Sign in to follow this  
Lionsjunkie

Gore at 6!

Convince me otherwise not to take Gore at 6...

I like the fact that Mad Martz has been/is an offensive wizard, although it sure didn't appear that way in Motown and the fact that he plans on using Gore like Marshall Faulk was used...

How is the o-line in SF...gimme some homer insight :thumbsdown:

One would think that with the lack of a solid Qb that the Niners would rely heavily on Gore...sure that may hurt him as teams will more than likely stack the box but a good back can and still should succeed...

Let's not forget he's one year removed from almsot 2200 yards including 1695 on the ground and 9 TD's..

I WILL NOT pick Brady here and can't justify MBIII or Portis ahead of him...

:dunno:

Convince me otherwise not to take Gore at 6...

I like the fact that Mad Martz has been/is an offensive wizard, although it sure didn't appear that way in Motown and the fact that he plans on using Gore like Marshall Faulk was used...

How is the o-line in SF...gimme some homer insight :unsure:

One would think that with the lack of a solid Qb that the Niners would rely heavily on Gore...sure that may hurt him as teams will more than likely stack the box but a good back can and still should succeed...

Let's not forget he's one year removed from almsot 2200 yards including 1695 on the ground and 9 TD's..

I WILL NOT pick Brady here and can't justify MBIII or Portis ahead of him...

:)

I would take MBIII. He was a stud playing only 2nd half of games and goalline. He will pad those stats. His team has soooo many weapons you can't stick 8 guys in the box to stop him. While in SF Gore is the only weapon on offense and they have NO QB to keep a team honest.

Only way I would take Gore over MB is if it was PPR.

Not saying Gore is a bad pick, but wouldn't take him over MB

I would take MBIII. He was a stud playing only 2nd half of games and goalline. He will pad those stats. His team has soooo many weapons you can't stick 8 guys in the box to stop him. While in SF Gore is the only weapon on offense and they have NO QB to keep a team honest.

Only way I would take Gore over MB is if it was PPR.

Not saying Gore is a bad pick, but wouldn't take him over MB

It is a PPR league which is another reason I think Gore will put up great numbers. I keep hearing that Martz is going to ride him all Sunday long and I'd expect a bunch of checkdowns from whomever is at QB.

Also Gore doesn't have anybody that will steal carries and or touches at the goal line...that can't be said about MBIII... I honestly think there is a reason why he has always shared the rock....Dallas goes out and spends a first round pick on another RB :overhead:

I think MBIII is far over-valued.... I have Portis & LJ ranked ahead of him and MBIII just barely ahead of Lynch.

:unsure:

Is'nt that what they said about Kevin Jones? Lets face it Marshall Faulk was one of the great backs in NFL history. Gore is just a good back.

Is'nt that what they said about Kevin Jones? Lets face it Marshall Faulk was one of the great backs in NFL history. Gore is just a good back.

All these if's is why I'm going Brady.

He's no IF, and everything looks as good as last year or even better.

I'll be glad those FF points are being added to my team this year ! :pointstosky:

Stud RBs are there outside the 1st round.

Funny how Martz, the "offensive wizard" who makes people automatically better, and can turn any RB into Marshall Faulk, can't seem to hold a job, either on the HC or OC level...

All these if's is why I'm going Brady.

He's no IF, and everything looks as good as last year or even better.

I'll be glad those FF points are being added to my team this year ! :pointstosky:

Stud RBs are there outside the 1st round.

I'm at #6 as well and have the same situation. The guy ahead of me has Laurence Moroney as a keeper, the guy behind me has AP and Drew Brees. I'm holding onto Addai.

There's a chance that Brady goes at #5, but I think that he'll take another RB. The guy at #7 will not take a QB, and most likely will take a RB or WR.

At #6, I'd take Brady over Gore, but I like Gore's prospects this year and wouldn't mind at all having him at this spot.

Funny how Martz, the "offensive wizard" who makes people automatically better, and can turn any RB into Marshall Faulk, can't seem to hold a job, either on the HC or OC level...

The guy who can't hold a job took a 2-14 team to a Superbowl victory as an O.C and lead another team to the SB as H.C... I wouldn't discount Martz because of his time in Detroit, that's where all coaches go to die :pointstosky:

He turned Kurt Warner into a star QB pretty much overnight....

The guy who can't hold a job took a 2-14 team to a Superbowl victory as an O.C and lead another team to the SB as H.C... I wouldn't discount Martz because of his time in Detroit, that's where all coaches go to die :pointstosky:

He turned Kurt Warner into a star QB pretty much overnight....

