Sign in to follow this  
DanXIII

Straight-talking maverick John McCain talks straight, is maverick

Everyone knows how John McCain was a critic of the Bush/Cheney strategy in Iraq. He's a maverick. We know it because the media always reminds us about it as does McCain himself. Why just yesterday the straight-talking maverick said this...

I’m offering them the record of having objected strenuously to a failed strategy for nearly four years. That I argued against and fought against and said that the secretary of defense of my own party, and my own president, I had no confidence in. That’s how far I went in advocating the new strategy that is succeeding.

And we all know that's true. He was a VERY VOCAL CRITIC. Here are some examples...

Q: Do you, do you have confidence in the president and his national security team to lead the war at this stage?

McCAIN: I do. I do. I have confidence in the President and I believe that he is well aware of the severity of the situation. [Meet The Press, 8/20/06]

– “I was heartened to hear the President say that we cannot cut and run in Iraq.” [Press Release, 11/5/03]

– “I’m confident we’re on the right course.” [ABC News, 3/7/04]

– “And what the president did tonight is the most important thing. He laid out an articulate vision for victory in Iraq and why we need to stay the course.” [Fox, 6/28/05]

Also, Al-Qaeda is being supported by Iran.

Now, back to the much more important topics of sex scandals from 35 years ago and whether or not Hillary knows why her parents named her Hillary.

Liberal, terrorist loving, American hating, abortion performing, latte drinking source.

My puzzay hurts :dunno: :dunno:

:dunno:

:dunno:

What's the matter RINO boy? Truth sting?

These one line remarks don't tell us a whole lot really, especially not knowing what question was asked or what statements surrounded each remark.

As far as his statements on Al Qaeda...you guys are really stretching here.

McCain has preached staying in Iraq the whole time, and he was a huge supporter of the surge that has worked despite the recent clashes in Basra.

Hell, Obama has been pretty much running soley based on the fact he was against the war (and hope and change). Granted he wasn't a senator at the time, since his vast 3 yrs of experience in the US senate hadn't begun yet ... so he couldn't actually vote on the issue.

What's the matter RINO boy? Truth sting?

McCain is the RINO. And that is something I've always said. I just hate how liberally biased this board has become. Every day there is another partisan thread bashing McCain. Where's the criticism of Barrack Hussein or Hitlery? Not a peep.

McCain is the RINO. And that is something I've always said. I just hate how liberally biased this board has become. Every day there is another partisan thread bashing McCain. Where's the criticism of Barrack Hussein or Hitlery? Not a peep.

You are either completely blind or a liar. Or an idiot. Maybe all three. This board is filled with :P about either Hilldog or Obama almost daily.

Maybe you just can't read. /shrug

These one line remarks don't tell us a whole lot really, especially not knowing what question was asked or what statements surrounded each remark.

It really isn't very complicated.

One of McCain's platforms is how critical he has been of the administration it its handling of the war. His voting record and prior statements paint a different picture than the one he's trying to sell to American voters now that the war is no longer popular.

I'm not sure what more you want to hear other than the man's own words.

As far as his statements on Al Qaeda...you guys are really stretching here.

Fascinating that you think so. Care to apologize for him some more...er...elaborate?

He then repeated the lie again the day after the previously-posted statements were made.

His national security adviser even came out and actually defended the idea that Iran was funding Al-Qaeda.

"There is ample documentation that Iran has provided many different forms of support to Sunni extremists, including Al Qaeda as well as Shi'ia extremists in Iraq. It would require a willing suspension of disbelief to deny Iran supports Al Qaeda in Iraq."

http://www.nysun.com/article/73277

McCain has preached staying in Iraq the whole time, and he was a huge supporter of the surge that has worked despite the recent clashes in Basra.

Well, duh. I never said McCain was an advocate of pulling out. I said he hasn't been the critic of this Administration the way he says he has.

Hell, Obama has been pretty much running soley based on the fact he was against the war (and hope and change). Granted he wasn't a senator at the time, since his vast 3 yrs of experience in the US senate hadn't begun yet ... so he couldn't actually vote on the issue.
Well, thank heavens you view the comments of Obama and Hillary with the same critical light you do McCain's. :P

The media have been telling us that McCain is a straight-talking maverick for years. That's their narrative and they can't really change it now just because they have a crippling liberal bias.

I mean, Barack Obama still has to denounce Malcolm X and the movie Blacula before the media can move on to something else anyway.

How about I put up a webcam and get naked and you can watch me get naked and look at my butth0le?

You are either completely blind or a liar. Or an idiot. Maybe all three. This board is filled with :P about either Hilldog or Obama almost daily.

Maybe you just can't read. /shrug

I think some of you (well...you and rp) have math issues...you think a few scattered threads are "filling" or "flooding" the board,

And poisting one idiotic thread...like this one..because someone else posted an idiotic thread is no real excuse

I think some of you (well...you and rp) have math issues...you think a few scattered threads are "filling" or "flooding" the board,

And poisting one idiotic thread...like this one..because someone else posted an idiotic thread is no real excuse

And Slo Nuff comes to the defense of the bored lefties.................and has to whine about me in the process even though to that point I had not even posted in this thread.

I really get your panties in a twist, don't I. :rolleyes:

And Slo Nuff comes to the defense of the bored lefties.................and has to whine about me in the process even though to that point I had not even posted in this thread.

I really get your panties in a twist, don't I. :rolleyes:

I come to the defense of who? Where do I defend Dan?

Whine about you? No...Im mocking you and your foolish claim about flash flooding the board. Just as I mocked Dan about others supposedly flooding the board with anti lefty crap.

It really isn't very complicated.

One of McCain's platforms is how critical he has been of the administration it its handling of the war. His voting record and prior statements paint a different picture than the one he's trying to sell to American voters now that the war is no longer popular.

I don't know man..here is Link from 2003 where McCain is already calling for increased troop numbers, and urging Bush not to let the elections influence his decisions. So he seems to have been saying we need a surge, for about 5 years now. Again, that's what I meant where if you take little quotes from a speech or interview, it can come across as deceiving. I'd have to see all of the dialogue before writing him off.

I'm not sure what more you want to hear other than the man's own words.

Fascinating that you think so. Care to apologize for him some more...er...elaborate?

He then repeated the lie again the day after the previously-posted statements were made.

His national security adviser even came out and actually defended the idea that Iran was funding Al-Qaeda.

"There is ample documentation that Iran has provided many different forms of support to Sunni extremists, including Al Qaeda as well as Shi'ia extremists in Iraq. It would require a willing suspension of disbelief to deny Iran supports Al Qaeda in Iraq."

http://www.nysun.com/article/73277

I took it as he misspoke, it is a well known fact Iran is training extremists to fight in Iraq. So it comes down to ...does McCain understand the difference between Sunni's and Shiites? I would have to say yes he does, and that he just misspoke. At least that's what I would hope that's the case for a presidential candidate.

I would like to add, however your own link does in fact add some credence to what McCain said, so maybe he didn't misspeak, I dont know:

The Sun, in a series of dispatches from northern Iraq and Baghdad, detailed claims that Iran has supported Al Qaeda in Iraq. One such dispatch, published on April 25, 2007, quoted the director of the security ministry for the Sulaimaniyah province, Sarkawt Hassan Jalal, as saying Iran had harbored the leadership of a group calling itself Al Qaeda in Kurdistan in five towns on the Iraqi border. A subsequent story, based on an interview with a Kurdish prisoner who went by the name Osman the Small, said Iran's revolutionary guard and domestic intelligence service had issued the Kurdish jihadist group political refugee cards, identifications that made it possible for them to cross back and forth into Iraq from Iran.

Senior military officials from Multinational Forces in Iraq have said on the record that Iran provides support for Sunni terror outfits in Iraq, but they have not identified them as Al Qaeda in Iraq. A former commander of a group that has at times aligned with Al Qaeda in Iraq, the Islamic Army of Iraq, Abu Azzam al Tamimi, told Al Arabiya television on January 18, 2008, that Iran "interferes in every aspect in Iraq." When asked whom Iran supports, Mr. al Tamimi said, "Everybody — it works with the government, with the opponents of the government, with the opponents of the government's opponents, with Al-Qaeda, with the enemies of Al-Qaeda, with the militias, with the enemies of the militias ... Iran spreads its investments everywhere – with the Shiites, the Sunnis, and the Kurds," according to a translation by the Middle East Media Research Institute.

The Sun also reported in July that a senior leadership or management council for Al Qaeda meets regularly in eastern Iran, according to the classified portion of the latest national intelligence estimate on Al Qaeda. An intelligence briefer to the press for that estimate at the time claimed to have no recollection of the section, but the Sun maintains that it is there. Following the defeat of Al Qaeda in Afghanistan in 2001, many senior Al Qaeda leaders, such as Saif al Adel and Saad bin Laden, fled to Iran, while others, such as Osama bin Laden and Ayman al Zawahiri, are believed to have fled to the border tribal provinces in Pakistan

Well, duh. I never said McCain was an advocate of pulling out. I said he hasn't been the critic of this Administration the way he says he has.

Again, refer to the article above. He seems critical there.

Well, thank heavens you view the comments of Obama and Hillary with the same critical light you do McCain's. :rolleyes:

The media have been telling us that McCain is a straight-talking maverick for years. That's their narrative and they can't really change it now just because they have a crippling liberal bias.

I mean, Barack Obama still has to denounce Malcolm X and the movie Blacula before the media can move on to something else anyway.

Not sure what you're getting at here, but I will say every time Obama reflects on his stance on the war, it more re-affirms to me how new he is to the Senate than it does his Iraq stance. I think a candidate should spend a little while in the Senate before running for President, especially when half of his Senate experience has been spent campaigning. Especially when he says he won't run for President in 2008 because he is a big fan of "knowing what you're doing"...in his year in the Senate before he started campaigning did he just magically "get it" all of a sudden and know what he's doing?

Not sure what you're getting at here, but I will say every time Obama reflects on his stance on the war, it more re-affirms to me how new he is to the Senate than it does his Iraq stance. I think a candidate should spend a little while in the Senate before running for President, especially when half of his Senate experience has been spent campaigning. Especially when he says he won't run for President in 2008 because he is a big fan of "knowing what you're doing"...in his year in the Senate before he started campaigning did he just magically "get it" all of a sudden and know what he's doing?

:headbanger: :first:

:headbanger: Keep the hypocrisy coming, it is defiantly your strong suit.

:lol: Keep the hypocrisy coming, it is defiantly your strong suit.

Though...you keep making that accusation...and you are still unable to post one hypocritical thing I have posted.

Nice try.

Though...you keep making that accusation...and you are still unable to post one hypocritical thing I have posted.

Nice try.

There is no need to link that. It has been well documented the last couple of days. Anybody who read your posts realizes this. Like when you claimed that me and others have to jump into threads RP started to defend him. Then you do the exact same thing in threads started by liberals. Never did it occur to you that people with the same ideology might actually agree on certain issues. How is that so hard to understand, that conservative might agree with other conservatives???

There is no need to link that. It has been well documented the last couple of days. Anybody who read your posts realizes this. Like when you claimed that me and others have to jump into threads RP started to defend him. Then you do the exact same thing in threads started by liberals. Never did it occur to you that people with the same ideology might actually agree on certain issues. How is that so hard to understand, that conservative might agree with other conservatives???

What has been very documented as that none of you have posted one single instance of me being hypocritical.

You and others do jump into RP threads to defend him. It happens over and over. There is a reason why several people have noted that (some who are not just far left posters).

What thread started by a liberal do I defend that liberal? In this thread here I don't defend the liberal (actually the opposite if you would learn to read).

It is one thing to agree on an issue...its another to continue to defend the poster simply because he is conservative (because his posting of "issues" is laughable...even to most true conservatives).

... and he was a huge supporter of the surge that has worked despite the recent clashes in Basra.

If by "worked" you mean failed, then I agree completely.

If by "worked" you mean failed, then I agree completely.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

I have trouble voting for any man who wears a pale blue "onesie" on the campaign trail. If you ever see it, it's a bad bad move. Hopefully, some staffer burned it when John was napping.

Sounds like he supported Bush publicy and tried to pressure him privatley somewhat to change course in Iraq strategy - :ninja:

I disagree with McCain on a few things but this is one of his brighter moments. His foreign policy experience dwarfs anyhting Obama or Hillary can state. His economic experience even if he says himself thats not his strong point is still stronger than the other 2 , and his washington know how is light years from Hill or Obama. Only think Obama has going for him is he has nothing really negative about him on his washington record mostly becasue he has no real record. Hillary carries the Clinton name and everyone remembers how fat their wallets were when Billy was in office. Only other thing they have over McCain is intelligence - McCain might beat the focking ###### out of em in courage area he isn't that smart finishing almost last in his class at Naval Academy while Obama / Clinton went to Ivy league schools with with great marks and are much better speakers.

