Sign in to follow this  
Lions_or_Die

Grossman on the Clock

Rex Grossman is an inept NFL QB, at best. His rating yesterday was 53.7 and his completion percentage was 52.2.

How long will Lovie let this go on? Brian Griese is by far a better field general and can overcome his own limitations with that leadership. I am obviously not a Bear's fan, but this is just stupid.

I just know that great Bears defense will be done by midseason if they can never get off the field. This passing and rushing attack isn't that bad as you saw today against a solid SD defense but it's still pretty bad. The job of the offense and kickoff returners is to protect the ball which they didn't do all day with 4 turnovers...so the defense was put in horrible situations in terms of field position and could never get a rest. I've never seen LT shutdown like he was on the ground so Lovie owes it to his defense to get in a QB who can sustain drives and I'd favor Griese over Grossman anyday there.

I did not watch the Bears/Chargers game on TV, but I had it up on my computer while watching my Lions. It is obvious to me that what you said is right on target. The Bears D just plain ran out of gas and couldn't hold the Chargers back any longer. They will suffer that throughout this season when playing against decent to really good teams if Grossman remains at QB. Benson looked totally ineffective to me, but that was against a really good Chargers D so who knows how that will shape up throughout the season.

Guest Mikeock

It really wasnt Grossmans fault yesterday.I watched the whole game. Benson and Peterson both SUCK.They both lost fumbles that absolutely killed Chicago. On Grossman's INT Berrian ran the wrong route. Rex gets the Int on his stats but it should go to Berrian. Im not saying that Grossman is by any stretch of the imagination a good QB BUT he is FAR better than Griese. Unless your league awards points to a QB for handing the ball off than Grossman is the QB that you want to be playing from Chicago.

Remember they had a BAD matchup yesterday @ San Diego ..

It really wasnt Grossmans fault yesterday.I watched the whole game. Benson and Peterson both SUCK.They both lost fumbles that absolutely killed Chicago. On Grossman's INT Berrian ran the wrong route. Rex gets the Int on his stats but it should go to Berrian. Im not saying that Grossman is by any stretch of the imagination a good QB BUT he is FAR better than Griese. Unless your league awards points to a QB for handing the ball off than Grossman is the QB that you want to be playing from Chicago.

Many Detroit fans thought that for a couple of years about Joey Harrington as well. Harrington, regardless of what people think, isn't as horrific as his record seems to portray him. That doesn't make him good enough, necessarily, to start at QB in the NFL. Grossman only passed for 145 yards on 23 attempts yesterday. There are many average QBs in the league that threw better than that in just the first half and with a lesser offense.

It really is time that Chicago stop making excuses for a man impersonating a QB in the NFL. The Bears would have a much better chance at winning this season's SB with the right QB behind center (barring major injuries to key personnel, of course). Grossman is not it. The Bears might not even win the North with Grossman.

I've always been down on Grossman, but he did lead the team to the Super Bowl last year (actually, the D did). That will earn him a bit of a leash from the management.

Grossman made some throws yesterday that Griese CANNOT make. You think for a second if Griese weren't HORRIBLE he'd still be on the bench? The Bears don't have another option, unless Grossman gets hurt.

Benson and Peterson had bad matchups, too.

Bottom line is, last year they won a lot of games despite Grossman's bad performances. If they lose another game or two early-on, you can expect the switch to Griese. You'll se how Benson and peterson suddenly get a little room to run when there's somewhat of a passing threat at the helm.

Fantasy owners really panic lol. Grossman and Benson wont be losing their jobs over this game guys. Thats not how the NFL works. SD has a GREAT defense, Im sure lovie didnt think he would waltz into SD and put up 40 points on them.

Next week against KC you guys will all be saying that Grossman and Benson will be in the Pro bowl. Fantasy Football cracks me up sometimes how people act.

Guest Mikeock
Benson and Peterson had bad matchups, too.

