Sign in to follow this  
Fun Bags

When did we become such pansies?

Damn near every school has closed in NE Ohio for Monday citing the cold as the reason. It is not snowing at all. Roads a perfectly clear (except perhaps the occassional dusting of some blowing snow). Current temp is listed as 1 deg F, wind chills near -20. High temp expected to be 8 F. OK, it is cold. I understand that. So focking what? Throw on an extra layer of clothing, cover any exposed skin, and get the fock to school. Why is that so difficult?

I honestly think this trend started about 10 years ago. Didn't have any of these twatlike knee-jerk overreactions in the 80's. Unless I missed em or something. Society is now afraid of it's own shadow.

when I was in HS back in the 90s our transportation director was proud of the fact that our school would

be open no matter what. We would have school(nw ohio) while every other school in the area would be

closed. She said if the roads were too bad to drive on, the kids can just ride the bus. Oh, smart...and the

bus which hasn't picked me up in 3 years will stop at my house? whatever. One day I pulled out of the

drive and the car slid sideways across the road on the ice. Mybrother and I got out and pushed it so that

it was straight on the road and then it took a while to get to school. Everyone else had already canceled. (we weren't even delayed)

after an hour at school, the super got involved and canceled and sent us all home and removed that stupid

focking lady from her responsibilities. I'm sure the parental complaints had piled up high enough already.

of course nowadays they cancel for the most ridiculous reasons. we used to miss less than 5 days a year,

but now they miss 10-15 days and almost always add a week onto the end of the year.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

when I was in HS back in the 90s our transportation director was proud of the fact that our school would

be open no matter what. We would have school(nw ohio) while every other school in the area would be

closed. She said if the roads were too bad to drive on, the kids can just ride the bus. Oh, smart...and the

bus which hasn't picked me up in 3 years will stop at my house? whatever. One day I pulled out of the

drive and the car slid sideways across the road on the ice. Mybrother and I got out and pushed it so that

it was straight on the road and then it took a while to get to school. Everyone else had already canceled. (we weren't even delayed)

after an hour at school, the super got involved and canceled and sent us all home and removed that stupid

focking lady from her responsibilities. I'm sure the parental complaints had piled up high enough already.

of course nowadays they cancel for the most ridiculous reasons. we used to miss less than 5 days a year,

but now they miss 10-15 days and almost always add a week onto the end of the year.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Sounds like the Super used the Transportation Director as a scapegoat. It should be the Super's call when school closes. Of course he/she should consult with the transportation department as well as the local city authorities (police, city transportation, etc...) before making the call.

Trecherous road conditions...I can understand calling off school. But too focking cold??? Give me a break. Maybe if you have a large population of young children who walk to school a fair distance, I could see some rationale. But where I live nearly everyone rides a bus or gets driven to school. Those that ride the bus don't even have to wait outside these days. They get picked up/dropped off right at their driveways. :dunno:

maybe this has more to do with not enough money in the school budget to pay for heat on these cold days :sleep:

:sleep: :huh:

same deal here. grew up in rochester. every other district in the county would be closed but ours, which means that 99.999999% of districts in the nation would have closed, but nooooo, not ours. also, the superintendent lived on my block.

With the wind chill, it's around -7 today.

I didn't turn on the heat last night. I am not wearing gloves. I shake my head at the pussies that are wearing hats and scarves.

:howsoonbeforeglobalwarmingargumentwords:

Per Yahoo!, it is currently -13 where I am in Wisconsin (west of Milwaukee), with a wind chill near -32.

Most of the schools around here are closed; they didn't want kids standing outside waiting for the bus.

It's all about protecting their "special" children. :sleep:

I think I would probably take the weather more seriously if the focking TV meteorologist would just simply say, "It's cold as balls outside this morning."

Obviously, the phrase "as balls" is an attention grabber. It's a wonderful analogy, as powerful as balls.

It happened when the focus of the "News" changed from reporting the facts to entertaining.

The way these current news weather folks whip everyone into a frenzy at the slightest change in the weather is sickening.

If a kid dies, no one wants to claim responsibility. As I stated in another thread- I call it natural selection, but I am sure schools prefer to just avoid a law suit.

Moral of the story: Blame the lawyers. ;)

maybe this has more to do with not enough money in the school budget to pay for heat on these cold days :banana:

Could be that or power grid issues.

I remember when I was in college we had a day or two get cancelled to alleviate some of the stress on the power grid.

Sounds like the Super used the Transportation Director as a scapegoat. It should be the Super's call when school closes.

uh, no. the transportation director made the call for us. that's not an assumption. It was her job to make sure the buses were

running smoothly and on bad days she'd be up at 5am in contact with the state highway station which is just a mile down the road.

What does the Super know about how buses can handle bad roads? he never drove one. so it was her job...for a while.

Now on iffy days with delays, sure he'd get involved, but I'm talking about horrendous weather where no sane person would

go ahead with a school day...we did. :dunno:

I went to school in upstate NY and we would get a lot of focking snow...sometimes school would get cancelled sometimes it wouldn't. Oh yeah, it was a really big school system K-12...700 in a graduating class. One year there was a big snow storm, all the schools but ours were closed. :mad:

We got the next day off when somebody slashed all the buses tires.

:ninja:

:dunno: :banana: :banana: