Sign in to follow this  
ajmplaya69

Draft Dominator vs Draft Buddy

Footballguys.com vs. FFtoday.com

The latter definitely has the edge in forums/advice/articles but I'm wondering if anyone has used Football guys Draft Dominator before and how it compares vs ff todays draft buddy.

Footballguys.com vs. FFtoday.com

The latter definitely has the edge in forums/advice/articles but I'm wondering if anyone has used Football guys Draft Dominator before and how it compares vs ff todays draft buddy.

In my last league 92 years), one guy used the Dominator--no playoff appearances

I used the Compiler/Draft Buddy--One title, one second place finish

You know where my loyalty lies

The Compiler/Draft Buddy :banana: :banana:

one is free

other isn't

:banana:

sorry mike :banana:

You get what you pay for.

Sorry Moz.

I have used the Draft Buddy/Compiler the last two years. I finished 2nd and 1st. :banana:

I have not used the other program, although I know that the Football Diehards one was used by another guy in my league last year and he had a few headscratchers that did not quite pan out. :banana:

Don't you get the dominator for free but you have to pay for updates? Free ain't always better Moz. :dunno:

one is free

other isn't

:dunno:

sorry mike :(

Hmmm.... I'm not sure that's the whole story Moz. I believe the program is free for awhile but I'm sure you'll have to pay for any projection updates. In any case, I think you know which one I prefer. :first:

I'm still using a marker, pencils and a bunch of paper cheap sheets.

Sorry, i'm old school.

:dunno:

Read for hours on end on 8 million web sites, Do 8 billion mock drafts. Compile draft lists (or modify one from somewhere else) then draft who has the best value or who your gut tells you to draft, then play your best matchups and pray for no injuries. <----Better than any draft software anywhere.

Draft Buddy FF Today = :dunno:

Draft Dominator FBG = :dunno:

Thanks guys.

I got the free version of Draft dominator last year. You pay for the updates if you want but I decided not to. Where it affected me most was the use of ADP. By having the initial version of it, even with my edits, the ADP affects what the program advises you when drafting. I liked DD but I wouldn't pay for it. However, compiler/db looks cheaper and is tempting for myself to purchase.

Hmmm.... I'm not sure that's the whole story Moz. I believe the program is free for awhile but I'm sure you'll have to pay for any projection updates. In any case, I think you know which one I prefer. :D

MIke if its any consolation if I was going to reach into my pocket it would only be for the Draft Buddy/ compiler thingy from a loyalty perspective :thumbsdown:

MIke if its any consolation if I was going to reach into my pocket it would only be for the Draft Buddy/ compiler thingy from a loyalty perspective :D

Have I told you lately how much I love you?

:thumbsdown:

i never used the draft buddy, but the dominator is always fun when me and my friends get drunk and mess around with mock drafts........other than that i agree with the fella above, you have to keep it old school and just use paper, pencil and YOUR opinion....i go to my draft every year with a Print Out Cheat Sheet(just to use to cross out names)....and i have my own sheet with names, scribbles, highlights all over the place.......i make the playoffs EVERY year, and won the championship twice

i agree, i always look at sites and magazines just for others input.....but when it comes down to it, they know just as much as me, and i just go with my gut feeling

i can go on for days of all the steals i had in drafts over the years.....even a couple long years back when i took Stephen Davis in the last round when he was on the skins, and had his best season EVER......its all in the gut....use the gut

For those saying that you have to form your own opinion and that's why you don't need software, well, the software is a tool. You're not paying for projections. Those are free on the site. What you are getting is the software that will allow you to use the FF projections or your own (or an average), and generate cheat sheets based on that. Using pencil and paper doesn't make much sense when you have a program that can do all your calculations for you and produce whatever info. you need, plus is helpful in mock drafts.

Buying the compiler isn't an excuse not to do any work, although you can use their projections if you want. I buy it every year and use my own projections for players. It's the software tools I want, not someone else's opinion.

Plus I'm in two leagues with Mike and I can't have the same cheat sheets as him. :D

Speaking of which, it's June 7th. Where's my Compiler already?

I have used the draft dominator for 4 years - 2 titles and 4 playoff appearances. I only use it to keep whose left on the board straight and give me the top 4 or 5 players left on the board at each position. You still have to do your research and make your own decisions. With all due respect, I wouldn't rely on any software to make my picks for me.

You guys have to check out the player tab on the compiler/draft buddy set up--great stuff. It's like having your own updated fantasy magazine on your pc...

There is value to "working smart." If you even spend as little as 3-4 hours preparing your draft, time is valuable. You could be spending more time with your family, friends, or doing other things you enjoy.

And if you are using FF to get away from the family, kill time, whatever...you can then play with all the bells and whistles with the compiler and waste as much time as you'd like!!!

Seriously, why would you work hard and not work smart...do both and buy this application--it is money well-spent.

You guys have to check out the player tab on the compiler/draft buddy set up--great stuff. It's like having your own updated fantasy magazine on your pc...

There is value to "working smart." If you even spend as little as 3-4 hours preparing your draft, time is valuable. You could be spending more time with your family, friends, or doing other things you enjoy.

And if you are using FF to get away from the family, kill time, whatever...you can then play with all the bells and whistles with the compiler and waste as much time as you'd like!!!

Seriously, why would you work hard and not work smart...do both and buy this application--it is money well-spent.

That was the first thing I sent Mike, that player page is just plain sweet. Add in the ability to have both FFToday notes and my own notes on each player and I personally don't think it gets any better.

For all those who haven't used it or cling to the old school ways of pencil and paper. Not only has the Compiler/Draft Buddy helped me be infinintely more prepared, it has given me a distinct advantage on draft day. The ability to track not only who is available, but specifically who my opposition has and is in need of has been tremendous. Last year I got curious starting about round 5 and would start to venture guesses as to what positions an owner was going to take next and which player. I was right about 90% of the time on the position and about 70% of that on the player. Guys were coming over to me to asking me what guys ahead of them were going to pick and who was available. We had an issue during the draft where a pick didn't get recorded in time and was autopicked (gotta love CBS). Commish went back to correct it and lost 5-6 picks before that. I was instantly able to give a complete run down of the picks to that point. Bottom line is, although I'm sure I could manage without Compiler/Draft Buddy, I wouldn't want to.

(this was an unsolicited product endorsement, i swear!!!)

That was the first thing I sent Mike, that player page is just plain sweet. Add in the ability to have both FFToday notes and my own notes on each player and I personally don't think it gets any better.

For all those who haven't used it or cling to the old school ways of pencil and paper. Not only has the Compiler/Draft Buddy helped me be infinintely more prepared, it has given me a distinct advantage on draft day. The ability to track not only who is available, but specifically who my opposition has and is in need of has been tremendous. Last year I got curious starting about round 5 and would start to venture guesses as to what positions an owner was going to take next and which player. I was right about 90% of the time on the position and about 70% of that on the player. Guys were coming over to me to asking me what guys ahead of them were going to pick and who was available. We had an issue during the draft where a pick didn't get recorded in time and was autopicked (gotta love CBS). Commish went back to correct it and lost 5-6 picks before that. I was instantly able to give a complete run down of the picks to that point. Bottom line is, although I'm sure I could manage without Compiler/Draft Buddy, I wouldn't want to.

Right with you there...

..how can anyone seriously start a thread like this on this forum ?? Surely we all love the CC/DB :dunno: :D

:banana: I couldn't have said it better myself :P

Good Lord I am on common ground with jgcrawfish :shocking: What's next? Common ground with Murf and hines? :shocking: :shocking:

Speaking of which, it's June 7th. Where's my Compiler already?

Exactly! I just finished checking some email at my desk and was ready to purchase the CC/DB and waste the rest of the day and...Nothing :huh:

:pointstosky: I couldn't have said it better myself :thumbsup:

Good Lord I am on common ground with jgcrawfish :shocking: What's next? Common ground with Murf and hines? :shocking: :

We'll send you your Steelers jersey for this season, just let us know your size! :lol:

Last year, I got tired of paper and pencil. I found this site and the Compiler/Draft Buddy and loved it. In response to this post, I downloaded the Draft Dominator to see how it compares. I only took it through two “mocks” using its suggestions to draft. Here are my observations:

With a few minor exceptions, I was able to set up and use DB last year without any problems. The issues I did have, Mike e-mailed me with a response almost immediately (thanks again, Mike). DD is much more complicated to set up and use. DD is set up for cascading spreadsheets that overlap and are too small to effectively use without taking the time to maximize the screens each time you want to view it. In order to select players in different areas (for instance, who you are selecting as a keeper or who is the next draft pick), you have to keep going back to the player pool screen. Compare that with DB’s pull-down windows.

Because of the small cascading windows, it is a real pain to switch from one function to another. Compare that the DB’s tabs, which give you full screen information. No question that DB is easier to use.

Setting up the team names, scoring system, and draft order were equal. For actually following the draft, which team had which players, trends, or tiering system, DB is much easier to use.

DD has an advantage (for those who want it) in that it actually suggests which player/position you should choose next on a Value Based Scoring method. Of course, it chose Antonio Gates at 1.11 in one method and 1.08 in another (Chicago Bears Defense at 2.08?? <_< )., so it does not necessarily follow the more traditional theories of drafting.

With regards to the Compiler portion of FFToday’s software, I cannot make a comparison. I did not add my own or import any other stats into the Compiler last year. However, where the Compiler can use info from multiple sources, it looks like DD can only use its player projections or if you manually change its player projections.

Finally, DD has some other features – such as using strength of schedule for NFL teams as well as incorporating your own league’s schedule into its draft recommendations. I can see where it might be helpful to use this to run a mock if you have a keeper or dynasty league, but some of the picks were just whacked.