Bottom line is, last year they won a lot of games despite Grossman's bad performances. If they lose another game or two early-on, you can expect the switch to Griese. You'll se how Benson and peterson suddenly get a little room to run when there's somewhat of a passing threat at the helm.

Griese SUCKS...He sucked in Denver,He sucked in Tampa and he SUCKS in Chicago. Maybe if BOB Griese was sitting on the bench than Theyd make the switch. I dont care who played SD yesterday they would have lost. SD is the class of the NFL. All you guys yelling for Griese make me laugh. Like that guy said a couple of posts earlier. If Griese didnt suck,hed be playing.

Griese's Career Stats (9 seasons):

63% - Completion Percentage

84.5 - Passing Rating

104 - TD

80 - Int

18 - Fumbles Lost

vs.

Grossman's (4 seasons plus 1 game):

54.3% - Completion Percentage

71.8 - Passing Rating

27 - TD

27 - Int

7 - Fumbles Lost

For those of you saying Griese can't do it, his career stats prove otherwise. On the other hand, Grossman's prove exactly what he can do. That is not to say Griese is the long term answer, but he is surely a better answer than Grossman (if somebody would just give him a game to prove it).

If the Bears offense struggles even slightly against the Chiefs, something will change in Chicago.

IF you didn't watch the game, please don't comment. Grossman looked absolutely fine against a dominant pass rush yesterday. The interception was all on Bernard Berrian, who simply wasn't watching the play, and in turn cost Rex a possible TD. Grossman, when he had time to pass, made some very good throws. The Bears offense was killed by a couple of fluke fumbles and an inept offensive line/running game. Much of the credit goes to the SD defense, but the Bears O shot themselves in the foot on a couple of occasions.

Fantasy owners really panic lol. Grossman and Benson wont be losing their jobs over this game guys. Thats not how the NFL works. SD has a GREAT defense, Im sure lovie didnt think he would waltz into SD and put up 40 points on them.

Next week against KC you guys will all be saying that Grossman and Benson will be in the Pro bowl. Fantasy Football cracks me up sometimes how people act.

I would hardly call bashing Grossman an over reaction to one week, the guy has been below average for a year now.

IF you didn't watch the game, please don't comment. Grossman looked absolutely fine against a dominant pass rush yesterday. The interception was all on Bernard Berrian, who simply wasn't watching the play, and in turn cost Rex a possible TD. Grossman, when he had time to pass, made some very good throws. The Bears offense was killed by a couple of fluke fumbles and an inept offensive line/running game. Much of the credit goes to the SD defense, but the Bears O shot themselves in the foot on a couple of occasions.

Blah, blah, blah, blah! Grossman sucks as a leader and the QB needs to be the leader. I am confident he will prove that more and more throughout the season.

Guest Mikeock

No kidding...All these guys saying " Grossman this and Grossman that " didnt see the game. The INT that Grossman "threw" should have ben a TD if Berrian did what he was supposwed to do. Wasnt his fault.... SD is NO slouch. Their Defense is sick. Do you think Brady,Manning or Brees would have come into San Diego on opening day and put up 300 yards a 3 TDS ? Not a CHANCE... IF you believe this you clowns know NOTHING about football..Why is no one yelling for Volek to start over Rivers ? Rivers numbers were the same as Rex's yesterday ,although Rivers would have had a GREAT game if V-Jax could catch the football.

Anyways,

All you Grossman bashers get use to it,deal with it all ready .Rex is Chicagos QB and will be barring injury...

Griese is a BUM

First of all, that INT that Rex threw to Bernard Berrian is somewhat Bernard's fault, he absolutely looked lost and confused on the route and gave up on it at the end. But to say that it was going to be a TD if Berrian ran the right route is stupid. There was safety help over the top and they had him blanketed the whole way, the only thing that could of happend if Berrian didn't give up would be an incompletion. The fact that Rex THREW into double coverage deep shows that when things go south for the offense he likes to make everything happen at once and has poor decision making, this results in alot of sacks and fumbles because he likes to wait for the big play in the pocket.

