Sign in to follow this  
Giants Fan

The ultimate GO BAG! Jeep + cash + camping supplies!

So, I picked up the following (Craigslist) for under $75 total:

Jeep YJ Wrangler "Cooler rack" ... sanded it, painted it, drilled a couple holes in my tailgate, and mounted it to the back of my Jeep.

Cooler, 2 Coleman sleeping bags, 3 man tent.

No kids, no wife, no house, no credit card debt ... fishing pole.

I'm going camping, BIACHEZ!

Camping is a great idea... You should really enjoy the rugged outdoors while you have this opportunity. There is nothing like becoming one with Nature. Hell, if I was you I would give up everything and just live off of the land....

no internet for you means a better geek board experience for us.

Hey GF, Where do you plan on camping/staying at nite? ie. Private campgounds/State Parks/Army Corp. camping areas :huh:

I have a lot of family in California, so I'm just gonna couch surf for the summer, mostly.

Here's a list of places I want to or just WILL visit:

San Diego

Orange County

San Francisco

Aptos (Santa Cruz)

Big Sur

Seattle

And I don't know where I'll end up.

I don't know if you are full of shat or not with this "plan" of yours but on the odd chance that you are actually taking off and camp for the summer I'll be nice and give you some advise.

Look into being a campground host at a National forest campground or Army Corp of engineers campground. You would have to do daily chores, clean bathrooms, campsites, check pay slips etc. Take you about two hours a day. This will give you free camping plus most give you a daily allowance or monthly pay. Around $20-$30 a day, enough to buy food and beer with :thumbsup:

Check out this site for info

Did I mention ... THE CASH! Got about $4k saved up.

Thanks for the idea ... but I'll just pay instead. My uncle is gonna ride with me a lot of the way and split the gas costs ... that's been my main concern ... that and fitting everything in my Jeep Wrangler. He knows the coast though ... he's gonna be a big help ... he lived in California most of his life.

Thanks for the idea ... but I'll just pay instead. My uncle is gonna ride with me a lot of the way and split the gas costs ... that's been my main concern ... that and fitting everything in my Jeep Wrangler. He knows the coast though ... he's gonna be a big help ... he lived in California most of his life.

Ohhhh.....THAT Uncle. :thumbsup:

Why did you put "CASH" in all caps and mention $4k like it was this huge amount of money after basically ridding yourself of everything but that POS jeep?

And does anyone actually believe this? This guy will be back posting within a week.

Yeah...why do I have the sneaking suspicion that before long it's going to be your Uncle Sam and my tax dollars riding shotgun on your pathetic, mooching life? :thumbsup:

4K is not that much cash. Even with someone spiting the cost you wont last long on that.

On a side note. Do you have a laptop with wireless access? If so park outside of hotels that have free internet access so you can keep us up to date with your travels. :thumbsup:

4K is not that much cash. Even with someone spiting the cost you wont last long on that.

On a side note. Do you have a laptop with wireless access? If so park outside of hotels that have free internet access so you can keep us up to date with your travels. :thumbsdown:

I loathe you. :thumbsup:

A friend of mine is native (AKA Indian) and he left his job as a financial analyst to be a wilderness guide in the Pacific Northwest. He loves it. He keeps everyone (friends and family) up to date through Travelblog ...BUT ... I wont be on a job or a schedule ... and I will be in some very remote areas ... AND I'm not bringing a laptop, either. By May first, I'll be out of Phoenix ... and it may be a long time before you all see me again.

But I'm gonna come back ... chock full of stories!

Oh yeah, and $4k is not much ... but with no debts, no rent, no nothin' ... $4k will last me all summer, easy.

ETA: Also have ... padded bicycle shorts.

and it may be a long time before you all see me again.

:thumbsdown:

But I'm gonna come back ... chock full of stories!

:thumbsup:

Oh yeah, and $4k is not much ... but with no debts, no rent, no nothin' ... $4k will last me all summer, easy.

Yeah...um...ok.

Current cooler load:

Loaf pan full of spices, curry, Old Bay, garlic salt, etc.

Small pot with cover, knife, fork, spoon, bottle opener, can opener, etc

4 swing cap Grolsch bottles, sealed with: flour, rice, sugar and salt

1 bottle, Frank's Redhot

Blue ice pack

And I have a pickle jar, cleaned, that has all kinds of packs of spices, mustard, Arby's sauce, soy, ketchup, red pepper flakes, tea, etc.

Pretty much covered ... all the same shiat that was in my kitchen ... fits in the cooler.

:thumbsdown:

:thumbsup:

Yeah...um...ok.

After rent and everything, it costs me about $1300, if I was frugal, to live and drive in Phoenix for a month.

Even with gas prices ... I expect my monthly cost of living to go down.

Anyway, I thought that was a pretty good deal. All Coleman stuff.

Cooler, and never used 2 sleeping bags, tent ... $40 total.

And I paid $30 for the rack. That was the real steal. Lil sanding, lil paint ... it's a $100 rack.

After rent and everything, it costs me about $1300, if I was frugal, to live and drive in Phoenix for a month.

Even with gas prices ... I expect my monthly cost of living to go down.

Remember, you wont have a microwave to cook your frozen diners. :thumbsdown:

The rack ... ALSO has 2 jerry can mounts, and a CB antena mount ... I may go ahead and keep a gas can back there. I can prolly pick one up new, at an Army surplus store, and it will pay for itself, filling up in Arizona before I go.

Current cooler load:

1 bottle, Frank's Redhot

Blue ice pack

And I have a pickle jar, cleaned, that has all kinds of packs of spices, mustard, Arby's sauce, soy, ketchup, red pepper flakes, tea, etc.

Pretty much covered ... all the same shiat that was in my kitchen ... fits in the cooler.

I would find it sad if all of the stuff in my kitchen fit into a cooler...and all the stuff I own fit in a Jeep.

But...to each his own.

Remember, you wont have a microwave to cook your frozen diners. :thumbsdown:

I should have mentioned a long time ago ... I never used a microwave for any of those.

I would find it sad if all of the stuff in my kitchen fit into a cooler...and all the stuff I own fit in a Jeep.

But...to each his own.

I'm striving for that, actually.

It's like the line in American Beauty when Kevin Spacey goes to apply for the McJob and the guy says, "Oh, sorry, we don't have any manager positions available."

Spacey: "Actually, I'm looking for as little responsability as possible."

The less I own ... the less I have to worry about. It's very Zen, I know.

Maybe also ... a mid-life crisis.

You got a better idea?

The less I own ... the less I have to worry about. It's very Zen, I know.

In a weird sort of way, you have a point.

Ever hear George Carlins bit on people's "stuff". "Supply lines are getting longer and harder to maintain"

Long story, but a road trip from Albuquerque to Butte ... and I offered to drive my uncle, we got stranded in Texas and had not any one wired us money ... but I made a sandwhich out of a whole package of ham. uncleflipped on me! "You used a whole package of meat on one sandwich?" ... but you know looking back, he I coulda taken him. I remember he said, "I really wanna hurt you right now!" and that really pissed me off ... like saying he thinks he can ...what does he tink he is, a pair of transvestites, by tghe way these buds are pretty stoney so I said something like, " just give me the money, I'll take a train home ... and you are on your own even though it was my jeep." he naturally caved and we started negotiating. We made it all the way to the grand canyon before the jepp stalled on the tracks and ghot hit by a train. i told him "see, what good would the ham be now" and he just looked at me but also ... I woulda kicked his ass ... and he knew it ... . I was a lot faster than him. i'm the fastest guy i know ptoo. ought no, tooo, two ... are.

By May first, I'll be out of Phoenix ... and it may be a long time before you all see me again.

So when do you think you will make your last post before you leave. April 30th?

We should have a going away party for you :thumbsdown:

You need to come up with a post so out of the ballpark that I can use it as a sig line until you come back

You need to come up with a post so out of the ballpark that I can use it as a sig line until you come back

I don't think he can premeditate his commentary. It just flows. Don't try to force it.

I think you should go to Alaska and live off the land. You should use the guy from that movie "into the Wild" as your role model. Hopefully the results will be the same. <_<

I don't think he can premeditate his commentary. It just flows. Don't try to force it.

Who are you? Seriously? ... No wait ....Ricky Williams will be a bust ... no I got it ...Michael Vick will be a bust ... oh wait ... THE GIANTS WILL WIN THE SUPERBOWL! How's that?

No really. I'm not kidding. Giants vs. Patriots ... Giants win.

PICK A QUOTE FOCKTARD .... I was against the war in Iraq before it began too. I marched against it. There was a time .... I was the only person here that hated Bush. THE ONLY ONE! And way back when ... I told everyone here to invest in AAPL ... and i picked Kansas to win the NCAA tourney this year. If there was one quote to sum it all up, don't you think I woulda posted it by now? It's gonna be a sad place without me ... BUT I WILL BE BACK!

I told Tarheel Boy once ... "You can go ahead and post all you want. But 2 things you'll never be are BEFORE ME and AFTER ME. Because someday, you'll be long gone, and I'll still be here."

How's that?

Current cooler load:

1 bottle, Frank's Redhot

Blue ice pack

You forgot:

1 - .357 Revolver

1 - .357 Round w/Hollow Point

1 - 5 gallon bucket to sit on

1 - notepad to write final letter

1 - pencil

Also, remember:

Under the Chin, they'll never see you again;

Through the ear, you may only wreck your gear.

Best wishes!!

<_<

Ok, true parting story ... quote what you want.

I was like 17, at a new years party ... standing there taking to my friends. And I hear one of my friends say, "Yo ... his names Adam ... not Fonzie." of course my friend knows I'm a badass ....BUT ... I have my limits ... I turn around ... and there is this 6 foot 4, 220 pound black guy, staring down on me like I raped his little sister ...

So I went ..."Hi, my names Adam." and stuck my hand out to shake his hand, and he just walked away. so I was all "Whatever."

Couple minutes later this guy comes over and taps on my shoulder ... I turn around, not defensively at all, I got like 4 friends around me, my friends party ... and he whips off his jacket, and says, "Check this out, I got 1 arm!" and sure enough ... his right arm was gone past the elbow. And while I'm trying to go, "Wait ...I didn't know ..." he punches me, solid left right between the eyes and cuts me. I wandered away into the bathroom, and looked in the mirror .... and I was just amazed at the cut, from just 1 punch. Took 15 stitches later.

But I went back out there, and I offered my left hand to shake his hand ... AND TRUER WORDS MAY HAVE NEVER BEEN SAID!

"Hey man ... this is just a party here ... nobody really wants to fight ... ok? Celebrate ... New Years." and he shook my hand ... and THAt'S WHEN I REALIZED HE HAD BRASS KNUCKLES! No wonder I was cut so bad. He started more shiat that night ... he's really lucky I went straight because .... well ... let's just say I knew who he was, and I coulda focked with him years later, considered destroying his car, and I didn't.

Oh yeah .... HE WAS FRIENDS WITH MARIO BATES! .... and that's why I knew that stupid punk ass wasn't gonna be any good as a pro fooyball player. I raced against Michael. He's sick fast. Marion is a good kid too ... but Mario was a little gangbanger fackhead. Knew he'd never fit in.

And ... I CALLED IT .... Bayless is gonna go pro. I think it's a mistake still. Could use a solid year under Lute. But, he's kinda fragile. Can't blame him for getting the money now, either.

Of course you could also say ... a guy with 1 arm ... kicked my ass. It's all in how you word it.

Ok, true parting story ... quote what you want.

I was like 17, at a new years party ... standing there taking to my friends. And I hear one of my friends say, "Yo ... his names Adam ... not Fonzie." of course my friend knows I'm a badass ....BUT ... I have my limits ... I turn around ... and there is this 6 foot 4, 220 pound black guy, staring down on me like I raped his little sister ...

So I went ..."Hi, my names Adam." and stuck my hand out to shake his hand, and he just walked away. so I was all "Whatever."

Couple minutes later this guy comes over and taps on my shoulder ... I turn around, not defensively at all, I got like 4 friends around me, my friends party ... and he whips off his jacket, and says, "Check this out, I got 1 arm!" and sure enough ... his right arm was gone past the elbow. And while I'm trying to go, "Wait ...I didn't know ..." he punches me, solid left right between the eyes and cuts me. I wandered away into the bathroom, and looked in the mirror .... and I was just amazed at the cut, from just 1 punch. Took 15 stitches later.

But I went back out there, and I offered my left hand to shake his hand ... AND TRUER WORDS MAY HAVE NEVER BEEN SAID!

"Hey man ... this is just a party here ... nobody really wants to fight ... ok? Celebrate ... New Years." and he shook my hand ... and THAt'S WHEN I REALIZED HE HAD BRASS KNUCKLES! No wonder I was cut so bad. He started more shiat that night ... he's really lucky I went straight because .... well ... let's just say I knew who he was, and I coulda focked with him years later, considered destroying his car, and I didn't.

Oh yeah .... HE WAS FRIENDS WITH MARIO BATES! .... and that's why I knew that stupid punk ass wasn't gonna be any good as a pro fooyball player. I raced against Michael. He's sick fast. Marion is a good kid too ... but Mario was a little gangbanger fackhead. Knew he'd never fit in.

And ... I CALLED IT .... Bayless is gonna go pro. I think it's a mistake still. Could use a solid year under Lute. But, he's kinda fragile. Can't blame him for getting the money now, either.

Of course you could also say ... a guy with 1 arm ... kicked my ass. It's all in how you word it.

Please....seriously consider my post above, mmmmkay?

Remember HOLLOW points though. Must be hollow.

Oh wait ... I got another one ...

I was walking in NYC onetime just before i sued my landlord and won in court because i represneted myself

, and I could tell a guy driving a car was gonna try and plow through the pedestrians crossing. he almost ran me over because I walked in front of his car ... and he honked at me and flipped me off... but I had the right of way ... and I flipped him off back. He started calling me a faggit or something, and in the middle of the street I spun around, 180 degree's and I was in kill mode hulk like, cloud of dust

was in a bad mood already .because of the leaks in my apartment and no heat... anyway ... I came up to his car ... and drivers side window was down, i got right in the guys face, he must have been at least 7 feet tall and huge

"Get out of the car. It's not fair if I kick your ass when you are sitting down... get out of the car! What did you call me?"

And he drove away. nice car, yeah ... I woulda killed that guy, if he had gotten out of his car. I was already in a bad mood. Mighta just ripped his face off like some kinda angry cat....my cat vomitted on me last week .... that was my plan ... kill him quickly and painfully.

and vomit on him.

cause i'm the hulk

yeah.

A 6 foot 4 200 pound ... BLACK GUY ... with 1 arm ... AND brass knuckles ... and he didn't knock me out, I just stepped back going."WHOAAA DOOOOD!" until I felt the blood dripping down my face, and realized I was cut real bad.

A 6 foot 4 200 pound ... BLACK GUY ... with 1 arm ... AND brass knuckles ... and he didn't knock me out, I just stepped back going."WHOAAA DOOOOD!" until I felt the blood dripping down my face, and realized I was cut real bad.

Ok...I will edit.

So you got your ass kicked by a guy with one arm that you outweighed by at least 40 lbs?

Oh wait ... I got another one ...

I was walking in NYC onetime just before i sued my landlord and won in court because i represneted myself

, and I could tell a guy driving a car was gonna try and plow through the pedestrians crossing. he almost ran me over because I walked in front of his car ... and he honked at me and flipped me off... but I had the right of way ... and I flipped him off back. He started calling me a faggit or something, and in the middle of the street I spun around, 180 degree's and I was in kill mode hulk like, cloud of dust

was in a bad mood already .because of the leaks in my apartment and no heat... anyway ... I came up to his car ... and drivers side window was down, i got right in the guys face, he must have been at least 7 feet tall and huge

"Get out of the car. It's not fair if I kick your ass when you are sitting down... get out of the car! What did you call me?"

And he drove away. nice car, yeah ... I woulda killed that guy, if he had gotten out of his car. I was already in a bad mood. Mighta just ripped his face off like some kinda angry cat....my cat vomitted on me last week .... that was my plan ... kill him quickly and painfully.

and vomit on him.

cause i'm the hulk

yeah.

I still remember that fock ... honked at me for walking in front of his car, green light, pedestrian, nyc ... and I flipped him off ... my right of way ... and then he did some kinda d!ck socking move and called me a phaggot or something .... and normally I would ignore that ... but I was already in a really bad mood, and I turned around and started walking towards him ... "GET OUT OF THE CAR!" and I was gonna pull him from the car, and beat him up ... dude in the passenger seat looked all freaked out and they drove away.

Only in New York.

I woulda killed that guy too.

I still remember that fock ... honked at me for walking in front of his car, green light, pedestrian, nyc ... and I flipped him off ... my right of way ... and then he did some kinda d!ck socking move and called me a phaggot or something .... and normally I would ignore that ... but I was already in a really bad mood, and I turned around and started walking towards him ... "GET OUT OF THE CAR!" and I was gonna pull him from the car, and beat him up ... dude in the passenger seat looked all freaked out and they drove away.

Only in New York.

I woulda killed that guy too.

:mad: