Sign in to follow this  
Snoopy1

Reagan Diaries Released.

Reagan was the best! I remember this speech and think it was one of his finest moments. I can still hear his voice reciting it. :wall:

The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved good-bye and "slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God."

"Getting shot hurts. I wish I could shoot Nancy."

"Getting shot hurts. I wish I could shoot Nancy."

That is the canned response for all Eastern Europeans under Communist rule. DIE COMMIE!!!!! :wall:

That is the canned response for all Eastern Europeans under Communist rule. DIE COMMIE!!!!! :wall:

American capitalist pig. My father Nikolai Volkoff teach me to sing Russian national anthem. You will now listen... :wall: :wall:

Reagan was the best! I remember this speech and think it was one of his finest moments. I can still hear his voice reciting it. :argue:

The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved good-bye and "slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God."

You DO understand he didn't actually WRITE that, dontcha?

But, he was a hella line deliverer. No wonder actors make great politicians. All they do is deliver lines somebody else wrote for them. :doublethumbsup:

What sort od diary does a man in the late stages of Alzheimer's write?

"Somebody said something about Iran and weapons and Nicaragua today, but I can't remember exactly what it was they said, or who said it..."

American capitalist pig. My father Nikolai Volkoff teach me to sing Russian national anthem. You will now listen... :doublethumbsup: :argue:

Nixt is da svimvare........vedy nise!

another classic--yet distrubing--reagan quote: "no, i'm not worried about the federal deficit--it's big enough to take care of itself."

another: when he learned the israelis had bombed iraq's nuclear reactor: "well *wink* boys will be boys."

Saturday - "What the hell is going on? Who are these people... what am I doing here? Who am I? Mmmm this cat food taste good. why is that white haired lady yelling at that young man for snorting coke?"

Gurggle gurrgle... uhhhhhh

You DO understand he didn't actually WRITE that, dontcha?

But, he was a hella line deliverer. No wonder actors make great politicians. All they do is deliver lines somebody else wrote for them. :thumbsdown:

Reagan actually wrote, or helped write, the majority of his speeches.

I wasn't a big fan of Reagan when I was younger. 13 or so. It is a learned dislike from my environment. As you get older and understand more, you know that the nonsense going on today would not be an issue with him in office. RIP Mr. President.

He did not.

Read this book and get back to me.

Reagan, In His Own Hand

The Writings of Ronald Reagan that Reveal His Revolutionary Vision for America

Foreword by George P. Shultz

Edited by Kiron K. Skinner and Annelise Anderson and Martin Anderson

Description

Until Alzheimer's disease wreaked its gradual destruction, Ronald Reagan was an inveterate writer. He wrote not only letters, short fiction, poetry, and sports stories, but speeches, newspaper articles, and radio commentary on public policy issues, both foreign and domestic.

Most of Reagan's original writings are pre-presidential. From 1975 to 1979 he gave more than 1,000 daily radio broadcasts, two-thirds of which he wrote himself. They cover every topic imaginable: from labor policy to the nature of communism, from World War II to the second Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty, from the future of Africa and East Asia to that of the United States and the world. They range from highly specific arguments to grand philosophy to personal stories.

Even those who knew him best were largely unaware of Reagan's output. George Shultz, as he explains in the Foreword, was surprised when he first saw the manuscripts, but on reflection he really was not surprised at all. Here is definitive proof that Ronald Reagan was far more than a Great Communicator of other people's ideas. He was very much the author of his own ideas, with a single vision that he pursued relentlessly at home and abroad.

Reagan, In His Own Hand presents this vision through Reagan's radio writings as well as other writings selected from throughout his life: short stories written in high school and college, a poem from his high school yearbook, newspaper articles, letters, and speeches both before and during the presidency. It offers many surprises, beginning with the fact that Reagan's writings exist in such size and breadth at all. While he was writing batches and batches of radio addresses, Reagan was also traveling the country, collaborating on a newspaper column, giving hundreds of speeches, and planning his 1980 campaign. Yet the wide reading and deep research self-evident here suggest a mind constantly at work. The selections are reproduced with Reagan's own edits, offering a unique window into his thought processes.

These writings show that Reagan had carefully considered nearly every issue he would face as president. When he fired the striking air-traffic controllers, many thought that he was simply seizing an unexpected opportunity to strike a blow at organized labor. In fact, as he wrote in the '70s, he was opposed to public-sector unions using strikes. There has been much debate as to whether he deserves credit for the end of the cold war; here, in a 1980 campaign speech draft, he lays out a detailed vision of the grand strategy that he would pursue in order to encourage the Soviet system to collapse of its own weight, completely consistent with the policies of his presidency. Furthermore, in 1984, Reagan drafted comments he would make to Soviet foreign minister Andrei Gromyko at a critical meeting that would eventually lead to history's greatest reductions in armaments.

Ronald Reagan's writings will change his reputation even among some of his closest allies and friends. Here, in his own hand, Reagan the thinker is finally fully revealed.

http://www.simonsays.com/content/book.cfm?...&pid=412214

Listen to your own girlfriend, Anne Coulter, and get back to me. :dunno:

Folks like George Schultz and James Baker desperately tried to prevent Reagan from uttering the most famous lines of his presidency, such as Reagan’s calling the Soviet Union an Evil Empire or demanding, “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.” The speechwriters were the focus of the effort to advocate and implement the Reagan Doctrine, the strategy that brought down the Soviet Empire. Plainly put, without Reagan’s speechwriters like Tony Dolan, Ben Elliott, Clark Judge, Dana Rohrabacher, Josh Gilder, and Peter Robinson, there would have been no Reagan Doctrine

And BTW half-wit. (This is too funny) Your post above? You even bolded the part that says "Most of his writings are Pre-Presidential". (LOL)

Your link has almost nothing to do with the speeches he made as President. - But that poem from his High School yearbook is real purty. :banana:

So, not only is your own post worthless, your Radical Right Girlfriend even biitch slaps you. :D

ROFLMAO. :D

Reagan was the best! I remember this speech and think it was one of his finest moments. I can still hear his voice reciting it. :banana:

This is actually taken from a Poem by

`High Flight,' a sonnet written by John Gillespie Magee, a pilot with the Royal Canadian Air Force in the Second World War. He came to Britain, flew in a Spitfire squadron, and was killed at the age of nineteen on 11 December 1941 during a training flight from the airfield near Scopwick. He told his parents that he had begun this poem at 30,000 feet:

"Oh I Have Slipped

The Surly Bonds of Earth...

Put Out My Hand

And Touched the Face of God"

This is selected from Magee's longer version now called "The Pilot's Creed" and distributed to all RCAF bases.

The speechwriter who knew of the poem and took it's most famous lines was Peggy Noonan, one of the most self-promotional (and subsequently disliked) of the Reagan SpeechWriters.

Most Presidential Speech Writers keep an unspoken code of honor - where they only reluctantly discuss "who wrote what".

If you want to read the whole poem, it's actually quite good. Link below.

http://www.qunl.com/rees0008.html

Listen to your own girlfriend, Anne Coulter, and get back to me. :D

And BTW half-wit. (This is too funny) Your post above? You even bolded the part that says "Most of his writings are Pre-Presidential". (LOL)

Your link has almost nothing to do with the speeches he made as President. - But that poem from his High School yearbook is real purty. :D

So, not only is your own post worthless, your Radical Right Girlfriend even biitch slaps you. :D

ROFLMAO. :D

Um, if you can link to where I have commented one way or the other regarding Coulter mebbe you would have something. I don't recall ever expressing an opinion on her one way or the other.

You obviously haven't read the book. But I wouldn't expect you to have read a whole book that didn't involve Spot the dog, so I'm not shocked. The book covers his life's work, not just his Presidency. So your "I Gotcha" about most of his writings being pre-Presidential is focking assinine since most of his public life was pre-Presidential. Idiot. :mad:

But I have to LMAO at you bringing a link that includes this gem that proves my point Reagan was very involved in his speechwriting:

"Folks like George Schultz and James Baker desperately tried to prevent Reagan from uttering the most famous lines of his presidency, such as Reagan’s calling the Soviet Union an Evil Empire or demanding, “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.”

But I have to LMAO at you bringing a link that includes this gem that proves my point Reagan was very involved in his speechwriting:

"Folks like George Schultz and James Baker desperately tried to prevent Reagan from uttering the most famous lines of his presidency, such as Reagan’s calling the Soviet Union an Evil Empire or demanding, “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.”

Man, you a REALLY bad at reading comprehension aren'tcha?

Damn. It's not even worth it. You're just embarassing yourself now. :mad:

Man, some of you guys are bigger granolas than I thought. Many Dems liked Ronnie. What gives? Are you suggesting Carter and Clinton will have better legacies? :mad:

PWN3D!

you are kinda like the little kid who yells fatty, then runs and hides behind the teacher aren't you?

Man, you a REALLY bad at reading comprehension aren'tcha?

Damn. It's not even worth it. You're just embarassing yourself now. :mad:

If I were you I would give up too. However, you have it backwards. It is you who is embarassing yourself.

First you claimed all Reagan did "is deliver lines somebody else wrote for them.". Then you bring a link clearly showing Reagan said whatever he felt was right.

Who has a problem with reading comprehension?

you are kinda like the little kid who yells fatty, then runs and hides behind the teacher aren't you?

:mad:

If I were you I would give up too. However, you have it backwards. It is you who is embarassing yourself.

First you claimed all Reagan did "is deliver lines somebody else wrote for them.". Then you bring a link clearly showing Reagan said whatever he felt was right.

Who has a problem with reading comprehension?

Man, you really aren't getting it, ARE you?? I don't think you're just being deliberately obtuse, you're just genuiniely that thick. :doh:

The link I posted - I even put the thesis in RED for you - said:

The Writers tried mightily to bypass Reagan's handlers & give Reagan the words that THEY wrote. Without the writers, his most memorable speeches (including the one that started this idiotic little mano-y-moron ) wouldn't have ever been delivered. (Meaning: Reagan wouldn't have thought of them). MOREOVER the so-called "Reagan Doctrine" was a product not of Reagan, but of his speechwriters. - And THAT comes from one of the Radical Right's most extreme Pro-Reaganites.

Seriously, for a while there, I thought you were brighter than Bo/Boz, but to have to spell out that which has ALREADY been spelled out and color-coded for you, dayum... B)

Man, you really aren't getting it, ARE you?? I don't think you're just being deliberately obtuse, you're just genuiniely that thick. :doh:

The link I posted - I even put the thesis in RED for you - said:

The Writers tried mightily to bypass Reagan's handlers & give Reagan the words that THEY wrote. Without the writers, his most memorable speeches (including the one that started this idiotic little mano-y-moron ) wouldn't have ever been delivered. (Meaning: Reagan wouldn't have thought of them). MOREOVER the so-called "Reagan Doctrine" was a product not of Reagan, but of his speechwriters. - And THAT comes from one of the Radical Right's most extreme Pro-Reaganites.

Seriously, for a while there, I thought you were brighter than Bo/Boz, but to have to spell out that which has ALREADY been spelled out and color-coded for you, dayum... B)

First of all you provided no link, just a cherry picked paragraph that has come back to bite you in the ass.

You hang your hat on what your darling Coulter says George Schultz said, I will stick with my link to the book Schultz wrote the forward to himself where he points out how involved Reagan was in his speeches.

Reagan's speeches are written out in his own handwriting. He didn't use a computer. It's kinda hard to argue with words written in his own handwriting. Even your pea-brain should be able to figure that one out.

ETA:

Synopsis:

During the eight years that Ronald Reagan served as US president, many advisers claimed authorship of ideas that comprised "the Reagan revolution". These never-before-seen documents prove definitively that Reagan was the intellectual architect of the prosperity of the 1980s and of the strategy that won the Cold War.

And BTW half-wit.

Mebbe you should refrain from calling someone a "half-wit" until after you learn the difference between posting a link, and a simple cut-and-paste job.

Reagan was the best! I remember this speech and think it was one of his finest moments. I can still hear his voice reciting it. :clap:

I sure hope you dont think Reagan made that up....one of the worst presidents in the history of the good ole usa.

First of all you provided no link, just a cherry picked paragraph that has come back to bite you in the ass.

You hang your hat on what your darling Coulter says George Schultz said, I will stick with my link to the book Schultz wrote the forward to himself where he points out how involved Reagan was in his speeches.

Reagan's speeches are written out in his own handwriting. He didn't use a computer. It's kinda hard to argue with words written in his own handwriting. Even your pea-brain should be able to figure that one out.

ETA:

Synopsis:

During the eight years that Ronald Reagan served as US president, many advisers claimed authorship of ideas that comprised "the Reagan revolution". These never-before-seen documents prove definitively that Reagan was the intellectual architect of the prosperity of the 1980s and of the strategy that won the Cold War.

Prosperity of the 80's??? Yeah, for people who were already rich...

We've already covered this one half-wit. From your own post:

Most of Reagan's original writings are pre-presidential

Damn, you're dense. :banana:

And: Google is your friend. (If you can understand the context of what you find) :rolleyes:

Were there any entries about Reagan tear gassing students at Cal Berkley, or anything about selling illegal arms to a sworn enemy state to fund the illegal contra war?

Were there any entries about Reagan tear gassing students at Cal Berkley, or anything about selling illegal arms to a sworn enemy state to fund the illegal contra war?

Not that I saw, perhaps he forgot those cause he was too busy penning his entries expressing his dismay that Saddam Hussien used the chemical weapons that the US sold him to gas his own people.

Not that I saw, perhaps he forgot those cause he was too busy penning his entries expressing his dismay that Saddam Hussien used the chemical weapons that the US sold him to gas his own people.

Reagan was a cool guy and he was just what our country needed, personality wise, after Nixon/Ford/Carter, but some of the stuff he pulled should have resulted in a trail for treason.

Reagan was a cool guy and he was just what our country needed, personality wise, after Nixon/Ford/Carter, but some of the stuff he pulled should have resulted in a trail for treason.

Agree about the treasonous acts with-in his administration.

I've always wondered how much he knew and didn't know. Some of the stuff I've come across was he was more big picture, with subordinates who may have taken the ball and run off with it. :rolleyes:

We've already covered this one half-wit. From your own post:

Most of Reagan's original writings are pre-presidential

Damn, you're dense. :cry:

And: Google is your friend. (If you can understand the context of what you find) :thumbsup:

Yep. You covered it and I made you look the fool by pointing out the painfully obvious fact that most of Reagan's public life was pre-Presidential, which would explain most of his writings being pre-Presidential.

Look, there is no reason for you to re-hash the same subject just to expose yourself as a baffoon more than once on the same topic, you reach your quota in that department easy enough by doing it just once per topic.

Guest Black Label Society

Say what you want about Reagan, but he got us out of the 40 year+ cold war with Russia.

And anybody who was old can remember back in the 80's that things were very scary for a while.

Takes a man with brass balls to lead an entire country through something like that.

Say what you want about Reagan, but he got us out of the 40 year+ cold war with Russia.

And anybody who was old can remember back in the 80's that things were very scary for a while.

Takes a man with brass balls to lead an entire country through something like that.

So what?? I mean is that a big deal. From what I have seen, Russia was practically a third world country and we were treating them like they were going to stomp on us at any minute. Come on, give me a real Reagan accomplishment. I mean something that was good for the masses of this country...

:mad:

IMO Reagan extended the cold war with all of his rhetoric and military buildup, it gave the Russian hard-liners like Andropov one last grasp at holding power.

Think about it, the USSR couldn't even beat down the Afganistans in thier own back yard in the early 80s, they were pretty much done, thanks to the Truman Doctrine and every president following that for 40 years. Heck, Kennedy's & LBJ's space race, Nixon fracturing the China-Soviet relationship causing the USSR to spend more money on defense, all did more to end the cold war then Reagan, yet he gets the credit cause it happened when he was president.

When Ronald Reagan visited East Berlin, the people there cheered him and thanked him "for his role in liberating the East". Even many leftist analysts, particularly those of a conspiracy bent, are believers. But this view is not universally held; nor should it be. Long the leading Soviet expert on the United States, Georgi Arbatov, head of the Moscow-based Institute for the Study of the U.S.A. and Canada, wrote his memoirs in 1992. A Los Angeles Times book review by Robert Scheer summed up a portion of it:

Arbatov understood all too well the failings of Soviet totalitarianism in comparison to the economy and politics of the West. It is clear from this candid and nuanced memoir that the movement for change had been developing steadily inside the highest corridors of power ever since the death of Stalin. Arbatov not only provides considerable evidence for the controversial notion that this change would have come about without foreign pressure, he insists that the U.S. military buildup during the Reagan years actually impeded this development.

George F. Kennan agrees. The former US ambassador to the Soviet Union, and father of the theory of "containment" of the same country, asserts that "the suggestion that any United States administration had the power to influence decisively the course of a tremendous domestic political upheaval in another great country on another side of the globe is simply childish." He contends that the extreme militarization of American policy strengthened hard-liners in the Soviet Union. "Thus the general effect of Cold War extremism was to delay rather than hasten the great change that overtook the Soviet Union."

Though the arms-race spending undoubtedly damaged the fabric of the Soviet civilian economy and society even more than it did in the United States, this had been going on for 40 years by the time Mikhail Gorbachev came to power without the slightest hint of impending doom. Gorbachev's close adviser, Aleksandr Yakovlev, when asked whether the Reagan administration's higher military spending, combined with its "Evil Empire" rhetoric, forced the Soviet Union into a more conciliatory position, responded:

It played no role. None. I can tell you that with the fullest responsibility. Gorbachev and I were ready for changes in our policy regardless of whether the American president was Reagan, or Kennedy, or someone even more liberal. It was clear that our military spending was enormous and we had to reduce it.

So what?? I mean is that a big deal. From what I have seen, Russia was practically a third world country and we were treating them like they were going to stomp on us at any minute. Come on, give me a real Reagan accomplishment. I mean something that was good for the masses of this country...

The Soviet Union was the biggest threat to the world during the last century. Greater than Germany at any point. Don't discount the hundreds of millions of people who died during heyday of Communism and all the oppression, slavery, and gruesome deaths.

The Soviet Union finally collapsed, but the U.S. certainly helped the process along.