Sign in to follow this  
Hampton

Why not Cedric?

For those of us picking in the last 1/3 of a 12 man draft, our second round picks are huge. We need to make up ground for the 1st round discrepancy and I cannot come to a conclusion on who to pick. At 10 I'm going to take the leftover of Henry/Bush/possibly Parker, potentially Maroney. On the swing, at 15, I and all of us in this position are going to have to hit if we're to contend. The options are (according to consensus rankings):

at RB:

McGahee

Ronnie Brown

Edge

MJD

Portis

at WR:

SS

Marvin

Owens

Now, I'm a RB/RB kinda guy, but would be willing to try reciever. However, ff is all about deviation, and I don't see a WR helping out there. Won't lose the league with a top-tier WR, but not going to win because of it, either. So nix them. Same logic with Manning.

On to the RBs:

McGahee- perenial disappointment. Why will he be so much better to lead a team to victory?

Ronnie Brown- terrible, terrible offense. Brutal.

Edge- fountain of youth and a new line?

MJD- intriguing. The argument- can last year be duplicated?

Portis- really?

Then you have a stud college RB (#4 overall pick), stepping into his first role as a starter and its IDEAL! Great D? check. Run happy O? check. No RBBC? check. Balanced enough O? check. There will be no 8 in the box. If AP (#7overall pick) were to join the Bears this year, we would be talking 1st round pick. Maroney is in the same situation, but coming off of major injury, and he's getting more love. So then, the only thing it could be is that his skills are just inferior and I don't know if I believe that.

I would not touch mr cancer. I don't see what I want in a runner.

I really wanted to draft Cedric benson this year. I thought about taking him in the 2nd round instead of Harrison.Last week when I watched the monday nite game I changed my mind. Then he had 19 carries for 33 yds. Are you kidding me? I want nothign to do with him.

He has no heart, no balls and he goes down on contact.

Did I mention that his QB is Rex Grossman too.

I didn't like what I saw either. But, he prides himself on being such a tough runner. And last year, in the 2nd half, he was. I think that's a valid argument, but can be made for all the RBs listed above except for MJD.

You saw no other option but WR, then?

I had the 7 pick in a 12 team redraft on Sunday. I thought I would be faced with the dilemma of taking or passing on Benson. He went 2 picks before me. McGahee was also gone. I was targetting those 2 with my 2nd round pick and neither was there. The other guy I considered was Jacobs. I had to choose between Jacobs, Brown, and MJD. It was a tough call. I just love what I've seen from Jacobs so far. Sure, he probably won't be around too long because of the wreckless abandon he plays with, but as long as he stays healthy this year I think I made a wise choice especially in a TD heavy league.

He avg. 4.1 yards the last two years. I don't put that much stock in preseason, esp. for lock starters. Their main mission is not to get hurt.

BTW I got Benson as my number 3 RB in the early third and Willis as my number 2 RB late 2nd. :thumbsup:

He avg. 4.1 yards the last two years. I don't put that much stock in preseason, esp. for lock starters. Their main mission is not to get hurt.

Agreed. I would put no stock in what preseason shows at all. Give him 2 games (minimum) before you even start an assessment.

Agreed. I would put no stock in what preseason shows at all. Give him 2 games (minimum) before you even start an assessment.

They open @ SD :huh:

I agreee that it is a very tough call this year.

Benson is in his 3rd year, and alwats did fine when he would take over for TJones in previous years. He doesn't put moves on people, and is more of the Ricky Williams type of runner. Therefore, I think putting to much stock in preseason would be a mistake. It is defnitly not a sure thing though. So the big question is if you will get just as much value from a running back with that 3rd and 4th pick, as you would for that second pick. Your option would be limited though, as it is a long wait until the draft makes it's way back to the end of the order.

Henry might be there @ 15. he has been falling to mid 2nd round in some drafts. so maybe maroney/Henry? parker/Henry? just a thought.

That would be ideal, but I think I better prepare for that not happening. I think I've yet again talked myself into a team potential. A Maroney/ Benson backfield. And I said I wouldn't do that to myself this year. No guts, no glory, right?

I'm in the minority, but I believe Cedric Benson will have a great year. After watching him for 4 years at Texas, and in limited time with the Bears he has all the tools to be a dominant back in the NFL(size, speed, quickness, vision). I would not expect any young guy with his skills to be happy sitting behind someone else. His 1st year in Chicago was waste due to him coming into camp late. His 2nd year, he played his role as a backup to TJ. I expect him to bust out and starting earning his rookie contract.

350 carries, 4.2 ypc, 1470 Yards, 14 TD's add about another 300 receiving and that's a pretty nice year.

The only thing I worry about with Benson is he's a little loose with the ball at times. I don't get all the negative vibes around this guy...it sounds eerily similar to the way LJ was portrayed sitting behind Priest Holmes.

I posted pretty much this same topic a few weeks ago and it got a lot of responses that you might want to check out.

I dont put a lot of stock into preseason either....so my opinion and hopes remain high for Cedric. I would take him all day in the second round...next season he will be a top 5 pick. :bandana:

I would not touch mr cancer. I don't see what I want in a runner.

I really wanted to draft Cedric benson this year. I thought about taking him in the 2nd round instead of Harrison.Last week when I watched the monday nite game I changed my mind. Then he had 19 carries for 33 yds. Are you kidding me? I want nothign to do with him.

He has no heart, no balls and he goes down on contact.

Did I mention that his QB is Rex Grossman too.

Did you watch him during the regular season and playoff's last year? I wouldn't base my assessment on a few meaningless pre-season carries.

This year's RB class is pretty deep IMO. I think you should be looking at WR, and than go with a RB 3rd rd. You could probably end up with a trio of

Bush (or whomever you take 1st)

SSmith/CJ/Harrison/etc

BJacobs/AGreen/Deuce......

As opposed to

Bush

Benson

Plaxico

Hah! I have a Maroney/Benson backfield in one of my leagues! { I also have L.Johnson so I'm fine with 2 of them every week IMO}

I like Benson this yr for all the reasons mentioned by the poster of this topic.

Great D and a dedicated run offense and now he's the featured back. The only thing I don't like is the other A.Peterson backing up Benson has always played well when given a shot. I hope something crazy doesn't happen like a Dallas situation or something. I don't THINK it'll happen but crazier things have happened.

There are some things to look out for in pre season, When I first saw Edgerin James in a Colt Preseason game along with L.T. in a S.D. pre season game I saw immediately that these two guys were the real deal. Made some notes and made a priority to draft these guys early.

Also I saw enough of Reggie Bush in a preseason game last year to make a determination that he was also destined for greatness.

Cedric does nothing and has shown nothing. Brings nothing to the plate other than being the default RB of a rushing offense in a lack luster Division.

Buyer beware

Why don't I like Benson this year? Three reasons:

1) I think there are A LOT of moufs to feed on the CHI O...numerous WRs and two TEs.

2) From what I've read he's not very popular w/his fellow teammates. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way suggesting the guys on his team would intentionally let up to fock w/him (and their season.) However, I think it's a little bit of wishful thinking to not imagine that might not have an impact.

3) Finally, at that spot you should be taking more of a sure thing IMO...like a top WR. Benson carries some risk. You can get another RB w/a similar amount of risk and upside a round later.

There are some things to look out for in pre season, When I first saw Edgerin James in a Colt Preseason game along with L.T. in a S.D. pre season game I saw immediately that these two guys were the real deal. Made some notes and made a priority to draft these guys early.

Also I saw enough of Reggie Bush in a preseason game last year to make a determination that he was also destined for greatness.

Cedric does nothing and has shown nothing. Brings nothing to the plate other than being the default RB of a rushing offense in a lack luster Division.

Buyer beware

Have you ever wrongly predicted a player to do well or fail based on pre-season games?

:pointstosky:

Have you ever wrongly predicted a player to do well or fail based on pre-season games?

:pointstosky:

yes, joey harrington... will never make the same mistake again.

I'll take my chances on a guy who broke TD records in college on a team with a scrub QB in a run first offense Over that running back in pairs mess. Besides they said most of the bears o.line didn't play against the 49ers.He will have about 12 TD'S and 1200 yds.I do have him in a couple leagues and the thing i don't like is he's not a good receiver as a back.But neither is L.J. or Alexander.The defenses in that division are weak also.When it's windy and snowy in Chicago you think Grossman will be throwing the ball.Pound Benson. Just get Peterson as a cuff to play it safe. good luck.

I'm an MJD guy, but I think Benson is by far your best shot. Everyone else on the list has bigger holes in their possible FF production.

Willis - he hasn't been good since what, his rookie year? Last I checked Balt rushing last year was just OK. It's not like Willis is that much more talented than Jamal too. I don't like Willis that much as a Rb2.

Edge - He blows because he's on Arizona. Listen, if he were still a Colt, we'd be taking him top 6, but he's not. He plays for a miserable rushing team he has NEVER in the 7 years I've been playing FF had a legit #1 or #2 fantasy Rb.

Ronnie Brown - Not good last year. Offense looks putrid this year. blech

Portis - Major injury concerns and maybe RBBC.

Wr's and Qb's - can wait

That leaves Benson as the #1 back in an excellent running situation. He will get the goal line carries. He is the main guy. His team mates don't like him.... huh, well they'll have to learn to get along then. Benson gives you the best odds.

Oh, maybe Jacobs? I like his situation a lot this year. I gotta think MJD and Benson go before Jacobs though. Maybe not.

Cedric Benson is a piece of fvcking crap. I wouldn't touch this piece of $hit with a ten foot poll. He can suck my focking c0ck. :thumbsup:

No Cedric for me because any yardage he gets or TD he scores will be best described by Berman going

"...stumblin' bumblin'...."

i think cedric is an intruguing pick as a rb2 and a talented guy. but i am low on him for one major reason, and its the reason that no one is talking about or has forgotten...HES INJURY PRONE! yes its tru that you roll the dice with any player at any pick. but this guys always hurt, you just dont notice as much cuz he never starts and hasnt played much. ok so lets do the math. a guy rarely plays yet is hurt a lot. hmmmm. sounds like a bad mix. 14 games, 950 and 7 isnt a stretch, but 16 games 1300 and 11 seems like it is. p.s. injury prone!