Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Spinoff: Is Styx the gayest band evah?

And, was Dennis DeYoung the biggest focking drama queen in the history of 'rock' music?

They were pretty much flippin' out by the time they got to the Mr. Roboto phase....

Not the gayest evah, but certainly in the top 20 on the merits of that focking tool Dennis DeYoung alone.

They flipped out with that stupid Paradise Theater album, and Mr. Roboto was just the cake icing.

"Too Much Time On My Hands" has to be one of the lamest, gayest rock songs ever.

Lady, when you're with me I'm smiling

Give me, whoa-oh, all your love

Your hands build me up when I'm sinking

Touch me and my troubles all fade

Definite top 10.

But what about Air Supply? Has to count as "a band". No denying that.

Definite top 10.

But what about Air Supply? Has to count as "a band". No denying that.

I think Air Supply would take the gaygold in the "Elevator music" category.

Some responses here:

Wham!, the Boy Bands, and Air Supply never purported (or tried) to be anything more than the pubescent girl fodder that they marketed to. Styx on the other hand, saw themselves as the second coming of "The Who" or something.

They wern't that bad pre 1977, Equinox was a good album, after they hit success with the Grand Illusion is when they sold the farm and indeed become one of the gayest bands ever. Journey is the gayest of all!

Anything with George Michael or Boy George have to be in the top 5.

Styx on the other hand, saw themselves as the second coming of "The Who" or something.

BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Anytyhing with George Michael or Boy George have to be in the top 5.

Agreed, I prolly shoulda said "gayest ROCK band evah". I mean, those guys didn't even TRY to be a rock band, hell, they didn't even try not to be gay. :cry: I focking hate boy George. I would pull a Matthew Shepherd on him in a nanosecond. My bad on the thread title.

Journey is the gayest of all!

Tough sell on that one. I mean, at least Journey didn't create a "Rock Opera" :dunno:

(with apologies to "The Who" who did it pretty well)

Tough sell on that one. I mean, at least Journey didn't create a "Rock Opera" :dunno:

(with apologies to "The Who" who did it pretty well)

Yeah but Journey "came out" with gems such as,

Who's Crying Now

Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin

Open Arms

Faithfully

I could go on....

I can see the difference in gayness between a "love song" gay band and a "rock" gay band.

That is an important distinction.

I do not see a group's image of itself as relevant. Gay is gay. Talking about how a group "sees itself" gets into intention, which is not really open to objective assessment and comparison.

But based on love songs being inherently gayer than rock songs, I'd have to say Styx must be a gayer band to overcome the less gay genre when compared to Air Supply and still achieve comparable overall gayness.

They wern't that bad pre 1977, Equinox was a good album, after they hit success with the Grand Illusion is when they sold the farm and indeed become one of the gayest bands ever. Journey is the gayest of all!

Here's the gayest band of all, but they focking know how to rock!

HEADBANG

:lol:

And I'm not going to agree that Journey is gay, nor ELO, nor Elton John, even though he really is factually gay.

Yeah but Journey "came out" with gems such as,

Who's Crying Now

Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin

Open Arms

Faithfully

I could go on....

come sail away

babe

you're my laaaaaaaaaaaaady

Yeah, tough comptetion in the gayness factor there.

I think we'll have to go to the lightning round tie-breaker. The category is: HAIR

Steve Perry? Mullet. - White trash, but not known for it's gayness.

Dennis DeYoung: Perm with Frosted Tips. - Gay. Set. Match.

I actually bumped into Tommy Shaw one time.

He was with Damn Yankees, and the whole band, with the exception of Ted Nugent, was flying from Austin to Odessa for a concert.

I was on the same plane, and I found it funny that they were standing around and making sure they got credit for their flyer miles and stuff.

As we got off the plane, I caught up with Shaw and asked him about playing in a place in Odessa, and he said, they'd "played far worse."

I asked him where Ted was, and he said, "He's flying his own plane in."

So he couldn't give the band a focking ride?

I need to just stay out of this thread altogether, because there are about a half dozen posts in here that make me want to murder someone.

You guys don't know good music!

AND JOURNEY ROCKS! SO DOES STYX! AND PEOPLE ARE JUST LUCKY THAT REO SPEEDWAGON HASN'T BEEN MENTIONED YET!

I need to just stay out of this thread altogether, because there are about a half dozen posts in here that make me want to murder someone.

You guys don't know good music!

AND JOURNEY ROCKS! SO DOES STYX! AND PEOPLE ARE JUST LUCKY THAT REO SPEEDWAGON HASN'T BEEN MENTIONED YET!

Says the guy whose hair got kissed by Frosty the Snowfag.

come sail away

babe

you're my laaaaaaaaaaaaady

Yeah, tough comptetion in the gayness factor there.

I think we'll have to go to the lightning round tie-breaker. The category is: HAIR

Steve Perry? Mullet. - White trash, but not known for it's gayness.

Okay, they're both gay!

Though I kinda like that Lady song :lol:

I remember once on some weekly concert program (Midnight Special, Kirchners Rock Concert or In Concert) Journey was performing on and a friend who didn't know any better came in and said, WOW, who's the chic singing!

I asked him where Ted was, and he said, "He's flying his own plane in."

So he couldn't give the band a focking ride?

He probably didnt want the gayness of shaw, the dude from Night Ranger, and the drummer to rub off on him.

In the 'Time On My Hands' video, wasn't he wearing a white jumpsuit?

White jumpsuit.

Why is Steve Perry even mentioned in this thread? :lol:

Okay, they're both gay!

Though I kinda like that Lady song :lol:

I remember once on some weekly concert program (Midnight Special, Kirchners Rock Concert or In Concert) Journey was performing on and a friend who didn't know any better came in and said, WOW, who's the chic singing!

Didn't Journey start out as a pretty notable rock-jazz fusion band?

I've heard their first albums, before Steve Perry came along, were pretty greta.

:wub:

Here's the gayest band of all, but they focking know how to rock!

HEADBANG

AHHHH!

I can't stand those fockers!

Why is Steve Perry even mentioned in this thread? :lol:

I always liked that kinda skanky looking blonde in the "Oh Sherry" video. Dunno, there was something about the imperfection of her that was kinda hot".

Anway, beat the hell outta some video with a robot that looked like Tweeky from Buck Rogers. :wub:

AHHHH!

I can't stand those fockers!

They were the second rock concert I ever went to. It was the summer of 1981, and it was just about the most violent concert I've ever witnesseds.

I've never seen such a bunch of fights, drug use and just all around scary humanity.

It was Judas Priest, Krokus and, I believe, Humble Pie.

When Rob Halford came riding out on a Harley, with a microphone shoved up the bike's tailpipe, it was simultaneously loud and symbolic.

:dunno:

Didn't Journey start out as a pretty notable rock-jazz fusion band?

I've heard their first albums, before Steve Perry came along, were pretty greta.

Those first two albums (that I could remember) were great, then Stevie boy came in the picture :(

It was a drastic change :( :(

Speaking of gay, I tried searching for the gayest of all-time gay videos...Billy Squire- Rock Me Tonight on YouTube. I couldn't find it. It used to be all over the place on YouTube. I wonder if Squire had it removed, somehow. :dunno:

That is one example of a video single-handedly destroying a career. Squire was considerewd a "rocker" up until that video. He had a cool reputation and some of his tunes (In The Dark, Everybody Wants You, ect.) were legitaimate rock tunes. Then came Rock Me Tonight, and it's limp-wristed video, and his carrer was over.

Can anyone else find it on there? :( I always get a chuckle out of watching it.

Speaking of gay, I tried searching for the gayest of all-time gay videos...Billy Squire- Rock Me Tonight on YouTube. I couldn't find it. It used to be all over the place on YouTube. I wonder if Squire had it removed, somehow. :(

That is one example of a video single-handedly destroying a career. Squire was considerewd a "rocker" up until that video. He had a cool reputation and some of his tunes (In The Dark, Everybody Wants You, ect.) were legitaimate rock tunes. Then came Rock Me Tonight, and it's limp-wristed video, and his carrer was over.

Can anyone else find it on there? :( I always get a chuckle out of watching it.

Ever since Google took over youtube, rock videos have been flying off of their. They had all kinds of fantastic bootleg Led Zep footage, but it's all gone now, from what I can tell.

Fockers.

A Flock Of Seagulls? They get into the top 20?

Too short-lived to even make the gay list?

In any case, I think we can all agree that Styx has to be the gayest of the big gay bands.

There are prolly dozens of gayer stupid little gay bands people could bring up.

There are prolly dozens of gayer stupid little gay bands people could bring up.

Like these guys?