Sign in to follow this  
donhaas

Let's talk Packers

The Bears will continue to b!tchslap the pack in '08

b!tchslap = win 2 fluke games and get crushed 27-7.

It's sad that the only goal for the shiat Bears is beating the Packers, while most other teams are competing for the Superbowl.

By the way, what crap QB are you going to trot out there this year?

It's sad that the only goal for the shiat Bears is beating the Packers, while most other teams are competing for the Superbowl.

By the way, what crap QB are you going to trot out there this year?

Who said its the only goal?

Also, the Bears have a better claim on competing for the SB than most teams having actually been there just 13 months ago. The Pack need to go back a dozen years ... :sleep:

Also, the Bears have a better claim on competing for the SB than most teams having actually been there just 13 months ago. The Pack need to go back a dozen years ... :sleep:

The Bears got completely crushed by the super bowl champs.... the packers lost by 3 in overtime to the current super bowl champs.

The Bears proved their season was a fluke by following it up with a terrible 7-9 season.

HTH!! :sleep:

Also, the Bears have a better claim on competing for the SB than most teams having actually been there just 13 months ago. The Pack need to go back a dozen years ... :music_guitarred:

And how many years will it be before the Bears can even compete for the division? No QB, no running game, and one WR who'd be a #2 at best on most teams? Oh, and the defence sucks. At least they excel at special teams. 1 out of 3 ain't bad. No wait, actually it is.

Packers were lucky not to suffer any really impact ful injury for any length of time - chances of that happening are zero to nil

Will Favre play the same way he played the past year? I doubt that too. He will most likely return to throwing more picks like he did in the playoffs, 2nd Bears game etc

Schedule will be tougher (get 1st place schedule so it means Seattle and Dallas)

Will they get all the breaks they got this past year? (Denver game at the end; Eagles games where the Eagles gave the game away by muffing punts etc)

The division will be tougher next year because the Bears will not be as injured (highly doubt that 2 years in a row); not that that matters given the Bears own the fudgies in every game that matters the past 3 years. And the Vikings will be tougher too.

The CBs of the fudgies can be burnt when they play man on man (not to mention all the PIs penalties) - Burress exposed Harris for being the average CB he is.

I am a diehard Packer fan, and i can see why some people will be skeptical next year. You make some interesting points, but they are sort of weak and obvious.

First of all... the Giants are the champs. I was at that game(NFC title) and they won because they were a tougher football team. As a matter of fact, two weeks later the beat the so called "greatest team ever" and I would postulate that they won because they were way tougher. Does that mean NE sucks now? Does Brady stink now that he was exposed by fearsome Giants front? Taking one game and using it as context for an entire season is frigging stupid.

The Packers are going to be good for years to come. I am not saying they are going to dominate and be repeat champs, but it is hard to refute this when you look objectivly. They are stacked with solid talent on all sides of the ball.

The biggest thing is this, I would not say that they have the most talented team in the league, however, I would say that they really do not have any players who stink. You see that is where you get in trouble. Look at the Bears, from a Defense/st standpoint they are the most talented team. Lots of gamebreakers. Unfortunatly for you however, you have tons of players on offense who suck. This kills your team and it will continue to kill it. Ted Thomson has proven that he knows how to build a team, he built the current team in Seattle and now he has built this one. That is quite a track record. He has done it through patience and intelligence. Angelo is obviously great at analyzing Defensive players for some reason, but is terrible at evaluating an offense. There is not one player I would trade on your offense for ours. Not one. What stinks even more for Bears fans is that you will certainly be losing your best player on D (Briggs) and also Berrian, who stinks but is better than anyone else you have. On our team, Berrian would be fighting with Ruvell Martin for PT and any of your qbs would be behind Rodgers.

The Pack are going to be a 9 - 14 win team for the next 3 -5 years. Hopefully they can hit on a free agent or draft pick and a magical run will happen. In any event, we are in way better shape than the Bears who now have to clean house on offense and are going to start losing defensive players because it will not be cost effective to go all out to sign players who can only help them get to 8-8 at best.

Also, the Bears have a better claim on competing for the SB than most teams having actually been there just 13 months ago. The Pack need to go back a dozen years ... :dunno:

Ummm...what the Bears did 13 months ago has little to do with their chances vs. other teams in getting to the Super Bowl...including the Packers.

Right now...the Bears need alot of help and are in far worse shape than the Packers.

Pack fans should be able to discuss such things in a unified friendly manner. Also get you facts straight, I am pretty sure the top underclassmen LBs are staying (ie Laurinitis)

That was one guy out of the few I mentioned...there are some very good LBs in this draft.

And what was not friendly about my post?

And the Packers will continue to go to the playoffs while the Bears are in the basement in the division.

A few years ago I came in last place in Fantasy Football, however two of my four wins came against My friend and his sister. After the season, I claimed I don't care that I came in last because all I wanted to do was beat those two. Everyone laughed, because everyone knew it wasn't true and everyone knew I would've much rather had a good season.

