's not funny. irvin's personality as a guy that doesn't take himself or what he says too seriously plays a role in how folks view what he says. he was laughing and smiling throughout his comments (not at all like the michael richards tirade for anyone that's seen it.) as for the greek, he made a dated sounding comment in a more racially sensitive time. (it was ~20 years ago and not that far removed from the lynchings and segregation before it.) i don't think he should have been canned, but it was a more pc, walking on eggshells time then.

now folks are actually fighting racism/bigotry by pushing at it in humor. look at dave chappelle. look at the way gays have taken back the word "queer," an insult, and use it proudly to describe themselves now. michael irvin's jokes aren't contributing to racism at all and could even be construed as fighting it. i could say the same thing (as a white guy) and it would be totally acceptable because it would be clear that i wasn't serious and my intent was humor. but rush couldn't make the same joke, because it would come across like he really meant it. it's not a different std for white/black as much as it's about intent.

What a bunch of friggin crap. Everyone of these dudes are gazillionaires, they all should be fired and sent straight to hell w/out passing go or collecting $200.

One is a cracked out ESPN host, one is a cracked out radio host, one is an crazed modern day Gilligan, and one is bangin Jessica Simpson out of wedlock. :blink:

I think Romo has better things to do with his time (see above) than worry about Irvin's comments (he's not even a HOFer). The funny thing about a lot of jokes is there is a little truth them. Irvin's comments were said in jest on the DP show. If you've ever listened to it, it is nothing but satire and jest. Cosmo's comments were hate filled which warrants and apology IMO. I also think he should be known as Cosmo for the rest of his life. Crap starts spiraling when everyone starts chiming in and civil attorneys put their clients on the Nancy Grace Show speaking of social injustices and 2006 and blah, blah, blah.

"Can't we all just get a long", have a laugh, maybe a beer and change the subject to something more important? Did OJ do it and if he didn't how do you think he would do it?

Happy T-Day all and may God bless America and John Kitna because I need a win to get a first round bye in the playoffs.

Funniest thing I have ever heard. And Sharpton calls Kramer a racist. How much more racist could Sharpton's response be? And no one called him on that? Tell me once again that there is no double standard. If you say there isn't enough, maybe someone will believe it.

Then the assclown Sharpton goes on CNN and says that he can't accept the appology for a whole race, which I know he can't, but as soon as Kramer calls him the excuse, or reasoning, changes. :doh: Sharpton is one of the biggest racist out there, imo, but that will lable me one for thinking that, right?

As a middle aged white guy that don't give a rats ass what color a persons skin is, I find all this crap very frustrating and really do wish everyone would just shut the fock up and move on, we would all be alot better for it.

From the beginning of man there have been comments made by assclowns that some would find offensive, and many a war started over it. All people(white, black, yellow, pink, purple, wtfe), need to not get so freaked out when some ignorant fool makes a comment like Krammer, or Irving made, and just chalk it up to the individual being ignorant. Everyone freaking out is what keeps this crap going on and on and on and on.

I've met a$$holes of all races and assume I always will, fact of life, get over it.

Honestly...do we really need AL Sharpton's aceptance...that dude is overblown wanna be who is racist himself...I really could care less what that piece of sh!t thinks....

i here ya

You're absolutely 100% correct. We don't need Sharpton's acceptance; howver, the point is he can make as racist a statement as he wants and no one calls him on it. Why? Because of the double standard.