Sign in to follow this  
ree10

LenWhale vs. Chris Johnson

:crickets:

:doublethumbsup:

(answer: no one knows)

:rolleyes:

(that's CJ3 until he gets beyond being a one week wonder; he's a bye week filler behind Addai and Jacobs unless I get an offer)

FWIW, at best it's ADP-lite and Chester kind of deal. But straight line speed alone probably doesn't make him truly special or elite, so I think full-fledged RBBC is the more likely outcome.

He's going agains cincy this weekend. You might as well start both Lendale and Chris Johsnon :rolleyes:

:crickets:

:bench:

(answer: no one knows)

:rolleyes:

(that's CJ3 until he gets beyond being a one week wonder; he's a bye week filler behind Addai and Jacobs unless I get an offer)

FWIW, at best it's ADP-lite and Chester kind of deal. But straight line speed alone probably doesn't make him truly special or elite, so I think full-fledged RBBC is the more likely outcome.

Dude, have you seen this kid play or are you just looking at his 4.2 combine speed? C'mon man, this kid is a BALLER and the only question is durability which hasn't been a an issue yet (stayed healthy in college with a huge workload) and only had cramps last week not an injury like most websites were reporting.

Dude is gonna be a stud imo He's a top end #3 back right now and if he shows he can stay healthy for a few more weeks he'll be a solid #2 RB forcing owners who have guys like McGahee, Edge, type #2 backs to put them on the :doublethumbsup: for CJ3!

But straight line speed alone probably doesn't make him truly special or elite, so I think full-fledged RBBC is the more likely outcome

Anyone who's seen clips of his carries knows he has a good bit more than "straightline speed".. were he 15 lbs of muscle larger, he would've easily gone ahead of every other guy coming out this year. He's got GREAT vision and terrific lateral quickness, his hands are very good.. there's a lot to be impressed with.

Now he's not on a dynamic offense (he is their only real spark).. but their line is very good and healthy right now. Were he on a more balanced team.. even one like Carolina.. he'd be even more highly touted. He runs well inside but does had a tendency to try to bust everything to an outside lane. If Tennessee can put any kind of passing game together with Collins or when VY comes back, that can give them any balance.. he will flat out will score some serious long TDs this season.

Sorry to rebabble like i'm some scout or something, but he really has it all.. just in a smaller package (heh, that sounds funny).

I don't disagree that people are off the deep end on him early. Who knows about his durability on the pro level, with his size, etc., the Titans offense ain't the trickiest to defend.. but give Heimerdinger a little time to change some of that.. and figure out how to best to use the kid.

I can't see him as a natural GL choice when they have Fatdale & even Henry to go to.. but he will get plenty of RZ touches close up, for sure.. he's a tough little cat to stop up close if you've watched him play. I'll take ADP-lite if that's what your given man. Sounds good to me. He reminds me a bit of Portis as a rook.. but with a faster top gear.. and he seems to really like to catch the ball.

Nice RBs btw

Fisher is a smart coach..

Small/quick defenses will see a lot of Lendale White

Big/slower defenses (like the Jags) will see a lot of Chris Johnson..

Play accordingly...

Play accordingly...

Agree completely.

I think both will be good plays each week. Titans run the ball like mofos so there will be plenty of carries for each of them.

Play accordingly...

That may be true to a certain degree, but CJ will get his chances against them all. Lendale may approach 50/50 against the smaller quicker defenses, but CJ is more than just speed. He'll get the 3rd down touches no matter what and will be on a regular rotation with Lendale even against the smaller, quicker defenses. As has already been posted, CJ is the only dynamic part of this offense and the coaches know it. They plan on making use of that fact as much as possible. I look for his touches to increase throughout the year.

Play accordingly...

So what is Cincinatti? Big and slow or small and quick?

Dude, CJ3 is way more than straight line speed. Dude has great hands, good vision, and better power than you think. He is a better inside runner than Reggie Bush right now.

And you'll notice who got the start against a tough Jags D in week 1 in a crucial division game?

Yes, Lendale will get his. But CJ3 is going to be the guy. I own both, but if I had to dump one, it would be Lendale. The Titans O line is good at opening holes, and CJ3 is so fast he can take any carry to the house. He has the kind of speed that changes tackling angles.

I'm gonna start both backs against cincy this week. I see 25 carries apeice as likely.

I'm thinking about starting CJ3 at my flex this week over Edge...

Who would you play at flex in this situation?

Start 2 RB's and 2 WR's with one Flex...

RB's:

SJAX

B Jacobs

Edge

C Johnson

D Williams

WR's

R Wayne

D Driver

E Royal

Royal looks appealing too after a huge week, but I'm leaning towards Edge @ MIA or CJ# @ Cinci...

Play accordingly...

Fisher IS a smart coach which is why he'll probably never play Chris Johnson as much as FF'ers want him to. The Titans have always featured a power running game with Fisher and Lendale is Fisher's hammer to wear down defenses. Lendale can handle a lot of carries and move the chains. There's always going to be a place for that with Fisher.

Chris Johnson will see his time, he's too good not to play, but Fisher will always go back to the power running game too.

I'm guessing either 50/50 or 60/40 for Lendale this year. JMHO

Dude, CJ3 is way more than straight line speed. Dude has great hands, good vision, and better power than you think. He is a better inside runner than Reggie Bush right now.

And you'll notice who got the start against a tough Jags D in week 1 in a crucial division game?

Yes, Lendale will get his. But CJ3 is going to be the guy. I own both, but if I had to dump one, it would be Lendale. The Titans O line is good at opening holes, and CJ3 is so fast he can take any carry to the house. He has the kind of speed that changes tackling angles.

I'm gonna start both backs against cincy this week. I see 25 carries apeice as likely.

As a former WR it's not a stretch to say he will be very good option out of the backfield, but "great hands" ignores the most noticeable physical attribute he possesses besides his blinding speed - he has exceptionally small hands. He had ball control issues in college.

What exactly do you base your good vision assessment upon? This is where you really start to lose me. I don't know anybody who has scouted CJ3 who thinks patience or vision are strengths; rather, he hits the hole explosively - when it's there. His lack of experience as a feature back (he moved back there last fall) is probably the reason why his vision or running instincts hasn't developed more fully. I get the sense you are just reaching for cliche platitudes, though - the one thing you really cannot say about him at this stage is he has good vision.

The Jags blew it when they let Stroud go; you saw the results of not having an outsized man clogging up the middle last weekend.

25 carries each? In one game? Seriously...Atlanta put on a running clinic last weekend, but Turner and Norwood only got 22 and 14 respectively.

I own CJ3 on both my teams, and expect him to contribute, but let's hold off on that bronze bust for at least a few more weeks. He is a poor blocker and has a history of fumbling; just saying there are valid reasons why he will not be the every down back in the near future.

So what is Cincinatti? Big and slow or small and quick?

Cincy is a combination of the two.

Let's just say they are small and slow.

lol

as far as talent goes, Chris Johnson is more talented, less durable, and doesnt have the personality issues that are apparent with a Lendale White.

I think he will be the starter by mid season, but this will still be a RBBC. Think Julius Jones and Marion Barber, but with White not being as good as barber and Johnson being better than julius Jones.

Either way, I expect both RB's to have a good week against Cinci

I personally (as both a White and CJ3 owner) believe Chris Johnson will be on the field as often as possible.

What we saw last week vs. the Jags was just a taste.

Look..he's a rookie, who came into a situation where the starting RB had 1000yds+ and 7TD's (IIRC).

Johnson, NOT the incumbent, got the start. And had it not been for calf cramps, would've clearly had a much bigger impact than the 15 carries he had.

He's the real deal. Hands down.

Lendale will almost always get GL unless somehow CJ3 can prove he's more productive at it.

