Sign in to follow this  
mikedemelo

One Disappointed Commish

I commish a 12-team league that's been in existence for 7 years now. Most of the owners are all long-time friends who have known each other for a number of years, with the exception of a few. As usual, it was time for rule changes. We had lots of discussion and owners seemed very enthusiastic this year with some really good rule changes being proposed, including converting to a dynasty league and introducing IDPs. 15 proposed changes in total. With the proposed changes ready to go the deadline for voting was set...2 weeks for review and thought was given. The day before the dealine I sent out a reminder to everyone. The deadline came and went and 3 out of 12 owners (including me) submitted their votes. I sent a frustrated email to the league for not getting their votes in. I extended the deadline another 2 days. The new deadline came and only 1 additional owner submitted votes...for a grand total of 4 out of 12 owners. In order for rule changes to pass we need 2/3 of the majority to vote in favour....obviously no rule changes passed this year.

This is disappointing to say the least.

Any thoughts on why this might have happened? Has anyone experienced a similar situation in their league?

I'm wondering if the league is becoming too complacent.

IMHO~ You send out a notice of rule changes to be voted on in the off-season, then a week before the draft. All voting takes place on draft day, just before it begins.

IMHO~ You send out a notice of rule changes to be voted on in the off-season, then a week before the draft. All voting takes place on draft day, just before it begins.

Funny you should say that. Originally that is how it was setup. It changed about 5 years ago b/c some owners made the point that depending on the rule changes, it might change the way they drafted and therefore needed time to prepare before teh draft according to the changes.

Funny you should say that. Originally that is how it was setup. It changed about 5 years ago b/c some owners made the point that depending on the rule changes, it might change the way they drafted and therefore needed time to prepare before teh draft according to the changes.

Yeah, but most changes don't impact the draft in such a profound manner. As the commish you can make the call on it, if there is an obvious substantial impact, then keep after people, leading right up to the draft.

Its all subjective, try to be fair, if people object you can always point to the fact that you made considerable effort to put it to an early vote, and they should blame themselves.....

Some might not, but a real man stands up and admits his mistakes. :cheers:

I've been playing in a league for 11 years with 9 of the 12 being there since the beginning. We went through the same type of thing for a while. To eliminate it, we assumed that if you didn't respond or didn't show up for that stuff, that you were ok with the changes and your vote would be counted that way. We have never had a problem since.

I've been playing in a league for 11 years with 9 of the 12 being there since the beginning. We went through the same type of thing for a while. To eliminate it, we assumed that if you didn't respond or didn't show up for that stuff, that you were ok with the changes and your vote would be counted that way. We have never had a problem since.

:blink:

Try calling each of them. Many people have multiple email addresses and don't ever check some of them.

That's not going to work when one of the proposed changes is to implement IDP. People need to know about that sort of thing way ahead of time.

We work on changes prior to the end of the previous year (dynasty league), because some changes could affect things done in the offseason, trades, who you keep, etc. So before the end of the playoffs, changes for the next year are locked in.

That's not going to work when one of the proposed changes is to implement IDP. People need to know about that sort of thing way ahead of time.

We work on changes prior to the end of the previous year (dynasty league), because some changes could affect things done in the offseason, trades, who you keep, etc. So before the end of the playoffs, changes for the next year are locked in.

I suppose it wont work for people in certain leagues, never had an issue with any of my leagues.... :thumbsdown:

I also like the idea of a non vote being the same thing as a Yes vote. If you have a problem with a rule change, say something or else it's going to be implemented.

In my league the only day that anything gets done is draft day. So new rules changes are discussed in the short gap between the end of the draft and the point where two or three guys gets drunk out of their mind. If it's a change that needs to be made before the draft (such as changes to the draft itself or introducing IDPs) then those changes go into effect in the following season. Everything else like scoring, waiver moves or tie-breaker changes can go into effect immediately.

We always have a "B!tch session" on the same day each year, about a month before our draft. If you can't show or at least be by a phone you don't get a vote and can't whine about any changes. If only a couple people show they could change the whole league, allthough this never happens.

Don't try and babysit owners, if they don't care to vote on something then let the guys that do care pass the rules. We have an annual offseason meeting and if an owner cannot attend he gets an "absentee ballot" so he can still vote on the proposals. If he doesn't turn it back in, it's his loss and he doesn't get to vote. As long as you give people the opportunity that is what's most important.

you can substain from voting. As those owners did. Count up the votes and move on.

I know where you went wrong. 15 rule changes. Reading over and analyzing the impact of 15 rule changes is too much like work.

What we do in our league is vote on new suggestions at the draft (seeing as everyone's there), but don't implement until the following year because scoring changes affect decisions made pre-draft in keeper leagues.

do what i'm doing this year. i'm starting up a new league at work & i drew up the rules/scoring/etc... & handed them out to around a dozen or so guys that i know watch football, just to plant the seed. i'll wait until june & bring it up again. BUT, where it makes the biggest difference is in AUGUST when the football bug is starting to bite everyone, not just us hard core geeks. i'd send an email now on propsed rule changes, then again in late june, & then break it down in great detail in early august & ask for votes then. unlike us, they may watch NBA or MLB, or maybe even hockey? & thats all they're worried about now....who knows? i think to start making rule changes in april is just way too early for most peeps & you'll get a better response in early august when preseason is ongoing. good luck!

:banana:

The league that I run consists of maybe 3 or 4 hardcore owners, and the remainder are casual players. Most of us know each other from work or after-work sports. I used to put things up for vote, but got little to no response. I now run it as a benevolent dictatorship, with the other hardcore owners as my advisors. I think up potential rule changes, then run it by my advisors. If they think it's OK, then I announce the changes. If anyone has suggestions or concerns, I consider their input and decide if changes are necessary. I figure if anyone doesn't like it, their veto power is to quit, so I don't ramrod changes against heavy opposition.

It's been working well for 7 years now (a few owners have left due to lack of time/interest, not in opposition to the rules).

What we do in our league is vote on new suggestions at the draft (seeing as everyone's there), but don't implement until the following year because scoring changes affect decisions made pre-draft in keeper leagues.

If you aren't doing it this way, you are asking for problems.

15 rules changes including a switch to dynasty and IDP is a new league ultimately.... Seems like a communication problem.

When you do the changes, is dependent upon the type of changes you are making.

Now going from a redraft to dynasty is a significant change. This means doing a vote now.

Some may not want it and may walk out if a change is made or not made.

Last thing you want is your league not being fulled manned on the day of the draft.

And you are correct that is will drastically alter how you prep and who you expect to have a chance for in the draft.

Therefore, I would divide the voting, 15 changes is a lot.

Deal with those of significance early. Like Dynasty as soon as you can. Then finish out the other half as Ray suggested, with less severe changes. Some may not matter if Dynasty isn't approved or visa versa.

Just be certain all knows what is what.

Last year some rules were proposed the day of, and my old laptop needing a quart of oil wasn't cooperating as I had to change up Draft Buddy on the fly mere seconds before the draft.

It really really torched my draft and draft day experience.