But this is different, I think you Bears fans are completely happy with sucking as long as you beat the Packers. I don't know if that's stupidity, or obsession or what...but I'm going to attribute it to that being the only thing you can hang your hat on at the end of the season. So you're going t ocome in here with that crap just so you have something...anything to say to the Packer fans.

Cause we all know how much you hated Favre and the Packers being successful fot the last 17 years or so...and I think you see maybe this team is getting good enough to do without him for a while. So you've accepted it, and will just settle for a couple wins against the Pack here and there. So really we're all ono the same page.

Why did this become a Pack vs. Bears thread?

It started out decently with some draft talk.

I like the fact that most positions are are not a desperate need. I'd like to see a DE stud at the end of the 1st round personally.....maybe Merling or Campbell. It would be nice to have bookend bad azzes on the DL. I don't see Ted Thompson making a move for a high priced FA DE like Jared Allen.

The reason I don't think OLB is a need but a luxury is the DL. The rotation Green Bay used on the DL kept the guys fresh and kept the opposing OL's busy, freeing up the LB's to make plays. Getting by with Poppinga isn't the end of the world. I wouldn't be pissed if Rivers were to fall in the 1st or if they could get a Wheeler from Georgia Tech, Henderson from Maryland, or maybe Mayo from Tennessee later in the 2nd or 3rd.

CB/S is probably as close to a need as possible. I see a lot of people picking Cason to go to the Pack at the end of the 1st b/c is a relatively safe pick for a solid cover corner in the NFL. That's not a bad pick but what about a more versatile pick in Reggie Smith from Oklahoma? The guy's had experience at CB, SS, and he's also a pretty solid kick returner. Or, if you want a similar, later pick, how about Thomas Decoud from Cal? He's a big, hard hitting safety who also played CB, and is known for his special teams play.

They could also use another tackle/guard tweener for depth on that offensive line.

Any draft geeks out there know what they should do and when they should do it? What about FA talk? Are the Pack interested in any of the stud free agents like Faneca?

Any draft geeks out there know what they should do and when they should do it? What about FA talk? Are the Pack interested in any of the stud free agents like Faneca?

Latest rumor I heard was that they are trying to re-structure KGB and keep Corey Williams. Might be a tough sell to KGB when you're already $25M under the cap but I really think he'd like to finish his career in GB. Pretty difficult to sign Williams without saving $ somewhere else on the D line I suppose. I think KGB is making $6+ million as a 3rd down DE. Too much, but other than Kampman, he's all we've got as a pash rushing DE.

Also heard that Mike Wahle wanted to come back to Green Bay. Not perfect for the zone blocking scheme, but I'm definately in favor of bringing him back to solidify the O line - probably at a discount.

Latest rumor I heard was that they are trying to re-structure KGB and keep Corey Williams. Might be a tough sell to KGB when you're already $25M under the cap but I really think he'd like to finish his career in GB. Pretty difficult to sign Williams without saving $ somewhere else on the D line I suppose. I think KGB is making $6+ million as a 3rd down DE. Too much, but other than Kampman, he's all we've got as a pash rushing DE.

Also heard that Mike Wahle wanted to come back to Green Bay. Not perfect for the zone blocking scheme, but I'm definately in favor of bringing him back to solidify the O line - probably at a discount.

Bears Still Suck!

Exactly why a stud DE would be a worthy 1st pick in the draft. Kampman is awesome but KGB is expendable.

Mike Wahle already signed with Seattle. He's gone.

Wouldn't be surprised to see this order with their top 3 picks: DE, OG (may have played T in college), CB.

I would really like to see the Packers get a special corner in the draft, but as most of us know, Thompson isn't going to reach for a player because of his name, what school he played for, or his high athletic ability/without football ability.

As long as Thompson is around the Packers should be solid for years. I believe he is the most important piece of their organization.

Wouldn't be surprised to see this order with their top 3 picks: DE, OG (may have played T in college), CB.

I would really like to see the Packers get a special corner in the draft, but as most of us know, Thompson isn't going to reach for a player because of his name, what school he played for, or his high athletic ability/without football ability.

As long as Thompson is around the Packers should be solid for years. I believe he is the most important piece of their organization.

From what he's done in recent drafts, OL and DL is his style and I now see the light. Platooning the DT's had a lot to do with the defenses success imo. Kept them fresh so they were more effective. TT knows that if the front 4 can wreak havoc on their own, it frees up the LB's and makes everyone's job in the secondary easier. And the OL depth can cover up a lot of potential problems if injuries mount up. It completely makes sense. The games are won and lost in the trenches as witnessed in this year's playoffs and superbowl.

Anyone have thoughts on this?.....

Bungals letting Justin Smith walk.

Wonder what he'd cost? Definitely less than Jared Allen. The guy was the 4th overall pick in 2001 and has a ton of talent, which has been squandered by Cincy along with all the other talent there. This would be a nice FA signing. :doublethumbsup:

Poor Brett. Odds of him ever going back to an NFC title game.... million to one.

Ummm...not really.

Packers have franchised Williams and released Bubba Franks. I would have liked to see something a little more long term for Williams but I'm happy with both moves. Bubba is the oldest 30 year old I've ever seen - it was time to cut ties.

Packers have franchised Williams and released Bubba Franks. I would have liked to see something a little more long term for Williams but I'm happy with both moves. Bubba is the oldest 30 year old I've ever seen - it was time to cut ties.

The tag doesn't hurt the chances for a long term contract, it helps them. It gives the team more time to sign the player. It just happened in Indy yesterday with Dallas Clark.

I don't see Williams playing this year for that price.

IMO, he was franchised to buy them time for one of two things....

1. Sign him long term.

2. Trade him and get something of value rather than letting him go for nothing. With the depth at the position, this could very well be the play here.

I don't see Williams playing this year for that price.

IMO, he was franchised to buy them time for one of two things....

1. Sign him long term.

2. Trade him and get something of value rather than letting him go for nothing. With the depth at the position, this could very well be the play here.

I think TT intends to actually keep him. Depth yes, but the defense they run needs a good rotation of players since the line has to clear out everyone to free the LB's for tackles. Miami and Dallas have used this scheme and it worked best during the early 90's with the Cowboys cause they had a ton of depth at d'line as substituted nearly every play. If you look at the numbers for the Dolphins over the past 4..5 years, they defense starts out well and wears out, not enough quality D'linemen.

Happened last year in GB---Jolly and Cole went down and the production all along the D'line went with it as they didn't have enough depth to substitute anymore. My only beef about franchising him, they could of signed him halfway through last season and probably saved 1 to 1.5 against the cap yearly for the life of the contract. It's going to cost them more now.

Yeah, I like both moves. I think I read that Bubba Franks had base salary of 3 million plus a 500K roster bonus. WAY too much for a backup TE.

Can't have too many good players on the defensive line, and we have the money.

From what I understand, they kept Williams around as it sounds like Jolly might not be ready for the start of training camp due to having surgery on one of his shoulders.

Whoa.... this thread somehow slipped to page 2. :rolleyes:

Faneca in Green and Gold? Discuss.

No way. TT won't overspend for what a 31 year old guard has done in the past. I don't even know if Faneca is a good fit for the zone blocking scheme. Last I heard the Jets were going to back a brinks truck up to Faneca's house. TT won't go after this guy.

Poor Brett. Odds of him ever going back to an NFC title game.... million to one.

because the Packers are so old and because they are only going to get worse as they age???

Oh, wait. :banana:

They're the youngest team in the league and only going to got better..... :music_guitarred:

because the Packers are so old and because they are only going to get worse as they age???

Oh, wait. :lol:

They're the youngest team in the league and only going to got better..... :(

and they have the old men Favre and long snapper Davis figured into that.

Alright then thoughts about Brandon Chillar beating out Poppinga for the start and how the signing affects the draft......

I think Chillar beats out Brady for the top spot. He is better against the pass, whereas Poppinga struggled heavily there all season. Poppinga is strong against the run though, so I'd imagine we might see alot of both of these guys this year. Chillar the starter, with Poppinga coming in on run downs maybe...

And as far as the draft....TT usually goes BPA however I'm really hoping with this addition he goes for a CB or OLineman.

I think Chillar beats out Brady for the top spot. He is better against the pass, whereas Poppinga struggled heavily there all season. Poppinga is strong against the run though, so I'd imagine we might see alot of both of these guys this year. Chillar the starter, with Poppinga coming in on run downs maybe...

And as far as the draft....TT usually goes BPA however I'm really hoping with this addition he goes for a CB or OLineman.

Not so sure about this. Chillar is known for being a very good tackler, but not that strong in pass coverage. And I've heard rumblings that the Packers could move Poppinga to DE in the future because he's a very good pass rusher.

Not so sure about this. Chillar is known for being a very good tackler, but not that strong in pass coverage. And I've heard rumblings that the Packers could move Poppinga to DE in the future because he's a very good pass rusher.

Heard the same about Pop moving to DE on passing downs too. While Chillar might not be strong in pass coverage, Poppinga has been absolutely brutal, the only thing he seemed to do was hope the TE would drop a pass.

Rotoworld reporting that TT has won NFL executive of the year. :dunno:

ANy news on Justin Harrell? Will he be anything? I was down on the pick when it was made, up on the pick after talking about it for a while, and way down again after nothing he did last year (was able to do).

You would have to think DL isn't a major need at least not for a 1st or 2nd round pick. The rotation of Kampman KGB/Jenkins is very good. The rotation of Pickett Jolly/Harrell should be fine. This shouldn't be a real need for this year, I know KGB should be gone next year or so.

I'm hoping for Kenny Phillips to drop and getting him in there to replace Nick Collins.

I'm hoping for Kenny Phillips to drop and getting him in there to replace Nick Collins.

I think GB would be better off playing with 10 guys on the field than letting Collins out there.

;)

Really?

I've heard the exact opposite.

So I got my Sporting News in the mail and on page 3 it says there's a rumor that the Packers might be coveting Pacman Jones. Umm.... :thumbsup: