Sign in to follow this  
donhaas

Why aren't we all talking about the Packers?

and Brett Favre :bench: :bench:

Isn't it ridiculous that a team goes 15 years without a losing season and then takes one season to rebuild?? :wall:

Especially when other teams nearby (Detroit/Chicago) take decades to rebuild....

:thumbsdown:

The team you root for is 3-0. Who cares if people think they still suck?

Who thinks they still suck? :cry:

I think after today, people probably are. Even as a Philly fan, I didn't like the week 1 match up, and wasn't surprised GB won at home. The Giants have a ton of question marks, and Manning's injury status took a bit of luster off last week's win for most people.

The game today is a quality win. Though the numbers hadn't been too lopsided the first two weeks, I expected the AFC to continue last year's dominance over the NFC. The Packers beat a team that's supposed to be among the best in the league, and from what I saw, there was nothing shaky about it. That young defense is pretty impressive, and Favre is doing things that I didn't think he was capable of or willing to do.

I'm still not sold they're better than Chicago in the long haul, but it appears they're a solid contender. In the NFC, I would expect 9 wins to make the playoffs. They appear capable of being right there with anyone else in a balanced conference.

I think after today, people probably are. Even as a Philly fan, I didn't like the week 1 match up, and wasn't surprised GB won at home. The Giants have a ton of question marks, and Manning's injury status took a bit of luster off last week's win for most people.

The game today is a quality win. Though the numbers hadn't been too lopsided the first two weeks, I expected the AFC to continue last year's dominance over the NFC. The Packers beat a team that's supposed to be among the best in the league, and from what I saw, there was nothing shaky about it. That young defense is pretty impressive, and Favre is doing things that I didn't think he was capable of or willing to do.

I'm still not sold they're better than Chicago in the long haul, but it appears they're a solid contender. In the NFC, I would expect 9 wins to make the playoffs. They appear capable of being right there with anyone else in a balanced conference.

Well, I rely on you to bring some sanity into my homeristic rants, whether it be UW basketball or Packers...

Running game is obviously a concern along with some bonehead moves and playcalling at the goalline that could have cost them the game. But the team is very young (youngest in the NFL) and they look like they are getting better every week and learning from their mistakes. O-line made some serious strides in pass protection.

I'm not sure what you refer to when you say "Favre is doing things that I didn't think he was capable or willing to do" although you probably only watched the Eagle game.

He seems to be slinging the ball around pretty wildly.

agreed. Looking forward to week 5.

agreed. Looking forward to week 5.

Week 5 is the first week Greasy starts, right? :mad:

Keep hope alive my brother, but I'd rather be an over-achieving 3-0 than crossing my fingers that the league's worst starting QB will keep us from dropping to 1-2 :P

I'm not sure what you refer to when you say "Favre is doing things that I didn't think he was capable or willing to do" although you probably only watched the Eagle game.

He seems to be slinging the ball around pretty wildly.

Going into today, his avg per attempt was the lowest of his career by a substantial amount. He did seem a bit freer with the ball today.

The Packers looked great today. Congrats! Right now, surprisingly, they are the team to beat in the NFC. I say surprisingly only because I didn't see a lot of off season moves to really improve the team. Again, without Favre, what would you say their record would honestly be. The guy is one of the greatest competitors to play the game.

They've got young talent on offense and defense, their future looks bright as a franchise. If Brett can keep Father Time at bay, the Packers could easily become the league's Cinderella story.

Again, without Favre, what would you say their record would honestly be. The guy is one of the greatest competitors to play the game.

I think Rex Grossman really is about the same QB as the co-all time TD record holder Favre, and I'm sure the Pack would be 3-0 with Rexy's fantastic timing, decision making, and laser cannon arm :thumbsdown:

I do :dunno:

worse conclusions were made by much better people that you...

so we won't hold it against you!

wondering who the Packers beat in the ice bowl to go on and win a Superbowl?

while i'm at it, who did they beat both times to win the first two Superbowls???

worse conclusions were made by much better people that you...

so we won't hold it against you!

wondering who the Packers beat in the ice bowl to go on and win a Superbowl?

while i'm at it, who did they beat both times to win the first two Superbowls???

ooh, ooh...I know...is it the same team that is completely overrated for the last 25 years if you take out Jimmy Johnson and Mike Lynn???

I do a bet with a buddy of mine where we predict division winners and wildcards before the season starts. I had packers winning the division, so while i only expected them to go 2-1 during the first 3 weeks, 3-0 is really no suprise. Their defense is stellar. There WR's are amazing........... They have a below average offensive line, and no running game, the really need the line to click or else the running game isnt going to come. Favre can throw his way into the playoffs, but he isnt going to throw his way to too many playoff victories even in the nfc.

and Brett Favre :pointstosky: :pointstosky:

Isn't it ridiculous that a team goes 15 years without a losing season and then takes one season to rebuild?? :pointstosky:

Especially when other teams nearby (Detroit/Chicago) take decades to rebuild....

:banana:

We don't talk about the Packers because Brett Favre hasn't gone on HBO and said white QB's are criticized more than black QB's

I do a bet with a buddy of mine where we predict division winners and wildcards before the season starts. I had packers winning the division, so while i only expected them to go 2-1 during the first 3 weeks, 3-0 is really no suprise. Their defense is stellar. There WR's are amazing........... They have a below average offensive line, and no running game, the really need the line to click or else the running game isnt going to come. Favre can throw his way into the playoffs, but he isnt going to throw his way to too many playoff victories even in the nfc.

Packers have a much better than "below average O-Line"...

The Pass protection has been great. And while the running game has stunk, it is basically the same group that blocked fro Green who had a very solid season last year.

The Pass protection has been great. And while the running game has stunk, it is basically the same group that blocked fro Green who had a very solid season last year.

I would not consider it "much better than below average".

Just a tad bit better...right around average.

That group seems to have regressed from last year though.

Clifton and Tauscher have even been inconsistent.

I'll come here to talk about the Packers! :banana:

Brett looks 10 years younger right now. That team is clicking. Just beat the friggin Chargers. What was that about the AFC being so much better than the NFC?

Damn, it's good to be a Pack fan today.

I'll come here to talk about the Packers! :thumbsup:

Brett looks 10 years younger right now. That team is clicking. Just beat the friggin Chargers. What was that about the AFC being so much better than the NFC?

Damn, it's good to be a Pack fan today.

and Badgers :banana:

I drafted Bjax and Morency, and have since dropped morency for wynn, so i have watched the packers with interest, i do not consider the packers to have a terrible oline, but i bet its in the 15-20 range.

All Favre needs is a little pass protection (which he hasn't had in I don't know how long), and you'll see him play like it was 10 years ago. That's why you see him getting so much attention right now - he's putting the ball where it needs to be because his line is giving him the needed time.

The time he had in today's game was ridiculous. A lot of times he was just sitting there waiting for someone to get open, because his line was taking care of him.

that was a fun game....

the only black mark on the game was the 4th and goal call...inches away.....a pass?....they are lucky that didnt burn them....

this defense is solid..

I'm being quietly optimistic about the Packers. When they released the schedule in the spring, I thought, 'Man, that is brutal!'. Now, I'm wondering what I was worried about! If they can continue this over the next couple of games (Vikes and Bears), I'll be convinced that they are much better than I was giving them credit for. I knew the defense was going to be good before the season started. Let's just hope they get some semblance of a running game going!

The Pass protection was absolutly great and has been all season. Favre had 5-7 seconds a few times.

The Run blocking has regressed but I think at least half the problem is lack of experiance at RB.

The O-Line has played quite well in my opinion. They put Favre in the gun basically half teh plays yesturday, many times without a RB. SD knew they were passing just about each time and the Line still gave him time. One of teh hardest times for a line to block is when the D knows the other team will be passing.

I'm happy with the O-Line.

I am not happy with Jarrett Bush and teh fact that he was isolated on Gates many times.

I'm being quietly optimistic about the Packers. When they released the schedule in the spring, I thought, 'Man, that is brutal!'. Now, I'm wondering what I was worried about! If they can continue this over the next couple of games (Vikes and Bears), I'll be convinced that they are much better than I was giving them credit for. I knew the defense was going to be good before the season started. Let's just hope they get some semblance of a running game going!

they will if they can talk tiki barber out of retirement....

The Packers are so irrelevant, we wouldn't talk about them if they were caught illegally videotaping Brett Farve killing and eating the hearts of pit bulls at halftime.

The Pass protection was absolutly great and has been all season. Favre had 5-7 seconds a few times.

The Run blocking has regressed but I think at least half the problem is lack of experiance at RB.

The O-Line has played quite well in my opinion. They put Favre in the gun basically half teh plays yesturday, many times without a RB. SD knew they were passing just about each time and the Line still gave him time. One of teh hardest times for a line to block is when the D knows the other team will be passing.

I'm happy with the O-Line.

I am not happy with Jarrett Bush and teh fact that he was isolated on Gates many times.

All season? Did you miss the first game? He was running for his life.

Yes, part of the problem is RB...no doubt...but there are times the backs are getting hit in the backfield before even having a chance to find a hole.

I agree they are protecting him better the past 2 games. But Im not calling the line great at this point.

Average is about right. The inability to run the ball is what is putting it at an average mark.

Id rather see Bush on him than Poppinga.

I was trying to not get too excited about the win, but then I look at their competition in the NFC and I think they've got a shot to win the conference. I don't know that they can beat Dallas the way they're playing, but outside of the Cowboys I don't see any other NFC teams better than the Pack right now. If they can get a running game going, I think they've got a great shot. We saw what Detroit is capable of against a quality opponent yesterday, and Chicago just looks terrible. The Eagles are a threat, but they can't play the Lions every week. The Aints might get things turned around, or maybe last year was just a mirage.

Lots of question marks, but things look good so far! :music_guitarred:

All Favre needs is a little pass protection (which he hasn't had in I don't know how long), and you'll see him play like it was 10 years ago. That's why you see him getting so much attention right now - he's putting the ball where it needs to be because his line is giving him the needed time.

Other factors that I feel are helping Favre beside the offensive line:

1. Mike Sherman's not the coach

2. Mike Sherman's not the GM

3. Favre is getting confortable in the new offense, now in it's 2nd year

4. The defense isn't putting pressure on him to do it all himself.

I have to give credit to the coaching staff, too. Other than some boneheaded play calls (4th and inches in the shotgun??), they've really done a nice job. McCarthey's offense is miles ahead of Sherman's and he's not afraid to tell Favre how it has to be.

That said, I wonder how long we can get away with being one dimensional on offense. Eventually we'll have to be able to establish some sort of running game, I would think. :thumbsup: