Sign in to follow this  
CornKobb

Will the Dallas Cowboys really make a trade for....

I would go for them trading one of there #1 picks for a disgruntled vet wr for an instant impact.....

but is there even a remote chance this happens?

or is it just chatter??? :rolleyes:

I think them doing something stupid is a good possibility with Jones in charge.

Its definitely the main topic around the media. They would trade the 28th pick in a heart beat for a Chad Johnson, Roy Williams, or Anquon Bolden. Why would you draft a WR at 28, that would in all likelihood take a couple years to develop and learn the system, as most WRs drafted do, when you could get an immediate impact vet WR.

Arizona knows they cant afford to keep Bolden, with Fitz getting a fat contract, why wouldnt they make a trade, if not with Dallas, maybe someone else.

Detroit, pretty much in the same boat. With Calvin looking like who they expected to get (for once), and with needs elsewhere, they could be looking to move Roy, but IMO not as likely to happen as Bolden.

CJ and Cincy,,, Im just not buying into any of this hype. Cincy doesnt have to do anything, this is all CJ running his mouth and getting everything fired up. He loves living in the lime light, and I can see why he or any player would want out of Cincy, but just a little note to Chad...

You didnt have a problem when Cincy payed you to stick around for a while just last year, did ya.

He had his chance then to voice his displeasure, but what did he do.... took the money and shut his pie hole.

So out of the three scenarios, I would say Bolden has the highest draft day trade potential, or could even happen this week sometime, but who knows. If there is a player there at 28 that really intrigues Detroit or Cincy, it could happen.

New England only had to give up a 4th for Moss, so anyone saying this trade rumor is not realistic, hasnt been paying attention.

I don't think this is the draft to trade young, proven, very talented WR's. Especially, if the pick is in the latter part of the first round. The talent just isn't there. For Cincy it makes no sense because the cap hit by trading him is huge.

If I was Arizona, I'd find a way to keep Boldin. They have a luxury that almost every team doesn't. Most teams don't even have 1 #1 wideout. I'd dump Edge, and draft a back in the 2nd. I don't see how Dallas is in such a well off financial situation that they can afford giving a huge deal to Boldin, on top if giving a deal to MB3, and possibly Pacman.

I think ROY is the most possible player to move on. It was apparent last year that the Lions were trying to make Calvin the go-to-guy. Furrey and McDonald are pretty solid complement pieces. The Lions need a lot of help everywhere else though. Any pick in the first round would help them

Dallas would certainly have a problem when it comes to the cap...tho any of these trades would be a steal

john clayton said on espn's first take this morning that chad johnsons staying put....... :unsure:

I can tell this...if he's traded, it won't be to the Cowboys.

ESPN is reporting that the Bengals turned down potentially two 1st round picks from the Skins for him. One is this year's 1st rounder and the other is next year's 3rd rounder that could turn into a 1st if certain conditions are met.

There is NO WAY that Dallas would want to exceed that offer.

Especially when you can give Matt Millen this year's 8th round pick for Roy Williams. :thumbsup:

I don't know if anything will actually happen, but you better believe Jerry has taken notice to what adding Randy Moss did for that offense in NE last year and is salavating at the thought of adding a guy like CJ or RW to the weapons they already have.

john clayton said on espn's first take this morning that chad johnsons staying put....... :thumbsup:

ooh, chad's not going to like that. no... not one bit. there's going to be hell to pay

I don't know if anything will actually happen, but you better believe Jerry has taken notice to what adding Randy Moss did for that offense in NE last year and is salavating at the thought of adding a guy like CJ or RW to the weapons they already have.

Yes, but NE did not have a TO. There is a big difference but I hope JJ sees it the way you do.

Will the Dallas Cowboys really make a trade for...., one of the veteran WR's out there...Chad, Roy, or Anquan?

No

Yes, but NE did not have a TO. There is a big difference but I hope JJ sees it the way you do.

I'm not sure I told you how I see it. I think Jerry only sees the potential in pairing an elite receiver along side of TO and Witten and is not really interested in chemestry or cohesion or risk. But again, we're discussing what the Dallas might do, and I doubt he's going to ask me what I think, so my opinion on the matter is irrelevant.

I'm not sure I told you how I see it. I think Jerry only sees the potential in pairing an elite receiver along side of TO and Witten and is not really interested in chemestry or cohesion or risk. But again, we're discussing what the Dallas might do, and I doubt he's going to ask me what I think, so my opinion on the matter is irrelevant.

No, I am saying that NE did not have a #1 WR and really didn't have a #2 either. Dallas already has an impact #1 WR so you cannot compare what happen in NE with what would happen in Dallas. My statement had nothing to do with chemestry.

No, I am saying that NE did not have a #1 WR and really didn't have a #2 either. Dallas already has an impact #1 WR so you cannot compare what happen in NE with what would happen in Dallas. My statement had nothing to do with chemestry.

Pairing another elite receiver with TO would create some devistating matchups for defenses. The NFL is a game of matchups these days. You can game plan to shut down a #1 WR by rolling coverage his way or pairing your best cover guy on him. But having two guys like that is a nightmare for defeses to contend with because it creates matchup problems for them on every play. If Dallas somehow managed to bring in a WR of the stature of a Roy Williams or Chad Johnson, make no mistake about it, that would be a scary, scary offense to defend.

It was apparent last year that the Lions were trying to make Calvin the go-to-guy. Furrey and McDonald are pretty solid complement pieces.

I'm not saying Roy won't be dealt or saying McDonald and Furrey aren't solid compliment pieces, (that seems to be the route they'll be going for the future.... )

I'm just curious... how was it apparent last year that the Lions were trying to make Calvin the go to guy? I know he missed some time here and there with the injury, but he was 4th on the team in receptions and tied for 3rd in targets... I actually picked him up in a redraft league later in the year when someone dropped him hoping Detroit would feed him the pill down the stretch to see what he brought to the table, and was even more excited when Roy got hurt thinking Calvin would get over fed, but it was McDonald & Furrey catchin 6 and 7 balls every week....

jones said in an interview last week that he is definitely in the "now" mode versus the "later/future" mode. he said this regarding speculation of the boys using their 1st rdrs to move up and draft mcfadden. the particular article/interview had him alluding to their offensive fizzle in the 2nd half of the giants playoff game.

i personally agree and had them snaring an offensive and defensive weapon with their picks. for example, i think another toy with homerun capability lining up with TO and witten would give jason garrett and tony romo even more "playbook fun". if desean jackson were available, he might be a right fit: he has size questions relating to his durability in the next level (steve smith speed/acceleration, but not the scrappiness and toughness), and probably can't be a wr1 or wr2, but would be a nice "extra" in an already established pass game. defensively, i think they'd love one of the top5 corners falling to them (particularly jenkins or cason), and perhaps even a quentin groves to work into the pass rush rotation and eventually replace veteran greg ellis (who did play great last yr post injury).

Star Telegram

April 22, 2008

Cowboys want veteran WR

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says he has talked with another team in the offseason in regard to trading for a veteran wide receiver. He would not reveal what team or when he talked with them but did say he has NOT talked with Cincinnati Bengals (which would be about Chad Johnson).

The Cowboys will be in the market for a veteran receiver on draft day and those possibilities include -- Johnson, Arizona's Anquan Boldin and Detroit's Roy Williams. Jones will be searching for a veteran because he does not believe there is an impact wide receiver in this draft. So, rule out the Cowboys going with a receiver with one of the first round picks at No. 22 and 28.

_ Rick Herrin

Dallas already has a top WR in TO, so why do they "need" another top WR. The only reason I can think of is that Romo sucks. This teams has greater needs than a WR.

Dallas already has a top WR in TO, so why do they "need" another top WR. The only reason I can think of is that Romo sucks. This teams has greater needs than a WR.

They need another top receiver because there is no guarantee Glenn will be the same. That leaves Patrick Crayton as their #2 guy and we've all seen what happens when that's the case. They desperately need another top WR. TO is in the last year of his contract and is getting up in age.

If they can get Roy Williams or Anquan Boldin then they at least have something for the next 4-5 years there because TO won't be around.

If they DO get one of these guys, I would bet they release Terry Glenn, although I'm not sure about the cap ramifications. He's due a ton of money and he's coming off a very serious knee injury.

They need another top receiver because there is no guarantee Glenn will be the same. That leaves Patrick Crayton as their #2 guy and we've all seen what happens when that's the case. They desperately need another top WR. TO is in the last year of his contract and is getting up in age.

If they can get Roy Williams or Anquan Boldin then they at least have something for the next 4-5 years there because TO won't be around.

If they DO get one of these guys, I would bet they release Terry Glenn, although I'm not sure about the cap ramifications. He's due a ton of money and he's coming off a very serious knee injury.

My point was that Great QBs don't "Need" 2 great WRs to be successful. Getting another top WR has been the subject of 80% of the off season. How can people say Romo is one of the top QBs in the league and then say he needs another impact WR? The key here is the use of the word “Need” instead of “Want”.

My point was that Great QBs don't "Need" 2 great WRs to be successful. Getting another top WR has been the subject of 80% of the off season. How can people say Romo is one of the top QBs in the league and then say he needs another impact WR? The key here is the use of the word “Need” instead of “Want”.

Yeah, we get it. You don't like Romo.

Why are you arguing semantics?

Obviously no one really thinks that they NEED a stud No. 2 WR. They didn't have one last year, while putting up massive amount of points in the regular season. Their players were on a lot of championship teams.

But, of course they would LIKE a stud No. 2 guy, especially since TO isn't very young anymore.

So what the fock does this have to do with Romo? Nothing, you just don't like him. Try to leave you bias out of the conversation.

Yeah, we get it. You don't like Romo.

Why are you arguing semantics?

Obviously no one really thinks that they NEED a stud No. 2 WR. They didn't have one last year, while putting up massive amount of points in the regular season. Their players were on a lot of championship teams.

But, of course they would LIKE a stud No. 2 guy, especially since TO isn't very young anymore.

So what the fock does this have to do with Romo? Nothing, you just don't like him. Try to leave you bias out of the conversation.

I am just sick of Cowboy fans talking out of both sides of their a$$. The word "Need" was used over and over and for many fans WR was a top priority. I have never heard talk like this from fans of a team with a great QB. It is not about me liking or disliking Romo, it is more that I really don't think Cowboy fans think he is as good as they claim he is.

I am just sick of Cowboy fans talking out of both sides of their a$$. The word "Need" was used over and over and for many fans WR was a top priority. I have never heard talk like this from fans of a team with a great QB. It is not about me liking or disliking Romo, it is more that I really don't think Cowboy fans think he is as good as they claim he is.

I'm not claiming Romo is all that. I'm a Cowboy fan and I still have reservations about him. I think he's a very good QB and much better than anything they've had since Aikman, but I still need to see one more year of him before I'm 100% sold on him. I'm cynical and I'm always questioning things when a player rises from total obscurity to superstardom in 1 year. I want to see how he handles all of this superstardom, starlet, and added pressure to win a Super Bowl.

He handled it pretty well last year, but the pressure was turned up every week. This year it's going to be intense and I want to see how he handles it and I want to see what kind of leader he can be this year if things don't go well. The few games he's lost, he's had a tendency to pout and has "slumped shoulders syndrome" when they are getting whipped.

I am a noob to the forums and totally amazed at the hostility in the posts.I have been reading FFT for a couple of years now and still am at a loss to all the flaming....."NEED"....."WANT"....Give me a freaking break! Let Cowboy fans have their wish lists,and I am a Cowboy fan for life since the Craig Morton days and I agree that another stud receiver would be a huge plus.Do we have other holes to fill?sure,....but anyone that posts in any Football forum can only speculate and take estimated guesses as the year rolls on.....is that not the fun in being part of FFT?I will be extremely careful before posting in the future,I for one do not have an interest in having my posts disected for correct wordage from a guy that is in need of a refill for valium.

I am a noob to the forums and totally amazed at the hostility in the posts.I have been reading FFT for a couple of years now and still am at a loss to all the flaming....."NEED"....."WANT"....Give me a freaking break! Let Cowboy fans have their wish lists,and I am a Cowboy fan for life since the Craig Morton days and I agree that another stud receiver would be a huge plus.Do we have other holes to fill?sure,....but anyone that posts in any Football forum can only speculate and take estimated guesses as the year rolls on.....is that not the fun in being part of FFT?I will be extremely careful before posting in the future,I for one do not have an interest in having my posts disected for correct wordage from a guy that is in need of a refill for valium.

:music_guitarred:

It's a valid point Phurfur...Brady did it with a bunch scrubs for WR up until this past year. And hell, like Wes Welker, Jabbar Gaffney and Donte Stallworth were all-world guys before they went there??? Hell no, Brady made those guys, and he remade Moss. The problem with most Cowboys fans is they think everything is hunky-dory on their team and all they're missing is a WR. It never occurs to them perhaps they've been as brainwashed as everybody else thinking that every player on their team is a ProBowler who is the best at his position, and now they just need one more Probowler to put them over the top. Romo, Roy Williams (safety), TO, it seems like none of these guys show up when the chips are down...so how's that one stud WR gonna fix that???

FWIW...the Cowboys don't need Roy Williams, don't need Anquan Boldin and could use a Chad Johnson type WR, but not Chad himself. What the Cowboys need is another Terry Glen. A pure speed guy to stretch the field and open up the area where Witten and TO like work. Crayton isn't it. And though TO can still get up the field, he's more of a possession guy who's just too big and strong to bring down. Anquan is just a TO replica. Roy Williams has the deep speed but doesn't use it all that much and Chad definitely opens up the field but his ego and TO's won't jibe. The Cowboys could use a Greg Jennings, Dante Stallworth or Santonio Holmes kind of deep threat, but they don't need a guy who commands 100 catches a year.

It's a valid point Phurfur...Brady did it with a bunch scrubs for WR up until this past year. And hell, like Wes Welker, Jabbar Gaffney and Donte Stallworth were all-world guys before they went there??? Hell no, Brady made those guys, and he remade Moss. The problem with most Cowboys fans is they think everything is hunky-dory on their team and all they're missing is a WR. It never occurs to them perhaps they've been as brainwashed as everybody else thinking that every player on their team is a ProBowler who is the best at his position, and now they just need one more Probowler to put them over the top. Romo, Roy Williams (safety), TO, it seems like none of these guys show up when the chips are down...so how's that one stud WR gonna fix that???

FWIW...the Cowboys don't need Roy Williams, don't need Anquan Boldin and could use a Chad Johnson type WR, but not Chad himself. What the Cowboys need is another Terry Glen. A pure speed guy to stretch the field and open up the area where Witten and TO like work. Crayton isn't it. And though TO can still get up the field, he's more of a possession guy who's just too big and strong to bring down. Anquan is just a TO replica. Roy Williams has the deep speed but doesn't use it all that much and Chad definitely opens up the field but his ego and TO's won't jibe. The Cowboys could use a Greg Jennings, Dante Stallworth or Santonio Holmes kind of deep threat, but they don't need a guy who commands 100 catches a year.

one thing's for sure: brady did not "remake" moss.

moss actually gave a damn and liked his life, so he did what he does best---catch TD bombs.

brady was a decently accurate qb who had only 2 seasons with a 90+ rating his whole life (both lower than jeff garcia's top2 yrs when he posted 30+TDs while he had the other super wr---TO). last yr's stats by brady were not the product of his offseason workouts, practices, or improvement---they were due to moss. period. :thumbsup:

as for your point regarding romo: i agree they "want" another stud wr, but they "need" a better wr than what they have in crayton/hurd/etc. glenn is hurt, so i cant evaluate him---if healthy, he would do fine opposite TO.

as for their needs: yes, they have a lot of overrated guys. as much as ocho nada is overrated on offense/wr, roy williams (S) is as bunk on defense. guy makes big hits, but is TERRIBLE in coverage. he is above average at best; nothing close to the player sean taylor was or ed reed is. they still need a cb2, too (they havent had a legit one in like 7yrs).

and he remade Moss.

:thumbsup:

And by the way, guys like D Branch, Troy Brown, D Patten, K Faulk, and B Watson were not scrubs by any stretch. They may not be studs in the fantasy world, but those guys were a great fit for what they did in NE. Defending those quick receivers on those short timing routes was damn near impossible to defend and NE would spread it around to so many guys and you never knew where it was going. They have also always been very good working off the play action pass and set that up perfectly.

:angry:

And by the way, guys like D Branch, Troy Brown, D Patten, K Faulk, and B Watson were not scrubs by any stretch. They may not be studs in the fantasy world, but those guys were a great fit for what they did in NE. Defending those quick receivers on those short timing routes was damn near impossible to defend and NE would spread it around to so many guys and you never knew where it was going. They have also always been very good working off the play action pass and set that up perfectly.

They are in no way in the class of TO and Witten, but you do help prove my point.

one thing's for sure: brady did not "remake" moss.

moss actually gave a damn and liked his life, so he did what he does best---catch TD bombs.

brady was a decently accurate qb who had only 2 seasons with a 90+ rating his whole life (both lower than jeff garcia's top2 yrs when he posted 30+TDs while he had the other super wr---TO). last yr's stats by brady were not the product of his offseason workouts, practices, or improvement---they were due to moss. period. :angry:

as for your point regarding romo: i agree they "want" another stud wr, but they "need" a better wr than what they have in crayton/hurd/etc. glenn is hurt, so i cant evaluate him---if healthy, he would do fine opposite TO.

as for their needs: yes, they have a lot of overrated guys. as much as ocho nada is overrated on offense/wr, roy williams (S) is as bunk on defense. guy makes big hits, but is TERRIBLE in coverage. he is above average at best; nothing close to the player sean taylor was or ed reed is. they still need a cb2, too (they havent had a legit one in like 7yrs).

Two posters that actually watch the games and think for themselves. I have to agree with both of these posts.

They are in no way in the class of TO and Witten, but you do help prove my point.

There are a number of points made in here, so I'm not exactly sure which one you are referring to, but I don't think it says much about the value at WR for Dallas one way or another. Some of what you have posted I am in full agreement on, some of it less so.

then you've completely misunderstood the basis of the need. the entire basis of the WR talk has centered around age. TO may be a physical freak, but he's well over 30, as is glenn (who has serious knee problems). after that, the talent falls off to crayton, hurd, and austin, none of whom can really threaten a defense. this is opposed to NE (moss/welker), cincy (CJ/housh), indy (harrison/wayne), or even NYG (plax/toomer).

dallas is looking both at the possibility of '08 without glenn, and '09-'12 without glenn or TO. it's hardly indictable for a team to try to avoid a future talent void.