Sign in to follow this  
Tarheel Boy

NBA Award Thread - Post em here

MVP Dirk Nowitzki - He has been outstanding all year long. He's not the flashy type like a Lebron or Kobe, but he has shaken off his NBA Finals meltdown very well and made his team even better this year.

Rookie of the Year Brandon Roy - This is a no brainer. He's been the best player on a bad team, but if they are able to hold onto him, Roy might just make the Trailblazers a solid team in a few years.

6th Man Leandro Barbosa - Another no brainer. This guy has quickly become one of the better players in the league. Even though he started quite a few games, he primarily comes off the bench and he provides instant offense. I think he'll be an All Star next year.

Coach of the Year Jerry Sloan - There were a lot of coaches worthy, but for me it's hard to argue against Sloan. He doesn't have Stockton and Malone anymore, but Boozer and Williams are doing pretty well. Sloan is a great Xs and Os coach.

MVP- Tim Duncan

DPOY- Bruce Bowen

COY- Pop

ROY-James White

6th man- Finley

Ok for real

MVP- Dirk. His numbers aren't eye-popping but his efficiency is. It seems like he rarely wastes a possession with a turnover or horrible shot leaving opportunities for the rest of the team.

DPOY- Tough call on this one. Before the season i would've said AK-47 but now i'm gonna go with bowen. Guards the best player on the other team for one of the best teams in the league. Shawn Marion is in consideration but i'm goin with bowen for the same reason scorsci won an oscar/academy for the dpearted.

COY- Sam Mitchel. Before the season they were expected to be lottery finishers. But with this revamped mostly young roster, they won the division. Jazz had some good pieces before the season. Everyone knew boozer, okur, williams were good. I'm not denying they played above expectations but all 3 were considered good players.

GM- Colangelo. Revamped the roster and now they have a direction when even as little a year ago they didn't have one.

ROY- Roy, and its not even close.

6th Man- I'll go with barboso. Did you know the spurs drafted him then traded him for the suns. It shows the spurs skill in finding talent. I wouldnt mind having barboso still but with the pick they got from the suns, they were able to package that with malik rose to get rid of his bad contract.

mvp kevin garnett

dpy marcus camby

roy lamarcus aldridge

6mn luther head

mip al jefferson

coach van gundy

MVP- :blink:

DPOY- :(

COY- :(

ROY-:sleep:

6th :sleep:

MVP Dirk Nowitzki - He has been outstanding all year long. He's not the flashy type like a Lebron or Kobe, but he has shaken off his NBA Finals meltdown very well and made his team even better this year.

Rookie of the Year Brandon Roy - This is a no brainer. He's been the best player on a bad team, but if they are able to hold onto him, Roy might just make the Trailblazers a solid team in a few years.

6th Man Leandro Barbosa - Another no brainer. This guy has quickly become one of the better players in the league. Even though he started quite a few games, he primarily comes off the bench and he provides instant offense. I think he'll be an All Star next year.

Coach of the Year Jerry Sloan - There were a lot of coaches worthy, but for me it's hard to argue against Sloan. He doesn't have Stockton and Malone anymore, but Boozer and Williams are doing pretty well. Sloan is a great Xs and Os coach.

I'll disagree only on Coach of the Year. I'm going to give my vote to Sam Mitchell of Toronto. I know the East isn't very impressive, but what he did is. That's a young team with a lot of holes, and he's gotten as much out of them as anyone could.

Got no gripe if Sloan gets it. He's been overlooked other years when he's deserved it. Nobody other than he, Mitchell and Nelson should get a vote.

Got no gripe if Sloan gets it. He's been overlooked other years when he's deserved it. Nobody other than he, Mitchell and Nelson should get a vote.

Avery Johnson? :dunno:

GM of the Year: Kevin McHale :thumbsup:

I'll disagree only on Coach of the Year. I'm going to give my vote to Sam Mitchell of Toronto. I know the East isn't very impressive, but what he did is. That's a young team with a lot of holes, and he's gotten as much out of them as anyone could.

Anybody read ESPN the magazine's article about Amechie and what he had to say about Sloan? Pretty harsh.

Avery Johnson? :thumbsup:

Personal preference. I feel like, too often, Coach of the Year goes to guys with superior talent. I understand that it's not just unlocking the gym and letting them play, but I think the award should go to the guy that does the best with the least. IMO, this year, that's the three guys I named.

Johnson has done a great job. But he's got the MVP, and a returning Finals team that has been consistently strong for 5 years +.

Anybody read ESPN the magazine's article about Amechie and what he had to say about Sloan? Pretty harsh.

From what I've heard, Sloan may be unmatched in assholishness. That's probably cost him awards in other seasons, as the media guys hate him too. Guess he at least gets points for consistency. But he's done a great job with a team that's relying on a second year PG thought to be a half step slow; an undersized PF who has typically been considered a poor man's Elton Brand (who is, in turn, typically considered a poor man's fill-in-somebody-much-more-exciting); a 7' who delivers much of his offense from 25' out; and a jack-of-all-trades, master of none, who was injured a lot and is kind of spacey to boot.

ncaa > nba

Aside from quality of play, talent of players, and coaching strategy, you're absolutely right.

Aside from quality of play, talent of players, and coaching strategy, you're absolutely right.

nba is slow and boring, college is more up-tempo and more interesting. NBA is the suck

nba is slow and boring, college is more up-tempo and more interesting. NBA is the suck

Won't ever argue the excitement factor. Crowds, short schedule, strong rivalries, one-and-done tournament format, and the fact that only a small percentage of the players are really reliable shooters, all contribute to the edge-of-the-seat nature of college hoops.

But there's more strategy and coaching adjustments in the first half of the tenth game of an NBA season than in a whole year of college hoops. The players are light years better; just look at how many college 'stars' can't get a sniff at the next level. Those that cry that there's no defense simply don't understand the game well enough to know that the rules are weighted heavily toward elite offensive players vs elite defensive players at all levels.

who cares...who's the thug of the year? that's all that comes from the nba.

Yeah. As opposed to NFL? MLB?

MVP: Steve Nash

Runner up: Dirk

3rd place: T-Mac

I don't need to explain the first two but McGrady deserves at least a 3rd place finish. The Rockets win when he plays and loses when he doesn't...simple as that. I have been very impressed with his overall numbers this year as he has done it all in pts, boards, and ast game after game. The guy sticks to the game plan and doesn't go away from it. The Rockets were like 0-9 last year without him and when Yao went down he carried them and maintained that Top 4 seed this year. Houston is a solid defensive team and plays very well on the road so team success is what it's all about when it comes to the MVP award and they are not only back in the playoffs but got one of the Top 4 seeds. The Rockets don't have a great deal of talent besides him and Yao. I think he proved he is the key guy on that team when they actually improved record wise without Yao. T-Mac has really grown up and is being dominate in more ways than just scoring these days.