Lendale can't catch, doesn't have half CJ3's speed or elusiveness, and isn't nearly as motivated.

Fisher will give this kid every opportunity to excel, without burning him out.

And to whoever said he's not durable, doesn't know much about him.

He did have a neck injury on college, but in his Senior year absolutely went OFF.

He does have fumbling problems. Good coaching can fix that.

I think we've only seen the tip of the iceberg folks.

16 and 33.. hey, i agree with it being premature and i appreciate your notes on him.. but they don't really reconcile with the things i've read online about him and what we have been seeing on the pro level (granted much of it in the preseason against srcubs).. See NFL souting report linked below. They compare him to Dave Meggett.. no ones saying he's the next Gayle Sayers, but he looks special and both Westy & Portis were mighty mights when they first emerged.

The TD catch he had this week on the rug burning pass from VY was better than most good catching RBs are capable of.. and you can clearly see from watching him play that his vision to find seams and extend plays is very good. This report does confirm that he's a converted WR and that he has small hands. It praises his blocking ability for a small back and praises his vision. Also mentions how strong he is and that he's has exceptional strength.

At any rate.. i'm likely to hold onto him and play him at #3 unless i can roll him into a deal for a sig. better back. Not that I currently have better options.

NFL.com Draft Report on CJ3

RE: vision - maybe it's a semantics thingy. When I see someone like Forte pick there way to the hole with quick shifty feet, patiently waiting for a seam to exploit, that to me is a RB with great vision. CJ3 is a guy who gets to the hole in a hurry - if it's there.

What you described (the pass he turned into a long gainer), to me, falls under open field moves - but I guess just as easily say "he had the vision to know where defenders were..."

Anyway, I like the guy a lot, I just see a few small holes in his makeup that might keep him off the field from time to time. He's a lot of fun to watch, and has awesome potential.

I see a lot of Chris Johnson owners rooting for what they want to see happen in this thread. Maybe they're right but I highly doubt it. I'm a LenWhale owner but he's my 3rd/4th option so I don't care all that much. I agree Chris Johnson will receive plenty of playing time based on talent, but this is going to be nothing more than a 50/50 split imo.

As a former WR it's not a stretch to say he will be very good option out of the backfield, but "great hands" ignores the most noticeable physical attribute he possesses besides his blinding speed - he has exceptionally small hands. He had ball control issues in college.

What exactly do you base your good vision assessment upon? This is where you really start to lose me. I don't know anybody who has scouted CJ3 who thinks patience or vision are strengths; rather, he hits the hole explosively - when it's there. His lack of experience as a feature back (he moved back there last fall) is probably the reason why his vision or running instincts hasn't developed more fully. I get the sense you are just reaching for cliche platitudes, though - the one thing you really cannot say about him at this stage is he has good vision.

The Jags blew it when they let Stroud go; you saw the results of not having an outsized man clogging up the middle last weekend.

25 carries each? In one game? Seriously...Atlanta put on a running clinic last weekend, but Turner and Norwood only got 22 and 14 respectively.

I own CJ3 on both my teams, and expect him to contribute, but let's hold off on that bronze bust for at least a few more weeks. He is a poor blocker and has a history of fumbling; just saying there are valid reasons why he will not be the every down back in the near future.

I'm just going by what I've seen so far. He finds the hole quickly and hits it explosively. Maybe they are so large that they don't require vision.

As to the "ball security issues" has he fumbled at all yet? I haven't seen it, but I won't swear it hasn't happened.

As to the "poor blocker", that's not what the coaches are saying in the press, so I'll take their word for it.

I don't think the Bengals are going to be able to do sh!t, so the Titans will have the ball a lot. The Bengals suck at stopping the run, so I expect the Titans to run the ball like its going out of style. We'll see though.

So fellow LenDale owners....

would you drop his fat ass if a guy like Sammy Morris or Pierre Thomas was availabe?

I would walk, no run to the computer and make either move. LenDale is DONE in Tennessee. Anyone who can't see that knows nothing about football. :thumbsup:

I would walk, no run to the computer and make either move. LenDale is DONE in Tennessee. Anyone who can't see that knows nothing about football. :thumbsup:

This is a ridiculous statement. How is he done? 1 game by a rookie and he is done. Dont think so. And no I would keep the Whale over both Morris and Thomas. The Whale will actuallly do very good this weekend.

Lendale clearly has a role there. I assume you're being facetious.

Lendale should still hit 7TD's, etc.

But Johnson will get his as well. I expect more from yardage than from TD's.

I personally (as both a White and CJ3 owner) believe Chris Johnson will be on the field as often as possible.

What we saw last week vs. the Jags was just a taste.

Look..he's a rookie, who came into a situation where the starting RB had 1000yds+ and 7TD's (IIRC).

Johnson, NOT the incumbent, got the start. And had it not been for calf cramps, would've clearly had a much bigger impact than the 15 carries he had.

He's the real deal. Hands down.

Lendale will almost always get GL unless somehow CJ3 can prove he's more productive at it.

Lendale can't catch, doesn't have half CJ3's speed or elusiveness, and isn't nearly as motivated.

Fisher will give this kid every opportunity to excel, without burning him out.

And to whoever said he's not durable, doesn't know much about him.

He did have a neck injury on college, but in his Senior year absolutely went OFF.

He does have fumbling problems. Good coaching can fix that.

I think we've only seen the tip of the iceberg folks.

Whenever you have a RB who is as small as he is, there are always going to be durability questions.

The fact of the matter is.... a guy who is 5'11 and 205 lbs is rarely able to take the same amount of punishment that a guy who is 6'3 and 225 lbs.

especially when you note that the average defender in the NFL is 20% bigger, 20% faster , 20% stronger and 50% smarter than your average college player that Johnson went up against.

I agree he is the real deal, but I'd say its a slim chance he will ever be that workhorse back until he has had a year or two to adjust (and maybe put on a few pounds). If it happens, it is likely to happen later in his career like it did for Tiki Barber or at least a year or two into his career like Westbrook.

My feeling is that if he gets played a lot early (like Julius jones) you could burn him out before his body is physically mature enough to take the pounding that you take as a RB in the NFL.

you could probably take that quote and apply it to Reggie Bush too.

That's not to say he wont be productive. I just dont think hes gonna be a 25 carry a night guy for at least a year or two.

What you described (the pass he turned into a long gainer),

I was describing the swing pass he scored on Week 1 -- the ball from Vince was behind him and low and he was able to scoop it up and then somehow shift his weight forward and pop into the endzone.. wasn't a Cris Carter one handed snatch, but it was a really nice play.

Anyway.. from knowing d*ck about the guy and bumping him up on my RB rankings at the draft, just from betting on Lendale to not make it through the seaon.. he's turned into a pretty cool new toy :(

Just stay healthy m'f'er ;)

This is a ridiculous statement. How is he done? 1 game by a rookie and he is done. Dont think so. And no I would keep the Whale over both Morris and Thomas. The Whale will actuallly do very good this weekend.

Really? You think so? I was pretty sure he was done based on my earlier replies. :music_guitarred:

Whenever you have a RB who is as small as he is, there are always going to be durability questions.

The fact of the matter is.... a guy who is 5'11 and 205 lbs is rarely able to take the same amount of punishment that a guy who is 6'3 and 225 lbs.

especially when you note that the average defender in the NFL is 20% bigger, 20% faster , 20% stronger and 50% smarter than your average college player that Johnson went up against.

I agree he is the real deal, but I'd say its a slim chance he will ever be that workhorse back until he has had a year or two to adjust (and maybe put on a few pounds). If it happens, it is likely to happen later in his career like it did for Tiki Barber or at least a year or two into his career like Westbrook.

My feeling is that if he gets played a lot early (like Julius jones) you could burn him out before his body is physically mature enough to take the pounding that you take as a RB in the NFL.

That's not to say he wont be productive. I just dont think hes gonna be a 25 carry a night guy for at least a year or two.

Just saying:

Terrell Davis. Height: 5-11 Weight: 210

Emmitt Smith: Height: 5' 9"; Weight: 207 lbs

Barry Sanders: Height: 5-8 Weight: 200

Warrick Dunn: Height: 5-9 Weight: 180

Brian Westbrook, RB. Height/Weight: 5-10/203

Clinton Portis: Height: 5-11 Weight: 212

Chris Johnson (RB). Height: 5'11". Weight: 197

I'm just saying...he's the exact same size as Brian Westbrook.

Yes, Westbrook does have durability issues, but it doesn't seem to stop people from taking him in the 1st round.

Ok...how many fudgin RB's are 6'3"....maybe one...and he's 6'4" and 260lbs...his name is Brandon jacobs...otherwise known as Brenda Jacobs because he gets hurt so much!

Size isn't really the issue for Rb's...obviously you have to be a premier athelete but guys like Duckett and Jacobs, etc are big mothers yet are hurt all the time...yet guys like B Sanders, Emmitt, W Dunn were more durable and much smaller. It has more to do with running style and knowing when to go down...

Ok...how many fudgin RB's are 6'3"....maybe one...and he's 6'4" and 260lbs...his name is Brandon jacobs...otherwise known as Brenda Jacobs because he gets hurt so much!

Size isn't really the issue for Rb's...obviously you have to be a premier athelete but guys like Duckett and Jacobs, etc are big mothers yet are hurt all the time...yet guys like B Sanders, Emmitt, W Dunn were more durable and much smaller. It has more to do with running style and knowing when to go down...

Thanks for saying what I said; except an hour later, with no facts, and doing no research. :unsure:

Just saying:

Terrell Davis. Height: 5-11 Weight: 210

Emmitt Smith: Height: 5' 9"; Weight: 207 lbs

Barry Sanders: Height: 5-8 Weight: 200

Warrick Dunn: Height: 5-9 Weight: 180

Brian Westbrook, RB. Height/Weight: 5-10/203

Clinton Portis: Height: 5-11 Weight: 212

Chris Johnson (RB). Height: 5'11". Weight: 197

I'm just saying...he's the exact same size as Brian Westbrook.

Yes, Westbrook does have durability issues, but it doesn't seem to stop people from taking him in the 1st round.

Hey, I'm not saying he cant get the job done. I love what I saw in the last game.

what I am saying is that for every Barry Sanders out there, there are a ton of players who crash and burn, and a handful of Warrick dunns and Julius Jones who stick as pros, but never become the big stars they were supposed to be.

I am pointing out is that his size will be a concern and if I was his coach I would probably hold off a year or two before giving him a full workload so that the guy has a more physically mature body that is better able to handle the pounding.

you could also make an arguement that it helps to wait a year or two until the player is mentally stronger.

With that being said, my initial arguement was actually that Johnston was the superior back to Lendale, but that the above was cause for concern. I still stand by this assessment, and I think it will be at least a year (maybe 2) until Lendale is cut loose unless his presence causes problems for the team. (make note of the spitting incident when Lendale was a rookie)

You could argue that Lendale has already lost his job, but I honestly think that even if he loses the starting role, he will remain there to compliment Johnson for the year and this will not change in the near future.

also, of note: at 5'11 and 197 lbs, I would expect his playing weight to jump to about 205 or 210 within the next 2 years. At this time, he is more likely to take 20-25 touches per game.

Thanks for saying what I said; except an hour later, with no facts, and doing no research. :doublethumbsup:

actually dipstick... what i said was a continuation of your post. You did not mention Duckett or Jacobs or running style etc...you posted a bunch of guys measurables and compared him to Westy. Our posts were easily different

you're like the 2 guys in the Coke commercial wanting to sue Coke Zero...you have infringement issues... :cheers:

Hey, I'm not saying he cant get the job done. I love what I saw in the last game.

what I am saying is that for every Barry Sanders out there, there are a ton of players who crash and burn, and a handful of Warrick dunns and Julius Jones who stick as pros, but never become the big stars they were supposed to be.

I am pointing out is that his size will be a concern and if I was his coach I would probably hold off a year or two before giving him a full workload so that the guy has a more physically mature body that is better able to handle the pounding.

you could also make an arguement that it helps to wait a year or two until the player is mentally stronger.

With that being said, my initial arguement was actually that Johnston was the superior back to Lendale, but that the above was cause for concern. I still stand by this assessment, and I think it will be at least a year (maybe 2) until Lendale is cut loose unless his presence causes problems for the team. (make note of the spitting incident when Lendale was a rookie)

You could argue that Lendale has already lost his job, but I honestly think that even if he loses the starting role, he will remain there to compliment Johnson for the year and this will not change in the near future.

also, of note: at 5'11 and 197 lbs, I would expect his playing weight to jump to about 205 or 210 within the next 2 years. At this time, he is more likely to take 20-25 touches per game.

Agree with your analysis. Especially the bolded part.

I'm not ready to annoint him as Marshall Faulk, Edge or Sanders just yet.

But I think we agree, we CAN'T disregard what he's shown so far. He's NO Jerious Norwood.

He is the real deal.

its way too early to tell if he has the skill to be an impact player in the pros. You definitely need a lot more samplings or games to really find out if he has true professional talent. The question is whens the time to pick him up. Pick him up right now why his stocks low or wait and it might be too late. The way i look at it, if you have an extra roster spot take the gamble, if he doesn't pan out drop him. I know there's a fine line but high risk high reward

its way too early to tell if he has the skill to be an impact player in the pros. You definitely need a lot more samplings or games to really find out if he has true professional talent. The question is whens the time to pick him up. Pick him up right now why his stocks low or wait and it might be too late. The way i look at it, if you have an extra roster spot take the gamble, if he doesn't pan out drop him. I know there's a fine line but high risk high reward

I don't want to get ahead of myself here but you say "The way i look at it, if you have an extra roster spot take the gamble, if he doesn't pan out drop him". I dont think he is a gamble whatsoever. In my opinion he will be a top 20 back here on out(at least, i honestly think top 12-15) Judging by your sig maybe hes a gamble in a 8 team league that you play in but hes a solid player on my team. This guy will touch the ball 15 times a game at least. He is a 3rd tier RB in my eyes with potential for 2nd tier. That is not a gamble in any way. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I really like this guy..

I don't want to get ahead of myself here but you say "The way i look at it, if you have an extra roster spot take the gamble, if he doesn't pan out drop him". I dont think he is a gamble whatsoever. In my opinion he will be a top 20 back here on out(at least, i honestly think top 12-15) Judging by your sig maybe hes a gamble in a 8 team league that you play in but hes a solid player on my team. This guy will touch the ball 15 times a game at least. He is a 3rd tier RB in my eyes with potential for 2nd tier. That is not a gamble in any way. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I really like this guy..

Point taken. I think anyone is expecting too much after a great first game. But i do think he will be very good. Yes i am in an 8 team league, 1 keeper, i try every year to get 2 more teams but we've been doing it for 8 years now and no one wants to change. Also in a 10 team league for a long time too, just too mix it up. But i am high on this kid and i hope he touches the ball 15 times a game.

I'd agree with that.

sometimes it's hard to get ahead without taking a chance or two, and when you're dumping backups to pickup guys who may do well, you are taking a chance (a small one) but the upside is worth the risk.

as for the guy who said it's too early to tell.... Yes, it is early, but if you watched exhibition and the first game of the year, there's lots to be excited about.

and there are certain things you can tell early, and I think he's shown the talent. The question is whether he can put it together consistently. He needs to work on some blocking that I saw looked a little subpar, but this is normal for rookies. We shall wait & see.