Sign in to follow this  
RLLD

Ranking the rookies for this years Dynasty Drafts?

IMHO ~ This year is light on both WR and RB quality aside from McFadden, and heavy on QB quality.

I see the top pick as McFadden, but after that I think people will spring for QB's right away.

Running Backs

1) Darren McFadden, Arkansas

2) Felix Jones, Arkansas

3) Jonathan Stewart, Oregon

4) Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois

5) Kevin Smith, Central Florida

6) Steve Slaton, West Virginia

7) Tashard Choice, Georgia Tech

8) Chris Johnson, East Carolina

9) Mike Hart, Michigan

10) Ray Rice, Rutgers

11) Jorvorskie Lane, Texas A&M

11) Peyton Hillis, Arkansas

Quarterbacks

1) Matt Ryan, Boston College

2) Brian Brohm, Lousiville

3) Andre Woodson, Kentucky

4) Colt Brennan, Hawaii

5) Erik Ainge, Tennessee

6) Chad Henne, Michigan

7) Josh Johnson, San Diego

8) John David Booty, USC

Wide Receivers

1) DeSean Jackson(jr), California

2) Malcom Kelly, Oklahoma

3) James Hardy, Indiana

4) Limas Sweed, Texas

5) Early Doucet, LSU

60 Adarius Bowman, Okla St

IMHO ~ This year is light on both WR and RB quality aside from McFadden, and heavy on QB quality.

I see the top pick as McFadden, but after that I think people will spring for QB's right away.

Running Backs

2) Felix Jones, Arkansas

9) Mike Hart, Michigan

10) Ray Rice, Rutgers

Quarterbacks

4) Colt Brennan, Hawaii

5) Erik Ainge, Tennessee

6) Chad Henne, Michigan

8) John David Booty, USC

Wide Receivers

3) James Hardy, Indiana

4) Limas Sweed, Texas

5) Early Doucet, LSU

I read on here that Slaton is staying. I prefer Stewart over Jones. I would put Rice higher. I would include Jamaal Charles, RB Texas in there around 8 or so. I agree with your QBs, but I would be hesitant to go QB after Woodson in my draft. I personally think Sweed will be the best WR in this daft. I might throw Marcus Monk and Harry Douglas in at the bottom there. It is a pretty shallow WR pool this year. Due to the weak WR's, another interesting guy is Mario Uruttia of Louisville. He is a big guy that could use some polish. Interesting late round guy.

I just read your intro. I think the RB class is fairly deep. I am not sold on the QB class, but we both agree on the poor WR class. There are a lot of good OL in the draft which are worth paying attention to for their indirect fantasy impact.

Good feedback, keep it coming! :angry:

Also...

Tight Ends

Fred Davis, USC

Martin Rucker, Mizzou

John Carlson, Notre Dame

Dustin Keller, Purdue

Martellus Bennett, Texas A&M

The 15th is the deadline to declare for the draft, so this list would be easier after that day. However, if all the big time junior RB's declare (not including Slaton), then I see this as an extremely strong RB class.

I just read your intro. I think the RB class is fairly deep. I am not sold on the QB class, but we both agree on the poor WR class. There are a lot of good OL in the draft which are worth paying attention to for their indirect fantasy impact.

I agree, I think its the deepest RB class in quite a while and it keeps growing. I think there are 5-6 legit star RBs that will come out of this class. I don't see any sure QB prospects either, but I do like Brohm to have some success at the next level.

My early take on NFL success, not necessarily draft order:

1. Darren McFadden, Arkansas

2. Jonathan Stewart, Oregon

3. Ray Rice, Rutgers

4. Felix Jones, Arkansas

5. Jamaal Charles, Texas

6. Kevin Smith, Central Florida

7. Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois

8. Chris Johnson, East Carolina

9. Thomas Brown Georgia

10. Mike Hart, Michigan

Of course I will wait for the RSP to come out to tweak these rankings, as I trust Matt Waldman's oipnions more than my own when it comes to assessing college talent. :rolleyes:

I agree, I think its the deepest RB class in quite a while and it keeps growing. I think there are 5-6 legit star RBs that will come out of this class. I don't see any sure QB prospects either, but I do like Brohm to have some success at the next level.

My early take on NFL success, not necessarily draft order:

3. Ray Rice, Rutgers

4. Felix Jones, Arkansas

5. Jamaal Charles, Texas

6. Kevin Smith, Central Florida

7. Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois

8. Chris Johnson, East Carolina

9. Thomas Brown Georgia

10. Mike Hart, Michigan

Of course I will wait for the RSP to come out to tweak these rankings, as I trust Matt Waldman's oipnions more than my own when it comes to assessing college talent. :doublethumbsup:

I agree complete with your assertion that this is actually a good RB class, it's light on WR, but quality RB and QB can be had deep this year. I like your list more than RLLD's, no list is complete without Jamaal Charles in the top 5. I can't wait for the RSP this year! MUST HIT ON RB, QB AND WR PROSPECTS!!! :(

All good stuff. I think I must be coloring my assessment of the RB class this year based on their physical attributes. IMHO, I do not see Stewart as anything more than a Kevin Faulk, with the potential to go Charlie Garner I guess....

I think I need to go back and watch more games, do a little more reading on the RB's.

But what about the QB's?? I think this year has a deep set of them... :thumbsdown:

What's up with Dixon out of Oregon and has anybody heard of Harrell out of Tech is gonna go?

All good stuff. I think I must be coloring my assessment of the RB class this year based on their physical attributes. IMHO, I do not see Stewart as anything more than a Kevin Faulk, with the potential to go Charlie Garner I guess....

I think I need to go back and watch more games, do a little more reading on the RB's.

But what about the QB's?? I think this year has a deep set of them... :thumbsup:

Stewart is 5'11" and 230 lbs. He's a bruiser with pretty good speed for his size.

Stewart is 5'11" and 230 lbs. He's a bruiser with pretty good speed for his size.

Waldman made a offhand remark about how he was maybe changing his opinion on who the best back was, and thinking he was looking at the wrong back in the Arkansas backfield. It should be interesting to see how Stewart grades out on the RSP.

Also...

Tight Ends

Fred Davis, USC

Martin Rucker, Mizzou

John Carlson, Notre Dame

Dustin Keller, Purdue

Martellus Bennett, Texas A&M

What are your thoughts about the Michigan State TE (dont remember his name)? I watched in their bowl game and think he's a senior. He impressed me and I think he is like 6'6...a good target.

Aight.... :banana:

But what about the QB's?? I think this year has a deep set of them... :banana:

I never get the QBs right. I liked Tim Couch and Joey Harrington alot coming out. Nuff said. :banana: :banana:

And great hands, with a severe mean streak as a blocker. I've seen him play 4 times in last two years and watched quite a bit of him on telly. I think Wildman mentioned a while back about his grading out on Nike "athlete" testing service called SPARQ wherein he was head and shoulders above just about everyone (not just football players use this BTW) who's ever taken the tests. McFadden still looks like #1 to me as NFL back in short term but IMO Stewart will have longer, stronger career. Think Jamal Lewis with better receiving skills and speed coming in......

I think overall on both sides of the ball....this is a really bad draft. Maybe we were just spoiled over the last few years...

I think overall on both sides of the ball....this is a really bad draft. Maybe we were just spoiled over the last few years...

Disagree here. Last year was as thin an offensive draft as I can remember. 2 basic franchise RB, maybe 2-3 good WR, 2-3 good WR. I'm talking about guys you can pencil in as starters very soon and keep them there for a long time. I think there are closer to 5 RB this year, at least 3 QB but leaner at WR.

If you run IDP in your fantasy league then you should really love the Defensive Linemen this year I think.

Running Backs

2) Felix Jones, Arkansas

9) Mike Hart, Michigan

10) Ray Rice, Rutgers

Quarterbacks

4) Colt Brennan, Hawaii

5) Erik Ainge, Tennessee

6) Chad Henne, Michigan

8) John David Booty, USC

Wide Receivers

3) James Hardy, Indiana

4) Limas Sweed, Texas

5) Early Doucet, LSU

I would have Mike Hart a lot higher

and Felix Jones I think fades.

I am a UK alum and will say you have Woodson too focking high - The guy is a bigger Andre Ware.

I really Like Kevin Smith to shoot up after the combine.

What are your thoughts about the Michigan State TE (dont remember his name)? I watched in their bowl game and think he's a senior. He impressed me and I think he is like 6'6...a good target.

Kellen Davis. I honestly do not know much about him.

Disagree here. Last year was as thin an offensive draft as I can remember. 2 basic franchise RB, maybe 2-3 good WR, 2-3 good WR. I'm talking about guys you can pencil in as starters very soon and keep them there for a long time. I think there are closer to 5 RB this year, at least 3 QB but leaner at WR.

Maybe its just less big names.....I mean there were freaks last year...this year...not really any.

this is pointless....arent the best rookies dependant on what team/situation?

AD- Minny didn't make the playoffs...

Marshawn- Bills didn't make it.

Bowe- KC didn't make it.

I'm not saying that this is how they SHOULD be ranked...but I think this is how they'll be drafted...

QBs:

1. Matt Ryan, BC

2. Andre Woodson, Kentucky

3. Brian Brohm, Louisville

4. Colt Brennan, Hawaii

5. Joe Flacco, Delaware

6. Chad Henne, Michigan

7. Eric Ainge, Tennessee

8. Dennis Dixon, Oregon

9. John David Booty, USC

10. Josh Johnson, San Diego

RBs:

3. Felix Jones, Arkansas

4. Ray Rice, Rutgers

5. Jamal Charles, Texas

6. Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois

7. Steve Slayton, West Virginia

8. Kevin Smith, Central Florida

9. Mike Hart, Michigan

10. Chris Johnson, East Carolina

11. Tashard Choice, Georgia Tech

12. Matt Forte, Tulane

WRs:

1. DeSean Jackson, Cal

2. Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma

3. Early Doucet, LSU

4. Limas Sweed, Texas

5. Mario Manningham, Michigan

6. Adarius Bowman, Oklahoma State

7. James Hardy, Indiana

8. Keenan Burton, Kentucky

9. D.J. Hall, Alabama

10. Andre Caldwell, Florida

11. Harry Douglas, Louisville

12. Lavelle Hawkins, Cal

TE:

1. John Carlson, Notre Dame

2. Martin Rucker, Missouri

3. Fred Davis, USC

4. Jacob Tamme, Kentucky

5. Dustin Keller, Purdue

6. Brad Cottam, Tennessee

7. Gary Barnridge, Louisville

8. Craig Stevens, Cal

9. Kellen Davis, Michigan State

10. Joey Haynos, Maryland

Somtimes its good to assess the talent before the situation clouds the picture. Obviously dynasty draft order will to some extent be dependant on where these guys end up, but I don't see this as pointless as you want to get a grasp on talent as well.

It's never too early to discuss the rookies imo. I know a little bit about the quarterback and running back class. Anyone have any insight on the wr and te class? Any TE worthy of a top 10 rookie pick or are all of them 2nd round and lower grades?

It's never too early to discuss the rookies imo. I know a little bit about the quarterback and running back class. Anyone have any insight on the wr and te class? Any TE worthy of a top 10 rookie pick or are all of them 2nd round and lower grades?

IMO, a whole lot will depend on the offensive situation that these TEs enter. Personally, I think this is a relatively good TE class, especially at the top. I think Carlson has the best chance of making an impact his rookie year; but like I said, a lot will depend on the offense that he enters (i.e. the system, the play-calling, the quality of the QB, etc.). Personally, I'm high on Martin Rucker out of Missouri -- and I think he could eventually end up being the best TE in this class in 2-3 years.

Also, I think this may be a good year to take FF fliers on a couple of potential TEs in the dynasty format -- like Brad Cottham (of Tennessee), who has great size and could be a force in the redzone; or Jacob Tamme (of Kentucky), who needs to improve his blocking but is already a very good pass-catcher.

Just my $.02... :doublethumbsup:

IMO, a whole lot will depend on the offensive situation that these TEs enter. Personally, I think this is a relatively good TE class, especially at the top. I think Carlson has the best chance of making an impact his rookie year; but like I said, a lot will depend on the offense that he enters (i.e. the system, the play-calling, the quality of the QB, etc.). Personally, I'm high on Martin Rucker out of Missouri -- and I think he could eventually end up being the best TE in this class in 2-3 years.

Also, I think this may be a good year to take FF fliers on a couple of potential TEs in the dynasty format -- like Brad Cottham (of Tennessee), who has great size and could be a force in the redzone; or Jacob Tamme (of Kentucky), who needs to improve his blocking but is already a very good pass-catcher.

Just my $.02... :D

Thanks for the insights!! :pointstosky:

Pointless? Not really. Usually, I just throw darts at the board and pick who I hit.

Phhfffffftttt! Ernie Wheelwright? 6'5 Sounds like a TE!!! Maybe I can trade that pick for Gary Russell?

Admittedly, my largest keeper league is 5 but I look at the rooks all off season anyway. Rookie RBs that succeed within 2 years are gold in this league.

My approach to this list would be strongly focused on the RBs. I have 3 picks in my first round and plan on drafting 2 rooks. I figure there will be 3-4 picks that are good enough to take wherever they go and another 2-3 that might be worth it on the right team. Im interested in the top 7-8 rook RBs and top WR.

good thread

Pointless? Not really. Usually, I just throw darts at the board and pick who I hit.

Phhfffffftttt! Ernie Wheelwright? 6'5 Sounds like a TE!!! Maybe I can trade that pick for Gary Russell?

jaxjag...where'd you pull that name from? he's not on any of the lists in this thread. :mad:

Obviously dynasty draft order will to some extent be dependant on where these guys end up

That's a mistake a lot of people make though when dealing with rookies in Dynasty Leagues.... People take a guy who seems to be in a better situation but talent "usually" shines through in the long run...

Or sometimes even right off the bat like for instance in my Dynasty this past year I clearly had Dwayne Bowe ranked as my # 2 Wr coming in, but a lot of people skipped over him in my league because KC is wasteland for WR's and a guy like Robert Meachem was drafted ahead of him because New Orleans "seemed" like a better place to shine...

I myself was almost swayed into drafting on situation because I traded Terrell Owens and a bunch of $hit to move up to get the # 1 pick this year in my Dynasty and I was contimplating all last off-season if i should go with AD (sure to split time in Minny and injury prone) or Marshawn Lynch (should be the clear cut starter in Buff)... thankfully I rolled the dice with the better "talent"....

:pointstosky: AD :pointstosky:

This is the first year I will be in a dynasty....this is the first year of this leagues creation.

Generally how deep is a dynasty team? I think the commish is going for a really deep roster.

all depends on roster size and number of teams.

I'm in two leagues, one 10 team/28 man roster and a 12 team/30 man roster.

10 team league;

57 of the top 60 rbs were rostered. 58 of the top 60 wrs were rostered.

12 team league;

80 of the top 85 rbs were rostered. 92 of the top 100 wrs were rostered.

This is the first year I will be in a dynasty....this is the first year of this leagues creation.

Generally how deep is a dynasty team? I think the commish is going for a really deep roster.

i was in my first one this past year, IDP/PPR dynasty, 25 man roster...crazy complicated...was my first IDP, first PPR and first Dynasty all rolled into one. I realized how much I don't know. I think you have a huge advantage getting to build your team right from the start, I inherited the 3rd worst team in the league out of 12 and promptly had enough injuries, and bad coaching decisions to make the 2nd worst team. That 25 man roster is major, and like you'd think, most stock up on offensive talent. A roster that deep really makes you do your homework.

It all depends... its just like any other fantasy league.... It depends on how your commish sets it up...

Mine that I've been running for 10+ years is a Full Dynasty.... 12 teams, 38 man rosters, plus we have a 10 round rookie/FA draft, then we have our roster cut day before the season starts to shave rosters back to 38.... We play full IDP though with 8 starters..... However like I said it depends what your commish wants to do... no limits to what you can do in a Dynasty, people have them with all different size rosters.... some use salary caps, free agency, etc...., etc... etc...

P.S. - Good Luck in your first Dynasty... I can't imagine playing any other way..... Dynasty :thumbsdown:

That's a mistake a lot of people make though when dealing with rookies in Dynasty Leagues.... People take a guy who seems to be in a better situation but talent "usually" shines through in the long run...

Or sometimes even right off the bat like for instance in my Dynasty this past year I clearly had Dwayne Bowe ranked as my # 2 Wr coming in, but a lot of people skipped over him in my league because KC is wasteland for WR's and a guy like Robert Meachem was drafted ahead of him because New Orleans "seemed" like a better place to shine...

I myself was almost swayed into drafting on situation because I traded Terrell Owens and a bunch of $hit to move up to get the # 1 pick this year in my Dynasty and I was contimplating all last off-season if i should go with AD (sure to split time in Minny and injury prone) or Marshawn Lynch (should be the clear cut starter in Buff)... thankfully I rolled the dice with the better "talent"....

:thumbsdown: AD :thumbsdown:

Agreed, that's why I said to "some extent.” It has to be some a factor in assessing success, but talent should weigh more. Take for instance Joseph Addai. Obviously he is a very talented RB, but I'm not sure he is/was more talented than some of the other backs in that class (for example D'Angelo Williams, Reggie Bush or Laurence Maroney), its debateable of course, but landing in Indy after James was let go will likely make him the most successful RB in that class for a number of years.

Or another example would be Matt Leinart. The talent at USC and now Arizona probably makes him look like a better QB than he actually is.

Agreed, that's why I said to "some extent.” It has to be some a factor in assessing success, but talent should weigh more. Take for instance Joseph Addai. Obviously he is a very talented RB, but I'm not sure he is/was more talented than some of the other backs in that class (for example D'Angelo Williams, Reggie Bush or Laurence Maroney), its debateable of course, but landing in Indy after James was let go will likely make him the most successful RB in that class for a number of years.

Or another example would be Matt Leinart. The talent at USC and now Arizona probably makes him look like a better QB than he actually is.

yep true that.....

I actually had Bush as my #3 Rb coming out that year (behind Addai and Maroney) didn't like him much going to the next level....Few people thought I was nuts, but Oh well..... I thought I was dead wrong at the end of last year because he started to come on, but after this past year i'm feeling better about ranking him # 3 in that class of the top 4... Of course I had Maroney # 1 so that's not panning out (not yet anyway) but at least Addai is making me look kinda smart :thumbsdown:

I would like to see some people's updated rankings for a dynasty draft (not NFL draft).