There is something for a person getting shot down in Nam an then having his Daddy bail him out right away and arrange for him to be sent home - an McCain to turn it down to instead be tourtured and be a POW for focking 5 years so he could stay with his men - saying he would only leave when everyone else there left. I might not ike his policies but i won't ever doubt his courage , heart , or love for the country ! I doubt all three with Hillary ! and starting to have my doubts with Obama.

John McCain will be an absolute embarrassment as POTUS. It's unbelievable that, in a country like this, someone like him is even a candidate for President.

John McCain will be an absolute embarrassment as POTUS. It's unbelievable that, in a country like this, someone like him is even a candidate for President.

Care to expand on that?

There is something for a person getting shot down in Nam an then having his Daddy bail him out right away and arrange for him to be sent home - an McCain to turn it down to instead be tourtured and be a POW for focking 5 years so he could stay with his men - saying he would only leave when everyone else there left. I might not ike his policies but i won't ever doubt his courage , heart , or love for the country ! I doubt all three with Hillary ! and starting to have my doubts with Obama.

Well said.

'Course "100 years in Iraq" will spell the end of the American Empire...

War hero

Long time respected Senator

Not known for bowing to special interests

long record of getting things done in Washington

admitted he is a shitty speaker

Hillary :

former first lady

doing virtually nothing in washington other than voting like everyone else

failed healthcare proposal back in 93 - and was shunned and reduced to nothing but a first lady afterwards

maybe the most heartless b!tch in washington ( that's saying something )

became a senator becasue Guiliani dropped out

Obama :

Says he wants change

great speaker

nothing else

:D

With that being said, what does it say about the Democrats. dubya did just about everything he could do to make sure a Democrat would win this next election. But the secret weapon of the GOP is that the Democrats always seem to nominate the worst possible candidate. This year is no exception. John McCain is about the last guy the GOP had running that I wanted to get the nod. I am shocked that the Democrats are even in this position. When the nomination process started, no way in hell did I think I would find myself voting for McCain. Then the Democrats put up the 2 worst possible candidates. Not to mention that the Democrats are disenfranchising Florida and Michigan, the very thing they have cried about since 2000.

War hero

Long time respected Senator

Not known for bowing to special interests

long record of getting things done in Washington

admitted he is a shitty speaker

War Hero - He showed courage. Good quality to have

Not known for bowing to special interests - Thats is bull. He is a hypocrite on that front.

Long time respected Senator - So is Ted Kennedy

long record of getting things done in Washington - What has he done?

admitted he is a shitty speaker - This is a negative

Not known for bowing to special interests - Thats is bull. He is a hypocrite on that front.

Who respects Kennedy, do you? Does anybody outside the idiots in Mass ?

You may not respect the man, but you have to respect the office, his liver.

With that being said, what does it say about the Democrats. dubya did just about everything he could do to make sure a Democrat would win this next election. But the secret weapon of the GOP is that the Democrats always seem to nominate the worst possible candidate. This year is no exception. John McCain is about the last guy the GOP had running that I wanted to get the nod. I am shocked that the Democrats are even in this position. When the nomination process started, no way in hell did I think I would find myself voting for McCain. Then the Democrats put up the 2 worst possible candidates. Not to mention that the Democrats are disenfranchising Florida and Michigan, the very thing they have cried about since 2000.

Big time.

They did not learn the first time W was elected...and pushed through another north east liberal.

If they get Hillary...they will go for another one.

As much as the left likes to complain about W...they don't like to look themselves in the mirror to figure out that they are a huge part of the problem for putting forth some crappy candidates.

No focking way he was serious with that, which makes me question the rest of it. Kennedy has been the butt of jokes for many many years now, because he is a joke and a laughing stock in the political community. And to think Obama is already to the left of Ted Kennedy in just 3 years is freaking unbelievable.

How is the support of one bill equal to him bowing to special interests?

and again...hypocrisy in politics? no...really?

Big time.

They did not learn the first time W was elected...and pushed through another north east liberal.

If they get Hillary...they will go for another one.

As much as the left likes to complain about W...they don't like to look themselves in the mirror to figure out that they are a huge part of the problem for putting forth some crappy candidates.

Lookie there, we can find some common ground. That proves common ground can be found nearly anywhere. My little bored stalker agreed with me and I with him a couple of weeks ago.

Two conservatives agree......... :rolleyes:

You may not respect the man, but you have to respect the office, his liver.

He is a pretty good swimmer from what I understand, just not a very good lifeguard.