Sign in to follow this  
Hurricane Ditka

Being Real about the Chicago Bears

The Chicago Bears coming off a Super Bowl where they got beat have become one of the worst teams in the league.

Can't Run

Can't Pass

Can't Block

Can't Run Stop

Can't Defend the Long Pass

The only thing they have done well this season is stand around and watch Devin Hester who if he doesn't return it for a TD, he gives them great field position. What makes losing the Super Bowl cause teams to just dismantle? In recent memory only the Seahawks have even made the playoffs after losing the Super Bowl.

Bottom line is this team is going nowhere, and us Bear fans will have to go back into hibernation once again. See you all in 2020.

The defense is by far the biggest problem...to allow a team like the Vikings to score 3 TD's from 60-75 yds out is disgraceful. The offense has put 24 on the board and that should be enough to win this game. I wasn't aware the 07 Vikings were the 99 Rams but the Bears are making them look like it by giving up big plays like it is nothing.

Harris, Briggs, and Tillman are all active so can't really blame the injuries anymore.

Can't Run

Can't Pass

Hmm...maybe wait until the game is over to judge? Griese did fairly well last week against GB.

And just now, with less than 2 minutes to go, he ties it up at 31-31.

Currently, he's at 381 yards and 3 TDs. Yes, and 2 INTs too, but hey, he's tied the game up.

It's pretty obvious that their defense is what is hurting them.

Hmm...maybe wait until the game is over to judge? Griese did fairly well last week against GB.

And just now, with less than 2 minutes to go, he ties it up at 31-31.

Currently, he's at 381 yards and 3 TDs. Yes, and 2 INTs too, but hey, he's tied the game up.

It's pretty obvious that their defense is what is hurting them.

Judging the team on the season really more than just one game. I am sure that we have more INT's than passing TD's. That equals,, well enough said.

well, u cant suffer all of those injuries and not pay a price...

this is why i said that i couldnt believe that they would try to win a SB with grossman..they owed him NOTHING..the window isnt open that long..but u fall into that false sense of security...my bear fans friends laughed at me..but i told them that i thought they couldve won the SB last year had they had a guy like warner..well, with this year, maybe that actually sounds logical..but the bears were TOO GOOD last year not to win it..seattle had a complete team when they reached..but no D like chicago had..and with injuries and FA, theyll never have again and thats too bad for the bears fans..

everything fell into place for seattle the SB year..good breaks on the field..fluky plays going their way..no injuries..sure, i thought, they lost the sb..but why cant they return the next year?...an injury to SA week 1 and that idea was tanked..an ass kicking by the bears in week 5 and that was that..window was shut...

not that theyd have won with griese..but grossman shouldve been sat after saying he didnt prepare for week 17....

i still think the bears are still in it....even if barely..the nfc is going to be a logjam of 7-9 and 8-8...but they NEED to win the next game or its over..

though i must ask the non bears fans here....am i able to cash in a bet for under 10.5 wins BEFORE a season ends?...i made enough bets to throw 1k on the bears under..is the bet over the week the bears lose game 6?...if so, I think im making a november trip to vegas :music_guitarred:

or do i have to wait for the end of the season?...

my somewhat relaible source tells me that the bears are exploring trading grossman to miami for a pick...good idea? bad?...

and how long will the skins keep brunnell? may as well trade him if ANYONE will take him...

they should trade briggs for a #1 and avoid the headache of losing him outright in FA....(i kid)...i just want seattle to get him...

i could really care less about either the bears or the vikings, but that is some funny, funny shiat peterson put on them today. pathetic! :pointstosky:

hey, urlacher: is that a new tattoo on your back--or tire marks! crassic.

stick the biggest, sharpest fork you can find squarely in the hinny of the bears. and start with their defense first.

The Bears need to get healthy in the secondary in a hurry. With the tackles and linebackers getting blown up, the safeties have to make plays. Losing Mike Brown (again) looks to be huge as the guys playing behind him have on business being on a NFL roster. I wonder if they regret trading Safety Chris Harris and Corner Dante Wesley in the preseason.

The starting secondary of Daniel Manning, Charles Tillman, Adam Archuleta, and Brandon McGowan makes me want to vomit. How smart do the Redskins look after dumping Archuleta on the Bears? When you make the Redskins look smart, you are in real trouble.

If the Vikes get a good qb, they will be solid...their oline is great, and they obviously found the next great NFL rb. Their d is ok, they could be 8-8. The Bears....well the dudes assessment of not going after a qb is dead on. They should have spent a first on a savvy vet.

If the Vikes get a good qb, they will be solid...their oline is great, and they obviously found the next great NFL rb. Their d is ok, they could be 8-8. The Bears....well the dudes assessment of not going after a qb is dead on. They should have spent a first on a savvy vet.

the vikes spending the house to get Hutch is a very underrated move...

seattle misses him with every passing game :wall:

many things wrong right now and all season:

Tommie Harris is still not 100%. Getting the inside pressure and forcing double teams is key for this team and that opens things up for the ends and LBs to make plays at the line. Instead, teams are running on the Bears and getting many big runs. That said, the Vikes have Hutch and Birk inside, so they are strong there and that had alot to do with the running game and pass protection for Minn.

McGowan was owned all day. He missed tackles on all of AP's scores. He sucks bigtime. Safety is a soft spot on this D

Ogunleye missed some tackles and has played way under his paycheck. He should be cut next off season.

Muhammed has aged and despite the TD today, has lost two steps. Also not playing to his contract. He blocks, has leadership and is tough, but his skills and speed are diminishing

The oline played better today, but has taken a step back. Miller and Brown are old and overall they are not creating the running lanes necessary.

Benson is definately not a great back. He goes down too easy and has shown poor vision and drive. That said, the oline hasnt helped him much. I doubt Thomas Jones would have fared much better this year, but having two fresh backs was part of why they were successful.

Griese is a smarter qb, but doesnt have the zip or arm strength that Grossman has. I'll still stick with him for this year and if things get worse and the season is a writeoff, throw Orton in there for the last 4 or 5 games.

Turner is a big problem. His play calling is obvious and unimaginitive.

Overall its an uphill battle for Chi. I felt they needed to win two of the last 3 division games to get in the thick of the race. 3 games back is not over, but GB is winning some key games and are looking good. Chi will need to go at least 8-2 from here on out to have a decent shot at the division or a wildcard. A tall order with the current state of the team.

I wouldnt put it past the bears to go 8-2 the rest of the way and fock up my bet...maybe im just thinking of reputation...

and i am STILL one of the few who like orton....

for all those who dealt with grossmans shortcomings and said, well, hes winning games...

so was orton...maybe my memory of his play is faded...but i liked him at purdue and he was a winner early on with the bears...

griese has never won an important game in the nfl...i like him and all..i got hinm to sign the back of my avs stanley cup ticket from their last Cup win..(hopefully EVER)...

i think the bears losing last week wouldve helped the bears a bit..give them closure and let them know to focus on youth..a trade...something..

winning vs gb keeps the bears in it and maybe false hopes?...

keep losing and get brohn or brennan....

by the way...had the bears picked up culpepper in the offseason, i wouldnt have made that under 10.5 win bet...they would be 500 easily with culpepper...

two weeks ago the lions set an nfl record by scoring 34 fourth-quarter points against the bears (and scoring in every way imaginable)...today peterson sets a viking rb record (222) against the bears.

there ain't enough injury excuses in the galaxy to cover that kind of stink.

it's almost to the point where there needs to be legitimate, serious debate on whether the bears finish in last place or not. seriously.

the legend lives on from the chippewa on down of the big lake they call :SUPER BOWL LOSER CURSE:...the lake it is said never gives up her dead when the lopsided losses come early...

I have never seen a defense that is suppose to be elite implode in the 2nd half like the Bears do. The points, yds, and big plays they give up is pathetic. I guess you can trace this back to when Tim Rattay came in last year in the 2nd half for the Bucs and in about 15 minutes of gametime took them from 7 pts to 31 pts and looked like Peyton Manning. The Lions posted 30+ on them in the 4th quarter two weeks ago and the Vikings posted a season high in pts yesterday and 3 of those 4 TD's were from 60 yards or more...in both cases they looked helpless in the 2nd half. I could buy the fatigue excuse when it was Grossman at QB with all the 3 and outs and horrible turnovers but they are finally scoring pts now with Griese. The bottom line is nicked up or not there were far too many defensive studs on the field today for Chicago to allow Minny to walk all over them.

The bears' biggest problem is that they are not playing last year's schedule. This year's team is a more realistic version of who this team really is than last year's.

Lets be real honest.

I said it for the last 3 years.....

The door only stays open for sooooooo long.

If you choose to stand pat with a bad QB when any Brees, Garcia etc over the last few years could have won you a championship you deserve what you get.

Fans are too close and they can never see it. People from around the country were on this board day after day year after year that Chicago can't win with the QB they have and the entire Chic Bears Club could not figure that out.

Well now you get what you sew.

Start over looking for the key to the door.

Lets be real honest.

I said it for the last 3 years.....

The door only stays open for sooooooo long.

If you choose to stand pat with a bad QB when any Brees, Garcia etc over the last few years could have won you a championship you deserve what you get.

Fans are too close and they can never see it. People from around the country were on this board day after day year after year that Chicago can't win with the QB they have and the entire Chic Bears Club could not figure that out.

Well now you get what you sew.

Start over looking for the key to the door.

the problem was that not only did most bear fans here believe they could get by with the qbs they had--they actually thought grossman was a stud in the making. that's the hilarious part i just can't stop laughing about. "oh, give him time! he's essentially a rookie cuz he's been on IR for nearly his entire career!" and the crassic "he has all the tools to be a top qb in this league."

enough already. i'm peeing my pants even writing this.

I have never seen a defense that is suppose to be elite implode in the 2nd half like the Bears do. The points, yds, and big plays they give up is pathetic. I guess you can trace this back to when Tim Rattay came in last year in the 2nd half for the Bucs and in about 15 minutes of gametime took them from 7 pts to 31 pts and looked like Peyton Manning. The Lions posted 30+ on them in the 4th quarter two weeks ago and the Vikings posted a season high in pts yesterday and 3 of those 4 TD's were from 60 yards or more...in both cases they looked helpless in the 2nd half. I could buy the fatigue excuse when it was Grossman at QB with all the 3 and outs and horrible turnovers but they are finally scoring pts now with Griese. The bottom line is nicked up or not there were far too many defensive studs on the field today for Chicago to allow Minny to walk all over them.

Pretty much every player on the Bears defense(outside of Urlacher, who has not played well this season, at all...) is injured and playing at a level well below 100% What the heck did you expect? Tommie Harris should be shut down for the season, asap, the guy can barely friggin walk after games for crying out loud. His health, or lack-there-of, is the main reason teams can now run on the Bears, when he is healthy, he dominates the opposing offensive line, without him, the whole scheme goes to hell. It's time for the Bears to tank, get healthy, turn Devin Hester into the stud WR he should be(if he didn't have a ten-cent brain, this would be easy) and hope for the best in 2008. Take a tackle or a QB in the first round and pray...

With MIN's awesome o-line, and CHI's weakness against the run last year (not mentioned here but they could be run on last year too), and all the good comments here aside - what I don't understand is that Tavaris Jackson was the QB.

Tavaris Jackson. Of all QB's against whom they could have stacked the line, that would be it. And MIN rushed the ball 43 times, and I think those were all RB's.

I drafted CHI's defense high. Always a mistake I know but with the return game and Griese improving the offense, and with Lovie running things, maybe this gets better.

The Chicago Bears coming off a Super Bowl where they got beat have become one of the worst teams in the league.

Can't Run

Can't Pass

Can't Block

Can't Run Stop

Can't Defend the Long Pass

The only thing they have done well this season is stand around and watch Devin Hester who if he doesn't return it for a TD, he gives them great field position. What makes losing the Super Bowl cause teams to just dismantle? In recent memory only the Seahawks have even made the playoffs after losing the Super Bowl.

Bottom line is this team is going nowhere, and us Bear fans will have to go back into hibernation once again. See you all in 2020.

Hey, not all is lost though. You gotta a beautiful new rack to keep you busy!! :doublethumbsup:

Pretty much every player on the Bears defense(outside of Urlacher, who has not played well this season, at all...) is injured and playing at a level well below 100% What the heck did you expect? Tommie Harris should be shut down for the season, asap, the guy can barely friggin walk after games for crying out loud. His health, or lack-there-of, is the main reason teams can now run on the Bears, when he is healthy, he dominates the opposing offensive line, without him, the whole scheme goes to hell. It's time for the Bears to tank, get healthy, turn Devin Hester into the stud WR he should be(if he didn't have a ten-cent brain, this would be easy) and hope for the best in 2008. Take a tackle or a QB in the first round and pray...

hester doesn't have the hands to be a viable and consistent wr in the nfl.

The Bears don't play fundamental defensive football. They stripped the ball a few times last year instead of tackling, it won them some games and they can't stop that style of play. The 2nd Peterson run should not have been a TD, but the Bear defender grabbed at the ball instead of pushing Peterson out around the 7. They totally suck and this is a major contributor.

If you go to the Super Bowl and lose, then you'd better take a look at your team and figure out what you need to do to become BETTER the next year. The Bears didn't really do this. For the most part, they just tried to remain the SAME, thinking that would get them there again. Big mistake. They are paying for that mistake now.

It's weird how the roles are reversed. Our offense has actually put up a few capable outings with Griese at the helm, but now the defense has gone South. The team's loyalty to two players are a big key to their 2007 downfall.

1) Rex Grossman. As mentioned above, the Bears franchise showed illogical loyalty to a player who had given them nothing up until 2006. They had a chance to make a run at several QBs such as Drew Brees or even a veteran stopgap like Jeff Garcia to plug the hole. All the Bears needed was a smart QB who could manage the clock and not make mistakes, and the perfect solution for that is a veteran who has proven his worth. Now, I don't fault them for giving Grossman a chance after his 2006 season. He showed potential last year, but never recovered after the tailspin that occurred midway through 2006. He had a couple good games down the stretch, but that was it. To give him a chance to see if he'd fix his flaws like many QBs do after their first full season was the right move, but he got worse. It never should have gotten that far, however.

2) Mike Brown. There's no denying his talent when he's on the field, but how many season-ending injuries does he need to have to make the Bears realize that they can't rely on him? The defense is a markedly different bunch with him on the field, and their run D is general atrocious without him there. The front 7 does a solid job against the run, but when a guy does get through them, they go much farther than they should because the safeties we have are hardly that good.

The other thing that irks me is the arrogance of the Bears defensive game planning. It was exposed against the Panthers 2 years ago in the playoffs, and it's rearing its ugly head again this year. The Bears have a capable replacement corner in Ricky Manning Jr. who could take over for the injured Nathan Vasher. However, they state that the nickel corner is a specified role in this cover 2 scheme and that they won't move Manning from it. WTF? They can't honestly tell us that Manning is more important to the nickle package than he would be starting, especially when Todd McBride is the alternative. Not only that, but they keep trying to move Daniel Manning to cornerback when he should be focusing on being Mike Brown's replacement. When they move D. Manning to corner, it forces Brandon McGowan onto the field, who is obviously worthless. It's created large problems in our secondary, which has hurt both the pass and the rush defense.

enough already. i'm peeing my pants even writing this.

That's great that you're pissing yourself. I hate to think of the mess you've made in your pants listening to your own delusional lions dribble all these years.

That's great that you're pissing yourself. I hate to think of the mess you've made in your pants listening to your own delusional lions dribble all these years.

now, walter, don't be sour. there's always hockey for you to watch this time of year.

now, walter, don't be sour. there's always hockey for you to watch this time of year.

thank god for kansas basketball... <_<

Bears problems:

Offensive line which had been one of their strong points is getting old.

QB

They miss Thomas Jones-Dumb move letting him go.

Something is missing from their defense. They are not making the big plays like last year. Could a new defensive coordinator be the problem? :shocking: Not sure if it matters but they don't have the same swagger as last year and the personnel has not changed that much.

so was orton...maybe my memory of his play is faded...but i liked him at purdue and he was a winner early on with the bears...

didn't he have one of the lowest qb ratings in NFL history? I don't think Orton was ever allowed to really develop. They kept the game plans simple for him but from what i remember he did not have the physical skills of Grossman nor the mental skills of a Griese.