In the end, DB is significantly easier to use and is a much greater help in making your own informed decisions. Perhaps with more use, DD gets easier to use, but I doubt it. If you want your software to simply make decisions for you, DD does that, but beware. I’ll pay for the Compiler/DB again this year.

OK Flaahwker, you can now waste your day away... :(

2007 Compiler/Draft Buddy

Belushi, you're right on with your comments. The Compiler/Draft Buddy is a tool and not something that was intended to do all the work for you. I certainly think we have some good projections in there and if people want to work strictly by those, they certainly can... I do. :mad: But the benefit of the CC/DB, is the organization, the features, and giving you the ability to customize the projections/rankings in anyway you see fit... to make it your own. Its such a feature-rich tool (Depth Charts, ADP, Prior Year Stats, etc.) that does so much more than "tell" you who to draft.

For those saying that you have to form your own opinion and that's why you don't need software, well, the software is a tool. You're not paying for projections. Those are free on the site. What you are getting is the software that will allow you to use the FF projections or your own (or an average), and generate cheat sheets based on that. Using pencil and paper doesn't make much sense when you have a program that can do all your calculations for you and produce whatever info. you need, plus is helpful in mock drafts.

Good points I hadn't thought of. I didn't know it worked that way. :thumbsup:

Also good points Matt, but what do you say to those who have no family, no friends, and fantasy football is the only thing that gives some meaning to their life throughout the year--What do so to those people? :angry:

:headbanger: :D

Last year, I got tired of paper and pencil. I found this site and the Compiler/Draft Buddy and loved it. In response to this post, I downloaded the Draft Dominator to see how it compares. I only took it through two “mocks” using its suggestions to draft. Here are my observations:

With a few minor exceptions, I was able to set up and use DB last year without any problems. The issues I did have, Mike e-mailed me with a response almost immediately (thanks again, Mike). DD is much more complicated to set up and use. DD is set up for cascading spreadsheets that overlap and are too small to effectively use without taking the time to maximize the screens each time you want to view it. In order to select players in different areas (for instance, who you are selecting as a keeper or who is the next draft pick), you have to keep going back to the player pool screen. Compare that with DB’s pull-down windows.

Because of the small cascading windows, it is a real pain to switch from one function to another. Compare that the DB’s tabs, which give you full screen information. No question that DB is easier to use.

Setting up the team names, scoring system, and draft order were equal. For actually following the draft, which team had which players, trends, or tiering system, DB is much easier to use.

DD has an advantage (for those who want it) in that it actually suggests which player/position you should choose next on a Value Based Scoring method. Of course, it chose Antonio Gates at 1.11 in one method and 1.08 in another (Chicago Bears Defense at 2.08?? :lol: )., so it does not necessarily follow the more traditional theories of drafting.

With regards to the Compiler portion of FFToday’s software, I cannot make a comparison. I did not add my own or import any other stats into the Compiler last year. However, where the Compiler can use info from multiple sources, it looks like DD can only use its player projections or if you manually change its player projections.

Finally, DD has some other features – such as using strength of schedule for NFL teams as well as incorporating your own league’s schedule into its draft recommendations. I can see where it might be helpful to use this to run a mock if you have a keeper or dynasty league, but some of the picks were just whacked.

In the end, DB is significantly easier to use and is a much greater help in making your own informed decisions. Perhaps with more use, DD gets easier to use, but I doubt it. If you want your software to simply make decisions for you, DD does that, but beware. I’ll pay for the Compiler/DB again this year.

Finally, DD has some other features – "such as using strength of schedule for NFL teams"

WAIT, I thought DB also uses SOS for NFL teams?

Finally, DD has some other features – "such as using strength of schedule for NFL teams"

WAIT, I thought DB also uses SOS for NFL teams?

DB does not recommend who you should select each round, whereas DD does. That's where I was mentioning that DD takes SOS into account. The Compiler/DB takes SOS into account when it projects yards/scoring for each player. DD gives the impression that it pays attention to your week-by-week schedule and compares your FF team against your opponent. Thus, if your RB is playing a highly rated defense one week, it allocates fewer points to your RB that week in your match up. So it may recommend selecting a different RB in a later round that plays a poor defense that week to help you get a win. I don't know if it succeeds in its prediction, but it gives the impression that that is how it works.

People, these are nothing but educated guesses. If somebody would have told me before the season I'd be starting Ron Dayne and a rookie named Maurice Jones-Drew in the championship I'd have said they need to lay off the crack. All these are is people taking a stab at something that probably won't happen. The power of the CC/DB is that it puts everything in one place, where it's basically instantly accessible. And again, if the guys behind Dominator are off, so is everything in their program. Compiler/Draft buddy allows me to make my own complete list of projections if I so wish and use them alone, averaged w/ FFToday projections or import anybody elses projections. It allows me weight them how I see fit per position and factor in ADP to give me an idea of value of the picks. The strength is in the versatility and amount of data available in the tool...it shouldn't be counted to win the league for you...that's your job.