Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

Could Florida beat NBA teams on a neutral floor?

my fault... i meant tony allen... being that he's 6'4"... i think delonte is about that height too...

my point was that i think the defensive matchups with height would end up throwing florida off on their own offensive end... i mean would they bring in richard and only play with 1 guard??? (i'll assume green on west) if that was the case the celts would probably press them coming up the court (a NBA teaming pressing?!?!?... maybe too weird)

i mean i'm sure they would play zone starting out the game... but once the celts picked that apart they'd have to man up and double down low... i just can't see florida winning if the celts are healthy

Yeah Florida would have big problems offensively against an NBA team. They would have to keep Green on the floor for his ballhandling despite his height (6'0"). There's no way they could start Richard, they would need him to spell the bigs, especially when you consider that Noah and Horford only average about 26 minuts each, and the NBA games are longer. Humphries would have a much tougher time getting open three-point shots, and would have to hit them from 3 feet further out. I don't think it would do the Celtics any good to press unless they just wanted to get the ball out of Green's hands and make someone else dribble, which might work I guess.

Defensively Florida plays a lot of zone anyway, I don't think they would have to play zone because of the Celtic players, but they'd have to bring their A game for sure.

Yeah but that all USA team didn't have the coaching/chemistry. Even the worst NBA team in the league has played together for hundreds, maybe thousands of hours by the time the season starts.

I don't know why people keep bringing up All Star teams and Team USA and stuff like that.

So, just to clarify: The Memphis Grizzlies of 2007 could beat an NBA All-Star team?

I'm not buying that. And, if I'm not buying that, then I can't buy the fact that every team in the NBA would beat Puerto Rico. And, if I'm not buying that, then I also can't buy that Florida couldn't on occasion beat an NBA team.

In essence, I believe Florida would be just as good or better than the Puerto Rican team......so it just doesn't add up for me that Florida would have no chance against an NBA team.

The problem with all star teams is you have 15 alpha dogs so no one knows their role. I think the grizzlies could beat them, and I think any NBA team in the league can beat puerto rico.

The two don't really follow in my eyes anyway.

If a bunch of buck-toofed gooftards from Shitzakistan can beat a team of NBA all-stars at the Olympics, I wouldn't be surprised to see a college team that practices teamwork and fundamentals could beat the worst NBA team.

:banana:

If a bunch of buck-toofed gooftards from Shitzakistan can beat a team of NBA all-stars at the Olympics, I wouldn't be surprised to see a college team that practices teamwork and fundamentals could beat the worst NBA team.

:banana:

American teams don't care about fundamentals. College included. The Europeans do practice fundamentals however. I reject your post.

The problem with all star teams is you have 15 alpha dogs so no one knows their role. I think the grizzlies could beat them, and I think any NBA team in the league can beat puerto rico.

The two don't really follow in my eyes anyway.

We'll have to disagree on this one. Can the Mavericks, Suns, Spurs, and/or Pistons beat an All-Star team 4 games out of 7. Most definitely. Can the Grizzlies, Blazers, Celtics, or Sixers? No way.

So, if an All-Star team lost to Puerto Rico (it did), then I would conclude that Puerto Rico or Florida could hang with teams towards the bottom of the league at least some of the time.

We'll have to disagree on this one. Can the Mavericks, Suns, Spurs, and/or Pistons beat an All-Star team 4 games out of 7. Most definitely. Can the Grizzlies, Blazers, Celtics, or Sixers? No way.

So, if an All-Star team lost to Puerto Rico (it did), then I would conclude that Puerto Rico or Florida could hang with teams towards the bottom of the league at least some of the time.

The big differences that you are ignoring:

- All-Star teams are playing for nothing that is important (full teams might be)

- All-Star teams don't typically practice as a team for any period of time (full teams do)

- The Florida team (or whoever wins) might have 3-4 players who are good enough for the NBA, the NBA team has 12

This argument is ridiculous. Take an NBDL team and let them play the Gators and you might find a closer matchup. The game is different as you progress up each level. Significantly different.

The BEST player on Florida might be the 2nd or 3rd best player on any NBA team. Pick one team where you will say that this is not the case and you might have an argument.

So, just to clarify: The Memphis Grizzlies of 2007 could beat an NBA All-Star team?

I didn't say that. I just said that Team USA and All Star teams and such have nothing to do with whether a great college team could beat an NBA team.

The big differences that you are ignoring:

- All-Star teams are playing for nothing that is important (full teams might be)

- All-Star teams don't typically practice as a team for any period of time (full teams do)

- The Florida team (or whoever wins) might have 3-4 players who are good enough for the NBA, the NBA team has 12

Exactly.

Wait!!! I bet the Mcdonalds All America Team could beat the Spurs. Why? I have no focking clue, but if a college team could beat an NBA team there's no reason a bunch of high school players on their way to college couldn't beat one of the best teams in the NBA too!!!!! It just makes sense!!!!!! :banana:

All of this happened in the last week:

Some people actually think Florida could beat an NBA team

Ditto for Kobe > Jordan

Sanjaya is still on American Idol

Suxbnme made it to the Geek finals.

I have lost all faith in not only the geek club, but all of mankind. :banana:

All of this happened in the last week:

Some people actually think Florida could beat an NBA team

Ditto for Kobe > Jordan

Sanjaya is still on American Idol

Suxbnme made it to the Geek finals.

I have lost all faith in not only the geek club, but all of mankind. :banana:

Yes, the apocolypse appears to be upon us. :banana:

I watched that Fla/OSU game tonight with an eye towards if they could beat an NBA team. No f'ing way. The defensive rotations and schemes in general were so rudimentary compared to an NBA team. It wouldn't even be close. Size, speed, offensive schemes are just a bonus. It would be a blowout.

Yes, the apocolypse appears to be upon us. :thumbsup:

I watched that Fla/OSU game tonight with an eye towards if they could beat an NBA team. No f'ing way. The defensive rotations and schemes in general were so rudimentary compared to an NBA team. It wouldn't even be close. Size, speed, offensive schemes are just a bonus. It would be a blowout.

So, would all NBA teams as they are be able to beat pretty much any international team....how do you guys see that?

Even though everyone is disagreeing with me and calling my crazy, I am enjoying this discussion. :dunno:

So, would all NBA teams as they are be able to beat pretty much any international team....how do you guys see that?

Even though everyone is disagreeing with me and calling my crazy, I am enjoying this discussion. :mad:

One thing that you are missing in bringing the International aspect to it is that the rules are much different. Our NBA players are thrown off by some of the rules and the style of play Internationally. The difference between rules in the NBA and the NCAA are minor.

International teams are more likely to beat a 2nd-tier NBA All-Star team (that is essentially what we play with) under International rules. Let them play us under NBA rules and let's see what happens. :banana:

I thought it before last night...but last night confirmed it...no way.

Watching Oden dominate down low..what would KG do? Shaq?

Any other big man would kill Noah/Horford.....not to mention I doubt UF hits 55% from NBA 3 range.

I thought it before last night...but last night confirmed it...no way.

Watching Oden dominate down low..what would KG do? Shaq?

Any other big man would kill Noah/Horford.....not to mention I doubt UF hits 55% from NBA 3 range.

I agree, but those guys are on decent NBA teams.....I'm talking more about the really, really poor teams in the NBA.

One has to also consider that Oden if he had gone pro this year wouldn't be too shabby even against pro competition. He'd likely dominate against some of the weakest NBA teams in terms of interior strength.

The International argument you all are making is a good one. It's something to think about. I continue to enjoy the discussion..........

I agree, but those guys are on decent NBA teams.....I'm talking more about the really, really poor teams in the NBA.

One has to also consider that Oden if he had gone pro this year wouldn't be too shabby even against pro competition. He'd likely dominate against some of the weakest NBA teams in terms of interior strength.

The International argument you all are making is a good one. It's something to think about. I continue to enjoy the discussion..........

Even some of the poor teams may have a good enough big man to kill them...guys with better footwork and hustle than Oden.

I think Oden needs a little more work...but nobody will challenge him in the NCAA enough to help him by staying.

Even some of the poor teams may have a good enough big man to kill them...guys with better footwork and hustle than Oden.

I think Oden needs a little more work...but nobody will challenge him in the NCAA enough to help him by staying.

I think even more important in that discussion is that Thad Matta's style does not work for Oden. They constantly put him in a situation where he is going to be in foul trouble. They are limiting his ability to advance his game. He has to leave for the NBA.

Now, Durant on the other hand....