Sign in to follow this  
akaoni

McCain's Age

I know that Reagan was elected to his second term at the age of 73. But If McCain is elected President and then reelected, he would be 79 by the time he left office. I'm not saying that McCain's senile, but there are some serious concerns about cognitive problems associated with aging. One need not be diagnosed with alzheimers or dementia to have some cognitive deterioration during the aging process. In fact everyone deteriorates. From about the age of 40 or so there are stastically significant changes in memory, attention, and other cognitive abilities related to the aging process. By the age of 70 most people have experienced some loss of abilities even if it's minor. Any one else have any concerns about this?

For most people, a candidate being old is nowhere close to being significant as a candidate being a woman or being black.

Dunno. I'd think that the more senile and forgettful a president is due to old age, the less damage he can inflict on the country.

I'm voting Ron Paul regardless. ;)

For most people, a candidate being old is nowhere close to being significant as a candidate being a woman or being black.

Do you blame us? ;)

Again, I'm not implying that McCain is senile or demented. There's a condition common in older people known as Mild Cognitive Imparement or MCI. Older adults with MCI can still generally carry on a conversation, carry on activities of daily living, and even drive. While they're still for the most part self sufficient, many tasks which were easier when they were younger become more difficult. Lapses in concentration and attention, difficulty with word-finding, and slight changes in behavior can be some of the first signs of MCI. Still, many seniors with MCI can mask these symptoms.

I doubt that McCain is experiencing this as it would be MCI as campaigning would be extremely difficult and there certianly would be noticable gaffs, but this mild cognitive decline can start any time during the aging process and create numerious problems.

Big issue for me. Injury prone and has lost a step, maybe I'll take a flyer on him in the 12th round or later, but that's about it.

Heh. I've been going down hill since I hit 30, but I blame the kids. :P

I'll probably pay a little more attention to who he picks as his VP than I normally would. We're way overdue for one of these guys to keel over while in office. :music_guitarred:

itll be no issue for me to take him for next years death pool.....

campaining cant be good for the ol ticker...

McCain being a liberal is a bigger problem for me !

This is a really dumb comment.

Heh. I've been going down hill since I hit 30, but I blame the kids. :banana:

I'll probably pay a little more attention to who he picks as his VP than I normally would. We're way overdue for one of these guys to keel over while in office. :dunno:

Right on. A right wing wackjob VP would be a turnoff, but McCain will pick a middle-of-the-road type to maximize his general election chances.

McCain being a liberal is a bigger problem for me !

Same here. It is laughable that people think he is anywhere close to a conservative.

Other than Iraq, I agree with him far more than with I do with anyone else who's left which is the most important thing.

I don't care about his age, his mind is still strong as ever. He should be fine.

If it's Obama that he winds up sitting across from in the upcoming debates, we'll find out just how sharp his mind is. :blink: Obama's no John Kerry, people.

If it's Obama that he winds up sitting across from in the upcoming debates, we'll find out just how sharp his mind is. :wub: Obama's no John Kerry, people.

Obamba, like most candidates, will destroy Juan McCain in a debate.

Obamba, like most candidates, will destroy Juan McCain in a debate.

Obama is not "like most candidates". :(

Obama is not "like most candidates". :(

That is correct. He is probably the worst out of the remaining candidates. Absolute disaster if he is our next POTUS.

That is correct. He is probably the worst out of the remaining candidates. Absolute disaster if he is our next POTUS.

i rarely agree ith Colts fans, but this is so true.

this guy will be the most deadly to taxpayers. i'd take Hilary ten times over this assbag

Well I'm pretty stoked with McCain. I mean his war position sucks but otherwise he's rock solid pretty much in agreement with me on all the major issues (I don't have a position on abortion or immigration, I never really cared). Most notably balanced budget and clean, effective government. I think he'd be a great counterweight to keep the Dems from going overboard and can totally reform the GOP into something respectable.

I'm real close to endorsing him for president at this point. If the election were today, I'd vote for him over both Obama and Hillary.

Really, really happy. :dunno:

Why, because his name sounds funny and he's not white? :music_guitarred:

this guy will be the most deadly to taxpayers.

How so? I see the war hawks, and the woman who mandates everyone to buy health care, to be the worst.

Obama will hurt those who make a shitload of money and the big corporations. Unless that applies to you, no worries. If it does, you're so damn rich it's not going to hurt you to pay a fraction more, so quitcher bitchin.

It's unbelievable how many people just have no idea what these candidates' plans really are.

Why, because his name sounds funny and he's not white? :lol:

Nope. Here are some reasons.

Health care---Socializing our health care is not the answer. When is the last time the government got involved in something and not totally focked it up and made it far worse??? Employers will be required to contribute a percentage of payroll toward the costs of the national plan.

Illegal immigration---He wants to give people who are here illegally a drivers license. This is the biggest issue for me. If he already saying he will give them a drivers license, what else will he give the criminals that sneak into our country???

He has only been elected one time to the Senate and he is ready to be POTUS???

No foreign policy experience.

Never has he run a business or a town or anything.

Expand Hate Crimes Statutes.

End Racial Profiling--- He wants to ban racial profiling by federal law enforcement agencies.

Expand Early Childhood Education--- We spend plenty on education already.

His stance on Global warming.

Support Campaign Finance Reform--- Obama supports public financing of campaigns combined with free television and radio time

Obama would raise the minimum wage.

Obama is willing to meet with the leaders of all nations, no matter what they have done to us or what they say they want to do to us.

He wants to double our foreign aid.

Employment Non-Discrimination---Barack Obama supports the Employment Non-Discrimination Act and believes it should be expanded to include sexual orientation and gender identity.

Barack Obama believes we need to allow gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military.

Barack Obama Wants Your Kindergarteners to Know About Sex.

That is just the tip of the iceberg.

Obama will hurt those who make a shitload of money and the big corporations. Unless that applies to you, no worries. If it does, you're so damn rich it's not going to hurt you to pay a fraction more, so quitcher bitchin.

Since when is it the job of the President to "hurt those" who are successful in this country? Since when is it the job of the President to "hurt" big corporations?

You whiny liberal asshat with your class warfare BS is laughable.

I didn't think McCain's age would be a huge factor but as time goes on, I think it is. McCain IF he wins will be the oldest president we have ever had and it is showing. He continues to make mental mistakes (Sunni shia) over and over. I don't want my president having "Senior Moments".

McCain is old enough that he probably shouldn't be trusted to drive a car, yet alone run a country.

McCain is old enough that he probably should be trusted to drive a car, yet alone run a country.

:huh:

Yeah, at that age naps become more important...maybe he'll institute daylight nap time, shorten the work day and work week. :huh:

Gimme a fricken brake, his age has about as much to do with it as Obama's age has to do with him not being able to lead. Sure, experience has something to do with it...but that doesn't mean a career criminal would be the best police chief. (as I'm sure some of you will focus on that, it's an analogy, just an analogy). Yes experience is important, but more to the point, is it valued experience; meaning, did they do good or bad. Do/did they genuinely own up for their mistakes or only when it is conveniently done because the wind has changed.

Focusing on the mans age, other than known mental issues, is as about as stupid as focusing on someones ability because of their race or sex.

The most important part is that they have the ability to lead the country and help control the whims of the congress. Their plans are what you think is the direction we need to be going; sure you can listen to your union, religious leader, political party, or even parents, but you are ultimately responsible so make sure it is what you know is right.

If McCain's age has you concerned about his mental capabilites explain how concerned you are about this:

Obama can't remember what his pastor of 20 years said.

Hillary thinks she has been under sniper fire while on a trip with Chelsea and Sinbad.

Talk about not being able to remember things..........................

If McCain's age has you concerned about his mental capabilites explain how concerned you are about this:

Hillary thinks she has been under sniper fire while on a trip with Chelsea and Sinbad.

As far as Hillary's sniper comment. Personally, I think she intentionally lied and also happens to be running a very dirty, Republican-type campaign. I don't think she forgot, I just think she is full of sh1t. But tell me what you think about her since you voted for her didn't you?

As far as Obama, remembering what ones pastor said 20 years ago is different from remembering the difference between Sunni & Shia. Obama's ex-reverend is not the one forming his policies for running this country therefore he is irrelevent. When you may be in charge of our nation's foreign Policy you damn well better know the difference between Sunni & Shia. Bush "I thought they were all Muslims" didn't know and look what happened. I don't want McCain invading Iran because he thinks Iran & Al Qaeda are the same when one is Shiite & the other is Sunni.

As far as Obama, remembering what ones pastor said 20 years ago is different from remembering the difference between Sunni & Shia.

Um, your cognitive abilites are on par with that Hussein fella's. The crackpot didn't say them "20 years ago", he has been saying them for the last 20 years. Kinda hard to blame the U.S. for 9/11 20 years ago, Sparky.

This is actually a good point.