To be honest he has a strong arm, no one is debating that. But Rex time and time again cannot find the big play with his inaccuracy. He panics in the pocket and more often than not throws the ball up for grabs or puts the ball on the ground in order to avoid a sack.

Bottom line is, the Bears don't need Rex to take so many risks. But lets be honest if you watch the Bears at all you know that he loves taking risks all the time. Big time defenses need game management by the offense, not throwing deep and risking getting picked off or sacked for a fumble. I'm a big Denver fan, and I know about how Brian Griese came off, he was supposed to be our next savior after John Elway. He is a great possession QB that can keep drives going, while he lacks the big play abilities he is a solid QB, paired with a juggernaut defense he can be more than suffecient. The ONLY reason that Rex is still starting over Griese is that Lovie Smith is a loyal person, he said that Rex is his man, and he would probably feel that he would betray Rex by pulling him now.

The obvious best solution would be to now sign Byron Leftwich and let Griese play for a couple games to see how he handles the load. If Griese doesn't pan out, you would have Byron taking snaps at practice for at least 2-3 weeks and have him ready to step in. How many teams would Rex start for in the NFL today? Probably none, nobody wants someone as volatile and inconsistant as their quarterback.

But alas, Rex will probably keep being the starting quarterback and the Bears will make the playoffs. Then he will throw up a 2 interception game with a couple of fumbles in the post season and the Bears will go home yet again.

Then I guess we will have to see what good old Rex can do past week one to either prove or disprove my assessment. For those of you supporters who think you know so much about football, let's evaluate a few performances by this great QB from last year:

12/31 against GB, rating 0.0

12/03 against Minn, rating 1.3

11/26 against NE, rating 23.7

11/05 against Mia, rating 36.8

10/16 against Ari, rating 10.2

If Brady, Manning or any other above average QB had this offense to run with this defense, I still believe the Bears would be undefeated. I am free to have that opinion. I have to wonder what the Bears defenders think about the Bears offense led by that great QB? The Bears D was on the field for 37 minutes compared to 23 minutes for their offense. Anybody who knows anything about football realizes the impact on the team when time of possession is so lopsided. The Chargers defense isn't as great as some of you want to make it out to be.

Then I guess we will have to see what good old Rex can do past week one to either prove or disprove my assessment. For those of you supporters who think you know so much about football, let's evaluate a few performances by this great QB from last year:

12/31 against GB, rating 0.0

12/03 against Minn, rating 1.3

11/26 against NE, rating 23.7

11/05 against Mia, rating 36.8

10/16 against Ari, rating 10.2

If Brady, Manning or any other above average QB had this offense to run with this defense, I still believe the Bears would be undefeated. I am free to have that opinion. I have to wonder what the Bears defenders think about the Bears offense led by that great QB? The Bears D was on the field for 37 minutes compared to 23 minutes for their offense. Anybody who knows anything about football realizes the impact on the team when time of possession is so lopsided. The Chargers defense isn't as great as some of you want to make it out to be.

Did you watch any of the game, or do you just want to speak out of your ass. No one is going to argue he had some amazingly shitey performances, and also had some unbelieveably great performances.

He was leading two solid drives when benson and Peterson got fumble itis. He got blindsided without so much as a breath touching their d-backs on 3 of the sacks. Their RB's screwed up great momentum on 2 drives, mcgowan screwed up the 3-0 lead by touching the punt, and their OL played like sieves at times.

Grossman is fine... That game was decided on stupid Chicago turnovers.

SD is good, chicago is good, SD got the short field on a couple of turnovers and that was the difference.

Can't blame the QB when a ground and pound team can't run.

You guys are ridiculous.

Your using this one game where Rex was "below average" and not "kill myself now bad".

He wasn't good or even fine, he was bad. The biggest problem is that Rex's definition of bad is lose the game for the Bears instantly, so this game made him look mediocre.

For the love of god, replace him with Griese or sign Byron Leftwich and the Bears will actually win the big games.

Rex doesn't compliment the Bears, he is holding them back.

I don't understand why some people just look at the small things that he does well but don't look at the monstrous amount of risks and stupid decisions he makes almost every game.

I just know that great Bears defense will be done by midseason if they can never get off the field. This passing and rushing attack isn't that bad as you saw today against a solid SD defense but it's still pretty bad. The job of the offense and kickoff returners is to protect the ball which they didn't do all day with 4 turnovers...so the defense was put in horrible situations in terms of field position and could never get a rest. I've never seen LT shutdown like he was on the ground so Lovie owes it to his defense to get in a QB who can sustain drives and I'd favor Griese over Grossman anyday there.

not to mention the bears lost brown and dvoracek to season-ending knee injuries yesterday.

Did you watch any of the game, or do you just want to speak out of your ass. No one is going to argue he had some amazingly shitey performances, and also had some unbelieveably great performances.

He was leading two solid drives when benson and Peterson got fumble itis. He got blindsided without so much as a breath touching their d-backs on 3 of the sacks. Their RB's screwed up great momentum on 2 drives, mcgowan screwed up the 3-0 lead by touching the punt, and their OL played like sieves at times.

but inconsistency is what makes a mediocre qb a mediocre qb. you can't have the argument both ways. your own excuse here ("sure he sucks some times but once in awhile he looks pretty good") seals the deal: he sucks. sucky qbs are inconsistent. sucky qbs are more than capable of looking like good or even GREAT qbs *some* of the time.

not to mention the bears lost brown and dvoracek to season-ending knee injuries yesterday.

Where was that confirmed? I figured Brown was out, but originally Dusty's wasn't supposed to be as bad.

For me, the three key plays that lost the game were the punt return mishap and the two running back fumbles. How would a different quarterback in these three instances changed the outcomes?

The Bears offense was managed well enough from a QB stand point to win them the game Sunday; they had a 3-0 lead until these turnovers happened, and they did not happen because of Grossman, from what I saw.

I think Grossman has issues. But, I don't think this game necessary alters my view of him one way or another. If I am forced to pick a direction based on this game, I'd have to say I think he's not as bad as I had thought before the season started.

I'd be curious to know what the time of possession difference was before the first of these three turnovers. I think that would've been a better gauge of how Grossman managed the game. He may have still been bad, but at least it would have been based on a more meaningful measure.

You guys are ridiculous.

Your using this one game where Rex was "below average" and not "kill myself now bad".

He wasn't good or even fine, he was bad. The biggest problem is that Rex's definition of bad is lose the game for the Bears instantly, so this game made him look mediocre.

For the love of god, replace him with Griese or sign Byron Leftwich and the Bears will actually win the big games.

Rex doesn't compliment the Bears, he is holding them back.

I don't understand why some people just look at the small things that he does well but don't look at the monstrous amount of risks and stupid decisions he makes almost every game.

Yea Griese would have really stretched the field to allow our RB's more breathing room because he really throws down field well. :pointstosky:

Of course magic Griese, or Captain Neckbeard would have magically prevented the other 3 turnovers that ACTUALLY cost the Bears the game as well right?

Talking about ridiculous. Byron Leftwich? He's fat and bad, and really really bad. You can't be serious? I've now heard it all. You need to call in to Boers and Bernstein and advocate those moves, just for the enjoyment of the rest of us.

I've always been down on Grossman, but he did lead the team to the Super Bowl last year (actually, the D did). That will earn him a bit of a leash from the management.

As I stated in another Grossman post:

Bill Simmons says:

When the '85 Pats made the Super Bowl, we had an unpopular starting QB named Tony Eason who was basically the J.D. Drew of quarterbacks -- perfect on paper, gifted physically, only he carried himself like one of the aliens in "Blade Runner" and always seemed like he'd rather be checking out somebody's new surfboard over playing his favorite sport in front of 50,000 people. (Note: You can read the unabridged version of this analogy in my upcoming coffee table book, "Caught Looking: My 100 Least Favorite J.D. Drew Late-Inning Strikeouts From the '07 Red Sox Season.") After Eason's shaky '85 season (the team took off when he was injured and Steve Grogan turned things around) and complete meltdown in Super Bowl XX (0 for 6 passing, multiple times sacked while assuming the same position that airplane passengers use right before a plane crashes), every Patriots fan made the executive decision, "We will never, ever, EVER win with this guy."

So what happened? Eason drowned out the boos by throwing for 3,328 yards, 19 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions on the '86 AFC East champs. Somewhere along the line, we convinced ourselves that Eason had turned the corner, that the Super Bowl XX experience hardened him, that Grogan had become the Miyagi to Eason's LaRusso. We voyaged to Mile High in Round 2 to play Elway and the Broncos. Eventually, I learned to block all details of this game out of my mind except for one -- in the final few minutes, trailing by three with the ball, deep in our own territory, poor Tony Eason suddenly looked more terrified than Drew Barrymore in the first 10 minutes of "Scream." I have never had less confidence in a Boston athlete, at any point of my life, and you really had to be there to fully understand. There was NO WAY IN HELL Tony Eason was coming through. This was like every clutch J.D. Drew at-bat in 2007 multiplied by a thousand. So it came as no surprise when Eason ended the season in the worst possible way, turtling in the end zone for a freaking safety on a sack by future Reggie Cleveland All-Stars Hall of Famer Rulon Jones.

What does this have to do with the Bears? I think Rex Grossman is about to re-enact Eason's '86 season -- he'll do better than anyone thinks, he'll get Bears fans to lower their collective guard, and then, when it matters most, he'll kill their season with his version of the Rulon Jones safety. And that will be that.

Where was that confirmed? I figured Brown was out, but originally Dusty's wasn't supposed to be as bad.

espn.com has it....

the bears capitalized on many good breaks last year and i said the law of averages were due to swing the other way...

week 1-they scored a fumble recovery on a missed offsides call..but to counter that, a loss and 2 starters lost....

8-8 train is on the tracks...whos riding with me? wooooo wooo.....

( i know i know...save this thread....then delete it after they are 7-9)

The Chicago Bears lost two defensive starters for the season during Sunday's 14-3 loss to the San Diego Chargers.

Safety Mike Brown suffered a season-ending knee injury, while defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek suffered a season-ending torn ACL.

Brown suffered the injury during the fourth quarter of Chicago's season-opening 14-3 loss in San Diego.

Brown has only played 21 regular season games since 2004. He missed 14 games in 2004 (Achilles), four games in 2005 (calf – missed last four games of regular season and returned for playoffs) and 10 games in 2006 (foot).

Dvoracek was starting in the place vacated by former Bears DT Tank Johnson, who was released during the off-season after a series of off-the-field problems derailed his pro football career.

Very unfortunate. Sad to say, but stick a fork in both these guys. Brown was a gamer where he played the game hard and unfortunately just cant stay healthy. Dvoracek is a loss of depth, but not irreplacable obviously. Adams and walker will fill in. Tough losses, but with the depth at safety as well, the D will maintain its strong play.

Didnt see the game as I was travelling yesterday, so wont comment on Rex. Looks like the usual pile on is happening here whether it was justified yesterday or not.

espn.com has it....

the bears capitalized on many good breaks last year and i said the law of averages were due to swing the other way...

week 1-they scored a fumble recovery on a missed offsides call..but to counter that, a loss and 2 starters lost....

8-8 train is on the tracks...whos riding with me? wooooo wooo.....

( i know i know...save this thread....then delete it after they are 7-9)

You're an idiot.

The bears did not get anymore breaks than any other team last year. They lost two probowlers to injury for the year and still made the SB.

Your telling me that you would rather have Rex Grossman as your starting QB rather than Byron Leftwich?

Are you on crack?

To quote a famous scholar ..."THE BEARS ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE! THE BEARS ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!" Only this season, they won't be let off the hook.

But alas, Rex will probably keep being the starting quarterback and the Bears will make the playoffs. Then he will throw up a 2 interception game with a couple of fumbles in the post season and the Bears will go home yet again.

sounds about right.

Yea Griese would have really stretched the field to allow our RB's more breathing room because he really throws down field well. :lol:

Of course magic Griese, or Captain Neckbeard would have magically prevented the other 3 turnovers that ACTUALLY cost the Bears the game as well right?

Talking about ridiculous. Byron Leftwich? He's fat and bad, and really really bad. You can't be serious? I've now heard it all. You need to call in to Boers and Bernstein and advocate those moves, just for the enjoyment of the rest of us.

Well if Byron is fat and really bad then Rex is short and super bad. :overhead: They've both been very injury prone.

I think Leftwich would be good for the Bears. They should have stayed put and drafted him instead trading down and ending up with Grossman in the first place. I've seen Leftwich come back and win games late in the 4th qtr, yet to see that from Rex much. He also doesn't have any fear of a pass rush, to his fault it has shown, but I'd much prefer that over Rex's happy feet and Reche imitations :shocking: . I've defended against the unfair Rex criticisms here too but it doesn't help your cause when you do the same things back. He's got big problems and the longer it goes without seeing any improvement the less likely its going to happen. :wall:

You're an idiot.

The bears did not get anymore breaks than any other team last year. They lost two probowlers to injury for the year and still made the SB.

the truth hurts and you resort to name calling? i admit, i expected more from u...i dont anymore....

you claim to be a bears fan...do you even watch their games?

or do u conveniently ignore the sure dropped td by the lions? or the blown call in the tampa game?...

TWO injuries? boo hoo....are you focking kidding?...

the bears BARELY got by IN chicago vs a seattle team that had a rb with a broken foot..a qb with broken fingers and a seperated left shoulder..a 3rd string center..no full back, so the tight end was there and dbs off the street....

the bears are OVERDUE for bad breaks....and they are coming...

are u on the 8-8 train or not? take those homerism glasses off and shove them up your lovie loving azz....

im an idiot.... :overhead: sure, says the canadian to the guy living where football was focking born..i guess i dont follow the bears after all.... :lol:

the truth hurts and you resort to name calling? i admit, i expected more from u...i dont anymore....

you claim to be a bears fan...do you even watch their games?

or do u conveniently ignore the sure dropped td by the lions? or the blown call in the tampa game?...

TWO injuries? boo hoo....are you focking kidding?...

the bears BARELY got by IN chicago vs a seattle team that had a rb with a broken foot..a qb with broken fingers and a seperated left shoulder..a 3rd string center..no full back, so the tight end was there and dbs off the street....

the bears are OVERDUE for bad breaks....and they are coming...

are u on the 8-8 train or not? take those homerism glasses off and shove them up your lovie loving azz....

im an idiot.... :shocking: sure, says the canadian to the guy living where football was focking born..i guess i dont follow the bears after all.... :wall:

It wasn't 37-6 again but they still won the game right? :overhead: :overhead: :lol:

im an idiot.... :music_guitarred: sure, says the canadian to the guy living where football was focking born..i guess i dont follow the bears after all.... :wall:

Just out of curiosity, where are you saying that football was born?

the point is..

grossman is running out of time to prove he can be a competent starter in this league. They say that teams with excellent defenses just need a qb who can manage the game and not make blundering mistakes. rex grossman, in addition to struggling to figure out defenses, IS making those mistakes.

the argument, "is griese better than grossman" is irrelevent. griese is probably better for this offense because he is a vet. benson and the run blocking need to step it up. if this team has any chance with or without grossman in there, they need a good ground game.