Sign in to follow this  
psunate77

Ice and Heavy Rain forecasted for Pittsburgh Sunday

Sunday Morning will be a wintry Mix changing to Rain, which could be heavy at times, then back to Icand possibly accumulating snow on Monday..

Field should be in great condition..

Sunday Morning will be a wintry Mix changing to Rain, which could be heavy at times, then back to Icand possibly accumulating snow on Monday..

awesome - I'm playing against Big Ben and Heath Miller - I will clinch a bye if I win!

Go Snow Go.

awesome - I'm playing against Big Ben and Heath Miller - I will clinch a bye if I win!

Go Snow Go.

:dunno:

I have Big Ben and Palmer as my only two QBs.

On a good note, he has Chad Johnson. :banana:

A win gets me the total points money, division title and first round bye.

That makes PIT's D a great start this week. Unless Shayne Graham somehow kicks 8 field goals.

Good luck kicking FG's in Heinz. :music_guitarred:

Whats the over/under for that game?

i got it at steelers -7 1/2, +46... if you can catch that line it must be bungles and the under

i focking hate Icand :dunno:

we are getting 7 inches of snow tomorrow...wouldve been more fun for the gb game instead of seeing the game in the nfls worst stadium....

snow will actually pack the field and make heinz smoother..... :thumbsup:

Willie Parker is never going to score another Td in his life is he?

We used to be such good friends, me and him.

i wonder if Cincy might actually be a good play at Defense?

With consideration as to how good Miami's D played in those conditions at Pittsburgh... yea, I guess CIN's D will be a good play.

bodog lists the over/under at 44

i would empty out my kids college fund on this game if i had kids......

load it up.....taking the under....

(then ill tune in and itll be 48 and cloudy) :mad:

Also my site is offering

0-14 points at 18-1

15-21 at 12-1

22-28 9-1

29-35 7-1

Could bet all 4 of those and be ok

Seeing as how they over-use that field so much they probably have a tractor pull there tonight and the circus there tomorrow.

Did I actually read they just threw the new sod over the old grass? Doesn't seem like a good idea from here. Wet, moldy grass is really slippery.

Seeing as how they over-use that field so much they probably have a tractor pull there tonight and the circus there tomorrow.

Did I actually read they just threw the new sod over the old grass? Doesn't seem like a good idea from here. Wet, moldy grass is really slippery.

There were a few issues. First, they decided to put the new sod in the night before the game. Because of time constraints, they had to lay it over top of the old sod (really dirt, but they called that old sod). The new sod was allowed enough time to settle, or at least develop it's own drainage. The dirt devils down there tried to pitchfork drainage into the sod but to no avail. Finally the idiot who "covered" the field when the rains came did a very poor job because there were five seams that completely leaked rain water onto the new sod with no drainage.

One would think they've had enough time to correct the problem, airrate the new sod and get some kind of drainage going. Considering they can't cover the field right, who knows if they're able to prep the field in time for the elements to hit.

One would think if they used their heads, they wouldn't heat the grass, they would let it harden up if the temperatures fell, so when more precipition hits, it won't be another quagmire like the last game.

Can't the play at Pitt Stadium, please?

I've heard this song and dance time and time again. OH!! It's going to rain 5 inches in Seattle on Sunday or there's supposed to be a blizzard in Denver! And then you tune in on game day and it's perfect conditions. Stop your overreacting and play it by ear when the kickoff draws near.

I've heard this song and dance time and time again. OH!! It's going to rain 5 inches in Seattle on Sunday or there's supposed to be a blizzard in Denver! And then you tune in on game day and it's perfect conditions. Stop your overreacting and play it by ear when the kickoff draws near.

JReed is my only roster kicker ... damn I hate doing a WW on a kicker after bye weeks but division title money and bye week are on the line.

I have to think after a week they could do something. Man this reminds me of the 90s when the SF 9ers had issues with their field and a grass expert guy named George magically fixed it .. they should give him a call!!

For what it's worth local tv and the post gazette reported that the field is in great condition now. The replaced large sections of the sod from the underneath as opposed to just laying it on the top of the existing grass. I would't worry about the field but it's going to be freezing and snowy after midnight 2 nite so if u have better options keep that in mind.

For what it's worth local tv and the post gazette reported that the field is in great condition now. The replaced large sections of the sod from the underneath as opposed to just laying it on the top of the existing grass. I would't worry about the field but it's going to be freezing and snowy after midnight 2 nite so if u have better options keep that in mind.

Steelers chairman Dan Rooney said the sod at Heinz Field is in "outstanding" condition for the game against the Cincinnati Bengals and that the team will take extra precaution to prevent some of the problems that existed in Monday night's soggy debacle against the Miami Dolphins.

The forecast for tomorrow night is rain turning to snow, according to the National Weather Service.

The Steelers will use an extra layer of tarpaulin to cover the field, an attempt to prevent water from leaking through the seams of the existing tarp, as it did Monday night.

The Steelers had the field aerated and rolled after the game against the Dolphins and have used blowers in an attempt to dry the sod.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07335/83835...m?cmpid=HBETEXT

Thanks alot phil............got me questioning benching Ben in favor of Warner. :thumbsup:

j/k; all the info helps but going up against the Brady/Moss owner this week, I'm leery of chancing this one. Thanks tho.

Steelers chairman Dan Rooney said the sod at Heinz Field is in "outstanding" condition for the game against the Cincinnati Bengals and that the team will take extra precaution to prevent some of the problems that existed in Monday night's soggy debacle against the Miami Dolphins.

The forecast for tomorrow night is rain turning to snow, according to the National Weather Service.

The Steelers will use an extra layer of tarpaulin to cover the field, an attempt to prevent water from leaking through the seams of the existing tarp, as it did Monday night.

The Steelers had the field aerated and rolled after the game against the Dolphins and have used blowers in an attempt to dry the sod.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07335/83835...m?cmpid=HBETEXT

What many people fail to see is what the real problem was last week. Heinz field is always in "bad" shape around this time of year, because of over-use. The Steelers play on it, the Pitt Panthers play on it, and last weekend, there were regional HS championship games (4 on Friday) played on it. The grass gets worn down (especially between the hashmarks) and is painted green. So the Steelers AND the NFL decided (long before last weekend) to lay new sod overtop the old field on Sunday before the MNF game. Trouble is, they didn't rethink the decision when the weather forecast began to call for OVER AN INCH OF RAIN TO FALL IN ONE DAY! That amount of rain, combined with poor drainage (the new sod wasn't aerated or set up for drainage last week) is what caused that sloppy mud-bowl we saw last week.

I think the field won't be nearly the factor it was last week, for several reasons.

1) Usually rain/snow doesn't hurt offenses as much as people think-it actually helps passing offenses, if the QB can throw a wet ball. Since the WR knows where/when he is going to cut, he can prepare for it, while the defense has to react. Quick reactions are harder. BTW-Ben CAN throw a wet ball, very well; he has proven it many times. I don't know about Carson, maybe a Cincy homer can help out with that.

2) If they were able to roll, dry, and aerate the field (as news reports have said they were), the field should be ready to go, and last weeks rain shouldn't be a factor. Pittsburgh IS expecting rain on Sunday, but not the deluge we got last Monday. The temps are supposed to be in the mid 40's tomorrow, so there shouldn't be any Ice/Snow during the game. The field will be covered (with new tarps, that supposedly won't leak) until game time.

I agree that after last week's debacle that NO ONE should expect the field to be in as bad of shape as it was. Rooney doesn't want the egg on his face nor does the NFL. Also with Cincy's offense (as opposed to Miami's) I doubt Pittsburgh can play the punt, punt, punt til the field position works out.

I'm gonna have an ulcer over this decision.

**fixed**

Willie Parker is never going to score another Td in his life is he?

We used to be such good friends, me and him.

It's frustrating to watch him play this year. Sure he gets the yards, but he gets none of the money carries. Luckily I'm stacked at RB (AP, McGahee, Gore), so I'm not forced to start him every week.

2 TDs through 11 games for a top 5 NFL RB is simply dreadful...

It makes for a lot of tough decisions. At least a good possession receiver like Hines Ward should be a safe play. He had 9 catches for 88 yards in that slop last week. Beyond Hines, it gets really tough. This probably isn't a very comforting thought but the conditions surely won't be as bad as they were last week.

i wonder if Cincy might actually be a good play at Defense?

The last time the FF world had this discussion, Cincy's D went out and gave up 51 points to the Browns.

Just sayin...

Tarp won't be removed till warmups. The turf is dry, rolled and aerated to allow drainage (unlike last week). Unless there is a downpour like last week during warmups and holes in both tarps, I think it will be all right.

I still don't feel real good playing Parker "just in case it's real bad footing", almost think I may roll the dice with Henry. Then again Parker had over 80 yards in the swamp last week.

looked at the detailed forecast just now. looks like light rain in the morning, turning to more consistent showers by game time. i'm thinkin the field will be a mess. still gonna take the under. :overhead:

The way I see it and may be way off in this, but if the new sod is still sitting on a layer of the root network from the old sod that's really wet, any rain that falls will get between that and the new sod layer. The new sod's root network only goes down to the layer it came with and has not had any time to start digging a foothold into the dirt, the equivalant of a throw rug on a floor. It may look pretty, but could turn out to be 'groin pull central'. If it freezes good tonight that may compound it.

With that said, watch them run up and down the field all day. Still like your under bets.

Currently in Pittsburgh, it's a light to misty persistent rain. Not cold enough for it to freeze. In fact, it's not expected to drop below freezing at all, except perhaps overnight. I was at the Steelers/Dolphins game, and the conditions will not be anything near that...both in the air and on the field. I would expect the field to be in decent condition to start the game tonight.

The way I see it and may be way off in this, but if the new sod is still sitting on a layer of the root network from the old sod that's really wet, any rain that falls will get between that and the new sod layer. The new sod's root network only goes down to the layer it came with and has not had any time to start digging a foothold into the dirt, the equivalant of a throw rug on a floor. It may look pretty, but could turn out to be 'groin pull central'. If it freezes good tonight that may compound it.

With that said, watch them run up and down the field all day. Still like your under bets.

I think this is right on....I don't buy how it's any better, what are they spposed to say ? They desperately laid a sod carpet on top of the crap soup....it's not rooting in, and with tons of rain, it sounds like a recipe for disaster. These morons need to stop replacing real turf mid-season, unless the laws of physics that govern the growth of grass don't apply in Pittsburgh ? :rolleyes:

They are a second class city all around....sounds like another 5000 fans....MARK MY WORDS, we'll see a HUGE difference in the empty seats between Philly and Pittsburgh, and you'll understand how the Superbowls are the only thing that Jr. city has on Philly.

I think this is right on....I don't buy how it's any better, what are they spposed to say ? They desperately laid a sod carpet on top of the crap soup....it's not rooting in, and with tons of rain, it sounds like a recipe for disaster. These morons need to stop replacing real turf mid-season, unless the laws of physics that govern the growth of grass don't apply in Pittsburgh ? :cry:

They are a second class city all around....sounds like another 5000 fans....MARK MY WORDS, we'll see a HUGE difference in the empty seats between Philly and Pittsburgh, and you'll understand how the Superbowls are the only thing that Jr. city has on Philly.

I live outside Pittsburgh, but only because my wife's family is from here, and 2 years ago, she wanted to move near her family. So I am not a "Pittsburgher."

That being said, you're a moron.

They did not "desperately laid a sod carpet on top of the crap soup." If you had basic computer or literacy skills, you would know that the sod was laid BEFORE last weeks game. You'd also know that the decision to lay the sod over the old turf was the NFL's decision, and was made well before last weekend. As for the field "not rooting in," it doesn't need to. The problem last week wasn't the new sod shifting or moving, it was the torrential rain that hit the field on Monday. The new sod doesn't need to root in to prevent last weeks problems. We are getting rain here, but not to the extent we got last week. The field has been dried and aerated (something they didn't have time to do last week), and will be double covered with tarps until game time. As to your comment about the empty seats, I can't speak for the Eagles' fans, but Heinz field is always filled (even last week-go back and watch the tape.)

I think this is right on....I don't buy how it's any better, what are they spposed to say ? They desperately laid a sod carpet on top of the crap soup....it's not rooting in, and with tons of rain, it sounds like a recipe for disaster. These morons need to stop replacing real turf mid-season, unless the laws of physics that govern the growth of grass don't apply in Pittsburgh ? :headbanger:

Since you know so much about sod and gardening, Martha Stewart should be calling you to guest-host her show someday. Put an apron on, you green-thumbed puzzy. :banana:

Oh yeah...and thanks for bringing up "class". Shouldn't you be loading up on batteries to throw at Santa Claus again this year?

BTW, I hear there's a lot of empty space in that trophy case in the Eagles offices. :overhead: