Sign in to follow this  
donhaas

Clinton Portis

How's he looking this season???

Hypothetically, is he worth a Plaxico Burress for a team that already has good receivers Edwards/Holt/Cotchery and who's second RB is currently a pathetic Maroney/F. Taylor/E. Graham

Is he due to get hurt?

:overhead:

Washington's O-line is pretty banged up. I think he is going to struggle a little but he should still be good for a few more TD's. He might not get big yardage numbers.

I am not high on Portis.

1) O line is a mess

2) WRs are giving WAS absolutely NO production, so opposing teams can stack up vs/ the run

3) Betts and Sellers are always a risk to vulture goal line

Downside is the O-line is decimated and the schedule is tougher from here on out.

Upside is Gibbs appears to be set on getting Portis a vast majority of the carries, I would say 20-25 from here on out. I don't see the vulture thing as big of a problem anymore. He scored 2 easy ones last week.

I am not high on Portis.

1) O line is a mess

2) WRs are giving WAS absolutely NO production, so opposing teams can stack up vs/ the run

at some point the o-line has to be back intact.... correct? Or are these all season ending injuries...

I'm tired of monkeying around with Maroney :pointstosky: /Graham/F. Taylor and Portis numbers have been comparitively very good

Downside is the O-line is decimated and the schedule is tougher from here on out.

Upside is Gibbs appears to be set on getting Portis a vast majority of the carries, I would say 20-25 from here on out. I don't see the vulture thing as big of a problem anymore. He scored 2 easy ones last week.

Well, on one of his TDs they gave Betts the GL carry before Portis, Betts just didn't happen to convert. They also have given the FB a couple of chances recently.I don't think that Portis is the primary GL back.

As for everything else, Portis is really struggling. His schedule becomes very tough, with his playoff schedule being ridiculously tough.

I think now would be a good time to trade him. His yardage totals have not been good, while his YPC stats have gone down pretty consistently. Not all of that is his fault, as the oline is pretty bad off - but it doesn't really matter who's fault it is - Portis will suffer regardless.

I only owned him in one league (keeper), so I just traded him a couple of days ago. I just decided that with his suffering stats, his tough playoff schedule, banged up oline and limited keeper potential, I just figured it was time to move him.

at some point the o-line has to be back intact.... correct? Or are these all season ending injuries...
1 certain season ender to Jansen, 1 probable season ender to Thomas, 4 others are week to weeks. In other words, the starting line will be 60% at best the rest of the season.

As far as Portis being the primary GL back, after he converted 2 last week, I think he is it. The handwriting is certainly on the wall as far as him getting more touches.

Yes, the Skins' O-line is badly beat up. Still Portis is no worse that the 12th best RB to have going forward. I rank him about #10 going forward. Betts is NO threat whatsoever.

PS- I would try to trade Holt instead of Plax, throw in Fred Taylor if needed to make it happen.

I am not high on Portis.

1) O line is a mess

1) Valid concern, but have been playing pretty well considering. Especially run blocking. Should only improve as the season wears on.

2) Chris Cooley has absolutely shredded anyone that has tried to stack the line.

3) Betts has seen only 44 carries for a paltry 2.9 ypc, and has no TDs. He's absolutely no threat. Sellers has a whole 19 carries on the season and only 1 rushing TD. Hardly an established threat. If anything, he serves to open things up for Portis as opposing D's have to at least respect the FB dive, making it a bit more difficult to key solely on Portis. Further, both Betts and Sellers have come up short on key drives over the last couple of games.

With as many injuries as we've seen to RB's this year, its hard to find many with as much potential as Portis moving forward. The Redskins will be scratching for a playoff spot and Gibbs has a very well documented history of riding his star RB towards the end of the season. If you want to try and play the predict injury game, more power to ya. Portis has yet to miss time. Can the same be said about Jackson, Addai, Alexander, Westbrook, Rudi, Maroney, Henry, Jacobs, Brown, MJD or Cadillac? Good luck with that stategy!

1) Valid concern, but have been playing pretty well considering. Especially run blocking. Should only improve as the season wears on.

2) Chris Cooley has absolutely shredded anyone that has tried to stack the line.

I own Cooley and the problem has been that the injuries to teh O line have forced him into a blocking role, so often he's not even out in a pattern to take advantage of a D focusing on the run. What WAS really needs is for one of their WRs to step up and stretch the field.

3) Betts has seen only 44 carries for a paltry 2.9 ypc, and has no TDs. He's absolutely no threat. Sellers has a whole 19 carries on the season and only 1 rushing TD. Hardly an established threat. If anything, he serves to open things up for Portis as opposing D's have to at least respect the FB dive, making it a bit more difficult to key solely on Portis. Further, both Betts and Sellers have come up short on key drives over the last couple of games.

You make a point about Betts' YPC, which is poor. But what about Portis' YPC?

Clinton Portis averages 3.19 YPC over the last 3 games. Those 3 games were against Detroit, Green Bay and Arizona. 3 teams not really known for their run-stuffing.

The truth is that Portis played decently the first couple of weeks, but has been very poor over the last month. He has scored a couple of TDs, which brought his fantasy points up, but his rushing totals have left a lot to be desired. He hasn't been the dynamic runner that he's been known to be. So with his playoff schedule looking very tough - why would anyone be excited about his potential? What is there to be excited about? His 3 YPC over the last month? The fact that he hasn't had a 100 yard rushing game this season? Or the fact that his longest run this season was only 19 yards?

I don't know about you... But it's not very impressive to me..

Clinton Portis averages 3.19 YPC over the last 3 games. Those 3 games were against Detroit, Green Bay and Arizona. 3 teams not really known for their run-stuffing.

The truth is that Portis played decently the first couple of weeks, but has been very poor over the last month. He has scored a couple of TDs, which brought his fantasy points up, but his rushing totals have left a lot to be desired. He hasn't been the dynamic runner that he's been known to be. So with his playoff schedule looking very tough - why would anyone be excited about his potential? What is there to be excited about? His 3 YPC over the last month? The fact that he hasn't had a 100 yard rushing game this season? Or the fact that his longest run this season was only 19 yards?

Fact is that the Skins have been exposed as having very poor WR. Couple in some dings to Randle El and Moss and even the poor defensive teams are stacking the line. Those guys are finally healthy so the Skins should (I hope) try to stretch the field a bit in the coming weeks. I will give you that Portis does not seem to be as dynamic as he once was, but Betts is getting absolutely nowhere under the same conditions.

I think if you have other solid RBs on your team, then it is a PRIME time to trade portis after last weeks 2 TD effort. If you are stuck with him it may not be the end of the world though. I don't think his remaining schedule is all THAT bad (other than NE this week an MIN):

NE, @NYJ, PHI, DAL, @TB,BUF, CHI, @NYG, @MIN, @DAL

NYJ - GREAT matchup

TB - 25th in points given to RBs this year

BUF - 24th in points given to RBs this year

CHI - 29th in points given to RBs this year (who would have thought this week 1?)

NYG - 17th in points given to RBs this year

PHL, DAL and MIN aren't great matchups, but I'd still play him vs PHL & DAL. MIN maybe not.

Yes, the Skins' O-line is badly beat up. Still Portis is no worse that the 12th best RB to have going forward. I rank him about #10 going forward. Betts is NO threat whatsoever.

PS- I would try to trade Holt instead of Plax, throw in Fred Taylor if needed to make it happen.

I don't know how much Fragile Fred is going to sweeten the deal... :banana:

I guess my question is: Is Plax really that much better than Holt???

Either way.... I have to upgrade my terrible #2 RB.... And I have good WRs just sitting on my bench and he needs WRs...

Back to Portis...

I like that he has a very good defense.... He'll always have a chance to run the ball (maybe not against NE)

Campbell is much better than people give him credit for....

Possible injuries worry me....

You make a point about Betts' YPC, which is poor. But what about Portis' YPC?

I don't know about you... But it's not very impressive to me..

Well lets see. Green Bay is 11th in the league giving up only 100.2 ypg, despite having already faced LT, Westbrook and AD, none of which got a td against them. Oh yeah and LT posted 62 yds (2.8 ypc), while Portis ran for 64 (3.2ypc). LT must really suck right? GB has a very good run D IMO. ARI is 16th in the league. Portis' 2.39 ypc against them was pretty disappointing, but not quite as disappointings as FWP's 1.95 ypc. Hey at least Portis posted a couple TDs. Again, I think Arizona is a little better against the run than most people give them credit for. Detroits run D is pretty bad, ranked 19th, but Portis posted a respectable 4.0 ypc against them. What's so bad about that? By all means though, don't let the facts get in the way of your story.

I've been a little disappointed in Portis, yet, sadly, he is still one of the high-points of my team. :dunno:

As a Redskins fan and a Portis owner I've watched every snap the Skins have had all year. I think the concerns about the O-line are valid...especially the right side. I think it will get better when even the slightly less than mediocre guys like Wade and Heyer get healthy.

Betts is not an issue, especially at the goalline.

If the line gets moderately healthy then I think the offense will improve. Their WRs aren't that bad but Moss has had a few awful games (GB) and both he and Randel El have been banged up as well. I think Campbell has been pretty god but just hasn't gotten a lot of help.

My biggest concerns with Portis are his playoff schedule (because I'm 6-1 and feel like its something I can think about) and Portis himself. He has not looked as good as has the past few years. I don't know what it is but he used to make a cut and get up field so fast and this season I just haven't seen it. He also plays so hard, no other back blocks as violently as Portis does, that he gets up gimpy once about every 4 plays. Troy Aikman has done a few of their games and he loves Portis but he keeps mentioning that he doesn't think Portis is fully healthy. I have to agree and thats why I traded him this week for Edge...we'll see how it works out.

If I were you I'd probably try to get a different back or sub Holt in for Plax like someone else suggested. I wouldn't trade Plax for Portis but you're in a different situation because of your roster.

With the amount on injuries and RBBCs this year give 5 rbs that are in a better situations with better production.

Are you talking about up to this point because the thread is about how he'll do the rest of the year. If you ask me which RBs I'd rather have I'd say:

LT*

Peterson*

LJ

Addai*

Gore

Westbrook*

Edge*

The 5 with the asterisks are in a better situation with better production (depending on scoring).

If Jackson comes back healthy I'd rather have him and possibly Bush, Barber, and Parker. Rudi's also a possiblity if he come back healthy.

Are you talking about up to this point because the thread is about how he'll do the rest of the year. If you ask me which RBs I'd rather have I'd say:

LT*

Peterson*

LJ

Addai*

Gore

Westbrook*

Edge*

The 5 with the asterisks are in a better situation with better production (depending on scoring).

If Jackson comes back healthy I'd rather have him and possibly Bush, Barber, and Parker. Rudi's also a possiblity if he come back healthy.

I'd definitely take LT and AD. I'd probably take Westy over him too, but then I'd have to start going to church and praying a lot. He's the poster boy for injury risk. LJ and Gore are draws IMO. You can keep Addai and Edge. Addai is a constant injury risk and will be playing in a true RBBC IMO. I don't see anywhere near consistent production out of Edge, unless they can somehow stabilize the QB play. I probably would take Bush over him in a PPR league, but I'd put Portis slightly over Barber and FWP. To each his own though...

I'd definitely take LT and AD. I'd probably take Westy over him too, but then I'd have to start going to church and praying a lot. He's the poster boy for injury risk. LJ and Gore are draws IMO. You can keep Addai and Edge. Addai is a constant injury risk and will be playing in a true RBBC IMO. I don't see anywhere near consistent production out of Edge, unless they can somehow stabilize the QB play. I probably would take Bush over him in a PPR league, but I'd put Portis slightly over Barber and FWP. To each his own though...

You're right, we definitely won't agree on all these guys but I'm not sure how you can say Edge hasn't been consistent. He has no other back to worry about, he's on pace for about 380 carries, he's scored 4 rushing tds, and I think he's 3rd in the league in rushing. All this while dealing with the Leinart/Warner shuffle and a game in which Rattay was was in charge the entire game. With his schedule, situation, and performance I'm not sure how you could be more consistent.

Also, I'd take Addai in a RBBC in Indy over Portis getting the full load in Washington and I'm not sure you could find me ten other guys on this site who would choose Portis over Addai.

With the amount on injuries and RBBCs this year give 5 rbs that are in a better situations with better production.

I was just hoping to upgrade Maroney/Graham/F. Taylor..... but if you want to put him in the top-5 for the rest of the season, all the better....

You're right, we definitely won't agree on all these guys but I'm not sure how you can say Edge hasn't been consistent. He has no other back to worry about, he's on pace for about 380 carries, he's scored 4 rushing tds, and I think he's 3rd in the league in rushing. All this while dealing with the Leinart/Warner shuffle and a game in which Rattay was was in charge the entire game. With his schedule, situation, and performance I'm not sure how you could be more consistent.

Also, I'd take Addai in a RBBC in Indy over Portis getting the full load in Washington and I'm not sure you could find me ten other guys on this site who would choose Portis over Addai.

Edge does have a very tempting schedule. If I thought Warner could stay in there, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly, but I don't. IMO, with Rattay as the QB, the defensive gameplan becomes stack the line and make him beat you. I don't have any faith that he can keep the chains moving, which means I see Edge's opportunities taking a turn for the worse. He'll still post good #'s but I'd rather have Portis. As far as Addai goes, you may be right that ten wouldn't agree with me. That said, I see the Indy situation as true RBBC. Addai's opportunities will almost certainly decrease. He'll have some big games no doubt, but so will Keith. I'd rather decrease the chances of a beer bottle being thrown through my plasma, but that's just me.

Offer is still on the table Portis (and Curtis) for Plax....

I am about to pull the trigger unless....

LT*

Peterson*

LJ

Addai*

Gore

Westbrook*

Edge*

I'll give you LT, Peterson, Addai, westbrook = real close

with LJ out of the year.. Portis would be 5th in that list.. esp after his perf last week.

stole him in 2 leagues just before this week's performance. In a ppr league i got him for chambers straight up! and in another league that is not ppr i paid steve smith and donte stallworth for him. glad to be rid of ss

stole him in 2 leagues just before this week's performance. In a ppr league i got him for chambers straight up! and in another league that is not ppr i paid steve smith and donte stallworth for him. glad to be rid of ss

at least vinny may be back this week??? sure beats carr wreck.

just of note, as of right now Portis is on pace for ~1300/300/12.

that's top12 material in most league formats... especially this season w/ all of the injuries and RBBCs. He'll probably end top8.

not too bad for a guy most wrote off as being old, injury prone, washed up, a worse runner than Betts, etc...

glad i wasn't one of those ninconpoops... :doublethumbsup:

just of note, as of right now Portis is on pace for ~1300/300/12.

that's top12 material in most league formats... especially this season w/ all of the injuries and RBBCs. He'll probably end top8.

not too bad for a guy most wrote off as being old, injury prone, washed up, a worse runner than Betts, etc...

glad i wasn't one of those ninconpoops... :thumbsup:

Watched every game this year, and to be 100% honest, his last 2--1 yard TDs shouldn't have been his. Betts got tackled on the 1 on both of those, so as a Portis owner I was happy to see Betts not go in, but I also know I was lucky.....Betts IS getting Red Zone carries, and should have vultured 2 TDs in the last 2 weeks. Portis runs it hard the whold drive, then puts his hand up to go out.

This has to be a concern for Portis owners....that doesn't show up on the stats/highlights, but was in my head watching the games.

I'm thinking of selling high....right now.

Watched every game this year, and to be 100% honest, his last 2--1 yard TDs shouldn't have been his. Betts got tackled on the 1 on both of those, so as a Portis owner I was happy to see Betts not go in, but I also know I was lucky.....Betts IS getting Red Zone carries, and should have vultured 2 TDs in the last 2 weeks. Portis runs it hard the whold drive, then puts his hand up to go out.

This has to be a concern for Portis owners....that doesn't show up on the stats/highlights, but was in my head watching the games.

I'm thinking of selling high....right now.

1-10-WAS 36 (13:55) 17-J.Campbell pass short right to 89-S.Moss to WAS 45 for 9 yards (24-D.Revis). NYJ-24-D.Revis was injured during the play.

2-1-WAS 45 (13:24) #79 Alexander reports as eligible. 26-C.Portis left tackle pushed ob at NYJ 23 for 32 yards (27-A.Elam).

1-10-NYJ 23 (12:55) #79 Alexander reports as eligible. 46-L.Betts left tackle to NYJ 15 for 8 yards (93-K.Coleman, 31-H.Poteat).

2-2-NYJ 15 (12:26) 46-L.Betts left guard to NYJ 9 for 6 yards (50-E.Barton).

1-9-NYJ 9 (11:50) 46-L.Betts left tackle to NYJ 1 for 8 yards (52-D.Harris, 27-A.Elam).

2-1-NYJ 1 (11:11) 26-C.Portis right guard for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. 17-J.Campbell pass to 82-A.Randle El is complete. ATTEMPT SUCCEEDS.

WAS 20 NYJ 17 Plays: 6 Possession: 2:49

Looks like Betts was pulled at the GL for Portis to me...

1-10-WAS 36 (13:55) 17-J.Campbell pass short right to 89-S.Moss to WAS 45 for 9 yards (24-D.Revis). NYJ-24-D.Revis was injured during the play.

2-1-WAS 45 (13:24) #79 Alexander reports as eligible. 26-C.Portis left tackle pushed ob at NYJ 23 for 32 yards (27-A.Elam).

1-10-NYJ 23 (12:55) #79 Alexander reports as eligible. 46-L.Betts left tackle to NYJ 15 for 8 yards (93-K.Coleman, 31-H.Poteat).

1-9-NYJ 9 (11:50) 46-L.Betts left tackle to NYJ 1 for 8 yards (52-D.Harris, 27-A.Elam).

TWO-POINT CONVERSION ATTEMPT. 17-J.Campbell pass to 82-A.Randle El is complete. ATTEMPT SUCCEEDS.

i'm not worried about Portis coming out after breaking off a 32 yd run. Most RBs come out after something like that if they have a decent #2 option... and the fact that Portis was put back in when it was 2nd and 1 at the gl just tells me that Portis is the TD-wh0re of the two, and that Betts doesn't have the nose for the stripe like Portis does. That's further evidenced by looking at their respective TD totals from last season when Portis only played 7 games.

as of right now, he's the #8 RB in my std scoring, non-PPR league... notably like 1 point behind MBIII, and about 20 points behind Ronnie Brown. I see no reason why he wouldn't finish ahead of both of those guys (or at least RB). That puts him basically as the #6 RB this year if things continue like they have been... and this was supposed to be a "down" year for him. Production-wise it was, because he's not going to get the 1500 yds. But FF ranking wise, it's pretty darn good... Sure you could have gotten more points out of other RBs on a weekly basis, but you would have had to constantly pick the right other RBs to play ahead of him.

Portis is a great #2 option this year, especially considering all the injuries. He's #8 in my league right now and I've been very happy with my 4th round pick. I am a little worried because his YPC have been declining (prior to the Jets game) so we'll see how he does. Betts does not seem to be a threat at all, he has not had more than 9 carries since week 1, and I'm actually more concerned about Sellers being a vulture than Betts. The only thing is his schedule is not that favorable, with the Giants, Vikings and Cowboys during playoff weeks.

Portis is a great #2 option this year, especially considering all the injuries. He's #8 in my league right now and I've been very happy with my 4th round pick. I am a little worried because his YPC have been declining (prior to the Jets game) so we'll see how he does. Betts does not seem to be a threat at all, he has not had more than 9 carries since week 1, and I'm actually more concerned about Sellers being a vulture than Betts. The only thing is his schedule is not that favorable, with the Giants, Vikings and Cowboys during playoff weeks.

don't forget about Cooley too... WAS likes to get the ball to those 2 guys in the redzone...

one thing is for certain though, you don't have to worry about the WAS WRs vulturing any tds...

don't forget about Cooley too... WAS likes to get the ball to those 2 guys in the redzone...

one thing is for certain though, you don't have to worry about the WAS WRs vulturing any tds...

:banana:

You're confirming what I said...Betts should've scored...he's been getting stuffed at the 1 for wome reason, and we get the TD, ala Alstott/Dunn.

I'm just concerned, becuase I know this, and the other owners don't....so I can sell him.

You're confirming what I said...Betts should've scored...he's been getting stuffed at the 1 for wome reason, and we get the TD, ala Alstott/Dunn.

I'm just concerned, becuase I know this, and the other owners don't....so I can sell him.

Say what? You said Betts was getting red zone carries. I posted the actual play by play that clearly shows Portis simply grabbed a breather after a 32 yd run, which is pretty typical for any back. Betts then got a few carries and was pulled at the goaline. Portis got 36 carries and obviously the one that mattered the most. So what's your gripe? What RB are you going to trade for that never comes out for a breather?

Now that AD is out, Portis and MBIII have to carry me. Hopefully these last 2 weeks are a sign that he's a workhorse again.