Sign in to follow this  
MurOh

Tim Hardaway

but the reality is that if I said that during a board meeting, I would be on my way out the door or at least in HR hell.

which would be on company time, no?

which would be on company time, no?

What does that have to do with it? Are you saying that because Hardaway was not being paid, that he should get a free pass? If so, then you are completely missing the point.

It sounded like Mike Greenburgh was gonna cry on Mike and Mike in the morning. I don't understand the outrage. Why does it matter if he hates gays? He isn't a teacher teaching your kids, he is not a politician making policy, he is a nobody and he IS free to say whatever he wants.

If he said he hated religious people or rich people nobody would be saying a word. If he said I hate all republicans (like all these other celebs do) everyone would be jumping for joy.

:blink: why is everyone all up in arms about how one guy feels? He shouldn't have used the word hate, but it is selective outrage because of the subject matter.

Here is what the Amaechi guy had to say about this

Amaechi spoke on Hardaway's comments to the Miami Herald: "Finally, someone who is honest. It is ridiculous, absurd, petty, bigoted and shows a lack of empathy that is gargantuan and unfathomable. But it is honest. And it illustrates the problem better than any of the fuzzy language other people have used so far."

What does that have to do with it? Are you saying that because Hardaway was not being paid, that he should get a free pass? If so, then you are completely missing the point.

free pass? no. free speech, yes.

maybe after work you could go out to a W political rally. maybe you call up limbaugh and say you hate Libs

torridjoe, your fat boss, hears about it.

sorry fatboy, it's just not gonna work out here. you're fired. I'm sure you will say oh ok, no problem I deserved it.

In a bizzare way, I kinda respect Mr. Hardaway for saying what he really feels. I think he is bigoted in his comments, but at least he is honest. I have the feeling alot more athletes and ex-athletes feel as Tim does, but put on the PC face when the camera in on.

maybe after work you could go out to a W political rally. maybe you call up limbaugh and say you hate Libs

sorry fatboy, it's just not gonna work out here. you're fired. I'm sure you will say oh ok, no problem I deserved it.

Yep, just like I said, it is selective outrage to the subject manner. Substitute "gay" with "religious" or "republicans" or "rich" and this wouldn't even come close to making news.

You have just shown that you don't get it. Saying that you hate liberals, Republicans, rich people, or anything else of that nature is not the same as saying that you hate blacks, women, gays, the disabled, or anyone else that is listed LEGALLY as a protected group.

You and Tim Hardaway absolutely have the right to say whatever you want. However, the Constitution does not protect you from the ramifications of that free speach. I am sure that you think that the folks that protest at the funerals of soldiers should be lauded for what they say and that they should be welcomed with open arms. :banana:

As far as your example, if I were to be walking down the street and someone on the news interviewed me on what I thought about gays in the NBA or military and I said exactly what Hardaway said, I can guarantee you that I would have no recourse if my employer fired me the next day after seeing what I said.

Hardaway is a bigot and was exposed as such. If you are a bigot, then they won't generally hire you for work as a broadcaster. This can be a kiss of death in that regard, although there are certainly exceptions.

You folks can say that he has a right to say that all you want, but the reality is that if I said that during a board meeting, I would be on my way out the door or at least in HR hell.

There are certainly situations where political correctness has gone WAY too far. This is not one of them.

My question is: which part would put you in HR hell or get you fired? The first part of what he said or the second?

I would submit that this would have made the news even without the "I hate gays" statement. Just saying he wouldn't want to have a gay teammate would have landed him in hot water with PC people and the ESPN circle. My point was LeBatard called him a bigot before the "hate" statement ever came up. He called him that after the statement that Hardaway just didn't want a gay person in the locker room. He pulled the "bigot" card quickly and without rationale. He certainly had plenty of reason to pull it in the end, but not as soon as he did.

So, if you said you didn't particularly like the idea of dressing and undressing in front of gay men, would that get you in trouble in the workplace? Get you fired? Because that's what he initially said before the other outburst. I'm just curious.....

You have just shown that you don't get it. Saying that you hate liberals, Republicans, rich people, or anything else of that nature is not the same as saying that you hate blacks, women, gays, the disabled, or anyone else that is listed LEGALLY as a protected group.

:banana: O :banana: M :D G :wacko:

My question is: which part would put you in HR hell or get you fired? The first part of what he said or the second?

I would submit that this would have made the news even without the "I hate gays" statement. Just saying he wouldn't want to have a gay teammate would have landed him in hot water with PC people and the ESPN circle. My point was LeBatard called him a bigot before the "hate" statement ever came up. He called him that after the statement that Hardaway just didn't want a gay person in the locker room. He pulled the "bigot" card quickly and without rationale. He certainly had plenty of reason to pull it in the end, but not as soon as he did.

So, if you said you didn't particularly like the idea of dressing and undressing in front of gay men, would that get you in trouble in the workplace? Get you fired? Because that's what he initially said before the other outburst. I'm just curious.....

I agreed with what you said before. He was a bigot from the get-go, but he was probably only insensitive during the first comment. Once he went into the hate area, he went way over the line.

I agreed with what you said before. He was a bigot from the get-go, but he was probably only insensitive during the first comment. Once he went into the hate area, he went way over the line.

I'm just curious. Who decides where the "line" is? :banana:

A little off topic, but not really.........

I heard on the radio that John Aemechi's book is actually being published by ESPN. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm just curious. Who decides where the "line" is? :unsure:

The court of public opinion decides it in these situations. It is always arbitrary and it is always moving. What was acceptable 20 years ago is not acceptable today.

In this case, I would say that Hardaway was wrong with his "I hate gays" comments and the fact that some folks think that it is okay that he said it, proves that the problem is a real one.

The court of public opinion decides it in these situations. It is always arbitrary and it is always moving. What was acceptable 20 years ago is not acceptable today.

In this case, I would say that Hardaway was wrong with his "I hate gays" comments and the fact that some folks think that it is okay that he said it, proves that the problem is a real one.

Or maybe it proves that where you think the line is some don't? :unsure:

I heard on the radio that John Aemechi's book is actually being published by ESPN. Can anyone confirm this?

That is correct. ESPN's been pimping it for weeks.

That's true. Mike Greenberg acknowledged as much on Mike and Mike this morning.

Or maybe it proves that where you think the line is some don't? :unsure:

Absolutely. My line is different than where others put that line. I would certainly not expect everyone to agree with my opinion.

Especially some of the folks here, who are borderline KKK. ;)

Absolutely. My line is different than where others put that line. I would certainly not expect everyone to agree with my opinion.

Especially some of the folks here, who are borderline KKK. ;)

Or pro free speech? :unsure:

Thankfully, it is no longer acceptable in the court of public opinion to "hate" others.

My concern has always been that in the PC world, it's also unacceptable to even express disapproval of someone else's lifestyle.

Hardaway should be judged harshly, IMO, for the hate statement, but not the disapproval portion of his comments.

If someone says, "I don't like it when a gay person does ____", that should be acceptable. When someone says "I don't like gay people", then what they're saying is the very definition of prejudice.

Thankfully, it is no longer acceptable in the court of public opinion to "hate" others.

My concern has always been that in the PC world, it's also unacceptable to even express disapproval of someone else's lifestyle.

Hardaway should be judged harshly, IMO, for the hate statement, but not the disapproval portion of his comments.

If someone says, "I don't like it when a gay person does ____", that should be acceptable. When someone says "I don't like gay people", then what they're saying is the very definition of prejudice.

I agree with this 1000% :unsure:

I think his original statement went like this:

First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team.

"And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that's right. And you know I don't think he should be in the locker room while we're in the locker room. I wouldn't even be a part of that," he said.

If that's not bigotry, it's pretty close. Saying you'd distance yourself from him? I don't know. I'm not going to bust on LeBatard too hard for calling him a bigot based on that. At the very least it's homophobia. What is he afraid of?

Or pro free speech? :unsure:

I think "confused" is more appropriate on the free speech side of things. I don't know of anyone that says that Tim Hardaway should not be allowed to say whatever he wants. It may have been raised here, but I don't remember it. What has been addressed is that if Hardaway says hateful things and is bigoted that he can be criticized and it would affect his employability.

In other words, no one is saying that he should go to jail (or be fined) for his stupid comments. That is what "free speech" as defined by the Constitution is.

I understand what you are saying and I agree. Our society (or at least many segments) have become too politically correct. As long as your statements are reasonable and based in reality, then you should have the ability to voice your opinion. Hardaway was neither reasonable nor were his arguments based in reality.

People should have the ability to disapprove of someone's lifestyle, but those things can go both ways (no pun intended).

I think "confused" is more appropriate on the free speech side of things. I don't know of anyone that says that Tim Hardaway should not be allowed to say whatever he wants. It may have been raised here, but I don't remember it. What has been addressed is that if Hardaway says hateful things and is bigoted that he can be criticized and it would affect his employability.

In other words, no one is saying that he should go to jail (or be fined) for his stupid comments. That is what "free speech" as defined by the Constitution is.

Agreed. He has every right to say what he said and to have his opinions. And he'll have to deal with the consequences.

And free speech allows me to say that Tim Hardaway is an ignorant ###### bigot.

We gotta get John Amaechi to do that same radio show:

"I hate the negroes. I'd be really uncomfortable having to share the same facilities & eat meals with them. I'm not saying they can't play basketball, but I just wouldn't want to associate with them off the court. "

Then see what little Timmy had to say about that. :blink:

We gotta get John Amaechi to do that same radio show:

"I hate the negroes. I'd be really uncomfortable having to share the same facilities & eat meals with them. I'm not saying they can't play basketball, but I just wouldn't want to associate with them off the court. "

Then see what little Timmy had to say about that. :dunno:

you do realize amaechi is black, right?

you do realize amaechi is black, right?

He's barely black. He's like Lisa Bonet black, not say, Mutumbo black. That's why I think it'd be funnier if he said it. - Cause he could get away with it. :dunno:

Agreed. He has every right to say what he said and to have his opinions. And he'll have to deal with the consequences.

And free speech allows me to say that Tim Hardaway is an ignorant ###### bigot.

if there were consequences to free speech that was simply someone's opinion and didn't break any law, then

that wouldn't be free speech would it?

if there were consequences to free speech that was simply someone's opinion and didn't break any law, then

Keep going. You are definitely raising some excellent points. :dunno: It sure sounds like you would have GFIAFP working for you or dating your daughter :banana:

Keep going. You are definitely raising some excellent points. :dunno: It sure sounds like you would have GFIAFP working for you or dating your daughter :banana:

maybe you think hardaway should be jailed as well for his comments. after all we don't want anyone speaking out of line, for

if they do, they gotta be put into their place so that they are afraid or unable to say anything possibly objectionable again.

See, this is why we shouldn't let negroes have opinions. They've been nothing but trouble since they left the plantation.

maybe you think hardaway should be jailed as well for his comments. after all we don't want anyone speaking out of line, for

if they do, they gotta be put into their place so that they are afraid or unable to say anything possibly objectionable again.

Now, I know that you are fishing because you have apparently not read anything that I have posted here :mad:

Uh, yeah it is still free speech because no one is stopping him from saying it.

If you're a former NBA player taking part in NBA-related activities (which Hardaway was doing) and you go on a radio show and show your ass the way he did, there will be consequences. No, he didn't break any laws. But he said something really ignorant in a very public forum and now David Stern has removed him from any more NBA-related activities.

Just because expressing your opinion isn't illegal doesn't mean there won't be consequences if you say something supremely stupid and ill-advised in a public forum.

Just because expressing your opinion isn't illegal doesn't mean there won't be consequences if you say something supremely stupid and ill-advised in a public forum.

I guess I missed that part of the constitution :banana:

There are limits on freedom of speech in schools. Your employer or an organization for which you volunteer or with which you are associated can put limits on your speech if you are viewed as being a representative of that organization.

Do you really think there wouldn't be ramifications if you went on the radio and were identified as representing your company and said "I hate gays," or "I hate black people," or "Poor people are stupid," or, "I hate women," or "Christians are idiots."?

The constitution mandates what the gov't may and may not do in regards to free speech. Is the gov't involved here?

I guess I missed that part of the constitution :blink:

From your lack of comprehension in this thread, I would surmise that you have missed all of the Constitution. If you can't get an understanding of the First Amendment, I am sure that the entire Bill of Rights was just a bunch of words to you. :lol: