Sign in to follow this  
NorthernVike

I'll go on record with my sleeper pick for 2008

Am I saying he will be top five? NO

But he will be a viable starter in a 12 Team league.

Why? Best running back combo in the league, great O-line and a vastly improving Defense.

With the addition of Berrian I believe the Vikings will not abandon the pass as they did last year. When no one could catch even a cold at the beginning of the season they simply gave up on it. They have the best receiving corps they have had since the days of Moss. I know that is not saying too much but it is better.

Warner, Kitna and Cutler were on the bubble last year as the 10th, 11th and 12th best FF QBs. I believe Minnesota has a better team than all three of theirs.

On to Tavaris. Believe it or not he went 8-4 as a starter last year. He got his legs under him and started running better at the end of the season. His arm is suspect with the ints but it was his first year as the full time starter, he can and I believe will improve on that. He has the arm strength to throw the deep ball on target as we all have seen when Williamson would let it hit him in the face mask and drop it. If Berrian can catch half of those you increase Jacksons TDs by 4 alone.

Prediction:

3,400 yards

20 TD

10 int

350 yards rushing

5 Rush TD

Feel free to blast away, but don't be chicken shat and not post your sleeper. HTH

I disagree across the board.If Tavaris is sooo good,why are they going after Sage Rosenfelds? Heres a prediction for that situation...Vikes grab Henne or Colt Brennan in the draft.

As for my sleeper for 2008? I will have to go with Alex Smith. If the reasons behind his performance last year was due to injury as well as lack of offensive weapons.I see the former #1 overall pick finally earn his paycheck with Issac and Foster added.

Lets not forget the addition of Martz either.

HOMER :headbanger:

hope you're right as he is my backup to Palmer after I deal D.A this off-season (dynasty)

I disagree across the board.If Tavaris is sooo good,why are they going after Sage Rosenfelds? Heres a prediction for that situation...Vikes grab Henne or Colt Brennan in the draft.

He didn't say Tarvaris would be "sooo good." As far as getting a quality QB to back him up, whats wrong with that? Tarvaris missed 4 full games last year due to injury, and was knocked out of a couple more. So if anything, the Vikings do need a QB simply for health reasons alone.

I'd easily draft Tarvaris before Alex Smith in any league. Which QB has the most questions? Well, Tarvaris is the clear cut starter. He has the league's best rushing attack in AD and Chester. Smith? Well, he may not even be the STARTER next year as he'll have to battle with Shaun Hill. Yes, I know, it's Shaun Hill...but who put up better numbers last year between Smith and Hill?

Both of these guys are clearly back up material though until they finally produce.

As for my sleeper for 2008? I will have to go with Alex Smith. If the reasons behind his performance last year was due to injury as well as lack of offensive weapons.I see the former #1 overall pick finally earn his paycheck with Issac and Foster added.

Lets not forget the addition of Martz either.

Provided Smith does win the job, it'll take time to pick up Martz's offense as I see him struggling in the 1st part of the season but getting better as it goes along. This is Smith's 4th offensive coordinator he has had in SF so it would be nice to have some continuity on offense for once.

I like Tavaris Jackson as a sleeper myself next year. It is going to come down to whether he takes that step forward or not. He has a great o-line, a great running game, and with berian, and if sidney can stay healthy, he has 2 guys that can catch the ball as well. I dont think this is as far fetched as some of the replies are going to make it seem.

Tavaris Jackson is a terrible qb and if the vikes were smart they would end up taking a qb in the draft. Someone mentioned henne. If they get Sage Rosenfelds it would not suprise me to see him win the job outright.

I don't think that's true at all.

If you know anything about Childress....it is true. Tavaris is Childress's, um er...boy :overhead:

I don't think that's true at all.

And if it is the vikes are in for another bad year with or without AD.

I always draft a Q.B. that plays in a dome just 4 when weather is a consideration late in the year. He could be a #2 on a team but more like a #3/spot play.

Top 12 QB seems too big an upgrade based on his lack of starts/experience.

His running ability gives him upside and top 20 is within reach.

T jackson

2008 stats

week one - 120yds passing 3 INTS.

week two - Benched in favor of a ham sandwich.

week three on - AD will play both positions.

Jackson is that bad. Minn made a horrible blunder drafting this guy. The entire scouting department should hang thier head in shame.

According to FFtoday's stats and scoring Jackson was the 20th best FF QB in 2007 with 175.6 ff points

20. Tarvaris Jackson MIN 12 12 171 294 1,911 9 12 54 260 3 175.6 14.6

edit: With only 12 starts.

NorthernVike = cmh

Take that back Biotch. Or I'll come over to your house and "punch you in the face in front of your wife and kids" :doublethumbsup:

If you are so smart, who is your sleeper for 2008

I agree Jackson could be decent this year, but only because he's progressed as a QB, and he has a great line and a great running game. It will have nothing to do with Berrian, a mediocre receiver who is only a slight upgrade over Williamson.

week two - Benched in favor of a ham sandwich.

And the ham sandwich does a better job. It at least does not throw as many INT's.

I doubt he's even worth holding onto as a QB2 this year. He'll probably get replaced at some point during the year. I saw nothing in 2007 to make me think he can be a starter in the NFL.

Hard to say, I haven't seen him play, but his stats aren't all that darn bad. A great RB can do a lot for a QB. Yeah, if he were around late enough in the draft, I could see taking him as a flyer. :thumbsdown:

According to FFtoday's stats and scoring Jackson was the 20th best FF QB in 2007 with 175.6 ff points

20. Tarvaris Jackson MIN 12 12 171 294 1,911 9 12 54 260 3 175.6 14.6

edit: With only 12 starts.

True.

Based on fantasy points per game he falls out of the top 20 if you count Delhomme and others who were injured or where there was a split. With a year he should improve but I dont see a big jump

into the top 12 based on several factors that have already been mentioned.

Brady

Manning

Manning

Rivers

Favre

Roth

Palmer

Bulger

Hasselbeck

Romo

Kitna

Brees

McNabb

There's 13 I'd rather have right now in no particular order. Jackson is no more than a backup with potential at this point in a 12 team league.

If you know anything about Childress....it is true. Tavaris is Childress's, um er...boy :thumbsup:

Exactly. Every fan here in Minnesota KNOWS how much Childress loves Jackson. He's stated numerous times that Jackson is his QB. Even the his teammates at the end of the year were saying they feel Jackson earned the right to be the QB in 2008.

Jackson is no more than a backup with potential at this point in a 12 team league.

That's a good perspective to have on him. I think it'd be smart to take a flyer on him in the last round or two of a draft. If he develops then you look brilliant. If he flops, no harm done as he was drafted at his correct value. As a Vikings fan in Minnesota I'd consider him at the end simply cause its fun to be a homer and have your players on your team at the beginning of the year when you're all excited for the up and coming year. Of course, I also have Romo as my keeper in my league :thumbsup:

Brady

Manning

Manning

Rivers

Favre

Roth

Palmer

Bulger

Hasselbeck

Romo

Kitna

Brees

McNabb

There's 13 I'd rather have right now in no particular order. Jackson is no more than a backup with potential at this point in a 12 team league.

ummmm.....thats why he is considered a sleeper :shocking:

ummmm.....thats why he is considered a sleeper :music_guitarred:

In that case every QB in the league is a sleeper. JP Losman is a sleeper for this year too. Are you targetting him?

In that case every QB in the league is a sleeper. JP Losman is a sleeper for this year too. Are you targetting him?

Why no, I'm not. But then again I did not call him out as MY sleeper pick for 2008.

BTW, if you are so smart, please let us in on who you think would make a good sleeper pick in '08

The only way Jackson has 10 or less INTs is if he gets benched Week 5. He sucks.

And I'm a homer.

Jackson has a good arm and good mobility, but his decision making is horrendous. I'd be with you NV if I saw a steady progression from start to end of season. But that didn't happen. He was sickening vs. WAS. Remember a couple of those throws? Going backwards with a defender draped all over you? Result: int. NFL quarterbacks don't make those throws.

There's a reason they're trying to get Roesenfels for a 3rd rounder. They need a solid backup in case TJ doesn't perform. They cannot wait for him to progress for another year. Either he shows early on that he's ready to take his game to the next level, or he's benched.

And I don't have a 'sleeper' quite yet as there isn't an NFL roster that's set by March 4th. Right now though, I'm targeting Shaub @ QB and keeping an eye on Kenny Irons during the preseason.

Why no, I'm not. But then again I did not call him out as MY sleeper pick for 2008.

BTW, if you are so smart, please let us in on who you think would make a good sleeper pick in '08

Aaron Rodgers.

Either he shows early on that he's ready to take his game to the next level, or he's benched.

The only way he is benched is if Childress gets canned in the middle of the season and that is not the way Wilf does business.

Take it to teh bank people T-Jax top 12 FF points for QB 2008 :rolleyes:

Am I saying he will be top five? NO

But he will be a viable starter in a 12 Team league.

Why? Best running back combo in the league, great O-line and a vastly improving Defense.

With the addition of Berrian I believe the Vikings will not abandon the pass as they did last year. When no one could catch even a cold at the beginning of the season they simply gave up on it. They have the best receiving corps they have had since the days of Moss. I know that is not saying too much but it is better.

Warner, Kitna and Cutler were on the bubble last year as the 10th, 11th and 12th best FF QBs. I believe Minnesota has a better team than all three of theirs.

On to Tavaris. Believe it or not he went 8-4 as a starter last year. He got his legs under him and started running better at the end of the season. His arm is suspect with the ints but it was his first year as the full time starter, he can and I believe will improve on that. He has the arm strength to throw the deep ball on target as we all have seen when Williamson would let it hit him in the face mask and drop it. If Berrian can catch half of those you increase Jacksons TDs by 4 alone.

Prediction:

3,400 yards

20 TD

10 int

350 yards rushing

5 Rush TD

Feel free to blast away, but don't be chicken shat and not post your sleeper. HTH

Good luck with that!

Good luck with that!

I see you read the last sentence in my post <_<

I see you read the last sentence in my post <_<

You are a true homer who doesnt understand reality. Jackson sucks. 10 INTs is so unrealistic. People don't need to post a sleeper to tell you that you are wrong in thinking that Jackson will be top 12. There is just no way. I understand that you want the Vikings to succeed, all Minnesota fans do. The fact is until Jackson and Chilly are gone its not going to happen. HTH.

You're overrating Berrian. He's going to drive you crazy. Totally inconsistent player, both in terms of effort and performance. I don't know how many passes he's dropped the last 2 years.......and he drops balls at such crucial times.

You're overrating Berrian. He's going to drive you crazy. Totally inconsistent player, both in terms of effort and performance. I don't know how many passes he's dropped the last 2 years.......and he drops balls at such crucial times.

No mater how many balls he dropped it has to be at least half as many as Williamson. Plus if catches any of them we will not abandon the pass like we did last year. Buy now while his value is low :music_guitarred:

Berian was brought in to be the #2 to developing sidney rice is what the situation looks like to me. You are right he isnt a top flight WR. He is probably the 5th-10th best #2 reciever in the league.

Also both TJ and Rice showed flashes last year when both healthy, which actually was alot fewer games than people realize. TJ was hurt early, rice was hurt late.

Williamson truly did suck last year. you think berian cant catch, his hands are like glue compared to williamson's.

The numbers that northernvike threw out are kind of ridiculous though.

But i think he has a better chace of not sucking than what you guys give him, just because of the line, running game, and now weapons.