The more I see Warner play QB and the more I see Martz coach, I think it is the other way around. :banana:

The more I see Warner play QB and the more I see Martz coach, I think it is the other way around. :bandana:

:lol:

:dunno:

didn't Gore have over two-thousand total yards and 9Td's 2 years ago without Mike Martz? Just asking.

I think MBIII is far over-valued.... I have Portis & LJ ranked ahead of him and MBIII just barely ahead of Lynch.

:rolleyes:

If you believe in your rankings then take Gore, why ask? :mad:

If you believe in your rankings then take Gore, why ask? :mad:

It's called a forum...looking for as much insight/views as possible. The season is a month away and who knows, maybe my outlook on the 6 hole changes, but if I had to draft today I'm taking Gore.

Who are you taking???

:rolleyes:

I personally like MBIII, Lynch, & Portis better than Gore so there is no way I'd take Gore at 6!!!!!!!!!!! Gore will not be a top 10 running back this year.

I am also debating the same thing. I have the 6th pick in a 12 team non ppr redraft. It looks like Sjax may fall with the holdout, but i'm havig LJ flashbacks. Thinking of Gore or Portis.

Sorry. I am onboard the Gore crazy train.

If I am in a 10 team league, I might take him earlier and just swing for the fences. I think he has huge upside. I just LOVE the fact he has been talking to Marshall Faulk. Ah. Marshall and I had some good times winning titles together. I just won't be able to lay off Gore given the chance.

Im now considering Gore at 5 in a PPR over Addai..... the guy just doesnt have a lot of competition, and even though i owned him last year and he focked me from the 4 spot, it seems hes gonna get a ton of opportunities here... in IND Addai has to compete with his wrs , and now rhodes.

Good read if you're on the Gore train...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate...;entry_id=28845

Gore Channels his Inner Marshall

Not much going on in Santa Clara Tuesday, just a single special teams practice in the late afternoon. So, with all the negativity surrounding the 49ers' offense and their passing game, we thought we might try to lift some spirits and turn to Frank Gore.

This is the the best shape I've seen him in. He said he dropped 10 pounds and he said he weighs about 214. He's never had the cut physique of a Vernon Davis, but gone is last year's baby fat. I don't blame him for that. Last year was one of the toughest of his life. He lost his mother, Liz, in September and then good friend Sean Taylor later in the season. He wanted to gain over 2,000 yards and he barely made half of that with 1,102 yards. He also saw his yards per carry drop from 5.4 in 2006 to 4.2 last year. He battled through a sprained ankle for most of the season and had to watch opportunities disappear while the offense put together the most three-and-outs of any team in the league.

Frank Gore is a huge positive for this year's offense.

Gore has the type of personality where he blames much of last year's offensive woes upon himself. So this year he decided to take a different approach. He's doing everything future Hall of Fame running back Marshall Faulk is telling him to do.

"I talked to him three of four times," Gore said. "Before training camp he told me some things."

The first was to get down to 212 pounds, the same weight Faulk was when he was the centerpiece of the Rams' offense under Mike Martz. He told Gore to run after practice every day. Gore does that. And he said to pepper Martz with questions and Gore is complying there too.

The mimick of Faulk is going well. Gore looks like a more polished receiver and he's darting into holes with razor-like cuts.

Martz is likely to use Gore differently than Faulk - more running and less pass receiving. Martz is also likely to do everything he can to get defenses from loading up against Gore by using three- and four-receiver sets and lots of motion.

Maybe Gore does rush for 2,000 yards, just a year later than he anticipated.

Posted By: Kevin Lynch (Email) | August 05 2008 at 11:40 P

IMO MBIII is a better pick at #6 than Gore, Porits or LJ. Solid team...gonna run the ball a lot..and I think he'll even get a few more catches out of hte backfield. I am probably in the minority, but I actually would have to seriously consider Portis over Gore, too, if I was in the position. Not sure why...call it gut feeling...but I just have concerns about SF and Gore's success this year. IMO Martz is far over-valued.

I have the 6th pick as well in a redraft and thinking Gore might be the pick there. Portis is another possibility, as he also is one of the rare non-RBBC guys. No way would I take Barber that high, but that's just me. The problem I'm seeing from the mocks I've done from the 6 hole, is what to do in rounds 2-5. The best results I've gotten have been RB-WR-RB-WR then Witten or Winslow. The 5th round has not shown any value either at RB or WR.

I am not targeting Gore in the first round of a 10-team league at all. Let me explain with data. Gore had a nice year in 2006, with 1695 yds and 8 TDs. But if I'm going to draft a RB in the first round, I need double-digit TDs. So you look at the next year, to see if he could build on 2006's success, and he gets just 1102 yds and 5 TDs.

TDs are important in my league, as they're worth 6 points, the same as 60 yds. You look at MBIII, and he had 14 rushing TDs in '06, and 10 last year. That's 24 rushing TDs in 2 years, compared to Gore's 13. San Fran is a bad team, who just doesn't get many opportunities to score TDs. So you have to go on Gore's yardage if you want him to score for you. Seeing that he had a mediocre 1100 last year, and Martz's RBs usually don't see their rushing yards increase, I don't see Gore having 1500 yds this season. I know, I'm leaving out receptions. Over the past 2 years, Gore gets about 450 yds and 1 receiving TD. That adds to his totals, but not enough to excite me.

Everyone's saying how Martz is going to jump-start Gore's career and make him the next Faulk by getting him more involved in the passing game. Well, he didn't do that in Detroit with the Lions' RBs. I think people are giving too much of Warner and Faulk's credit to Martz. Marshall Faulk was an elite player, and Gore is not.

When I started my 2008 analysis, I had MBIII in the 2nd round, as I also don't get excited about RBs who rush for less than 1000 yds. However, a closer look reveals that his lack of yardage in recent years is make up (fantasy points-wise) with TDs. I'll take MBIII's 975 yds (97 fantasy points) and 10 TDs (60 pts), over Gore's 1100 yds (110 pts) and 5 TDs (30 pts). And then when you consider MBIII is going to be the featured back this year in Dallas, it's a no-brainer. I'm not concered about Felix Jones, especially after what as revealed in last week's "Hard Knocks" episode where Garrett said MBIII is their "every down back". I'm much more excited about what MBIII is going to do as the featured back in Dallas, than Gore as the center of the entire offense in SF.

I do have Gore as the first player taken in the 2nd round. I don't hate him, just think 10 players are better (LT, AP, Westbrook, Addai, Jackson, Lynch, Portis, MBIII, Brady, Manning). No, I didn't contradict myself, I see Lynch getting double-digit rushing TDs this year.

I am not targeting Gore in the first round of a 10-team league at all. Let me explain with data. Gore had a nice year in 2006, with 1695 yds and 8 TDs. But if I'm going to draft a RB in the first round, I need double-digit TDs. So you look at the next year, to see if he could build on 2006's success, and he gets just 1102 yds and 5 TDs.

TDs are important in my league, as they're worth 6 points, the same as 60 yds. You look at MBIII, and he had 14 rushing TDs in '06, and 10 last year. That's 24 rushing TDs in 2 years, compared to Gore's 13. San Fran is a bad team, who just doesn't get many opportunities to score TDs. So you have to go on Gore's yardage if you want him to score for you. Seeing that he had a mediocre 1100 last year, and Martz's RBs usually don't see their rushing yards increase, I don't see Gore having 1500 yds this season. I know, I'm leaving out receptions. Over the past 2 years, Gore gets about 450 yds and 1 receiving TD. That adds to his totals, but not enough to excite me.

Everyone's saying how Martz is going to jump-start Gore's career and make him the next Faulk by getting him more involved in the passing game. Well, he didn't do that in Detroit with the Lions' RBs. I think people are giving too much of Warner and Faulk's credit to Martz. Marshall Faulk was an elite player, and Gore is not.

When I started my 2008 analysis, I had MBIII in the 2nd round, as I also don't get excited about RBs who rush for less than 1000 yds. However, a closer look reveals that his lack of yardage in recent years is make up (fantasy points-wise) with TDs. I'll take MBIII's 975 yds (97 fantasy points) and 10 TDs (60 pts), over Gore's 1100 yds (110 pts) and 5 TDs (30 pts). And then when you consider MBIII is going to be the featured back this year in Dallas, it's a no-brainer. I'm not concered about Felix Jones, especially after what as revealed in last week's "Hard Knocks" episode where Garrett said MBIII is their "every down back". I'm much more excited about what MBIII is going to do as the featured back in Dallas, than Gore as the center of the entire offense in SF.

I do have Gore as the first player taken in the 2nd round. I don't hate him, just think 10 players are better (LT, AP, Westbrook, Addai, Jackson, Lynch, Portis, MBIII, Brady, Manning). No, I didn't contradict myself, I see Lynch getting double-digit rushing TDs this year.

:music_guitarred: