Sign in to follow this  
Wheaties

Thoughts on Kurt Warner

This guy drove me to the FF Championship last year. Not much has changed in Arizona and he's starting again. He has one of the best WR tandems in the league and a decent running game. I really only see 3-4 "tough" matchups for him on the schedule. Of course, injuries are a distinct possbility with Warner.

Is there good chance he can repeat last year's gaudy numbers?

My draft was a few weeks ago (as I'm sure most were) and Warner was not starting. I was able to get him in the final round of the draft as an upside pick. I'm sure now he's going in the middle rounds and possibly as some teams' QB1.

I happened to draft Brees early, so I'm just wondering if I'd be crazy to consider starting Warner over Brees when the matchups dictate... such as Week 1... Brees vs TB... Warner at SF.

This isn't a "who should I start" as much as it is a "anyone else starting Warner over (insert stud QB here)?" topic.

Thoughts?

Warner was a stud last year. I think he has a good chance to put up big numbers if he stays healthy. I would no start him over Brees until he gives you a reason to.

You have the right attitude - look at the match ups and play your best. Warner, IMO, is still a stud.

Brees is your number one, but Warner is a very close 2.

On a per start basis, not sure if anyone but Brady did better in 2007. Nothing has changed except maybe Boldin and Fitz will both stay healthy?

I hope I can ride him to the promise land this year!

Warner had nearly 3500 yards last year with 27 TDs and 17 ints and did this in only 14 games. He has two stud WRs and a pretty good run game. The guy is the steal of the draft at QB. He is falling to rounds 12-14.

Warner had nearly 3500 yards last year with 27 TDs and 17 ints and did this in only 14 games. He has two stud WRs and a pretty good run game. The guy is the steal of the draft at QB. He is falling to rounds 12-14.

And too make this even more significant he only started 11 games and played 8 full games. I think that is right. Anyway, it was a full 14 games so those numbers could be even better.

And too make this even more significant he only started 11 games and played 8 full games. I think that is right. Anyway, it was a full 14 games so those numbers could be even better.

His fantasy points per start were 2nd only to Brady last year. I won't count a game in which he started and threw 2 passes.

Platooning him with Favre. Just playing matchups with the two old gunslingers and was able to get them both so late my roster is stacked. You fockers can have Brady in round 1. Value baby, value.

If I'm you I trade Brees to the Fitzgerald owner before the season even begins. Have the Fitz owner package an upside tier 2 RB (Graham?, Jacobs, or whoever his 2nd RB is) and maybe his backup QB or some other value guy. Brees is excellent but his value now is at an all time high and you could probably get a good amount for him. Couple Warner with Fitz and get a viable RB2 and whatever else you can get and you're in great shape. I'd pick up Lienert though too, just in case. If he's on a team I imagine he'll get dropped soon and if he's in the FA pool, golden.

My take on it, anyway. Trade Brees!

I'm starting him over D. Anderson week 1! :rolleyes:

X2; actually the first 3 weeks probably. DA has Dallas then Pitt then @ Baltimore.

To the original poster, Brees may not play week 1 if Gustav hits N.O. and is as bad as predicted. Unless they go to Houston or switch it to T.B. you may HAVE to start Warner.

Warner is a Superbowl Champion and has played in two Superbowls. He is also a two time league MVP who is now on a team with two stud WRs. The guy can still play and most importantly is willing to get out there and has expressed his desire to play. No quit in this guy and he just wants to get out there and sling that rock to help his team win. He has the heart of a champion while Leinart has the heart of a quitter.

I waited on drafting QBs this year and got E. Manning and D. Gerrard and figured I'd platoon them. When Warner was still avail in the final rds I said scr*w it and picked him up over say a 5th WR. I am starting Warner wk one vs SF and will ride with him as long as I can. Hoping to trade away one of the 3 eventually.

Warner as a co-starter? Solid. Warner as your clear cut number 1 QB? Trouble. Although he is in nearly a perfect fantasy situation he is not far removed from the 5 turnover days of old and he is certainly no less fragile now that he's a year older. Couple that with the fact that the Cards brass is itching to find out what they have in Leinhart and at least fish or cut bait with him and you have problems.

I would easily start him over Anderson week one and will start him week one in my more important league over Cutler vs. the raiders. However I just don't see putting all my eggs in this guys one fragile bastket.

Warner as a co-starter? Solid. Warner as your clear cut number 1 QB? Trouble. Although he is in nearly a perfect fantasy situation he is not far removed from the 5 turnover days of old and he is certainly no less fragile now that he's a year older. Couple that with the fact that the Cards brass is itching to find out what they have in Leinhart and at least fish or cut bait with him and you have problems.

I would easily start him over Anderson week one and will start him week one in my more important league over Cutler vs. the raiders. However I just don't see putting all my eggs in this guys one fragile bastket.

All i have to say is you guys are making me feel a whole lot better about dropping campbell for warner via W.W. last night. I have DMac and A. Rodgers, feeling a lot better at QB with Warner starting.

If I'm you I trade Brees to the Fitzgerald owner before the season even begins. Have the Fitz owner package an upside tier 2 RB (Graham?, Jacobs, or whoever his 2nd RB is) and maybe his backup QB or some other value guy. Brees is excellent but his value now is at an all time high and you could probably get a good amount for him. Couple Warner with Fitz and get a viable RB2 and whatever else you can get and you're in great shape. I'd pick up Lienert though too, just in case. If he's on a team I imagine he'll get dropped soon and if he's in the FA pool, golden.

I was able to draft both Fitz (paired with Reggie Wayne) and Warner... :headbanger:

And will be starting him over Cutler Week 1, as well...... :P :pointstosky:

what would you give up for warner? the guy that picked him up off the waiver wire is wanting me to trade either steve smit, dmac or lee evans.......he is desperate for a rb or wr where i am pretty well stacked....we start 2 rbs 2 wrs and a flex......my rbs AP, dmac,s. young, K. smith, chester taylor, A. hall....my wrs....T.O, Fitzgerald, Steve smith, Lee evans, K. walter....should i give up Evans for Warner?

I think as long as Warner is playing he will put up big numbers. Like you have noted, you ride the wave when he's hot knowing full well at some point the ride will end sooner than it was supposed to.

My guess is he will start well, hit a lull due to injury or too many turnovers in the middle of the season, be replaced then replace Leinart at the end of the year for another FF playoff run.

:rolleyes: >>>>> :unsure: >>>>> :unsure:

what would you give up for warner? the guy that picked him up off the waiver wire is wanting me to trade either steve smit, dmac or lee evans.......he is desperate for a rb or wr where i am pretty well stacked....we start 2 rbs 2 wrs and a flex......my rbs AP, dmac,s. young, K. smith, chester taylor, A. hall....my wrs....T.O, Fitzgerald, Steve smith, Lee evans, K. walter....should i give up Evans for Warner?

I have both Warner and Evans, and I would trade Evans to get Warner in return in a heartbeat and never look back. This is especially true with the depth you have at WR. Evans will never sniff the field for you unless you get killed with injuries. You've got plenty of RB talent to fill your flex spot while Smitty is on suspension, so take Warner for Evans quickly, very quickly.

Last year Warner had to go through a song and dance with coach Whisenhunt about who would start each week. He wasn't named the starter to begin the season and had to endure weeks of uncertainty, even having to share the field during games with Leinart for specific plays. It was a disaster, but Kurt persevered. He wound up being a #1 fantasy QB when things settled down and this offseason has looked just as sharp as he did last year. And what about last year? Let's take a look at the last eight weeks of the season:

Last 8 Games (2007): YDS-TD-INT

259-3-1

211-2-0

484-2-2

169-2-1

337-3-5

233-3-1

369-3-0

300-3-2

If you took that half season of play and simply projected it to a full 16 games it amounts to 4,724 yards, 42 touchdowns, and 24 interceptions. Amazing.

He only started 11 games in 2007, but still posted 3,417 yards, 27 touchdowns, and 17 interceptions. 2008: he's the declared starter and has no distractions.

Bottom line: Kurt Warner is a FF stud :thumbsdown:

I have both Warner and Evans, and I would trade Evans to get Warner in return in a heartbeat and never look back. This is especially true with the depth you have at WR. Evans will never sniff the field for you unless you get killed with injuries. You've got plenty of RB talent to fill your flex spot while Smitty is on suspension, so take Warner for Evans quickly, very quickly.

He'd have to give up more than just Evans to get Warner. Unless the person that currently has Warner has never been in FF before.

ONly concern with Warner is he is soft.

His chest will cave in on one of these hits...

Dude played with an arm wrapped in ace bandages and tape and played extremely well. He is tough. He proved it last year.

Warner isn`t soft. Any QB that can last this long, without great talent around him, and play a a high level is anything but. Other than an injury, which you can never count on, the only reason to pull Warner is that ARZ tanks and they fall out of playoff contention early. This organization knows that on paper it should be in the playoff talk all year and falling out of it would be a chance to look at Lienart to see why they made him a 1`st round pick at all.

Platooning him with Favre. Just playing matchups with the two old gunslingers and was able to get them both so late my roster is stacked. You fockers can have Brady in round 1. Value baby, value.

Bravo!

Guys in my league drafted QBs early and were left chasing crummy RBs for the most part while me and a couple other guys

scooped up the talent. By then we depleted whatever was left of the top WRs. That's the thing about those serpentine drafts; you could easily screw up if you follow the herd. I got D.A. in the seventh and Warner in the ninth. Got quality at each spot and watched as some guys STILL were following runs instead of making a smart decision.

We had our draft two weeks ago, and usually that sucks to do so that early. However, I wouldn't have been able to pick Warner up as a free agent like i did! Talk about a steal!

Just wait until the Cards give Leinart "one last shot" at starting in the NFL. It's bound to happen in the middle/end of this year, and Warner will be benched. :doh:

In other words, Warner isn't reliable for the entire season, IMO.

Just wait until the Cards give Leinart "one last shot" at starting in the NFL. It's bound to happen in the middle/end of this year, and Warner will be benched

I disagree.

Whisenhunt is more likely to be fired if the Cardinals don't win games than if Leinart is riding the bench.

Ideally, management would like Leinart to be leading the team to victory, but he's not ready to do so.

If Warner can lead this team to a good start and a possible chase for the playoffs, he'll never sit down.

Just wait until the Cards give Leinart "one last shot" at starting in the NFL. It's bound to happen in the middle/end of this year, and Warner will be benched. :doublethumbsup:

In other words, Warner isn't reliable for the entire season, IMO.

Yep, that will happen if the Cards are out of the playoffs and Warner sucked the entire year and deserved to be benched.

In other words, I'll put as much concern into that as I would with any of my other players. A lot of us drafted Warner as a backup only to realize perhaps he is better than their #1. I say ride him while he's starting.

I disagree.

Whisenhunt is more likely to be fired if the Cardinals don't win games than if Leinart is riding the bench.

Ideally, management would like Leinart to be leading the team to victory, but he's not ready to do so.

If Warner can lead this team to a good start and a possible chase for the playoffs, he'll never sit down.

Count me as a person who doesn't think the Cards will be all that close to a playoff spot, and thus start Leinart at some point.

I hear about how the Cards are a great sleeper team every year. Lots of talent, weak division, ... I hear it every year, and I never see it happen. So, my guess would be Leinart starting a few games at some point towards the end of the season.

In one of my leagues (non-PPR), you can start either a RB, WR or QB at the Flex spot, and I have both Brees and Warner. I'll prolly start Warner or McFadden at the Flex (Barber and Maroney are my starting RB's), but leaning towards Warner.