Sign in to follow this  
yostevo

Home gyms vs. the actual gym

Me and Mrs. yostevo are going to have to re-up with the gym membership next month and I got to seriously thinking about springing for the home gym equipment. We are both above average gym rats. Not fanatics but we actually enjoy it more than we fret it.

I'm looking at:

1. Bowflex adjustable dumbbells

2. Smith machine/multi-functional home gym

3. Cardio machine such as an elliptical or excercise bike

It's going to cost me an arm and leg up front but we'd obviously save money over time.

Anyone convert to a home gym from the actual gym and then later regret it or vice versa?

The drawbacks would be the limited amount of machines but the obvious bonuses would be the convenience and money saved. I'm torn.

:banana:

Me and Mrs. yostevo are going to have to re-up with the gym membership next month and I got to seriously thinking about springing for the home gym equipment. We are both above average gym rats. Not fanatics but we actually enjoy it more than we fret it.

I'm looking at:

1. Bowflex adjustable dumbbells

2. Smith machine/multi-functional home gym

3. Cardio machine such as an ellipitical or excercise bike

It's going to cost me an arm and leg up front but we'd obviously save money over time.

Anyone convert to a home gym from the actual gym and then later regret it or vice versa?

The drawbacks would be the limited amount of machines but the obvious bonuses would be the convenience and money saved. I'm torn.

:banana:

I did... I now have a home gym, with the elliptical.

I miss working out in the normal gym, cause of the extra machines/free weights/space you have, but I do enjoy having it at home so that I can workout whenever I want, plus there is no driving involved.

Sorry I can't be more help, but the 2 are totally different.

I think it depends on your personality. I would marginally prefer a home gym, since I am a person of convenience (read: inherently lazy). My wife however has a hard time motivating herself to exercise at home, and much prefers the gym and being around people.

Also, are there a lot of hotties at your gym? There are at mine. :banana:

I did... I now have a home gym, with the elliptical.

I miss working out in the normal gym, cause of the extra machines/free weights/space you have, but I do enjoy having it at home so that I can workout whenever I want, plus there is no driving involved.

Sorry I can't be more help, but the 2 are totally different.

Part of my problem is that I drive past my house on my way home from work in order to go to the gym. I get into a mental tug of war of whether to just go home or keep going to the gym. It's silly, but if the gym were on the way home to my house, that would make a difference. Unfortunately, there's no way of that happening unless I move. :wub:

It's really hard to say which is best for someone else. You have to honestly ask yourself if you would actually be motivated enough to actually use the equipment each day if you were to buy it or would it just sit there accumulating dust after the novelty of having it wears off.

For some people it's the same thing if they buy a gym membership in the sense that they find excuses to not go! I tend to fall into this category so I have always preferred to work out at home. I run for cardio, lift weights and do squats and lunges with weights to keep toned and tight. All of this is easy enough to do at home, so I didn't need a gym. Last November when the weather started getting too cold and daylight savings time prevented it from still being light out when I got home, I knew that I would end up getting too lazy when I got home from work to get out there and go for a run. It would be much more inviting to put on some comfy warm sweats and curl up on the couch with a glass of wine, so I enrolled myself at a gym just so that I could still get in my cardio.

When summer comes around, I am thinking to do away with the gym membership and go back to the home workout. :wub:

I think it depends on your personality. I would marginally prefer a home gym, since I am a person of convenience (read: inherently lazy). My wife however has a hard time motivating herself to exercise at home, and much prefers the gym and being around people.

Also, are there a lot of hotties at your gym? There are at mine. :banana:

I hadn't really considered the "hottie" factor. Good point. It certainly inspires you to do a couple extra reps now and again. :wub: :wub:

The problem my wife has is that she won't get motivated to actually go to the gym without me and I think the home gym would help her even more than me. In the fall, I'm actually going back to school and will still be working full time so that will take up about 70 hours per and I just don't see me being inspired to run to a gym during that stretch.

Guest Davaco

the actual gym wokrs best for me. If i have access to work out whenever I want, i will keep postponing it.

I like the actual gym. After a while you get to know everyone there and you can vary your work out a hell of a lot more then a home gym.

Also at least for me, I know if I pack my clothes I have no excuse to stop at the gym on my way home. While if I had the equipment in my basement I would become preoccupied with other things

It's really hard to say which is best for someone else. You have to honestly ask yourself if you would actually be motivated enough to actually use the equipment each day if you were to buy it or would it just sit there accumulating dust after the novelty of having it wears off.

For some people it's the same thing if they buy a gym membership in the sense that they find excuses to not go! I tend to fall into this category so I have always preferred to work out at home. I run for cardio, lift weights and do squats and lunges with weights to keep toned and tight. All of this is easy enough to do at home, so I didn't need a gym. Last November when the weather started getting too cold and daylight savings time prevented it from still being light out when I got home, I knew that I would end up getting too lazy when I got home from work to get out there and go for a run. It would be much more inviting to put on some comfy warm sweats and curl up on the couch with a glass of wine, so I enrolled myself at a gym just so that I could still get in my cardio.

When summer comes around, I am thinking to do away with the gym membership and go back to the home workout. :wub:

I think a lot of my issues with the gym has to do with the weather here in Michigan. When it's brutally focking cold and snowy out like it is now, alls you want to do is go home from work and get comfortable. In the summer I tend to enjoy getting out and going to the gym more.

I like the actual gym. After a while you get to know everyone there and you can vary your work out a hell of a lot more then a home gym.

fock that...I don't talk to DB's at my gym. I go in, do my work-out and go the fock home. Are you that guy at the gym?

If you do the home gym, I think Q_Lazz has some weights he can sell you. :wub:

Funny you mentioned that. That's the reason I started thinking about a home gym in the first place was the talk of the Bowflex dumbbells he was selling. :wub:

fock that...I don't talk to DB's at my gym. I go in, do my work-out and go the fock home. Are you that guy at the gym?

I gotta agree with that. I really don't need it to be a social hour for me. I want it done and out of the way with as little fan fare as possible.

Home gym.

I like the convenience of simply walking down to my basement to workout. I also lift at 5:00 am, so I don't have to worry about gym hours.

There are also no guys screaming and carrying on trying to get everyone to look at them when they attempt a heavy lift.

A couple pics from my humble little home gym.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/121/gym2xl6.jpg

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/5536/gym1ts7.jpg

Home gym.

I like the convenience of simply walking down to my basement to workout. I also lift at 5:00 am, so I don't have to worry about gym hours.

There are also no guys screaming and carrying on trying to get everyone to look at them when they attempt a heavy lift.

It's a good thing you have that home gym because with frosted tips, you'd get your ass handed to you at the actual gym. :wall: :P

That's a nice ensemble you have there. How did you go about getting it all? I've been scouring ebay and the local sporting goods stores for deals.

Home gym.

you need to hang some mirrors on the walls :wall:

That's a nice ensemble you have there. How did you go about getting it all? I've been scouring ebay and the local sporting goods stores for deals.

Play It Again Sports is pretty greta

It's a good thing you have that home gym because with frosted tips, you'd get your ass handed to you at the actual gym. :wall: :P

Something about sporting 18" guns that keep people from attempting to hand me my ass. ;)

signed,

Internet tough guy.

Something about sporting a 4 1/2 inch peemus that keeps people from attempting to blast me in my ass. :wall:

signed,

Internet sweetheart.

Agreed

you need to hang some mirrors on the walls :wall:

I have a mirror against the wall in front of my Smith Machine. That's all I need. My posing days are long over.

you need to hang some mirrors on the walls :P

Play It Again Sports is pretty greta

I have a Play it again right down the street that I forgot about. :wall:

You mean nice? Yeah I'm nice to people, it's crazy when you're polite, people respond positively towards that and sometimes a conversation strikes up. Or at the very least you say hello next time you see them.

Do I go up and bother people in the middle of their workout or vice versa? Hell no that's just retarded.

I converted from home gym to actual gym back to home gym.

During my 1st marriage we had a home gym (dumbells, olympic weight set & bench, stationary bike).

Then I got divorced and moved into a condo. Not enough room so the home gym went into storage. I joined the local gym. Well worth it since I was single. Lots of single ladies and I became a Spin instructor.

Fast forward, married again, bought a house with a big enough area for a home gym set up. Mrs JScott and I purchased an elliptical machine, an aerobic step, and a stationary trainer for my road bike. The dumbells, weight set and bench came out of storage. And now we have everything we need for a great home gym.

The only reason I'd go back to an actual gym is if I was single again. Other than that go with the home gym IMO :thumbsdown:

I do and have done both...

Actual gyms are good for looking at girls :banana:

Home gym is superior in every way else. (This is provided that your not one of those gay guys who feel they need to use 14 different types of gay machines :banana: )

I would recommend the home gym and looking at girls on the internet :thumbsdown:

I converted from home gym to actual gym back to home gym.

During my 1st marriage we had a home gym (dumbells, olympic weight set & bench, stationary bike).

Then I got divorced and moved into a condo. Not enough room so the home gym went into storage. I joined the local gym. Well worth it since I was single. Lots of single ladies and I became a Spin instructor.

Fast forward, married again, bought a house with a big enough area for a home gym set up. Mrs JScott and I purchased an elliptical machine, an aerobic step, and a stationary trainer for my road bike. The dumbells, weight set and bench came out of storage. And now we have everything we need for a great home gym.

The only reason I'd go back to an actual gym is if I was single again. Other than that go with the home gym IMO :thumbsdown:

I think that being newly married plays into the thought process as well. Back in the day, I did have more of the urge to go see all the eye candy even if it was just visual. I still see plenty of that at the hospital I work at and I'm just more appreciative of being at home and spending that time with the lady.

Home gym.

Nice. :thumbsdown: If I could set something like that up, I'd be tempted. Unfortunately houses in Phx tend to not have basements, and the garage is too focking hot half of the year. We've talked about adding a room to the house, and doing a martial arts floor/exercise setup.

I think that being newly married plays into the thought process as well. Back in the day, I did have more of the urge to go see all the eye candy even if it was just visual. I still see plenty of that at the hospital I work at and I'm just more appreciative of being at home and spending that time with the lady.

Sounds like you know the right choice then :thumbsdown:

Home gym is superior in every way else. (This is provided that your not one of those gay guys who feel they need to use 14 different types of gay machines :banana: )

I don't use a lot of gay machines but I do wear leg warmers. Does this count?

I would recommend the home gym and looking at girls on the internet :thumbsdown:

:banana: Sound advice.

I don't use a lot of gay machines but I do wear leg warmers. Does this count?

:thumbsdown: Sound advice.

The only other factor (besides girls :banana: ) is the sports you play.

Summer time - no problem.... you can play whatever you want outside.

But I'm pretty sure you're in cold-weather climate like me.... and that's where a gym really comes in handy. Basketball, volleyball, racketball, etc.

I play basketball and volleyball in local leagues -- so that's no problem -- but I really miss playing racketball.

Swimming, too. I take my daughter swimming on weekends when I am a member.

Tough to get that pool going in your basement.. :banana:

Also a home gym will give you more time to take your woman to ghey musicals. :thumbsup:

:mad: I still feel I should have jumped from the balcony.

Guest Davaco

iam the same as you. i have been at my local gym for almost 7 years and have yet to speak a word other than to get my card before I go home.

iam the same as you. i have been at my local gym for almost 7 years and have yet to speak a word other than to get my card before I go home.

WOW! You guys must be really tough. I bet you don't smile for pictures either.

When I work out I am quite efficient. However, I happen to know a lot of people who go to the same gym. I saw a guy on my softball team, a mom that we carpool with, and oh yeah, my wife. Would be kinda rude not to talk for a minute. :thumbsup:

When I work out I am quite efficient. However, I happen to know a lot of people who go to the same gym. I saw a guy on my softball team, a mom that we carpool with, and oh yeah, my wife. Would be kinda rude not to talk for a minute. :thumbsup:

that's because it's know far and wide that you're a gaping vagina

Annual Gym Membership - $500.00

Top of the line Bowflex system - $2000.00

Daily Running, walking, playing ball, pushups and situps - Priceless

Annual Gym Membership - $500.00

Top of the line Bowflex system - $2000.00

Daily Running, walking, playing ball, pushups and situps - Priceless

The running, walking, and exorcising are all great for you, but weight training has a tremendous effect on overall metabolism and weight maintenance.

A good weightlifting session not only tones or builds muscle, but allows your body to burn extra calories up to 24 hours later.

The running, walking, and exorcising are all great for you, but weight training has a tremendous effect on overall metabolism and weight maintenance.

A good weightlifting session not only tones or builds muscle, but allows your body to burn extra calories up to 24 hours later.

Plus, you get to wear a weightbelt, workout Zubaz, and a Gold's Gym tank top :huh:

Dear Donhaas,

Lalanne is a putz.

Sincerely,

Izzy Mendlebaum

P.S. You think you're better than me??? It's go time!!

Thanks muscle head.