Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Anyone had - nasal septum surgery ?

I guess I have a deviated septum or whatever and can't really breathe out of 1 nostril at all.. ( insert smart ass remark here :) ) . Anyway the doctor said I had the option of having surgery to repair it but it is said to be in some cases really painfull and takes about 3 weeks to recover. Just wondering if anyone here has had this done and if they knew or had heard any good/bad things regarding this.

thanks

"Nasal Septum Surgery" is like saying "Anal Rectum Surgery"

hth

I had a friend who had this. If it's the same procedure, there's no guarantee that you'll be any better afterward. Besides, the care afterward sux. You'll need to snort saline and then - ugh -spit it out - to wash out your nasal cavities. - Gagging as I type this. Hella pain, no guarantee of benefit. Some people swear by it, some people hate it. - Wish I could tell you more, but #1) - Make sure you ask him about aftercare before you make your decision.

I think my wife had something like that, before we were married. It didn't go well. She got real sick afterwards and it didn't really help her breathing at all. That was just one case, though. I'm sure for others it works. :)

I had a nose surgery after I broke my nose in a high school basketball game. Crushed septum, so they had to fix it up. Hurt like hell, and it was really bad once they pulled those rods out. Sniffed saline like it was going out of style, then you spit it out. Really sucked. One of my nostrils is closed now, and I don't breathe that well out of it. They said they can go back, hell no you won't.

The rods I had up there were about the size of a sharpie cap. Those were the worst.

My wife had that a couple of years ago. It knocked her on her ass for a couple of days. She also had some sinus work done at the same time, so it was more hardcore than just septum surgery.

I think this three-week thing is baloney.

An alternative: Become a meth-head honking all the shiat up the bad nostril. In no time it will eat away at your nosyinnards and you will have free passage for air to flow not only to your lungs, but out your ears and around your shrunkin brain.

But hey, I'm no Doctor.

My brother-in-law had the sugery. He was recovering for about a week. He said the pain was terrible the whole week.

At one point I thought I would have to get it, but the flonase worked for me when nothing else did. Now it is more seasonal when I have to use it, where before it was year round. Good luck with your honker.

:dunno: :banana: :wall:

I've had it done 3 times (long story). Over all not that bad. I'm not saying it's fun or enjoyable but the pain was mild (and you'll get vicodin). Yes the rods (which is just gause) is the worst part. They pull it out so far you'll think it went all the way up to your brain.

Yes, some don't work but the majority do. I'd do it again if I had breathing problems.

My wife had that a couple of years ago. It knocked her on her ass for a couple of days. She also had some sinus work done at the same time, so it was more hardcore than just septum surgery.

I think this three-week thing is baloney.

The doctor said I could go back to work a feww days later - though others I talked said 2 weeks. I am thinking of only taking a few days off regardless though- as I would get alot more rest and peace at work then at home with 2 little terrors who seem to have turned my wife into a giant ball of rage :unsure:

Had it done. My wife has had it done twice and my dad has had it once. They've come a long way in that surgery to where it's not near as painful as it used to be. My dad had it done about 25 years ago. He was out of commission for a week. I was up and around after a day or two and they pulled the gauzes out of my nose before I left the hospital.

I had some sinus surgery done so I probably had more bleeding than normal. I was washing my sinuses out with saline solution. It sucks, but you always feel better afterward because you know you are getting all that crap out of there.

Overall, not near as bad as I thought. Sucks for a day or two because you are swallowing alot of blood, but the pain was pretty minimal.

Had it done about 8 years ago. Glad I did. The pain was awful for about 2 days, but after that wasn't bad.

The pain meds were greta :thumbsup:

Just had this yesterday.  So far recovery hasn’t been so bad (knock on wood).   Not sure if they’ve changed the methods in the past 15 years or so because I had heard that it was awful when I first started looking into it

There is a popular chiropractor based in los angeles that not only works with spinal issues but apparently helps with deviated septums.  This video is an example where he does it.